PDA

View Full Version : Dogs Running Deer

AT&T
12-04-2010, 09:22 AM
I guess this post is largley for rural residents of BC. So what is your take on seeing dogs running critters with their tounges hanging out?

sawmill
12-04-2010, 09:23 AM
30.06 in the head.:evil:

AT&T
12-04-2010, 09:37 AM
Okay. I just wasnt sure if one should be careful from the CO perpective on this site. I understand completely.

Devilbear
12-04-2010, 09:38 AM
In the past, primarily when still living at "home" in the Kootenays, I would see dogs running deer, a natural behaviour for them. I would contact the owners and discuss it with them and also contact the local CO and this USUALLY solved the problem.

As a dog person and lifelong conservationist, one who fought from age 15 to preserve wilderness and for wildlife habitat in the Kootenays and other areas of BC, I would NEVER shoot a dog before taking every possible,, legal means of dealing with a problem. I love dogs, have "rescued" some and re-trained them and know what can be done, by responsible and serious conservationists.

If, some person were to shoot one of my beloved Rottweilers and then were to strut his macho bullshit about it, especially where I was born, raised and where my forbears pioneered, I would be VERY upset, actually heartbroken and I am one who still practices my Viking heritage.

The problem is not dog(s), or "quads" or even the intrusion of newcomers rural homes into traditional Kootenay wildlife habitat, it is ignorance and a lack of responsibility as is so common in contemporary society. The solution is education and serious penalties for those who allow their dogs to run free, drive their "quads" in alpine meadows or run game with them...as well as their tattooed, insolent and destructive offspring and habitat-destroying livestock... Serious fines and bans on dog ownership is one realistic aspect of the solution.

I favour a ban on gun ownership for anyone who just blasts away at a dog as has happend several times recently in various regions of BC' NO responsible gun owner does this and, having been shot at by such bozos, I am not patient with their antics.

digger dogger
12-04-2010, 09:54 AM
Well said D.B There are situations that a person has think about before just blasting a persons dog, for running deer.
(tell the owner first before killing they're dog)
Possibly a child left a gate open! (tough lesson for a kid)

BromBones
12-04-2010, 09:55 AM
That's something that really grinds my gears. I've had problems with neighbor dogs chasing critters around my place, as well as chasing my horses which is a big no-no.

It's natural for many dogs to want to chase, especially if there's a pair of em. Usually it's the owners who aren't responsible enough to keep their dogs at home. Hard to blame a dog for just being a dog - probably be more effective to beat the owner.

Bighorn hunter
12-04-2010, 10:00 AM
It's natural for many dogs to want to chase, especially if there's a pair of em. Usually it's the owners who aren't responsible enough to keep their dogs at home. Hard to blame a dog for just being a dog - probably be more effective to beat the owner.

X2

It really peeves me when I see it, and let the local CO know about it. But like said, it is generally the owners fault, not the dogs

BH

Devilbear
12-04-2010, 10:04 AM
Some of the azzhole hippies with starving crossbred dogs I knew in the Kootenays used to say, "it's natural, man"....and, hitting those dipsh!t muthfuggers with a Pulaski would not have awakened them to any responsibility!

This is why I like to have Rottweilers on duty, other dogs just will not mess with them and they are a drover breed and will ignore deer to protect their turf and cows-sheep-horses. They are amazing with horses and herd sheep like a good Collie.

Casagrande
12-04-2010, 10:08 AM
30.06 in the head.:evil:
Could you be a little more clear?:mrgreen:

Gateholio
12-04-2010, 10:14 AM
Like it or not, right or wrong- Some people shoot dogs that are running deer.

Nobody loves your dogs as much as you, so keep them under control or there may be problems.

Rob
12-04-2010, 10:21 AM
My last lab was guilty of it a couple of times. While out on the quad she would leap off and take chase after a deer. didnt take long to change this behaviour with her though. Glad no one shot her during that short transition period.

guntech
12-04-2010, 10:22 AM
I guess this post is largely for rural residents of BC. So what is your take on seeing dogs running critters with their tongues hanging out?

The title subject of this thread (Dog running deer) is different than your question ... dogs running critters...

Most of the time 'running critters' in a rural setting is usually some farmers livestock. In this instance the farmer has every right to shoot the dogs.

Running deer is a CO's problem.

Pete
12-04-2010, 10:22 AM
I really like dog(s) so don't get me wrong. I do the predator control on an 8000 head cattle ranch. The ranch is clearly posted, Absolutely No Dogs. Over the years we have had problems with folks letting their dogs loose and unfortunately the dogs chase the deer as well as the cows and calves. If you like your dog do not let it loose where it can run deer or livestock. If the dog is running our stock it will not be coming home tonight.

AT&T
12-04-2010, 10:38 AM
I guess I should of written critters-livestock and Wildlife. If you have livestock on your property you can shoot dogs harrasing them. If dogs are chasing both livestock and wildlife then I guess the same applies. A person can get in trouble for shooting dogs running on crown land. I am not saying you should or shouldnt but contacting the owner is a good idea. Too many times the owners dont care. Some dogs know what they are up to is no good. As soon as they see you they take off like a coyote. Either way it is really hard on wildlfie and livestock. On my own land in the West Kootenays I am not too tolerant. Most people here understand that especially on your own land one is justified. I like dogs alot. This however is not the point.

KB90
12-04-2010, 10:41 AM
At a farm I hunt they had problems with a pack of three dogs (a german shepard, a lab, and mutt of some kind) chasing cattle and deer. And were they ever wild, soon as they seen people they headed for the bush, none of them had collars and they were all in pretty rough shape. They were hunting like wolves.

It took a couple days but all three ended up getting shot.

I was always curious to know if they ever did take down a deer...... I know they didn't get any calves.

