PDA

View Full Version : 1100 meter moose kill

AT&T
12-03-2010, 05:24 PM
Hello. A couple days ago I saw on here a 1100 metre moose being killed. Can anybody direct me as to how to find it again. I cant place it.

bowhunterbruce
12-03-2010, 05:26 PM
sounds like a "best of the west"video,try searching youtube

emerson
12-03-2010, 05:32 PM
If I felt I was capable of, and accomplished this, I wouldn't talk about it.

AT&T
12-03-2010, 05:36 PM
I was pretty sure the person that made the shot was a member here. I had a couple questions for him.

AT&T
12-03-2010, 05:38 PM
If I felt I was capable of, and accomplished this, I wouldn't talk about it.
I gather you dont think this was too ethical is that it

Gateholio
12-03-2010, 05:38 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=56296&highlight=1100

hunterofthedeer
12-03-2010, 05:40 PM
He is a member here. Here is the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWAXQUCv8qo

Lone Ranger
12-03-2010, 05:57 PM
Wow.. thats one heck of an amazing shot and drop for the moose for sure. LR

AT&T
12-03-2010, 06:23 PM
It brings questions to mind. Ballistics wise. A 300wm at 500 yards is about the same as a 30 30 at 100 yards. Something like that. So what energy does a 300wm have at 1100 meters? I have shot a moose at 650 meters but 1100. blows me away.

MIL720
12-03-2010, 06:40 PM
Blah Blah Blah.....

Orangethunder
12-03-2010, 06:42 PM
Blah Blah Blah.....

Come on, I shoot all my moose at least a 1000m away. They are just so big its the only way to make it sporting. Besides your just pissy about having to get up early for hockey.

scott h
12-03-2010, 07:02 PM
That was an amazing shot!!!
Unfortunately seeing it will probably encourage more people to try shots that will end up in lost animals. Personally I think "best of the west " style shots encourage people to try shots that are best left to targets . If you are surprised when the animal you are shooting at drops you probably shouldn't have taken it. Members on a Alberta website are talking about a large increase in animals found dead in the field . It makes a person wonder if they were killed and left, or wounded and just not found. In the end it's the same thing; a wasted game animal.

Just my opinion

Bistchen
12-03-2010, 07:17 PM
I'm not calling the above mentioned hunter a liar.

But hey....... I can tell all my friends I shot an animal at 600 yds when really it was 400 yds. (for example) Even with video.

Gateholio
12-03-2010, 07:25 PM
I think videos like these encourage people to get out and do more shooting practice! I know it makes me want to shoot more.

This and Best of the West style shows encourage people to learn more about their gear and ammunition, ballistics and optics. And of course encouraging practice can only help with shot placement in the field!:-D

SUAFOYT
12-03-2010, 08:47 PM
I think videos like these encourage people to get out and do more shooting practice! I know it makes me want to shoot more.

This and Best of the West style shows encourage people to learn more about their gear and ammunition, ballistics and optics. And of course encouraging practice can only help with shot placement in the field!:-D

I'm not going to get into the business about how wise this is- I'll let all you experts decide that question. Does the issue of "fair chase" not come into question here? At what point does the matter of how far is reasonable to a sport hunter become somewhat silly. I suppose one day one could just go to the lodge and because of superior optics and other factors just shoot from the veranda. I know that some would think that would be something to strive for but I really feel the extreme long range kills cheapen the sport. Just an opinion.

Gateholio
12-03-2010, 08:57 PM
Honing shooting skills doesn't mean you have to only shoot from long range. Good shooting is important from 11 to 1100 yards.:-D

Then it's up to the individual to decide what they want to do.

:-D

AT&T
12-03-2010, 08:59 PM
Blah Blah Blah.....
what does blah blah blah mean. are you a sheep

Twobucks
12-03-2010, 09:16 PM
I'm not going to get into the business about how wise this is- I'll let all you experts decide that question. Does the issue of "fair chase" not come into question here? At what point does the matter of how far is reasonable to a sport hunter become somewhat silly. I suppose one day one could just go to the lodge and because of superior optics and other factors just shoot from the veranda. I know that some would think that would be something to strive for but I really feel the extreme long range kills cheapen the sport. Just an opinion.

X2 for me -- maybe it depends if you're into hunting or killing. I love one, I accept the other.

MIL720
12-03-2010, 09:23 PM
Come on, I shoot all my moose at least a 1000m away. They are just so big its the only way to make it sporting. Besides your just pissy about having to get up early for hockey.
little guy is sick....Don't gotta get up tomorrow....probably will anywayhttp://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif

MIL720
12-03-2010, 09:25 PM
what does blah blah blah mean. are you a sheep
is that what sheep say... really? i just wish I could accuratley out to 1100mhttp://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif

Drillbit
12-03-2010, 09:36 PM
Fair chase is a pretty vague grey area. To me if 1100 yards isn't fair chase, then neither is 10 yards on a bait pile. But it takes a lot more to pull off an 1100 yard shot than a 10 yard shot over bait, so I respect that shooting. Takes a lot of practice to shoot long ranges, and I'd never try an 1100 yarder, but if someone has the skills and equipment to do it, good for them. Gives a guy something to work towards at the range because if you can hit that most of the time, a 600 yard shot should be easy. Not that 600 yards is an slam dunk shot either and that everybody should try it without practice. Anyways, take your rifle to the range a try some long shots, you'll be surprised.

Jagermeister
12-03-2010, 09:41 PM
That is not a Best of the West shot. That is a frigging Hail Mary shot. Adventure Trev states in the discussion below the video that his rifle is sighted in for 200 hundred yards. Let's suppose that he is shooting a 180 gr. bullet with a .450 ballistic coeffiecient and an exit velocity of 2600 fps. At a distance of 600 yards, the bullet will be 58 inches low. At 1100 meter, that bullet will not even be in the field of view of the scope. As you can see in the video, the moose was tagged toward the rump and seeing how it toppled would suggest that the bullet impacted the spine. That is a Hail Mary shot, plain and simple. He should go to church and light a candle. After that join the army, they need sharpshooter over in Afghanistan.

Gateholio
12-03-2010, 09:46 PM
You can get more than 2600fps froma 30-06 with a 180gr bullet. 300WM should go somewhere around 3000fps:-D

And a scope can be zeroed for any distance, and then adjusted to compensate.

500grhollowpoint
12-03-2010, 09:50 PM
You guys are all talking out of your asses, I have a buddy with a 338 lapua and I hit a spray can at 950m, second shot. Know your distance, know your ballistics and your dots. With a few $ in equip, some research and a couple practice shots, anyone can shoot the right gun that far.

abbyfireguy
12-03-2010, 09:59 PM
Talking out their asses??? A bit harsh man...
I hope to go to a couple of the 1000 yard shoots next year for fun.
Those who practise a bit can and do make great shots .
I will leave long hunting shots like that to others that put in that much practise..

roping_tom
12-04-2010, 12:37 AM
To me the reaction of the animal does seem to lean toward a spine hit. Last year after being inspired by shows like tbtw and christensen arms i thought i should spend some $$ build a rig and see if i can reach that 1000yrd mark. So i read about bc's the best long range bullets the best cases and on and on. So i built a 7mag loaded with 168gr berger at 3050fps, shooting 1/2 to 1/4 groups at one hundred. I printed off a bc chart went to the range dialed in at 500m and practised, when it was easy i found a safe clear cut set up my target dialed in at 625 ding, went back to 825 and ding then off to the 1050 mark dialed it in and miss, after 4 shots with my bro spotting it was ding. But i can tell u when i don't practise and go shoot long range its a waste of ammo. I have a girlfriend that had never shot over 50yrds and nothing bigger than a 22 put her out to 625 and she hit ti every time, that is when i knew that a great gun setup makes the shooter look like a hero.

burger
12-04-2010, 02:57 AM
But what about the thrill of the chase the calling the stalking the being one with the animal. I'm sure that alot of people on here could with enough practice and using a good rest could work out the logistics of finding a good rifle/cartridge/scope combo to do the long range shot but their ain't nothing like calling in an animal and having them think your one of them rather than an imitator. Thats the rush thats hunting to me.

