PDA

View Full Version : selling Grizzly

Krico
06-05-2006, 07:10 PM
I have a friend who got a grizz, and is planning on selling it once he has it inspected. Hide is in great shape, no rubs and is 82 inches nose to tail. Front paws are 7 5/8 inches across. Anyone know what it's worth, or know anyone who might be interested?

moosecaller
06-05-2006, 08:11 PM
Delete this one before it gets going!!! An ounce of prevention and all that......

mainland hunter
06-05-2006, 08:11 PM
pm sent krico

bighornbob
06-06-2006, 07:55 AM
I will give you 20 bucks.

BHB

06-06-2006, 09:15 AM
Krico.......tell your buddy to check with taxidermists shops. Once its been inspected it's his to do with as he wants, and often the folks in the trade have contacts or know someone etc.
Or maybe check around on American sites that might be into buying it. (would have to check into the legal aspects of cross border???)

bigwhiteys
06-06-2006, 09:18 AM
Sorry for being abrasive. I agree that the bear is his and he should be allowed to do what he wants with it. If the bear was shot and killed for the sole purpose of just selling it after inspection then I don't think it's all that cool. Considering the Grizzly hunt is one that the Anti's seem to like to focus in on and this is something they would surely try to throw back in our face.

But in the big picture animals are killed and sold by the millions everyday.

Just expressing my view thats all. I hope the guy gets a good price for it and would concurr with what others have stated regarding contacting a taxidermist or two and asking them. I am sure they would be able to help find a buyer if not buy it themselves for some demo work or something.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

Stone Sheep Steve
06-06-2006, 09:47 AM
Once its been inspected it's his to do with as he wants
I agree. It's a legally taken bear and he can do with it what he chooses. Maybe he's already taken 5 grizzlies or maybe his kid is sick in the hospital and he's had to take time off work and needs the money so they don't take his house or maybe he has to pay for expensive medication.

Let's just help Krico with his question and move on........................

SSS

bigwhiteys
06-06-2006, 10:00 AM
Well I guess so then... Good Luck.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

Gateholio
06-06-2006, 10:09 AM
After inspection the hide is his and he can sell t or give it away or burn it, it's noone elses business but his.

If it's listed for sale here, just make sure it goes into the proper forum.:p

06-06-2006, 10:29 AM
I have a small grizz hanging on my wall (my first) and should the gods that look after the draws ever lay another opportunity to harvest a g-bear in my direction, l have thought about doing what Kricos buddy is doing. The hunt itself is my reward, what happens afterwards is a personal thing and is totally up to the individual who harvested the animal, l think.

bigwhiteys
06-06-2006, 10:35 AM

Why not hunt with a camera then? You don't even need to get drawn for that and the pictures and video can be sold. You're basically saying you just want to kill it.

Your right... It's a personal thing.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

LOC
06-06-2006, 10:55 AM
a little off topic, but... if you sell a fur bearing animal do you have to pay the royalties?

BOOMSTICK
06-06-2006, 11:35 AM
Yep, definetly check with your taxidermist, and you will find a buyer. I've sold a few sheep capes, as I do Russian mounts on the heads, and don't need the capes. Youd be surprised what a Dall Sheep cape is worth in US $$$$. Sell one of those and your next hunt is paid for.:-D

Krico
06-06-2006, 03:21 PM
All this hype about selling a hide, when most people throw hides in the ditch from big game after they get their sausage??? Don't assume that it was shot just to be sold for the hide.

mainland hunter
06-06-2006, 03:40 PM
krico hit up taxidermy.net and go to forums. that's where tonnes of taxidermists from around the world look for capes. if it doesnt sell let me know. i might get the odd call for one.

Timbow
06-06-2006, 03:41 PM
Throwing hides in the ditch after making sausage is a lot different than selling a hide and throwing out the meat. Think about it!

bruno
06-06-2006, 03:50 PM
I don't see anything wrong with selling a hide. I think he is smart to sell it before spending a bunch of money to get it mounted or whatever if he doesn't want it. Everything is for sale.

moosecaller
06-06-2006, 06:10 PM
Hunting for profit? Why shoot it if you don't want it? What is the hunters motivation what assumption are readers to make or is that a personal thing? To each his own I guess. Everything does have its' price. Expect some hype; this is a public forum and everyone is entitled to his/her opinion.

huntwriter
06-06-2006, 06:49 PM
I agree with other hunters here. Ones you kill the animal it is yours to do with as you wish and what ever that might be is up to you. It is your property.