Ronforca
12-04-2010, 10:46 AM
The problem is usually not one dog,it is packs of dogs that do most of the running of Deer.Haveseen a lot of dogs shot when running in packs.Sad to say I have had to shoot the odd one myself.

Barracuda
12-04-2010, 10:48 AM
Do a search on this as it has been hashed out before.

again for the slow people and the cheap seats, It is illegal for a pvt citizen to shoot a dog chasing wildlife.

even a landowner with livestock has to follow certain rules before they take that measure.

You cannot shoot a dog for simply being on your property.

Spokerider
12-04-2010, 11:09 AM
In the past, primarily when still living at "home" in the Kootenays, I would see dogs running deer, a natural behaviour for them. I would contact the owners and discuss it with them and also contact the local CO and this USUALLY solved the problem.

As a dog person and lifelong conservationist, one who fought from age 15 to preserve wilderness and for wildlife habitat in the Kootenays and other areas of BC, I would NEVER shoot a dog before taking every possible,, legal means of dealing with a problem. I love dogs, have "rescued" some and re-trained them and know what can be done, by responsible and serious conservationists.

If, some person were to shoot one of my beloved Rottweilers and then were to strut his macho bullshit about it, especially where I was born, raised and where my forbears pioneered, I would be VERY upset, actually heartbroken and I am one who still practices my Viking heritage.

The problem is not dog(s), or "quads" or even the intrusion of newcomers rural homes into traditional Kootenay wildlife habitat, it is ignorance and a lack of responsibility as is so common in contemporary society. The solution is education and serious penalties for those who allow their dogs to run free, drive their "quads" in alpine meadows or run game with them...as well as their tattooed, insolent and destructive offspring and habitat-destroying livestock... Serious fines and bans on dog ownership is one realistic aspect of the solution.

I favour a ban on gun ownership for anyone who just blasts away at a dog as has happend several times recently in various regions of BC' NO responsible gun owner does this and, having been shot at by such bozos, I am not patient with their antics.

Yup.
IMO, there are dogs than run deer, as in packs of dogs that are left to roam the open country side often with their owners oblivious to their antics or worse, without their owners care or concern. Conversely, there are dogs that come from responsible ownership, who may break away on a hot deer track for 10 mins or so while with their owners on a hike in the back fourty. What do these dogs have in common? A predatory instinct. There is no switch to turn it off.....

All dogs are predators. Some have a propensity for ratting, pointing birds, digging for badger, chasing rabbits or running the irresistable deer.

In the hound world, the only thing worse than a hound that chases deer is a hound that won`t chase anything, deer included. That being said, most hounds find the scent of deer irresistable, and give chase if the opportunity presents itself. It`s in their blood. Houndsmen do their darndest to break the dogs from deer, but, some dogs are pretty hard headed, and require regular seasonal trash breaking tune ups, lol.

Some people have zero-tolerance in their lives for anything that doesn`t march to their steadfast beat of values and ideals. Why are some so inflexible and rigid with their tolerance of what differs from their opinion? Sadly, folks like this would not think twice about shooting ANY dog that dares chase a deer, if only for a few minutes.

I do not blame dogs for running deer, much as I do not blame a hunter for the adrenalin rush felt when stalking game. If one must place blame, place it upon the dog owner, where it belongs.

Some dog owners will advocate for their dogs to the bitter end, with loyal convictions for their canine companions running very deep, particularly if they have a vested responsible-ownership program in place. Before you level the gun and take aim at any dog, ask yourself what good would come of this? and if you`re ready for possibly the greastest retribution you`ve yet to experince in life.

Shooter
12-04-2010, 11:23 AM
Here's a true little story that relates to the thread. When I was a little kid, probably 11 years or so old. We rescued a dog that was found abandoned on the top of Mt Arrowsmith. The dog was just a puppy and was extremely emaciated when he was found. That dog had some serious psychological issues. We lived at the base of the Beaufort Range in Port Alberni at the time so our backyard stretched all the way to Courtenay. Well it took a very long time to get that puppy to trust any of use but after a long while he really began to come around, however he was a VERY "soft" dog. You could not raise your voice at him or he would dart under one of the outbuildings and hide there sometimes for a whole day. If we tried to put him on a leash or tie him up he would literally come unglued, to the point he would hurt himself trying to pull away. He would pull until his neck was raw.

Well one day my dad caught him running deer in one of the back fields. He called him home and scolded him over it. As usual the dog hid under the shed for awhile but then got hungry around dinner time and all was good again. My dad at the time was kind of upset and he did say that if he caught the dog running deer again that we would need to put him down because he just couldn't be doing that. It wasn't just because of deer but the fact that we also lived in farm country and we couldn't have a dog that was running wildlife because it could be cattle next.

Well as far as we knew he was pretty good for quite a long while, however one day he went missing for a bit and no one knew where he was. So I went for a dirtbike ride kind of looking for him and my step brother went for a drive up the road. Well as my step brother was driving up the road he saw our dog in a farmers field on the dead run. (and man could that dog run, fastest I have ever seen to this day) Shortly in front of the dog was a deer... :frown: As my stepbrother was watching this unfold quite a ways away (too far to intervene) the shot rang out and our dog piled up. The farmer whose property our dog had gone onto had shot him, in front of my stepbrother. The farmer didn't know he was there and it really didn't matter. He did what needed to be done and there are no hard feelings.

There really is no moral to this story just something I thought I would share. This thread brought up the memory of old Rusty. I think the time he spent alone on the top of the mountain almost to the brink of death really brought out some animalistic instincts in him that he never could shake. In the end that didn't mix well with the farm type. He was a good dog... kind of.