AT&T
12-04-2010, 06:56 AM
I started this post to ask the fellow what kind of scope he was using.
Secondly if his 300 had a Macmillan barrel. Not that other barrels arent as good.
thirdly. Did he check humidity, temperature wind before shooting.
Didnt mean to cause a stir here.
I was just curious

500grhollowpoint
12-04-2010, 08:10 AM
Talking out their asses??? A bit harsh man...
I hope to go to a couple of the 1000 yard shoots next year for fun.
Those who practise a bit can and do make great shots .
I will leave long hunting shots like that to others that put in that much practise..

1000 yard shots are easy with the right gun and some research. Unfortunately, none of the right guns, or even any close to them are allowed in any 1000 yd shoots. No ultra mags, no lapuas, no win mags. There is a reason for that. It's not impressive with one of those guns. Do it with a .308 and you have my attention.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I'm not impressed by the 1100 yd moose shot.

AT&T
12-04-2010, 08:23 AM
1000 yard shots are easy with the right gun and some research. Unfortunately, none of the right guns, or even any close to them are allowed in any 1000 yd shoots. No ultra mags, no lapuas, no win mags. There is a reason for that. It's not impressive with one of those guns. Do it with a .308 and you have my attention.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I'm not impressed by the 1100 yd moose shot.
I remember Years ago I was in the chilcotin plateau way out on horseback. There was a small pond over a mile away. My buddy was laying beside me with a spotting scope. I started shooting at a small stump sticking out of the water. This was with open sights on a FN. I couldnt see much. Going with what he was seeing and ajusting accordingly it was amazing how many shots got there after we found elevation. I can see how why this system worked so well in war times.

Cyrus
12-04-2010, 08:32 AM
1100 meters?? For me only in a video game.....

silvicon
12-04-2010, 08:48 AM
A shot like this on a large animal such aa moose needs at LEAST a
.500 Woodboy, maybe a .50 BMG in a good, accurate Branett or other rifle. Never mint the (highest quality) scope.

35 Whelen
12-04-2010, 09:22 AM
I remember Years ago I was in the chilcotin plateau way out on horseback. There was a small pond over a mile away. My buddy was laying beside me with a spotting scope. I started shooting at a small stump sticking out of the water. This was with open sights on a FN. I couldnt see much. Going with what he was seeing and ajusting accordingly it was amazing how many shots got there after we found elevation. I can see how why this system worked so well in war times.

So, shooting onto open water a mile away....now there is some smart thinking!!! Ever wonder where those bullets went after they ricocheted off the water. Ever wonder if you would even see a family maybe camped there or nearby. Pretty scary....just let us know where you will be hunting next time, and I will ensure that I am miles away in the other direction.....OMG

Time to rethink your choice of firing ranges !!!!

BCBRAD
12-04-2010, 09:43 AM
aren't hunters just management participents, thats why we have seasons harvest numbers etc. As far as fair chance , calling, stalking, roadside shooting , they are just means to eliminate one from the herd. The guy with the 1100m moose must have did a lot of home work, investment in the right equipment and practise. many participents try to make a box of 03's last several seasons but thats their deal, to be able to pull that off.

AT&T
12-04-2010, 09:43 AM
Fair enough. The slough was about 100 feet in diameter. only about two foot deep. We could see for miles around us. No brush, trees anything. Also 100 miles into back country on horse back. On 3 sides there were steep banks of shale. No campers no one. This was not a dangerous thing to do considering where we were. You goota good point though. I should of made that part clear. Sorry.

Ltbullken
12-04-2010, 10:47 AM
You guys are all talking out of your asses, I have a buddy with a 338 lapua and I hit a spray can at 950m, second shot. Know your distance, know your ballistics and your dots. With a few $ in equip, some research and a couple practice shots, anyone can shoot the right gun that far.

I agree to a point. The right equipment makes a huge difference, but practice and time on the range then is everything. Equipment does not excuse the fundamentals of hold, natural position, breathing, trigger squeeze, follow-through and sight picture. Not to mention understanding windage and mirage. All the technology in the world is meaningless without understanding and mastering the fundamentals.

I'm not opposed to a hunter making a long range shot in the right circumstances. If the hunter has a professional attitude to marksmanship, practices regularly at intended shooting ranges, has the proper equipment and skill and knows their own limitations and shoots within them, all the best to them.

BCBRAD
12-04-2010, 12:32 PM
Any way, what rifle/caliber/bullet/scope was used?

Brett
12-04-2010, 12:46 PM
I started this post to ask the fellow what kind of scope he was using.
Secondly if his 300 had a Macmillan barrel. Not that other barrels arent as good.
thirdly. Did he check humidity, temperature wind before shooting.
Didnt mean to cause a stir here.
I was just curious

The barrel came from here hxxp://www.rifle-barrels.net/
and the scope from here! hxxp://nightforceoptics.com/nightforcescopes/index.html
:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Bowzone_Mikey
12-04-2010, 01:11 PM
you know I find it funny .... dude shoots a moose at 1000 yrds and he is lynched ....

some other dude shoots a bad guy at 2750 and he is considered a hero

Am I the only one that sees the irony .... perhaps the Holier than thou elitest attitude put towards the 1000 yard moose shooter ....

You guys are fricken worse than the anti crossbow crowd ... actually check that ... You guys are worse than any Anti ..... Crowd

Get a fricken grip on reality ...

Johnny G1
12-04-2010, 02:58 PM
X2 on that Bowzone, can't believe some off the comment's.

rocksteady
12-04-2010, 03:12 PM
Personally, I would never attempt the shot, as I do not have the experience/rifle/scope combination to make it happen.....

I will not call down the dude in the video, he seemed to appear what he was talking about, sounded like he had taken the time to do his homework and practiced lots....

How many people do you know, that shoot a 30-30 most of their lives, then buy a new fangled ultra, magnum "MOA right out of the box" blah, blah blah caliber with scope and prior to their first hunt actually go to the range to see where it hits at say 300 yards or more???? I betcha a very small number....They may touch off a box at 100 yards with their new gun, but won't hesitate to drop the hammer at a deer/elk/moose at well over 300 cause "the ballistics say".....

Thats why flat shooting calibers are preferred for most open country hunting...more forgving when you are taking long shots without doing your homework...

greybark
12-04-2010, 04:51 PM
:wink:Regardless of him doing his homework and practice he admits the hit is high (fortunitly in the spine) and is over THREE FEET to the back of the animal .
So some are impressed by the impact being THREE FEET OFF and over ONE FOOT HIGH , or the fact that the Bull went down .
Why are so many impressed by this LUCKY hit and would this encourage extreme shots that the misses and wounding would not make it on youtube .
Cheers

guywitha270
12-04-2010, 05:22 PM
The real lucky thing is that a cat didn't take his kid while he was packing the meat to the boat. Helluva shot though. If you're confident you can make the kill, go for it.

308Lover
12-04-2010, 05:27 PM
I shoot a .308, of course. My moose this year was shot at 120 feet. Instant death from a spine shot where neck joins body. Didn't need a safari to get there, just walked over. Up close and personal means hunting to me. Everything else is just shooting at targets--only they're alive.I somehow find it hard to believe this was the first shot taken at that range, at that moose, but I only shoot a .308 with a 3 by 9 cheap little Bushnell scope, so what do I know? LOL

.330 Dakota
12-04-2010, 06:47 PM
You can get more than 2600fps froma 30-06 with a 180gr bullet. 300WM should go somewhere around 3000fps:-D

And a scope can be zeroed for any distance, and then adjusted to compensate.