I see nothing wrong with selling fur or antlers. In fact I find that this is a good way to finance the, expensive, hunting hobby.

In the hunting synopsis are some ads that offer to buy antlers, trophies, fur and other animal parts. Plus many other resources already mentioned in this tread.

Good luck in selling and try to get a good price for it. Like everywhere else in the business world there are some scam artistes out there. Get first some information how much a G. bear fur sells for before you commit. ;)

youngfellla
06-06-2006, 10:01 PM
I see nothing wrong with selling fur or antlers. In fact I find that this is a good way to finance the, expensive, hunting hobby.

I agree. I cape out every deer I shoot, and some of the local taxidermists buy them (unless it is a big one that I want mounted:-D ) I've also sold a few black bear hides too, as I already have a couple nice ones on the wall. I use the money for hunting expenses, new gear, etc. Works well, and is better than leaving the hides to rot or sit in the shed for years:-D

Krico
06-06-2006, 11:17 PM
Thanks Mainland Hunter.
And for the record I too feel that animals I harvest are mine to do with as I please. I hunt because I enjoy the hunting. I like eating game meat. And if I want to sell the antlers or cape in addition to getting sausage made so I can afford to fix my truck or buy new gear or even just put gas in my truck to go hunting, I see nothing wrong with it.

Walksalot
06-07-2006, 05:45 AM
I totally agree that after the meat is utilized the rest of the animal is theirs to do with what they will. The thing is with Grizzly Bear is the meat is seldom utilized and just the hide and skull are taken.

Once the hunter deducts the cost of the expenses incurred while in pursuit of the bruin it can take a huge chunk out of the project funding derived from the sale of the hide.

If the hunter applied for an LEH Grizzly tag with the intent of selling the hide then I can't agree with this, I can't agree with this at all.

3kills
06-07-2006, 08:51 AM
how do u guys all know that he isnt usin the meat? by the sounds of it he is makin sausage...back off and just help krico get info for his buddy if u dont like the fact that he is sellin the hide then post another thread about....

bigwhiteys
06-07-2006, 08:54 AM
If the hunter applied for an LEH Grizzly tag with the intent of selling the hide then I can't agree with this, I can't agree with this at all.

This is merely the point I am trying to make. If the intent is to kill it and then sell it, WHY kill it? I was brought up with different hunting ethics then that.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

3kills
06-07-2006, 08:57 AM
how do u know he didnt use the meat???

bigwhiteys
06-07-2006, 09:11 AM
How do you know he did?

boxhitch
06-07-2006, 09:59 AM
So now someone is trying to cast a different light on Hunters, than they would on Trappers ?? Before 'sportsmanship' enterd the picture, bears were treated as fur bearing animals, nothing more (well, maybe 'Pests' ). If you don't agree, walk away.

bigwhiteys
06-07-2006, 10:03 AM
BoxHitch,

Trappers and Hunters require different licensing. If he was a trapper doing this for a living so be it.

Walking Away....

Carl

3kills
06-07-2006, 11:01 AM
How do you know he did?

go back and read his posts...it makes u think he did....and if thats not enought for u lets just ask him...

krico did ur buddy use the meat from the grizz???

Walksalot
06-07-2006, 04:19 PM
If you don't agree, walk away.[/QUO
A difference of opinion can be very constructive and have positive input into a conversation and perhaps, just perhaps, make a person rethink his/her position.

Krico
06-07-2006, 06:02 PM
He asked me to check if anyone was interested in buying it, so I did. I received a couple of good responses and mostly opinions on something unrelated which people are making a BIG assumption about. The rest is HIS business. I have stated my opinion and if he wishes to state his that is for HIM to do.

bruno
06-07-2006, 07:41 PM
What on earth is wrong with selling something that is rightfully yours it's not against the law. "To assume is to make an ass out of you and me".

slyfox
06-07-2006, 08:41 PM
Its his fur and if he can get good money for it good for him.

moosecaller
06-07-2006, 09:34 PM
Public forum if you don't like other peoples opinion don't open the door. Everyone is entitled to an opinion,just because you don't agree with them don't get all mad. You are the one who asked for input, you must have expected to cause some stir, not eveyone is of the same opinion. To eliminate assumptions you need to be very clear and precise in your requests and explainations. I do not believe anyone said he could not sell it, just questioned his original motivation.