Drillbit
12-04-2010, 11:23 AM
If my dog was chasing animals, I would expect it to be shot.

Where I'm from, dogs that don't stay on their property don't last too long.

Sleep Robber
12-04-2010, 11:53 AM
I don't know too much about dogs running around after peoples stock on ranches and such.I do know that when I was growing up on the Island, and a fella found his bird hunting dog running deer, he'd shoot it on the spot. Basically useless to him after they run deer. Tough thing to do, but that's what they did back then, and I imagine, some still do today.

12-04-2010, 11:58 AM
I guess this post is largley for rural residents of BC. So what is your take on seeing dogs running critters with their tounges hanging out?

I understand it's very tempting to just plug the dogs one witnesses doing this, but I can you that friend of mine did this once and ended up getting himself into a whole boatload of trouble.

M.Dean
12-04-2010, 12:31 PM
Far as I know it's "Code Of The West", shoot em dead!!!

AT&T
12-04-2010, 12:49 PM
What brought me to this post was finding a picture I forgot I had. It is a mule deer fetus. It was so small. You can see the bite marks in its side. When I picked it up it was still warm!! The little umbilical courd hanging off it. The mother was just over gaurd rail her stomach tore out. Her body steaming from the fresh attack. The dog dropped the fetus out of his mouth as he was running down the road. So to those of you opposed to shooting dogs. To those of you in favor. Just think about being there. I was sad and mad at the same time. Sincerely

Sleep Robber
12-04-2010, 02:44 PM
Now that I think about it, I remember witnessing a guys Rottweiler hanging of a farmers dairy cow. He had his teeth sunk into the back of the cows hide. The cow was trying to shake the dog off, but to no avail. The farmer had his lead hand get the "farm gun" and they both wrestled the dog off and shot it dead, without hesitation. That dairy cow is worth roughly $1000 give or take, and the main source of his income. I would have done the same, as it's the dog owners responsibility to keep his/her dog under control.

Hypothetically speaking, if I'm hunting birds and my dog runs deer, I'm coming home alone, if it's obvious I can't control him. No matter how painful it would be for me to do this, it will happen again.

troutseeker
12-04-2010, 03:00 PM
Like it or not, right or wrong- Some people shoot dogs that are running deer.

Nobody loves your dogs as much as you, so keep them under control or there may be problems.

You know Gates, I am wondering what is going on with you??? The last little while you have been nothing but a cool headed, intelligently spoken, mild mannered person... Are you on Prozak or sumthin'g?:)

I miss the abrasive, outspoken and blunt Gatehouse, can we please get him back?

ruger#1
12-04-2010, 03:16 PM
Do a search on this as it has been hashed out before.

again for the slow people and the cheap seats, It is illegal for a pvt citizen to shoot a dog chasing wildlife.

even a landowner with livestock has to follow certain rules before they take that measure.

You cannot shoot a dog for simply being on your property.This is where the three SSS come in handy.

bugler
12-04-2010, 03:32 PM
Both my father and my step father shot neighbors dogs back in the day. In both cases they had contacted the owners, one of whom was a friend of ours, and told them that they were going to shoot the dog if they saw it chasing (cattle one time, deer the other) and to please keep the dog home. The response was "it must not be our dog, our dog is always home when we get home". The dogs got dead because of owner irresponsibility and there were no hard feelings in either case.

You should try and warn the owners first but if they continue chasing they gotta go.

steel_ram
12-04-2010, 03:32 PM
Chances are a normally well behaved dog chasing a deer on occasion is probably not going to be busted, nor successful. One that does it often, and actually runs down deer is worse than a natural predator, and should be taken care of. Unfortunately chasing it down and getting tag info is not possible. May not be the dogs fault but too bad.

takla1
12-04-2010, 03:48 PM
i used to own german sheperds and one perticular dog i had developed a taste for chicken...my nabours chickens.Well he'd head out anytime he was off chain and come back with a treat which was not makeing the land owner next door to happy.It had to stop so the next time it happened which was a few days later,i caught him with a fresh chicken and wired it to his collar real good and put him on his chain.he thought it was great at first till he realized he couldnt get away from it....That first chicken he ate half but after a day or so it started to stink.I think it took about 6 days for that bird to rott off his collar and you guessed it,i went out and bought another one,killed it and wired it to his collar again.that bird he didnt eat any of,and he hated the thing being attached right at his collar,6 days later that bird rotted off and i let him off his chain.HE NEVER TOUCHED ANOTHER CHICKEN or chased any animal afterwards.

takla1
12-04-2010, 03:55 PM
by the way i dont suggest you wire a whole deer to your problem dogs collar ,the head should be sufficant

AT&T
12-04-2010, 05:02 PM
A buddy of mine was a guide in the East Kootenay. He had a deer chasing dog .He did the same thing. He found a road kill and tied the dog to the deer. Apparently this solved the problem after a few days. Harsh but it worked.

Walksalot
12-04-2010, 05:12 PM
I heard that back in Ontario if the dogs don't chase deer they are shot.:twisted:

Gateholio
12-04-2010, 05:43 PM
You know Gates, I am wondering what is going on with you??? The last little while you have been nothing but a cool headed, intelligently spoken, mild mannered person... Are you on Prozak or sumthin'g?:)

I miss the abrasive, outspoken and blunt Gatehouse, can we please get him back?

Nothing has changed..If you read my post, you will see that it is blunt and to the point. I say the exact same thing every time "dog shooting" comes up.

People that think I am abrasive take the intraweb too seriously. Direct, blunt, outspoken- yes.