So true, I am getting 2670 from an 06 with 200gr Partitions, a little hot but not enough to worry

pro 111
12-04-2010, 08:23 PM
I do that all the time but with blacktails , from the hip and only after they start to run through the slash.:-D

Davey Crockett
12-04-2010, 08:40 PM
How much energy does your combo have at that range? What is the max effective/safe killing range?
I don't think that it is any large feat to hit the correct elevation given practice and a range finder. The real wild card IMO is the windage. You cannot accurately determine what the wind will do along your bullets path.

vortex hunter
12-04-2010, 09:08 PM
that's amazing well done nice shoootin TEX

Rock Doctor
12-05-2010, 12:29 PM
To the OP

No the shooter is not a member here.

RD

Sleep Robber
12-05-2010, 01:42 PM
Damn good shot he made, but not much of a hunt.

I guess if your into this type of shooting and capable, givver sh!t, but other than that, it looks like something for the fat and lazy gang.

To me this isn't a hunt, just a kill, but a damn good one if I must say so myself.

I guess I just like the stalk and pursue type of hunting, instead of shooting it a mile away or whatever.

xcaribooer
12-05-2010, 01:48 PM
I think you have to look at the conditions, I once watched 3 moose at probally 1000yds with a 270win in my hands , I wasnt even slightly tempted to try a shot, I did however stalk in and shoot one .

In this guys case it would have to be ideal conditions which it appears he possibly had.

for me it would have to be like this:
1. a large magnum rifle with adequate energy to kill at this distance
2. I would have to have practiced this shot many times in the off season and know me and my rifle were capable
3.A steady rest with lots of time to be comfortable and aim
4. the moose standing still, broadside and out in the total open(which he was)
5.no significant cross wind

if I could say yes to those 5 things I would pull the trigger, if not then I would make the effort to get closer.

I will say it sure looks like a very cool hunting setup, love the woodstove in the boat. I want a rig like that! Kind of a floating ATV walltent all in one.

AT&T
12-05-2010, 02:19 PM
Everyone is ASSUMING it was 1100 meters. pretty hard to tell in a video lense the difference between 1100 and 700. We are all basing this on honesty. He probably posted it a joke as he cant seem to be accurate enough to make a key stroke.

Darksith
12-05-2010, 04:51 PM
Im curious to know what kind of rest he was using. I think that taking that shot when zero'd @ 200 is a bit intersting, but I wonder how high he had to aim to make the shot. It was not a perfect shot as the moose was hit high and back, and I question how many shots like that hes taken where the moose didn't drop and die on the spot. That being said I can respect a man that has enough time behind his rifle to even think about that shot. But I assume that there is a bench and a sled with proper rests that we don't get to see.

Nathaniel Poe
12-05-2010, 05:09 PM
Pretty amazing shot! I'm astonished!

zimbu
12-06-2010, 12:41 AM
:eek:Wow, there are some narrow minded people on here. To each their own. If long range shooting and hunting doesn't interest you, why did you bother clicking on a thread titled "1100 meter moose kill?" It happens to interest some of us, but you probably won't find us in the bow forum crapping all over bow hunters for being 'unethical' because they sit in trees and shoot poor unsuspecting animals with sticks that have a fraction of the energy that hunting rifles do, all because bow hunting may not interest us.:rolleyes:

Congrats to the guy for a clean kill on a great moose!
If you kids don't like it, take your toys and go cry to mommy.:cry:

Everyone is ASSUMING it was 1100 meters. pretty hard to tell in a video lense the difference between 1100 and 700. We are all basing this on honesty. He probably posted it a joke as he cant seem to be accurate enough to make a key stroke.

Considering the flight time of the bullet was roughly 2 seconds or slightly more I have no trouble believing the shot was in excess of 1000yd. I am curious though was it 1100yd or 1100m? It makes a big difference at that range.

leadpillproductions
12-06-2010, 12:52 AM
I would like to shoot a moose at a 1000 yrd but not yet , I have shot several animals over 500 yrds . One day with more practice ill get the chance

12-06-2010, 10:46 AM
Moose at 1000 yards, but why?
It shows a real disrespect for the animal and the art of hunting.
How many animals are injured and never recovered because of stunts like this? I bet you for every "great" shot like this one there are a dozen others that are botched, the videos of which will never be posted.

AT&T
12-06-2010, 11:41 AM
Moose at 1000 yards, but why?
It shows a real disrespect for the animal and the art of hunting.
How many animals are injured and never recovered because of stunts like this? I bet you for every "great" shot like this one there are a dozen others that are botched, the videos of which will never be posted.

This thread is getting so silly. Maybe I shouldnt of started it. I appreciate what he did. Obviously he knows his shit. I have hit wolves at 700 using the same calibre he had. Same type scope as well. The shot is not my concern but wondering what kind of energy the bullet will really have at that distance. Our boys in the military pull that off with the same calibre all the time. Regardless of all the blah blah stuff. Good shooting. A long shot so satisfying.

oh and why would anyone with a 270 throw rocks at anyone. Theres a weapon that causes so much damage it is just dumb. To fast to light. not a meat eaters calibre. I dont like them. A bad girls rifle.

gitnadoix
12-06-2010, 11:41 AM
Comparing this event, a hnting scenario to a war scenario makes no sense what so ever, in war both parties have entered into the areana with an agreement to either kill or remove from the battle field by wonding the other person. If you break the oppostions leg at 2600 meters you take him out and his partner who now has to administer first aid to him.....plus if you did not do this he would try to do the same to you.....

Now a moose you are hunting for Sport/fun, if you can afford the guns and trucks and jet boats it is not for sustanance.......so we are now doing it for fun and have paracticed till we can hit the gong at the local range 8 ot of 10 times. so we line up on the standing still swamp donkey at 1100 yards and just as we pull the triger he takes a couple of steps and while we count of the full second it takes the bullet to get there his hind quarters lines up with the bullet........yea that does sound sporting...

We can all screw up and miss where we were aiming, but it is our duty to minimise those risks when we can, and waiting for an opportunity where it will not take a full second for the bullet to get there is a prety easy solution

JMHO

Gateholio
12-06-2010, 11:57 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ssh8Vsbvn2A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCyTRzL5AAQ&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VL8crbvPrzQ&feature=related

12-06-2010, 12:09 PM
oh and why would anyone with a 270 throw rocks at anyone. Theres a weapon that causes so much damage it is just dumb. To fast to light. not a meat eaters calibre. I dont like them. A bad girls rifle.

I'm assuming you're kidding, right?

And as far as your your comparison between hunting and sniping, one involves making a clean and quick kill the other involved killing or better yet wounding an enemy.

Rock Doctor
12-06-2010, 12:57 PM
I think we should decide, here and now, just what distance is to be considered "Out of range".
That way the guys that can't shoot will know what they should be able to do, and the guys that can shoot will know when they are being unethical:wink:

RD

500grhollowpoint
12-06-2010, 01:00 PM
I think we should decide, here and now, just what distance is to be considered "Out of range".
That way the guys that can't shoot will know what they should be able to do, and the guys that can shoot will know when they are being unethical:wink:

RD
Best line ever. You just redeemed a crappy thread.

AT&T
12-06-2010, 01:09 PM
That was perfect Rock Doctor. All I was trying to say by the military sniper comment was the shot is perfectly doable. Anyway I am going out this afternoon to shoot a Buck at 10 yards. Probably wound him, lose the arrow and track the deer into a neighbors garden. Any shot is risky. Especially when using a sharp stick and a piece of string.