PS, and as a side note I believe everyone was extremely civil and reserved with their responses, I was afraid of far more shots were going to be being taken with much bigger teeth.Good job by all.

Gateholio
06-08-2006, 10:47 AM
Public forum if you don't like other peoples opinion don't open the door. Everyone is entitled to an opinion,just because you don't agree with them don't get all mad. You are the one who asked for input, you must have expected to cause some stir, not eveyone is of the same opinion. To eliminate assumptions you need to be very clear and precise in your requests and explainations. I do not believe anyone said he could not sell it, just questioned his original motivation.

PS, and as a side note I believe everyone was extremely civil and reserved with their responses, I was afraid of far more shots were going to be being taken with much bigger teeth.Good job by all.

Actually, he didn't ask for anyones opinion on anything other than the value of the hide.

And as far as I know, a leglaly obained grizlzy bear hide is private property and selling your private property is noboys business but your own and the buyers.;)

bigwhiteys
06-08-2006, 11:27 AM
Actually,

When he posted this on a public forum he understood he was going to get opinions. Maybe not what he asked for but thats life.

I agree, selling your private property is nobody's business but your own.

I do not agree with drawing an LEH animal (our property) & killing it with the sole intentions of selling it afterwards. As a hunter it IS our business what people are doing with our game resources and how the general public could perceive us for them or us doing so.

A practice such as the above, (hunting to kill an LEH animal for the sole purpose of selling it afterwards) is in my eyes an abuse of the resource and is not much further from selling the gall bladder! (which is illegal) It's a pretty fine line IMHO. And definitely a fine line to an anti-hunter.

My problem here is with the killing of an LEH animal for the sole purpose of selling it to make a little profit. Selling Antlers & Capes from moose, deer, elk, etc... I don't have a problem with that as usually the entire animal has been utilized by the hunter taking and processing the meat.

I think we can all agree there are very few hunters among us who would shoot a Grizzly for the sole purpose of making some sausage when so much other "better eating" game is available.

As younger hunter, someone who will hopefully still be hunting while some of you are too old or long dead this is something I do in fact care about and the practice concerns me.

I just wanted to add, that I am not accusing anyone of anything. So don't get your shorts in a knot.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

MB_Boy
06-08-2006, 12:57 PM
Krico.....just tell your buddy to make sure he is aware of everything involved in selling.......you don't want to end up like this guy. ;) :-D

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2006/06/08/moose-head.html (http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2006/06/08/moose-head.html)

Not sure if grizzlies have a brewery to back them up.

moosecaller
06-08-2006, 12:59 PM
"Actually, he didn't ask for anyones opinion on anything other than the value of the hide."

I do not recall saying he asked for anyones' opinion! So what is your point of this comment? I said as mentioned above by bigwhiteys comment this is a public forum and people should expect some conflicting opinions as we are not all the same in ethics, morals or opinion. I also mentioned that a person should be clear and precise when making their comments/queries.

mainland hunter
06-08-2006, 01:07 PM
i doubt he'll fetch enough from the hide to cover the costs of the hunt or if so, it wont be a big profit, maybe he thought he was shooting a bigger bear and when he got up to it it was a touch smaller than what he wants. so he sells it and trys for the draw again

Stone Sheep Steve
06-08-2006, 01:10 PM
What's the difference between making sausage from a grizzly and making sausage from a black bear?? Most people throw out the hide from "sausage bears" which ,to me, seems like more of a waste than selling it. Just because it's a LEH draw doesn't make it any different. Some people who get drawn for LEH Island or West Koot elk shoot the first bull they see. Is that wrong just because it not everyone's else opinion??
This argument is starting to sound like baiting-no baiting or prochoice-prolife.

It's legal but it may not be what you would do. Don't push your values on someone else.

It's starting to sound like a pro-life arguement:roll: .