Same as in person.:wink:

emerson
12-04-2010, 07:02 PM
If my dog is on your property causing a problem, shoot it. I will do the same to your dog on my property. When I explain it to whomever needs to know it will be because of small children/domestic animal safety issues. That being said both my present neighbors' dogs have been unwanted in my yard and allowed to survive. One neighbor went 1/2 the cost on a fence, the other would do nothing and rather than argue about her dog attacking mine in my yard vs. my dog sometimes going in her bushes, I spent the 4k and fenced 2 acres. Lawyers are expensive.

Barracuda
12-04-2010, 07:24 PM
some of you guys really need to bone up on the legal issues.

leadpillproductions
12-04-2010, 07:47 PM
Once the start to chase and if they kill they wont stop . Then there is a problem

Salty
12-04-2010, 08:08 PM
This reocurring theme has got to one of the stupidest going. If domestic dogs killed 1% of what wolves did last year I'd be more than suprised. I guess some guys gots bit by a dog wen they was widdo and are skeered so now they have dog shooting fantasy? . LOL . give me a break you need to worry more about zombies :mrgreen:

Gateholio
12-04-2010, 08:13 PM

It's very clear in the Livestock Act when you may shoot a dog- If it's aggressively chasing your livestock.

There is no legal provision for a non- Peace Officer to shoot a dog chasing deer.

Of course, dogs are deemed property, therefore the police don't have much that they can charge a dog shooter with, either. Maybe "destruction of property?" I guess you could be sued, too.

Spokerider
12-04-2010, 08:43 PM
This reocurring theme has got to one of the stupidest going. If domestic dogs killed 1% of what wolves did last year I'd be more than suprised. I guess some guys gots bit by a dog wen they was widdo and are skeered so now they have dog shooting fantasy? . LOL . give me a break you need to worry more about zombies :mrgreen:

X2.
Although this particular thread is about dogs that run deer..........is it really that big of a deal if they do? So what? Chances are the deer will survive just fine.

I would never shoot a dog for running deer, have never entertained the thought, never will. What does entertain me however, is the number of deer and other wildlife that are killed on the roads. Nobody seems interested in advocating for these needless losses, on this forum anyway. Could this lackluster interest stem from the fact that there is no shooting invloved here? Are animal deaths from vehicular collisions acceptable losses? Hummmm.

Like Salty says....shooting fantasies.

Barracuda
12-04-2010, 08:43 PM
for chaseing livestock they have to fullfill certain criteria they cant just be running across property etc.

livestock act

Dogs causing injury or damage

11.1 (1) For the purposes of this section, "running at large" does not apply to a dog that is under control by being
(a) on the property of its owner or of another person who has the care and control of the dog,
(b) in direct and continuous charge of a person who is competent to control it,
(c) securely confined within an enclosure, or
(d) securely fastened so that it is unable to roam.
(2) A person may kill a dog if the person finds the dog
(a) running at large, and
(b) attacking or viciously pursuing livestock.

for wildlife it has to be an officer not Joe civie

wildlife act

Destruction of animals

79 (1) An officer may kill an animal, other than a domestic animal, that is at large and is likely to harm persons, property, wildlife or wildlife habitat.
(2) An officer may kill a dog that is
(a) at large in a wildlife management area, or
(b) at large and harassing wildlife.
(3) An officer may kill a cat at large where wildlife is usually found.

skibum
12-04-2010, 08:51 PM
wasn't the question about running deer?

this thread is about running deer not livestock - totally different in my opinion -- rrrrr, maybe not totally different, but if someone shot my dog chasing a cow, i would upset, but not pissed, shot by some joe blow chasing a deer, the bat would come out

Barracuda
12-04-2010, 08:53 PM
the point was that only a person protecting livestock can shoot a dog .

Joe zero is not allowed to shoot a dawg for chasin deer .

sim
12-04-2010, 09:00 PM
I just wanted to pipe in to say I really like it when domestic dogs get a chance to romp and chase things, and I'm not real clear why hunters hate it other than of course it spooks game. I'd be surprised to learn that it had much impact on overall populations, I thought domesticated dogs were better at scavenging, all in all, but I like to see them run and 'get in touch with their raw side' just as we humans like to do, and deer really seem like fair sport, to me, anyway.

As to livestock, I'd be favor of shooting if less harmful means of situation control fail or can reasonably be believed will fail to fend off a probable imminent livestock injury or kill. To farmers who don't already know, much research and experience is being published about livestock guarding dogs in recent decades, being used more and more around North America to very satisfactory success rates in fending off unwanted predators.

Gateholio
12-04-2010, 09:16 PM
]
I just wanted to pipe in to say I really like it when domestic dogs get a chance to romp and chase things, and I'm not real clear why hunters hate it other than of course it spooks game. I'd be surprised to learn that it had much impact on overall populations, I thought domesticated dogs were better at scavenging, all in all, but I like to see them run and 'get in touch with their raw side' just as we humans like to do, and deer really seem like fair sport, to me, anyway.

The problem is domestic animals that are well fed at home chasing don and killing deer just for the fun of it. It happens, I've seen it first hand. It's unlikely to impact the overall deer populations, but it's also unnecessary.

As to livestock, I'd be favor of shooting if less harmful means of situation control fail or can reasonably be believed will fail to fend off a probable imminent livestock injury or kill. To farmers who don't already know, much research and experience is being published about livestock guarding dogs in recent decades, being used more and more around North America to very satisfactory success rates in fending off unwanted predators.

Farmers/ranchers shouldn't have to bother with anything to combat domestic dogs. People should keep them from harming livestock and livelihood, and if they don't then they should accept that the farmer/rancher is going to protect his livelihood.

quadrakid
12-04-2010, 09:57 PM
A girl i knew here on quadra had her dog come home with a 12 gauge shell tied to its collar and a note explaining why she should keep better control of her pet, it worked. I also personally know someone who thought it was legal to shoot a deer running dog, he had to make a public apology for doing just that. If you must,sss.