IronNoggin
12-06-2010, 01:20 PM

LOL! I too assume you are joking here. 270 is a perfect meat gunners rifle. Toppled far too many with minimal damage to believe anything else. Oh, and My Missuz shoots it VERY well thank-you :twisted:

Cheers,
Nog

AT&T
12-06-2010, 01:23 PM
the 270 does alot of damage to a deer. Too much in my opinion. They are very popular. Some of which came from Jeff Coopers book. A person highly respected. I just dont like fast moving small bullets on deer. Sorry if I offended. That was wrong.

BigSlapper
12-06-2010, 01:43 PM
Wow ... AT&T ... what are you smokin?

sawmill
12-06-2010, 02:20 PM
What`s the drop on a kilometer long poke?30 feet or so?
And yeah I`d take a crack at a badguy because I don`t give a shit if I wound him,moose on the other hand deserves better.At least the moose ain`t gonna blow up an elementry school.

sawmill
12-06-2010, 02:23 PM
the 270 does alot of damage to a deer. Too much in my opinion. They are very popular. Some of which came from Jeff Coopers book. A person highly respected. I just dont like fast moving small bullets on deer. Sorry if I offended. That was wrong.
Does that mean my .243 is useless too?

AT&T
12-06-2010, 02:26 PM
What`s the drop on a kilometer long poke?30 feet or so?
And yeah I`d take a crack at a badguy because I don`t give a shit if I wound him,moose on the other hand deserves better.At least the moose ain`t gonna blow up an elementry school.

Thats funny. I guess a wound in a war is still a win.

Kudu
12-06-2010, 06:52 PM
Thats funny. I guess a wound in a war is still a win.

Have You ever been shot at - in a war situation?

have you ever shot at anyone in a war situation?

Two simple questions - lets have two simple answers.... then tell me about wounding and been wounded...!

untilthelastbeat
01-16-2011, 11:58 PM
i think 1100 meters with a good, well equiped .300 win mag and an extremely good shooter on almost any big game animal shouldnt be a problem. know your gun, your bullets, your enviroment and your game and that should be an acheivable shot.

Hotwheels81
01-17-2011, 02:12 AM
A 300wm at 1100yrds with 180gr hornady sp ammo is around 1200fps and 574ftlbs.... Thats about the same as a .357 mag @ point blank so ya i would say its got the "oomph" to drop a moose, horse, bison, raptor, goo dripping alien etc etc.

I would be more worried the bullet wouldent expand at that velocity then anything else.... Kinda like when a bow hunter shoots a broad head at a animal from 10yrds and the arrow passes clean thru the animal... And they show shots like that on public TV.... Lol...

My buddys dad used to shoot manitoba wt's around 300-600yrds... In his old age now he prefers to shoot em 50-60' away... Says hes to old to pack meat thru the woods now, i think hes got a point.

proguide66
01-17-2011, 02:34 AM
I am confident the shooter Trevor is a proven and quite capable hunter.

I also feel that the 'ethics' call on ANYONE can only be made by themselves at themselves and deffinitely by no one on here including myself.
Wether its 50 or 1500 yrds , if YOU can do it..its ethical...if you cant? well dont do it and deffinitely dont talk about it on here,haha.

Of course the naturally 'herd minded' humans will always build each other up into an 'ethics' rant and bash and attack....well thats wrong...

If you CAN shoot a killing shot at 100 rds with a bow , I would encourage it and compliment you...guns er arrows....( now before you get yourself puckered too tightly , re read the part that says ' if you CAN' ).

shit , i seen more wounds on all flavours of game at rediculously close ranges than not...

yama49
01-17-2011, 08:48 AM
I am confident the shooter Trevor is a proven and quite capable hunter.

I also feel that the 'ethics' call on ANYONE can only be made by themselves at themselves and deffinitely by no one on here including myself.
Wether its 50 or 1500 yrds , if YOU can do it..its ethical...if you cant? well dont do it and deffinitely dont talk about it on here,haha.

Of course the naturally 'herd minded' humans will always build each other up into an 'ethics' rant and bash and attack....well thats wrong...

If you CAN shoot a killing shot at 100 rds with a bow , I would encourage it and compliment you...guns er arrows....( now before you get yourself puckered too tightly , re read the part that says ' if you CAN' ).

shit , i seen more wounds on all flavours of game at rediculously close ranges than not...

I agree with proguide, probably more wounded at close range then long range. Most people shooting at far distances have put the time in behind the trigger.

hunter7413
01-17-2011, 09:50 AM
Trevor is a good friend of mine and he spends countless hours shooting on the big gravel bars on the muskwa river.He gets groups of six inches at 8 and 9 hundred yards,i get the same at 300 yards and feel comfortable shooting a moose at 400 but with his experience he feels comfortable at a 1000. It takes lot of practice,time and money but most of use can do it with the right equipment and time spent on the range.....Brad

greenhorn
01-17-2011, 10:16 AM

Those seem like some dandy shots! Way too far for me but he didn't seem to fussed about making them at all....

I like the reticle in the scopes... do you use the lower dots based on range.... I assume you'd sight in and each dot would compensate for bullet drop?

ChilliwackWinchester
01-17-2011, 10:17 AM
chuck norris could've done that with his flem wad.

whitetailsheds
01-17-2011, 11:51 AM
know your gun, your bullets, your enviroment and your game and that should be an acheivable shot.

Well stated....nice shot Trev! Love little G with ya.....priceless!

todbartell
01-17-2011, 12:29 PM
A 300wm at 1100yrds with 180gr hornady sp ammo is around 1200fps and 574ftlbs....

he was using a 180gr Nosler Ballistic Tip

@ 3000 fps it'd hit 1100 yards with 1250 fps and 630 ft lbs

about what a 30-30 would impact with at 350 yards

shot placement shot placement shot placement!

Hotwheels81
01-17-2011, 01:06 PM
he was using a 180gr Nosler Ballistic Tip

@ 3000 fps it'd hit 1100 yards with 1250 fps and 630 ft lbs

about what a 30-30 would impact with at 350 yards

shot placement shot placement shot placement!

Or about what a .375 ruger does at 600yrds :-p

Indeed, shot placement and trigger time... Know your rifle, know your limits.

hart
01-17-2011, 08:45 PM
Lets say his accuracy was even a little better and he got the elevation right but the drift was still the same. What would the reaction of the moose been then.

I would love to be able to shoot like that, but there are so many variables.

Hart

moosinaround
01-17-2011, 09:09 PM
Lets say his accuracy was even a little better and he got the elevation right but the drift was still the same. What would the reaction of the moose been then.

I would love to be able to shoot like that, but there are so many variables.

Hart
That is why you practice. In many different situations. You don't buy a rifle and a box of cartridges and head out for an 1100m shot.

hart
01-17-2011, 09:17 PM
That is why you practice. In many different situations. You don't buy a rifle and a box of cartridges and head out for an 1100m shot.

Exactly, he practiced some more, corrected his elevation, but had a worse outcome.