Would I do it?? Not likely, but I don't try to push my values on someone else, especially if something is legal.
We still don't know why he wants to sell the hide or what he did with the meat and I think it's better if we never find out.

SSS

Gateholio
06-08-2006, 01:16 PM
"Actually, he didn't ask for anyones opinion on anything other than the value of the hide."

I do not recall saying he asked for anyones' opinion! So what is your point of this comment? I said as mentioned above by bigwhiteys comment this is a public forum and people should expect some conflicting opinions as we are not all the same in ethics, morals or opinion. I also mentioned that a person should be clear and precise when making their comments/queries.

He very clearly and precisely asked for the value of a hide. He very clearly and precisely *did not* ask for input other than that. Your first post seem to infer that he was activley soliciting opinions form others on the practice of sellign the hide. (Although I suppose you were not) That was the point of the comment.;)

Edited to bold important sentence;) :p

Gateholio
06-08-2006, 01:17 PM
What's the difference between making sausage from a grizzly and making sausage from a black bear?? Most people throw out the hide from "sausage bears" which ,to me, seems like more of a waste than selling it. Just because it's a LEH draw doesn't make it any different. Some people who get drawn for LEH Island or West Koot elk shoot the first bull they see. Is that wrong just because it not everyone's else opinion??
This argument is starting to sound like baiting-no baiting or prochoice-prolife.

It's legal but it may not be what you would do. Don't push your values on someone else.

Would I do it?? Not likely, but I don't try to push my values on someone else, especially if something is legal.
We still don't know why he wants to sell the hide or what he did with the meat and I think it's better if we never find out.

SSS

Steve sums it up right there...:-D

GoatGuy
06-08-2006, 01:24 PM
What's the difference between making sausage from a grizzly and making sausage from a black bear??

SSS

Nothing, they taste the same. I've had grizz sausage and even had some grizz roast - pretty damn good considering it was bear.

Also seen grizz bears eating grizz bear carcasses.

Just thought I'd put those two concepts to bed as they come up from time to time on hunting forums.

3kills
06-08-2006, 02:11 PM
Actually,

When he posted this on a public forum he understood he was going to get opinions. Maybe not what he asked for but thats life.

I agree, selling your private property is nobody's business but your own.

I do not agree with drawing an LEH animal (our property) & killing it with the sole intentions of selling it afterwards. As a hunter it IS our business what people are doing with our game resources and how the general public could perceive us for them or us doing so.

A practice such as the above, (hunting to kill an LEH animal for the sole purpose of selling it afterwards) is in my eyes an abuse of the resource and is not much further from selling the gall bladder! (which is illegal) It's a pretty fine line IMHO. And definitely a fine line to an anti-hunter.

My problem here is with the killing of an LEH animal for the sole purpose of selling it to make a little profit. Selling Antlers & Capes from moose, deer, elk, etc... I don't have a problem with that as usually the entire animal has been utilized by the hunter taking and processing the meat.

I think we can all agree there are very few hunters among us who would shoot a Grizzly for the sole purpose of making some sausage when so much other "better eating" game is available.

As younger hunter, someone who will hopefully still be hunting while some of you are too old or long dead this is something I do in fact care about and the practice concerns me.

I just wanted to add, that I am not accusing anyone of anything. So don't get your shorts in a knot.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

u still dont know that he shot the grizzly with the sole purpose of sellin the hide....thats ur assumption....if i ever draw a grizz i might sell the hide who knows but i will also make sausage out of the meat....

moosecaller
06-08-2006, 04:32 PM
He very clearly and precisely asked for the value of a hide. He very clearly and precisely *did not* ask for input other than that. Your first post seem to infer that he was activley soliciting opinions form others on the practice of sellign the hide. (Although I suppose you were not?) That was the point of the comment.;)

My first post said "DELETE this one before it gets going!!! an ounce of prvention and all that...." Any one could see this type of post would get a wide range of comments on this topic.

How pray tell is this making any inference that he is soliciting opinions? Your point is not well received! Nor in any of my other posts did I suggest he was soliciting for opinions, I said this is a public forum and people are entitled to their opinions, I do not recall mentioning anything about the practice of hide sales? Your response has me at a loss.:shock:

wetcoaster
06-08-2006, 11:46 PM
Krico.......tell your buddy to check with taxidermists shops. Once its been inspected it's his to do with as he wants, and often the folks in the trade have contacts or know someone etc.
Or maybe check around on American sites that might be into buying it. (would have to check into the legal aspects of cross border???)