Marlin375
12-05-2010, 12:29 AM
I had a conversation years ago with a guy that was monitoring radio collared mulies for the Ministry of Env.
He said here in the Okanagan Dogs are second only to Lions for deer mortality. They do not have to take down the deer to kill it (and rarely do) but the deer burns critical fat/energy stores that it needs for the winter.
The catch 22 part is that the winter is exactly what brings the deer down into the dogs "territory".

I have seen it a few times and heard it several times and anywhere on the fringe right now you will find dog tracks in the deer tracks (not big yotes, like you thought).

If you live in the Okanagan you better know where your dog is spending its time or there is a very good chance it will not come home.

SHAKER
12-05-2010, 12:57 AM
If dogs are runn'n deer then lights out time! Just watch out for some of us who have legitement dogs run'n out there. I got into a little discussion with a fellow in Rock creek a few years ago about this...... he informed me that "If I see one of your #@^&'n Hounds going by my tree stand I will stick it, cause you aint screw'n up my hunt!". Needless to say we didn't quite see eye to eye about this (He wouldn't get out of his truck to talk about it) But dogs runn'n deer is unexcusable, hound or not.

Gateholio
12-05-2010, 01:02 AM
If dogs are runn'n deer then lights out time! Just watch out for some of us who have legitement dogs run'n out there. I got into a little discussion with a fellow in Rock creek a few years ago about this...... he informed me that "If I see one of your #@^&'n Hounds going by my tree stand I will stick it, cause you aint screw'n up my hunt!". Needless to say we didn't quite see eye to eye about this (He wouldn't get out of his truck to talk about it) But dogs runn'n deer is unexcusable, hound or not.

I've always thought it would be a good idea to put blaze orange collars on a hound to avoid problems like this. Guys might be less inclined to shoot at hounds of theuy knew thier owner was close by, and a blaze collar may indicate that.

hunter1947
12-05-2010, 03:22 AM
I say its the dog owners falt they have to control thee dogs so this will not happen..

Barracuda
12-05-2010, 09:21 AM
I've always thought it would be a good idea to put blaze orange collars on a hound to avoid problems like this. Guys might be less inclined to shoot at hounds of theuy knew thier owner was close by, and a blaze collar may indicate that.

Most guys that run hounds do collar them up with ones that are high viz .

The problem is alot of folks dont like hound hunting or they think that hounds shouldnt be in the wood scareing "Their Game".

These are the same kinds of guys that would shoot a hound and then make up a BS story that they were chaseing deer in order to justify it.

sawmill
12-05-2010, 09:29 AM
Could you be a little more clear?:mrgreen:
Sure
30.06 IN THE HEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Clear enough for you:confused:
I saw 16 big shepard x mongrels from the local Indian Res run a cow and calf moose across my field in deep snow in January.5 of them didn/t make it home.Would have got more but I had to get more ammo.
First one I nailed had the calf by the face,pulling it down,the cow tried to get it free but she had a dozen dogs all around her.
When the smoke cleared the dogs were on the run and the moose just stood there for a half an hour shaking and blowing steam out thier nostrills.
I/d shoot my own damn dogs if they ran game.

SHAKER
12-05-2010, 10:12 AM
Most guys that run hounds do collar them up with ones that are high viz .

The problem is alot of folks dont like hound hunting or they think that hounds shouldnt be in the wood scareing "Their Game".

These are the same kinds of guys that would shoot a hound and then make up a BS story that they were chaseing deer in order to justify it.

Unfortunatly thats what happens, just remember its always our fault!

AT&T
12-05-2010, 10:30 AM

Romp and play and chase things??? Read my past message about picking up a warm mule deer fetis after it dropped out of a dogs mouth on the road. The mother laying over the bank her body still steaming. What are you thinking. Wait maybe your not? Unfortunately the road was very slippery with snow and I couldnt get my truck stopped in time it slid over the two dogs. Shame!

Barracuda
12-05-2010, 10:55 AM
are you sure this isnt a troll???

Devilbear
12-05-2010, 11:08 AM
During this hunting season just now finishing, there have been several provocative and questionable posters on HBC, who seem to delight in deliberately making posts that are highly offensive to many regulars here. Some, of these have made statements that are very probably defamatory and other comments that seem to advocate a "police state" in Canada, with the consequent banning of private firearms. There are even a few who openly advocate illegal substance use.

I must say that I find this disturbing and not what I hope to see on HBC, perhaps, the site requires tighter moderation and "nuking" of threads obviously intended to cause discord and trouble? JMHO, this is a good forum and one I hate to see diminshed by a few immature trolls.

Jetboat
12-05-2010, 11:15 AM
Rural dogs running deer, eh? Our farm dog is an Australian Shepard X (neutered) whose job is protector of our horses, cattle & chickens. He respects the fence lines and does not leave the property as our neighbours can attest. When the local deer threaten to nibble our crops or hay bales, he runs them off the property and when they cross the fence, he stops and returns home. You couldn't find a better a better livestock/farm guardian & companion. If somebody is driving past our farm and sees him running the pesky resident deer off the place, they'd best come to the house and speak with us and not even consider taking a shot towards my dog or property :evil:

elkdom
12-05-2010, 11:27 AM
domestic dogs harassing wildlife not only kill potential ungulates the dogs may be pursuing that particular day, but the pursuit may weaken and take precious body reserves from those animals, which they need to survive long winters,

those that own large dogs running at large, take the risk their dog may be destroyed!, if the owner cares about his dog, keep it at home! and under control! dogs that will chase wild game for sport, will most likely chase domestic animals,cattle, sheep horses or other dogs,

years ago we had a small family pet torn apart and killed on our own property by marauding neighborhood dogs, my wife and children were defenseless to do anything but watch , after contacting the owners, their response "oh it wasnt OUR dogs, do you have pictures of the ones that killed your pet?