Hart

M.Dean
01-17-2011, 09:28 PM
I've fired some at a 1000 yards, I use a 300 Win Mag with 180 Gr Sierra BT's. There's a big rock where we shoot,it's about 3 feet round, we measured it off at roughly 1000 yrd's, it's a lot of fun! After we got dialed in, we were hitting the rock with every round! I very likely doubt I would try to shoot some thing at that range, way to much chance of a crippling shot for me! I have a 4x12 Leopold on a Rem 700 BDL, and I was dam near out of Scope when I fired!

fozzy
01-17-2011, 10:23 PM
A few days ago two of us were out shooting our 338's at 1050 yards. Two young fellas came along and we offered them a few shots. The first guy smacked the gong on his first round. The second guy yanked the trigger and only wanted to try one shot.

todbartell
01-17-2011, 10:29 PM
I've fired some at a 1000 yards, I use a 300 Win Mag with 180 Gr Sierra BT's. There's a big rock where we shoot,it's about 3 feet round, we measured it off at roughly 1000 yrd's, it's a lot of fun! After we got dialed in, we were hitting the rock with every round! I very likely doubt I would try to shoot some thing at that range, way to much chance of a crippling shot for me! I have a 4x12 Leopold on a Rem 700 BDL, and I was dam near out of Scope when I fired!

that's why you use these :-D

http://128.171.62.162/hawthorn-engineering/thr/optics/leupold/mark4/bdc.jpg

fozzy
01-17-2011, 10:37 PM

http://128.171.62.162/hawthorn-engineering/thr/optics/leupold/mark4/bdc.jpg

Exactly! And picatinny style rail with minimum 20MOA built in, 40 is better.

anypointwilldo
01-17-2011, 10:37 PM
overall it was a great shot! Congratts to the shooter!

fozzy
01-17-2011, 10:43 PM
My first exposure to LR was in Nokomis Sask. I had my Rem 700bdl with a 4.5-14 vx3. I too ran out of elevation and it took a few rounds to get on target. Right then I started plans for a dedicated LR rig.
The right gear and practice are paramount.

steelheadSABO
01-17-2011, 10:49 PM
I think the one's that say it's not possible are in the "Flinch" category

fozzy
01-17-2011, 11:00 PM
I think the one's that say it's not possible are in the "Flinch" category

As for the original post and Trevor, yup great shot.

Even for the nay sayers I've had guys out shooting before that say "I can't shoot that far". A little coaching and yes they can. Lots of guys spend years hunting with antique rifles that when they're "on the paper" they are happy. Given a quality rifle they can shoot better.

M.Dean
01-18-2011, 06:50 AM

http://128.171.62.162/hawthorn-engineering/thr/optics/leupold/mark4/bdc.jpg Nice!!!! Maybe send me one and I'll Demo It for you guys!!! About the only way I could bring a Scope like that home, would be to sell a Quad, and that won't happen! Very nice Scope, whats the price range for a beauty like that?

fozzy
01-18-2011, 06:56 AM
A Leupold Mk4 lists for about 1800 at wholesale sports

hntcrazy
01-18-2011, 07:23 AM
All i can say to this is ....Why ? And who really cares ?

fozzy
01-18-2011, 09:03 AM
All i can say to this is ....Why ? And who really cares ?

Maybe readers digest would be more up your alley as apposed to a hunting forum? Move along!

M.Dean
01-18-2011, 09:11 AM
A Leupold Mk4 lists for about 1800 at wholesale sports If I get to Town today, maybe I'll pick up a couple for my Rifles!!!:grin:

Buck TraX
01-18-2011, 01:53 PM
Congrats on a GREAT shot! and a CLEAN kill!
To all the nay sayers out there maybe with a little patience and practice you could be confident in taking a shot like that!

Shooter Jr.
01-18-2011, 02:02 PM
Little curious as to why the moose just "disappeared" in thin air? look right before he zooms out, they disappear?

Whonnock Boy
01-18-2011, 02:07 PM
Little curious as to why the moose just "disappeared" in thin air? look right before he zooms out, they disappear?

I am surprised no one noticed it. Nice eyes. But yeah, the three cows totally vanish!!!

todbartell
01-18-2011, 02:56 PM
its called photo editing :D notice how it only took him 3 minutes to load 4 quarters into the boat? :mrgreen:

BlacktailStalker
01-18-2011, 03:03 PM
its called photo editing :D notice how it only took him 3 minutes to load 4 quarters into the boat? :mrgreen:

No kidding. Some people need to find a hobby after hunting season, doubters/haters!

Freshtracks
01-18-2011, 06:22 PM

And we'll add this one too... well then covers both. :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sr2McOMJLgQ&feature=related

tristanmac
01-18-2011, 06:40 PM
I am surprised no one noticed it. Nice eyes. But yeah, the three cows totally vanish!!!

Basic video editing, when he got to zooming out, the cows were no longer in the screen, so what he did was cut the video of the cows leaving and went straight to the zoom out with a fade effect. Thus making video shorter.

Jelvis
01-18-2011, 06:52 PM
Thing that I don't understand is these guys like the Alaskan moose hunter at over 800 yards says he can shoot a moose out there easy every time cuz he knows what he does every time at the range. He knows how to hit dead center at the range at 800 so it's no different in the field at 800.
So why is he so excited when he drops the moose? He knew he would anyways. He acts like it's an amazing feat after the moose goes down, why is he so surprized then? lol.
Jel .. same as at the range he says he could do it over and over in the field
Why is he so elated then, explain. He looks surprised at the fact he killed it at that far. Why? lol

deer nut
01-18-2011, 07:05 PM
Couldn't he have gotten much closer along the riverbank? Perhaps if he didn't have his toddler in tow....not sure about that....unlkess a 3rd person was along.

Buck TraX
01-18-2011, 07:05 PM
Wouldent you be surprised and excited to see a moose go down after 1 shot regardless of the range!! I WOULD BE!!!
Dont forget he has a nice FAST jetboat sitting there he could be there in about 2 minutes to track it if it wandered off i would think?

Jelvis
01-18-2011, 07:12 PM
This is about long range shooting, that's the heading.
Otherwise it wouldn't mention the distance right?
The main idea is 1100 meter shot.
The Alaskan was 890.
Some people need to climb Everest to get excited .. I can get excited climbing a twenty foot ladder lol.

Buck TraX
01-18-2011, 07:19 PM
This is about long range shooting, that's the heading.
Otherwise it wouldn't mention the distance right?
The main idea is 1100 meter shot.
The Alaskan was 830.
Some people need to climb Everest to get excited .. I can get excited climbing a twenty foot ladder lol.

Sorry jel dident see the other vid hiding there:-D

finngun
01-18-2011, 07:44 PM
to be exact--it was 1100 yards kill-- no meters..
1100 yard is 1005meters..but hats off anyway..beautiful
shot..clean kill...
bullet drop 7,5 m..need little bit luck too..and experience..