I don't mean to be a buzz kill here and hate all this bickering about right or wrong etc. but if the description in this post is accurate as to what is intended I believe the law states it is illegal.

The way I read the regulations it is not his to do whatever he wants with it once it is through the compulsory inspection if that includes selling it. The regulations state that permission must be attained and the proper royalties must be paid to the crown to sell sport hunted game. It is my understanding that someone not following the above rule is trading in wildlife parts for profit that were harvested recreationally. Your tag and hunting license don't give you a means to make some quick cash by selling an animal in part or in whole and I tend to agree with the rule. Like it or not someone doing the above is subject to the same fines as those selling paws or gall bladders or whatever other idiotic witchcraft people are using to try and make thier limp noodles stand up these days. If I am wrong or this is not how the regulations read let me know?

Krico
06-09-2006, 06:02 AM
Royalties are only a couple of dollars, and Grizzlies are not even on the list of fur bearing animals requiring royalty payments.

Hunter's Dad
06-09-2006, 07:11 AM
Westcoaster, I don't mean to be anything other than straight foreward , but you are wrong. He is fully able to sell his bear.

While we give our oppinions I hope we realize that there are many forms of hunting and reason's to hunt that many of us do not agree with. Some passionatly(sp?) disagreed with. However, we are all apart of a shrinking community whether we like it or not. A group the majority of people never will understand because they have not been able to experience the events that make us love what we do. Most people that hunt and then quit do so because of a negative event. Instead of slamming each other there are ways of expressing oppinion that might help educate or influence anothers way of thinking. I thought the question posted here was a simple one, others not so. In my oppinion the anti's are not going to be too bothered that the hide is sold as opposed to being hung on a hunter's own wall. Their problem lies with the harvest of the animal.

Let's cutt some slack here and share ideas not attck each other.

06-09-2006, 09:09 AM

It's good to see you are concerned about how our wildlife is managed and if you aren't already, you will join clubs and organizations which support hunting, much the same as alot of "older" hunters have, and hopefully you can help give future generations the same hunting opportunities that have been given you by past generations of hunters/conservationists.

As mentioned by Hunters Dad, we are part of shrinking community, and its alot more productive for us to concentrate on goals that benifit all hunters, rather then focus on ethical issues which by the beasties nature, tend to divide us.......

slyfox
06-09-2006, 09:21 AM
Shrinking community shit why cant i get a draw then.

06-09-2006, 10:59 AM
Draw numbers for alot species are declining too unfortunately:frown: ........

Stone Sheep Steve
06-09-2006, 12:27 PM
Plus it was mostly the guys that were not too into hunting that dropped out-the "fence sitters" if you will. They probably didn't faithfullly apply for LEH. How many of all you out there are about to give it up putting in for LEH or give up hunting? Probably not too many.

SSS

brotherjack
06-09-2006, 01:11 PM
Ok, all you who are up in arms about this - explain to me how come it's ok to shoot Coyotes with the sole purpose of selling the hide, but not griz? Or do you have a problem with that (also legal) activity too?

PM me if you like, no point in getting the public debate heated up again - I'm just really just honestly curious to know the logic here.

Thanks,

Walksalot
06-09-2006, 06:20 PM
Ok, all you who are up in arms about this - explain to me how come it's ok to shoot Coyotes with the sole purpose of selling the hide, but not griz? Or do you have a problem with that (also legal) activity too?

PM me if you like, no point in getting the public debate heated up again - I'm just really just honestly curious to know the logic here.

Thanks,

I think the difference is that the Grizzly Bears are the topic of so many threads relating to the arsonal of defence weapons needed to stem a charge. The stories told around the campfires rivel the goolies and ghosties and long leggedy beasties and the things that go bump in the night. In my opinion THEY are the utimate predator on the North American Continent.

huntwriter
06-09-2006, 07:06 PM
This has been an interesting tread to read and I am surprised how civil the discussion went so far.

It also has proven a point to me, which is that ethics are pretty much a very personal opinion of different hunters. That is a good thing, where it becomes a bad thing is if such opinions being pushed onto others, which has not happend here as much as I feared at the beginning.