the new procedure and henceforth is any marauding dogs trespassing are immediately dispatched, permanently!

slayer B
12-05-2010, 11:34 AM

JEEZOOOS!!! THERE'S ZOMBIES!?! I guess the deer are on there own, time to go board up the windows!!! :mrgreen:

MattW
12-05-2010, 09:13 PM
As far as dogs running deer goes, take care of your own dog and think real hard before you shoot someone elses, like Barracuda says, it's not your job or right to shoot them.
When it comes to dogs running cattle I guess I've been lucky. I've dairy farmed all my life, we put our cattle out on pasture whenever the weather allows and in all that time I can count on one hand the number of times we've had an incident of dogs chasing cattle. In those very few times the only dog that ever actually touched a cow only got the briefest nip in and got severely kicked by the cow and eventually was put down. Cows are pretty tough and quick. We always have multiple dogs as do all our neighbours and problems like these can be solved with a simple phone call, no need to shoot a dog and I can't remember that anyone has in my neighbourhood of dairy farms. You have to remember that however you deal with a cow chasing dog it's owners will still be your neighbours tomorrow. The only thing I have very little tolerance for is dogs attacking people.

Kootenai
12-05-2010, 09:28 PM

Hunting deer using dogs on leash is completely legal in B.C. Hunting bear and cougar with dogs OFF leash is also legal in B.C..

Careful what the dogs are chasing before shooting.

dutchie
12-05-2010, 10:28 PM
I find this thread partially repulsive, partially un-educated and moronic and one member on here a complete hypocrite.

The member that I am referring to (he will know who he is) shot his dog in his East Vancouver basement, and then brought it to the SPCA for disposal. Had a big problem with the RCMP because the SPCA reported it and had his guns taken away... hmmm brilliant! I could care less how sick the dog is... just bloody brilliant.

Second... ready what Barracuda posted.

in section 11.1 (2) of the Livestock Act it states

(2) A person may kill a dog if the person finds the dog
(a) running at large, and
(b) attacking or viciously pursuing livestock.

The farmer can not just kill a dog for running after live stock... For example, a herding breed is not "attacking or viciously pursuing livestock" it will herd them. This is why the Act qualified subsection 2 by using AND... meaning has to do BOTH not just one or the other.

Dutchie

dutchie
12-05-2010, 10:33 PM
I guess this post is largely for rural residents of BC. So what is your take on seeing dogs running critters with their tongues hanging out?

My take is that the dog is taking its self for a run, playing, having fun... if the dogs tongue is hanging out it is not "attacking or viciously pursuing" critters. When a dog is in attack mode, it is stealth and they are using all of their senses including their nose... when the tongue is hanging out the do is not using its nose because the breathing is coming from the mouth.

you tube a wolf running down a animal... all mouths are shut until the run is over. when they are lunging at the animal they will bare their teeth.

Dutchie

greenhorn
12-05-2010, 10:45 PM
Now that I think about it, I remember witnessing a guys Rottweiler hanging of a farmers dairy cow. He had his teeth sunk into the back of the cows hide. The cow was trying to shake the dog off, but to no avail. The farmer had his lead hand get the "farm gun" and they both wrestled the dog off and shot it dead, without hesitation. That dairy cow is worth roughly $1000 give or take, and the main source of his income. I would have done the same, as it's the dog owners responsibility to keep his/her dog under control.

Hypothetically speaking, if I'm hunting birds and my dog runs deer, I'm coming home alone, if it's obvious I can't control him. No matter how painful it would be for me to do this, it will happen again.

Assuming your saying you'd either shoot the dog, or leave it behind...

Maybe a more reasonable course of action would be to SELL or GIVE THE DOG AWAY to someone who wants a pet. Does it make sense to leave a dog behind or shoot the dog for doing what its genetic code tells it to do.

Maybe I misunderstood your post, if I did I'm sorry. But it just sounds F*&&(!-ing stupid to kill a dog for running a deer just because it means he's a bad bird dog. If you're that upset about, give the dog up and get another one.

horshur
12-05-2010, 11:01 PM
start shooting the damn cars and trucks if you all are so concerned..

dutchie
12-05-2010, 11:03 PM
Someone that will leave their dog in the field because it ran a deer should never own a F**king pet.

This mentality pisses me off and has me extremely pissed off right now... it is the easy way out. You are the one that did not train the dog properly... get the dog the proper training or go and f**king shoot yourself because you will train the next dog the exact same way.

I can't believe that a person thinks that it is a dogs fault that it has not been trained correctly... A dog will do what you let it do...

Really fair that a dog is left to die or left with a gun shot in the head because the owner was too damn stupid to realize that it is actually their fault.

Dutchie

Old Crow
12-05-2010, 11:12 PM
I heard that back in Ontario if the dogs don't chase deer they are shot.:twisted:

This was true in the eighties when I left there, not sure now, probably is still true. We had big problems with dogs going feral and packing up, and killing all sorts of deer, so Natural resources told hunters to go ahead and shoot ém.
Never saw it in person, but I did find one deer that had been ripped apart by dogs. They chased that doe around a ten acre meadow and tore chunks off until she gave up and died. What a mess, and an awful way to die.
It's like they have the instinct, but lack the skills.