Gateholio
01-18-2011, 10:28 PM
Hunting Ethics and the Ethical Hunter

Hunting has two kinds of laws.
One is the written law that is enforced by the game warden. The other is unwritten. It is an ethical code or code of honor that the true sportsman places on himself or herself.
Most hunters obey the game laws, but that alone is not enough. Without ethics, man or woman can be a licensed, law abiding hunter and still be a poor sportsman.
There is nothing illegal about shooting at a running whitetail deer over 600 yards away (with a rifle) or trying to down a bird flying over 100 yards high or shooting an arrow at an animal that is out of his or her effective shooting range. It is certainly unethical and only a poor sportsman would try it.
The ethical hunter knows both the limits of his or her equipment and their shooting ability and always tries for a clean quick kill. In addition, the ethical hunter obeys all laws when hunting. The hunter acts as a goodwill ambassador for the sport and for all other hunters.
He or She knows that the town, where road signs are used for target practice, quickly removes the welcome mat for hunters. And the farmer whose property or livestock are abused will post his land and forbid further hunting.
A real sportsman does all they can to grow in hunting skills. If he or she is not a good shot, they will work hard at it and practice all they can. A real sportsman learns all about their quarry. He or she learns all about the range that they hunt. In other words he/she has respect for their quarry and hunts it in only fair and sporting ways. As an ethical hunter, a real hunter believes in "fair chase", and never takes unfair advantage of the game being hunted. This principle of "fair chase" is often part of the law.
On the other hand it may not be against the law to shoot a bird on the ground or a duck swimming in the water or a rabbit in hiding, but the ethical hunter will never do that.
A person who takes pride in hunting and in themselves being hunters always hunts in such a way that neither he / she nor the game they hunt is ever shamed. The ethical hunter treats game with respect both before and after the shot.
That is why the ethical bird hunter, if they can afford to keep one, uses a trained bird dog. The dog is used not to just find the birds, but to recover them when they are downed.
The big game hunter makes every possible effort to avoid wounding game, and if that is the case, all further hunting is stopped until the game is found. He or She will even abandon hunting to help another hunter find wounded game.
The ethical hunter never takes more than the legal limit of game. But more important, he/she never takes more than they can use. Game is cleaned quickly and skillfully and brought to the kitchen in prime condition. It is never wasted and real pride is taken in this because it is a sure sign of the hunter's skill and knowledge. It also shows that respect for game is a part of his or her self respect as a seasoned hunter.
There are two main kinds of people in this world, the givers and the takers. The ethical hunter is a giver. The unethical hunter - the poacher, the man or woman who breaks the game laws and sets no standard for his or her conduct as a hunter is a taker.
It is the ethical hunter who gives a friend the advantage for getting a good shot and who likes the odds in his hunting slanted in favor of the game hunted. The ethical hunter takes pleasure in sharing the game that is taken with those whose land was hunted.
It is the ethical hunter who is willing to take the time to introduce a youngster to the enjoyment of the hunting experience.
The unethical hunter, the taker, never gives anyone an even break. They are people who brag about their success when a limit is filled or makes excuses when it is not. They will hunt private property without permission and show no respect for the land on which they trespassed. The driving force is never the thrill of the hunt, but how much game can be shot.
While even the ethical hunter may never enjoy the full approval of the non-hunting public, the public may at least tolerate them. And as public awareness of the hunter's significant role in conservation increases, anti-hunting sentiment may recede.
What type of hunter are you?

Is this your own words or are you quoting someone?

You should probably put this on your own thread discussing personal ethics, because this thread has nothing to do with birds, arrows, wounded game, exceeding bag limits, private land, etc etc....:confused:

2SHALLOW
01-18-2011, 10:37 PM
Is this your own words or are you quoting someone?

You should probably put this on your own thread discussing personal ethics, because this thread has nothing to do with birds, arrows, wounded game, exceeding bag limits, private land, etc etc....:confused:
Lol no not mine found it on the net. Just thought it was a good read about knowing your equipment and your right i will remove it and put it in anothre thread. I am good friends with trev and was trying to prove a point about what people were saying about it being an unethical shot, which it wasnt!!
I have seen his gun and he knows his shit period. Great shot great vid!!!

bigshooter
01-19-2011, 09:20 PM
Nice shot.
I was a little nervous with the little one on the shoal with all that meat.
If you can operate a boat on the river with a little one with no help you have spent some time doing it.

91Jason91
06-18-2012, 07:48 PM
you know I find it funny .... dude shoots a moose at 1000 yrds and he is lynched ....

some other dude shoots a bad guy at 2750 and he is considered a hero

Am I the only one that sees the irony .... perhaps the Holier than thou elitest attitude put towards the 1000 yard moose shooter ....

You guys are fricken worse than the anti crossbow crowd ... actually check that ... You guys are worse than any Anti ..... Crowd

Get a fricken grip on reality ...

No shit hey
That is an awesome shot that was taking and a great job
whats the point in a big long range expensive gun if your not willing to use it?
I would way rather drop a moose at 1100 than 100 If I knew I was able to make the shot.
this guy is f**k**G awesome

91Jason91
06-18-2012, 07:55 PM
I have the balistics on my gun stock of bullet drop up 100. 200 . 300 ...... 800.
So far I have taken 800 yard shots at targs and I am hitting bulls eyes. But I train lots look up info all the time and get trainning by ERT snipers.
I would not take a 1100 yard shot because I havnt trained for that far yet but I think if someone has trained and can make those shots why not?

f350ps
06-18-2012, 08:47 PM
I have the balistics on my gun stock of bullet drop up 100. 200 . 300 ...... 800.
So far I have taken 800 yard shots at targs and I am hitting bulls eyes. But I train lots look up info all the time and get trainning by ERT snipers.
I would not take a 1100 yard shot because I havnt trained for that far yet but I think if someone has trained and can make those shots why not?
Bullseyes at a 1/2 a mile eh, what are you shooting? I'd love to come and watch ya some day. K

Jeff88
06-18-2012, 08:53 PM
Bullseyes at a 1/2 a mile eh, what are you shooting? I'd love to come and watch ya some day. K

whats your issue ...dont think its possible ....why u such a doubter...

Gateholio
06-18-2012, 08:58 PM

It's not that complicated if you know what you are doing. You need good gear, good ammunition, practice and knowledge.

f350ps
06-18-2012, 09:54 PM
whats your issue ...dont think its possible ....why u such a doubter...
Where did I say I doubted him, you need some serious reading comprehension lessons. I'll say it slower for ya, I'd... love... to...come...and...watch...ya...some...day. That better? K

Jeff88
06-18-2012, 09:56 PM
Where did I say I doubted him, you need some serious reading comprehension lessons. I'll say it slower for ya, I'd... love... to...come...and...watch...ya...some...day. That better? K

haha...........

doubled
06-18-2012, 10:41 PM

There goes the beer on the LCD again, awesome!!!

Coming_out_heavy.
06-19-2012, 12:08 AM
I love the yappers on here.... cracking me right up.

Trevor does what most people just talk about, plain and simple.

This was not a hail mary shot. You give him a yardage, he is hitting the target. I know he had trouble getting the EXACT yardage for this shot due to range finder issues.

He has put more money,time, and effort into his long range shooting than most people could imagine.

06-19-2012, 08:10 AM
wow i cant believe this one came back! Well, maybe i can.
It is amazing how with the right Cartridge in the right rifle with the right shooter can do. Go look at Defensiveedge.net look at the videos and gallery. They are the creators of the Ever popular .338 Edge

you nay sayers will get mad, but you will be blown away!........... 24' Moa 2' wind drift..... 1600yds....... Its a BOOM flop..... Bang flop is for nay sayer!

abbyfireguy
06-19-2012, 09:04 AM
Holy smokes, talk about spill over stress from waiting for LEH results. Sounds like a bunch of nattering old ladies here! Sheesh!!!
Gets like this at my house when the wife and daughter have their monthly visitor at the
same time.
I guess this thread needs a tampon to fix the issue. LOL Sorry guys,it was a long night at work..I need sleep.

genockous
06-19-2012, 09:24 AM
Blah Blah Blah.....

It was so far away when he got to it ,it was rotten lol

Fella
06-19-2012, 09:54 AM
Thought it was a great shot! I know I wouldn't be able to make that shot.

The Hermit
06-19-2012, 10:43 AM
Anyone that shoots the same bullet, load, and rifle all the time and wants to make longer range hunting a lot easier ought to consider a custom scope. VantagePoint Outfitters sells Quigley-Ford scopes... we take your data and do the ballistic calculations, and based a two hundred yard zero, laser etch the reticle out to 1000 yards for you. So all you have to do is range the distance, aim, and fire. Of course the further out you get the more the wind, weather etc will effect your results but you will be miles ahead! Good Euro glass, custom built scope for your rifle, bullet, and FPS for about $900. I'll have a few at the Huntfest show this weekend and Quigley-Ford will be there too. Stop by the both and say hello!