What I believe is that the motivation to become a hunter, meat, trophy or just plain fun hunting and the use of the harvested animal have nothing to do with ethics or morals.That is how I see it. For as long as all hunting laws are obeyed. Yet at the same time I respect other opinions and "ethics" as long as they are not preached from a bandwagon.

Some made mention of giving animal rights "ammunition". Not really. Because animal rights do not care one way or another how we as hunters behave or what motivates us to hunt. The animal rights agenda is very clear. NO HUNTING Period.

Thunderstix
06-10-2006, 08:58 AM
When I get my Grizzly (if I am ever drawn), the meat will go to my buddy who loves it, the skull will go on my skull window ledge, and the hide will go up for sale as I cannot afford to mount it and refuse to take up half my freezer until I am able to afford it.

Thunderstix
06-10-2006, 09:04 AM

SSS

Hmm, and here I was thinking it was sounding like a pro-choice arguement.:roll:

Wolfman
06-11-2006, 11:24 AM
Hey all.

Speaking of Grizzlies - Does anyone have a bleached skull for sale?

Wolfman

wetcoaster
06-11-2006, 11:03 PM
Westcoaster, I don't mean to be anything other than straight foreward , but you are wrong. He is fully able to sell his bear.

While we give our oppinions I hope we realize that there are many forms of hunting and reason's to hunt that many of us do not agree with. Some passionatly(sp?) disagreed with. However, we are all apart of a shrinking community whether we like it or not. A group the majority of people never will understand because they have not been able to experience the events that make us love what we do. Most people that hunt and then quit do so because of a negative event. Instead of slamming each other there are ways of expressing oppinion that might help educate or influence anothers way of thinking. I thought the question posted here was a simple one, others not so. In my oppinion the anti's are not going to be too bothered that the hide is sold as opposed to being hung on a hunter's own wall. Their problem lies with the harvest of the animal.

Let's cutt some slack here and share ideas not attck each other.

Hunters Dad,

I was not attacking I was stating the way I read the regulations and invited anyone who was more in the know to let me know if I was reading them incorrectly so slow up a bit. I could care less either way sold or not regardless of my opinion. I happened to read the regs cover to cover as I always do before submitting my LEH's. I saw this royalties law and permission etc and it stuck in my head so I contributed what I believed to be the case as I read it. As far as the rest of your email I agree with what you have said regarding being informative etc so take your own advice, jump of the high horse and be a little more informative than YOUR WRONG. If you know the wildlife act at a more intimate level how about enlightening instead of attacking me and tell us what the legislation requires?

wetcoaster
06-12-2006, 03:32 PM
I don't mean to be a buzz kill here and hate all this bickering about right or wrong etc. but if the description in this post is accurate as to what is intended I believe the law states it is illegal.

The way I read the regulations it is not his to do whatever he wants with it once it is through the compulsory inspection if that includes selling it. The regulations state that permission must be attained and the proper royalties must be paid to the crown to sell sport hunted game. It is my understanding that someone not following the above rule is trading in wildlife parts for profit that were harvested recreationally. Your tag and hunting license don't give you a means to make some quick cash by selling an animal in part or in whole and I tend to agree with the rule. Like it or not someone doing the above is subject to the same fines as those selling paws or gall bladders or whatever other idiotic witchcraft people are using to try and make thier limp noodles stand up these days. If I am wrong or this is not how the regulations read let me know?

As some of you have pointed out I think I may have jumped the gun in my interpretation of the regs. When I am wrong I own up to it. I have read a little more carefully and found that galls and paws are covered under a seperate trafficking law since 1993 and hides are not mentioned.

the regs also state it is unlawfull to:

6. to traffic in dead wildlife or a part of
wildlife except when the wildlife was
lawfully killed in BC during an open
season under the Wildlife Act or lawfully
brought into BC, or when trafficking in
cast antlers or when the wildlife or part
of wildlife has been processed into a
product that no longer resembles the
original wildlife or part.

Therefore it looks legal to me although royalties still might have to be payed but as someone stated grizzlies are not listed in the schedule and black bears are only a few dollars. Therefore, ethics arguments aside, if its legal knock yourself out.