I would try to find the owners of any dog running livestock, and ask around other hunters about a dog running wildlife, before considering shooting as a last resort. (Yes, Barracuda, we see you lol, just read Rugers post, and 'nuff said)

Well that reminds me of a story as well then:
My dog ran off a nice four point mulie once. He had been sleeping in my truck after the pre-dawn run up the hill tired him out, and i had slipped into the Ponderosas for some still hunting. Two hours later he apparently woke up in the back, and was looking out the window of the canopy and pondering where daddy was when he saw some deer and tore the screen on the canopy, and opened the window with his nose, and he was off, chasing my potential wall-hanger all the way down the mountain while I screamed and waved, powerless to stop him. I was powerless because let's say I was umm...making a deposit at the time, enjoying the view of the sagebrush and my camo pants were not in the upright and belted position.
I'm glad no-one saw me that day, waddling down the hill, gun in one hand, a half roll of poo tickets in the other, white ass reflecting the harsh winter sunlight. Probably would have been shot for a whitetail or a madman. :D

Let's just say I left him home the next trip, as I didn't want it to become a habit with him. Eventually he would have been shot, and it ultimately would have been my fault, and I couldn't live with that. There are no real bad dogs, just lazy and careless owners.

Tron
12-05-2010, 11:18 PM
As a pup my dog was very interested in anything with fur or feathers. This is what he was bred for. There are tools and training methods that go hand in hand to show these dogs what they are allowed to hunt and what they are not. It is not there fault when they do what they were bred for or comes natural to them. YOU have to teach them!

As for the owners that would shoot and leave there dog in the field give your head a shake for doing something you let it give your head a shake and never own another pet.

Devilbear
12-06-2010, 12:36 AM
Someone that will leave their dog in the field because it ran a deer should never own a F**king pet.

This mentality pisses me off and has me extremely pissed off right now... it is the easy way out. You are the one that did not train the dog properly... get the dog the proper training or go and f**king shoot yourself because you will train the next dog the exact same way.

I can't believe that a person thinks that it is a dogs fault that it has not been trained correctly... A dog will do what you let it do...

Really fair that a dog is left to die or left with a gun shot in the head because the owner was too damn stupid to realize that it is actually their fault.

Dutchie

...or go and f**king shoot yourself because you will train the next dog the exact same way...

This is the single most disturbing statement I have ever read on HBC and I have to seriously wonder about anyone who would post such a comment on a public forum. Telling another human to ...f**king shoot yourself... is simply beyond any acceptable comment on firearms use and I am amazed that anyone would say such a thing here.

This is not the sort of advice that I think should be allowed on HBC and I also think that a person who posts such a comment should refrain from giving advice to others. I hope that this poster learns to be more responsible in his comments and perhaps this remark is removed by the mods....do we want people who do not own guns to read this type of bizarre statement here?

There are several issues involved here and I have no problem with a person shooting a dog on their property when said animal is attacking and/or destroying persons, livestock or property. That is different than shooting an animal that is chasing a deer on Crown Land, which is a situation for the CO's to address.

I understand just how short of personnel the BCFW is and so is the BCFS and other resource management agencies; however, taking such matters into one's own hands is, as in most legal situations, not a very wise idea.

In Sawmill's case, I agree with his actions and wish that he had posted the details in his initial post on this thread. There are far too many comments made on HBC about shooting animals and even people and one often wonders about the mental state of some of the posters concerned; my usual respect for Sawmill's posts is restored and my concern for the dogs and owners is only equal to my concern for the victims of attacks by vicious dogs.

We really must consider our public image as we gun owners-hunters are a minority in contemporary Canada and a "target" for the sensationalist media and other nefarious groups. I think that there are many more people regularly reading this forum than many seem to realize.

leadpillproductions
12-06-2010, 12:49 AM
WOW shouldn't be long and this threads going to be locked

Sleep Robber
12-06-2010, 01:57 AM
In the small town I grew up in, there was a man who had the best German short haired pointer amongst all the local hunters who also all had pointers, some German, some English. He was a well respected outdoors man and a great hunter. This one dog of his was a pleasure to hunt with, and was trained brilliantly. Whoever was lucky enough to be partnered with this man, knew he was in for a good day, and usually came home with a vest full of birds.

One day my late father told me that the owner had shot this particular dog for running deer, while hunting. I couldn't believe it, I said "why would he do that, she was the best dog I'd ever seen" !!! This dog was amazing and had many previous encounters with deer in the field while grouse hunting, and never did it before.

The man said that once a dog gets it in their head, the switch goes on and that's what their going to do, no matter what. He said sometimes they won't do it at all, sometimes they'll stop when you call them and sometimes, no matter how well trained they are, they'll just go and go, until they either run the deer to death or kill themselves trying.

My father told me that the man would get another dog that would become just as good as this one, and hopefully not do the same, but for him to keep it would be worthless to him and the dog. That dog needed to hunt, not sit on the porch for the rest of its life and see the guns leave the house without him. That alone would have killed him inside.

It broke the mans heart, but he said he new it was the right thing to do. He did not want to give the dog to someone else and for them to have this problem, and he would never give a hunting dog to a non hunting home.

My feelings are the same as this mans. I would shoot the dog, bury it with its hunting bell, shed some tears and carry on. Even though it was my "pet"

Some will not understand this, or agree, I cannot change this, nor wish to do so. Some people just see things differently than others.

mungojeerie
12-06-2010, 07:45 AM
I lived in Ontario for a few years and used to hunt on a nice piece of crown land. One of the guys I used to hunt with was a fair bit older than I as I was just a kid, but he made it clear that dogs running deer was unacceptable.

I can remember meeting back up with him after he was trying to "dog" the bush towards where I was sitting. I asked him if it was was him that got shooting, he said yes... I waited and finally said, well did you down something? and with a fairly stern yet saddened face he nodded yes and pulled two collars out his pocket.

On the way home he pulled over and dropped the collars with their tags in the mailbox. He said it's not right those dogs running deer like that, the poor doe was exhausted. But he also said it wouldn't be right to leave the owners wondering if their dogs were alive or not, at least this would let them know and they could move on.