Bowzone_Mikey
06-19-2012, 10:52 AM
*Nominated *!

for bringing back a thread thats a year and half old

No shit hey
That is an awesome shot that was taking and a great job
whats the point in a big long range expensive gun if your not willing to use it?
I would way rather drop a moose at 1100 than 100 If I knew I was able to make the shot.
this guy is f**k**G awesome

06-19-2012, 10:54 AM
*Nominated *!

he seems to like doing that... Bringing back old "Fight threads" so we can have at'er again.

fozzy
06-19-2012, 12:38 PM
Nice shooting, plain and simple!
Many of the negative comments come from the guys that maybe shoot a box of ammo each year, never practice and are glad to hit the pie plate they hung on a stump near their camp at 200 yards.

Practice long through the summer and shoot them where you find 'em. Having said that I'm all for the long range hunting and also enjoy getting close.
Anytime one of the nay-sayers wants to come out and try some long range shooting, let's go. It wouldn't be the first invite I've sent out on this site.

Again, nice shooting :)

06-19-2012, 12:47 PM
Fozzy,,
hopefully i'll be in the league soon and i will need help wraping my head around it all!
I'll let ya know if it happens

untilthelastbeat
06-19-2012, 01:49 PM
It brings questions to mind. Ballistics wise. A 300wm at 500 yards is about the same as a 30 30 at 100 yards. Something like that. So what energy does a 300wm have at 1100 meters? I have shot a moose at 650 meters but 1100. blows me away.

depends on how your loading your bullets..... 300 win mag is one of the best long range bullets. and you can definatly make loads that are effective on moose at 1100 meters.

untilthelastbeat
06-19-2012, 01:57 PM
Nice shooting, plain and simple!
Many of the negative comments come from the guys that maybe shoot a box of ammo each year, never practice and are glad to hit the pie plate they hung on a stump near their camp at 200 yards.

Practice long through the summer and shoot them where you find 'em. Having said that I'm all for the long range hunting and also enjoy getting close.
Anytime one of the nay-sayers wants to come out and try some long range shooting, let's go. It wouldn't be the first invite I've sent out on this site.

Again, nice shooting :)

Thats right! git em! ;) hahaha
im sick of everyone complaining about long range hunting because they dont think its ethical... its bullsh*t.

Jeff88
06-19-2012, 02:50 PM

u said it when u said ...bullseye at a halfmile eh ...

IM PRETTY SURE WE ALL SENSED YOUR SARCASIM

dino
06-19-2012, 03:58 PM

900m bud a few hundred over the half mile mark.
http://s233.photobucket.com/albums/ee306/heydino/?action=view&current=20120521_103815.mp4

f350ps
06-19-2012, 04:03 PM
900m bud a few hundred over the half mile mark
http://s233.photobucket.com/albums/ee306/heydino/?action=view&current=20120521_103815.mp4
Another reading challenged one eh, look back at what I was refferring to, bud! Big difference in hitting a 2' piece of tin and a bullseye, ya think? K

Gateholio
06-19-2012, 04:06 PM
Another reading challenged one eh, look back at what I was refferring to, bud! Big difference in hitting a 2' piece of tin and a bullseye, ya think? K

Depends on how big a bullseye you are using. A 800 yard shot with a 1 MOA bullseye would make the bullseye around 8" in diameter.

Jeff88
06-19-2012, 04:10 PM

whats with the K at the end of your comments ..are you challenged

Jeff88
06-19-2012, 04:13 PM

nice shooten dino

pescado
06-19-2012, 04:14 PM
What a great shot and with his young daughter no less. Real cool, well done, high fives all around. That was no Hail Mary. He knows what he's doing and had the right tools for the job. Bravissimo!!!

06-19-2012, 04:16 PM
Depends on how big a bullseye you are using. A 800 yard shot with a 1 MOA bullseye would make the bullseye around 8" in diameter.

That is the trouble with the nay sayers...... How big is the "Bullseye" at 1100 meters?
I will fully confess, this stuff currently is way out of my realm of capability. Though i am trying to understand it. Things like the tearm "Bullseye" are relavent. A bullseye at 100 is not the same size at 1000. What makes it a Bullseye is MOA. So going with this MOA at 100yds is 1" corect? What would MOA be at 1000? And how do you figure it out?

See it is not as simple as you think. There is way more thought that goes into this then what 80% of hunters can understand. My self, i want to give it a go.....

Gateholio
06-19-2012, 04:22 PM
You can use any size bullseye you want but most of the paper targets seem to have 1 or 2 MOA bullseyes for 100 yard shooting, which would be approx 1"-2". Most long range target shooters are using larger bullseyes for better/easier aiming purposes.

What matters in the realm of hunting is the size of the bullseye on a moose or deer. A moose bulseye can eaily be 24" in diameter so at 1000 yards it's 2.5 MOA (approx)

dino
06-19-2012, 04:29 PM
My experience at the range is that most shooters are at about 5-6 moa, thats why the lr shooting offends them.K :)

dino
06-19-2012, 04:42 PM
When you say bullseye what are you refferring to? I never hear any shooters use that term except in darts. Poi might help you clarify.D

Moose Guide
06-19-2012, 06:16 PM
My experience at the range is that most shooters are at about 5-6 moa, thats why the lr shooting offends them.K :)

I disagree, the reason a lot of hunters are not in favour of long range hunting is bullit flight time(if the animal steps after you shoot, you wound it) which can be viewed as a lack of ethics(taking poor or ifee shots) and many would agree it is not fair chase(the hunter is taking unfair advantage). When hunters wore Mackinaws and wool pants and shot average rifles, we were generaly respected! Now we all wear camo, shoot magnums and don't even respect each other. What will ultra long range hunting do for our image? Just my thoughts, you are welcome to disagree!

KodiakHntr
06-19-2012, 06:46 PM
Big difference in some clown lobbing rounds out at eyeballed distances, versus a guy like Trevor putting in the time and $$$ to buy the gear and learn how to use it. 1100 yards on a moose sized target isn't a big deal if you learn your gear and your limitations.

Ethics comes into play knowing what your capabilities are, and working within them. There is sooo much more to becoming proficient at long range hunting than simply guessing what the holdover is, or being able to dial a turret.

KodiakHntr
06-19-2012, 06:50 PM
I disagree, the reason a lot of hunters are not in favour of long range hunting is bullit flight time(if the animal steps after you shoot, you wound it) which can be viewed as a lack of ethics(taking poor or ifee shots) and many would agree it is not fair chase(the hunter is taking unfair advantage). When hunters wore Mackinaws and wool pants and shot average rifles, we were generaly respected! Now we all wear camo, shoot magnums and don't even respect each other. What will ultra long range hunting do for our image? Just my thoughts, you are welcome to disagree!

Wearing a mackinaw or wool pants won't do anything to fix our image. I've got news for you, anti hunters are going to try and tarnish our image no matter what. People that try and use emotion to make decisions aren't going to give a pinch of coon poo whether we shoot animals at two thousand yards ith uber duper magnums, or jump on their backs from trees buck ass naked and try to bite their throats out with our teeth.

Our image is what it is now. Ain't nothing that we can do to change that now.

91Jason91
06-19-2012, 07:16 PM
...... ghn nfgn fg nhgfh fghfgh fgh fgh fg hfg

91Jason91
06-19-2012, 07:32 PM
*Nominated *!

its cause someone els was talking about this in another thread and that thread was locked and the link to this thread was posted in that one saying talk about the topic in this thread..,...

91Jason91
06-19-2012, 07:35 PM
http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh588/91Jason91/IMG_1330.jpg
http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh588/91Jason91/IMG_1331.jpg

dino
06-19-2012, 08:14 PM

the flight time thing I dont agree with, an animal can move at close range with the same result. The people that actually shoot out to the 1000m mark know what it takes to get there and they in my opinion have a better idea of what is an ethical shot or not. The guys that sight their rifles in at 100m and try a 300m shot are the guys to worry about, which is 90% of hunters out there. I also dont think that there are that many people out there that spend the time or money to shoot out that far, I always invite my hunting buddys to buy a couple of hundred rounds to sight their rifle in at a 1000y range that I have set up by my cabin and they will decline because of the shear cost of the ammo let alone all the other costs. To shoot and kill at 1100 like trev did is acceptable to me because he can, I cant so I wont take the shot yet. If you really want to get an eye opener on lr hunting go to the lr sites down south of the border and you will see were not alone.

Moose Guide
06-19-2012, 10:51 PM
A bullit leaving your muzzle at 3300 fps will take over .5 of a second to travel 500 yds, that time will probably triple for a 1000 yd shot! Extreme long shots are just as unethical as not sighting in your rifle before the season imo. In my oppinion it is not ethical, not sporting and not fair chase and therefore damaging to our reputation as hunters! I guess you will just have to decide what you are comfortabl with! I personaly will not hunt with or guide anyone choosing to shoot at extreme distances!

Moose Guide
06-19-2012, 11:03 PM
Our image is what it is now. Ain't nothing that we can do to change that now

I disagree, we can fight hard to improve it or we can continue to post videos on you tube that show poor shooting, lack of respect and horrible ethics to be used against us. In my mind long range shooting fits in that group! If your ok with it, that is your choice!

91Jason91
06-20-2012, 02:06 AM
well that youtube vid there was one hell of a shot!

Rubicon500
06-20-2012, 09:49 AM
A bullit leaving your muzzle at 3300 fps will take over .5 of a second to travel 500 yds, that time will probably triple for a 1000 yd shot! Extreme long shots are just as unethical as not sighting in your rifle before the season imo. In my oppinion it is not ethical, not sporting and not fair chase and therefore damaging to our reputation as hunters! I guess you will just have to decide what you are comfortabl with! I personaly will not hunt with or guide anyone choosing to shoot at extreme distances!

Well you do the math but I guess bow hunting is unethical to in your oppionion to then ? The time it takes a arrow to travel say 60-70 yards the animal also has time to move as well. At the end of the day the antis look at it your killing a animal , they dont know the differnce from a 300 yard shot to an 800 yard shot.

finngun
06-20-2012, 11:02 AM
i agree dino---The people that actually shoot out to the 1000m mark know what it takes to get there and they in my opinion have a better idea of what is an ethical shot or not. The guys that sight their rifles in at 100m and try a 300m shot are the guys to worry about, which is 90% of hunters out there. I also dont think that there are that many people out there that spend the time or money to shoot out that far, I always invite my hunting buddys to buy a couple of hundred rounds to sight their rifle in at a 1000y range that I have set up by my cabin and they will decline because of the shear cost of the ammo let alone all the other costs.
yep
too many hunters dont practice shooting..at fall they just blow dust off from the gun and start hunting withaut even shooting any bullets..before hunting..or just few..
how anyone can learn to shoot withaut practicing? :confused: born to be a sharpshooter????

dino
06-20-2012, 11:28 AM
I will be shooting this weekend with a couple of hundred rounds, 0-500 will be with my 300saum and 500-1000 with my lapua. I found that the lr shooting hobby is like getting the golf bug. I cant wait to go shoot.

Bowzone_Mikey
06-20-2012, 12:06 PM

900 meters is exactly 100 Meters over the 1/2 mile mark

Just sayin ....

I bet you tell a hell of a fishin story ;)

dino
06-20-2012, 12:53 PM
Sorry,but i comes from telling my wife what 10 inches look like. LOL

Bowzone_Mikey
06-20-2012, 01:15 PM
Sorry,but i comes from telling my wife what 10 inches look like. LOL

;) Figgered as much ... lol

Rock Doctor
06-20-2012, 01:38 PM
I personaly will not hunt with or guide anyone choosing to shoot at extreme distances!

So, what is "Extreme Distances"? Do you just make up a random # for different clients, or base it on what cartridge they are shooting?
How far is too far for a person you've never met before, and have zero knowledge of their shooting abilities? Should all hunters booked with you just bring a 35 Rem, knowing you won't guide them or let them shoot past 250 yrds/meters, whatever?

If you're a Guide, you have obviously seen guys get shaky from "Buck Fever" at a piddly little 50-100yrd shot. Do you yank their rifle away from them, or do you "Let 'em try for it"? Does it matter if the target is a Moose or a Rabbit? Are different ranges acceptable for non-food type animals like coyotes or gophers?

Don't take offence, I am genuinely curious as to how you decide how far I can shoot. Is it the same distance for me as it is for you? Does it matter if we're pointed uphill, downhill, or on the level?

How do you decide?

RD

todbartell
06-20-2012, 01:43 PM
150 yards is extreme range for the average shooter, given an unsupported field position.

Moose Guide
06-20-2012, 04:59 PM
So, what is "Extreme Distances"? Do you just make up a random # for different clients, or base it on what cartridge they are shooting?
How far is too far for a person you've never met before, and have zero knowledge of their shooting abilities? Should all hunters booked with you just bring a 35 Rem, knowing you won't guide them or let them shoot past 250 yrds/meters, whatever?

If you're a Guide, you have obviously seen guys get shaky from "Buck Fever" at a piddly little 50-100yrd shot. Do you yank their rifle away from them, or do you "Let 'em try for it"? Does it matter if the target is a Moose or a Rabbit? Are different ranges acceptable for non-food type animals like coyotes or gophers?

Don't take offence, I am genuinely curious as to how you decide how far I can shoot. Is it the same distance for me as it is for you? Does it matter if we're pointed uphill, downhill, or on the level?

How do you decide?

RD

All the hunters I guided were required to sight in their rifles before we hunted(so I did have some idea of how well they could shoot) and most would ask me how close I could get the moose as they didn't want to shoot too far. It really wouldn't matter to me if you could pick the eye out of a fly at 2000 yds, If you mess up it is me who gets to track a moose through swamp and river while the hunter sits in camp and tells lies, and since most of the time I can call the moose within 200 yds or much less I would not feel comfortable allowing a customer to shoot farther than I could cover shoot.

91Jason91
06-20-2012, 05:00 PM
I was hunting by myself once and bumped into 2 random hunters well I was on a walk back down the mt and a small buck came out and I told them I dont want it. One of the guys took a shot at the white tail , first shot gut shot, second shot in the ass, and then third shot killed it.... the buck was 64 yards away when I ranged it. The guys could hardly speak english and I just shook my head walking away telling them they need to hit the gun range and get better at shooting. Couldnt believe their aim at that close.

Moose Guide
06-20-2012, 05:24 PM
well that youtube vid there was one hell of a shot!

Yes it was, he is obviously a great shot! Why didn't he just cruise down the river about 900 meters and take a closer shot?

Brett
06-20-2012, 05:42 PM
because he didn't need to. Confident in his abilities and practised. Shooting an animal at this distance is not for most, but for some, having the time to set up and relax MAY make them a better shot at distance than most are panicking that there animal will bolt. For some getting in REAL close is a high and for others it`s the other way.
This debate will go on for ever just like every other debate that involves personal opinion.

BCBRAD
06-20-2012, 07:02 PM
because he didn't need to. Confident in his abilities and practised. Shooting an animal at this distance is not for most, but for some, having the time to set up and relax MAY make them a better shot at distance than most are panicking that there animal will bolt. For some getting in REAL close is a high and for others it`s the other way.
This debate will go on for ever just like every other debate that involves personal opinion.

Agreed, I do my best work offhand out to 300yds or so. I only practice offhand , if y'all do it differn't thats cool with me.

91Jason91
06-20-2012, 07:35 PM
Yes it was, he is obviously a great shot! Why didn't he just cruise down the river about 900 meters and take a closer shot?

the reason why he didnt is because its way sicker to make a shot like that on vid than a shot at 300 on vid!