7mag700
12-06-2010, 09:46 AM
This was true in the eighties when I left there, not sure now, probably is still true. We had big problems with dogs going feral and packing up, and killing all sorts of deer, so Natural resources told hunters to go ahead and shoot ém.
Never saw it in person, but I did find one deer that had been ripped apart by dogs. They chased that doe around a ten acre meadow and tore chunks off until she gave up and died. What a mess, and an awful way to die.
It's like they have the instinct, but lack the skills.

I would try to find the owners of any dog running livestock, and ask around other hunters about a dog running wildlife, before considering shooting as a last resort. (Yes, Barracuda, we see you lol, just read Rugers post, and 'nuff said)

Well that reminds me of a story as well then:
My dog ran off a nice four point mulie once. He had been sleeping in my truck after the pre-dawn run up the hill tired him out, and i had slipped into the Ponderosas for some still hunting. Two hours later he apparently woke up in the back, and was looking out the window of the canopy and pondering where daddy was when he saw some deer and tore the screen on the canopy, and opened the window with his nose, and he was off, chasing my potential wall-hanger all the way down the mountain while I screamed and waved, powerless to stop him. I was powerless because let's say I was umm...making a deposit at the time, enjoying the view of the sagebrush and my camo pants were not in the upright and belted position.
I'm glad no-one saw me that day, waddling down the hill, gun in one hand, a half roll of poo tickets in the other, white ass reflecting the harsh winter sunlight. Probably would have been shot for a whitetail or a madman. :D

Let's just say I left him home the next trip, as I didn't want it to become a habit with him. Eventually he would have been shot, and it ultimately would have been my fault, and I couldn't live with that. There are no real bad dogs, just lazy and careless owners.

There's just so much awesome in this post I'll still be laughing tomorrow :mrgreen:. But the important part is the last part, well said.

...or go and f**king shoot yourself because you will train the next dog the exact same way...

This is the single most disturbing statement I have ever read on HBC and I have to seriously wonder about anyone who would post such a comment on a public forum. Telling another human to ...f**king shoot yourself... is simply beyond any acceptable comment on firearms use and I am amazed that anyone would say such a thing here.

This is not the sort of advice that I think should be allowed on HBC and I also think that a person who posts such a comment should refrain from giving advice to others. I hope that this poster learns to be more responsible in his comments and perhaps this remark is removed by the mods....do we want people who do not own guns to read this type of bizarre statement here?

There are several issues involved here and I have no problem with a person shooting a dog on their property when said animal is attacking and/or destroying persons, livestock or property. That is different than shooting an animal that is chasing a deer on Crown Land, which is a situation for the CO's to address.

I understand just how short of personnel the BCFW is and so is the BCFS and other resource management agencies; however, taking such matters into one's own hands is, as in most legal situations, not a very wise idea.

In Sawmill's case, I agree with his actions and wish that he had posted the details in his initial post on this thread. There are far too many comments made on HBC about shooting animals and even people and one often wonders about the mental state of some of the posters concerned; my usual respect for Sawmill's posts is restored and my concern for the dogs and owners is only equal to my concern for the victims of attacks by vicious dogs.

We really must consider our public image as we gun owners-hunters are a minority in contemporary Canada and a "target" for the sensationalist media and other nefarious groups. I think that there are many more people regularly reading this forum than many seem to realize.

Yup, you can bet the antis frequent this site too, and I bet they find plenty with which to further their agenda. It's a shame.

In the small town I grew up in, there was a man who had the best German short haired pointer amongst all the local hunters who also all had pointers, some German, some English. He was a well respected outdoors man and a great hunter. This one dog of his was a pleasure to hunt with, and was trained brilliantly. Whoever was lucky enough to be partnered with this man, knew he was in for a good day, and usually came home with a vest full of birds.

One day my late father told me that the owner had shot this particular dog for running deer, while hunting. I couldn't believe it, I said "why would he do that, she was the best dog I'd ever seen" !!! This dog was amazing and had many previous encounters with deer in the field while grouse hunting, and never did it before.

The man said that once a dog gets it in their head, the switch goes on and that's what their going to do, no matter what. He said sometimes they won't do it at all, sometimes they'll stop when you call them and sometimes, no matter how well trained they are, they'll just go and go, until they either run the deer to death or kill themselves trying.

My father told me that the man would get another dog that would become just as good as this one, and hopefully not do the same, but for him to keep it would be worthless to him and the dog. That dog needed to hunt, not sit on the porch for the rest of its life and see the guns leave the house without him. That alone would have killed him inside.

It broke the mans heart, but he said he new it was the right thing to do. He did not want to give the dog to someone else and for them to have this problem, and he would never give a hunting dog to a non hunting home.

My feelings are the same as this mans. I would shoot the dog, bury it with its hunting bell, shed some tears and carry on. Even though it was my "pet"

Some will not understand this, or agree, I cannot change this, nor wish to do so. Some people just see things differently than others.

Here's a good example. Do you REALLY advocate SHOOTING the poor F**KING dog because you can't be sure it'll come when you call? Yes, it's future as a bird dog may be compromised, I understand the concept of the working dog very well... but if I train you for a job at my workplace, and you f**k up, should I shoot YOU??? Seriously man, there are good working dogs and there are bad ones, but the bad ones should get RETIRED, not SHOT.

Some people seem take the whole Old Yeller thing out of the 'do-the-right-thing' arena and into the 'do-the-manly-tough-guy-thing' and it's the poor dog who pays. There wouldn't be near so many bad dogs out there if guys checked their ego at the door and learned how to communicate with and train thier dogs. As said above, it's almost never the dogs' fault.

7m7