PDA

View Full Version : Hunting etiquette

AT&T
12-03-2010, 09:17 AM
I think alot of hunters need to work on social etiquette. It doesnt matter where you live, if your a local or not just be simply DECENT. If you see someone wave, mabye stop and say hello. I see too many people with such a hard on to shoot something it becomes a contest. He is in my spot, whats he doing here and so on. When you meet a truck or someone on foot Wave, say hello, it is not that hard. I dont have to share information on my fav spots nor do you but we are a fraternity of sorts and a shrinking one at that. The guy you are rude to might not help you getting unstuck when your burried up to the frame or need help with an animal etc. It feels better to get assistance when we need it. I am sure you would feel the same caught in a bit of a jam. It happens. If you are driving near the end of a dead end road and see a truck parked. Back up turn around. No need to drive in and mess up someone else chance. If you talk to someone who is new to the hunting game remember what is what like for you back in the day. I keep where I hunt big horns to myself but I if I see someone especially with a young hunter there is nothing wrong with suggesting a place to go or atleast words of encouragement. Some new hunters are so appreciative of assistance.

This macho "I want to get my animal" crap wont put meat in your freezer any faster than showing some respect for other people, especially local residents who live where you hunt. I live where I hunt and we get alot of non local hunters. The crown land belongs to all of us. Locals dont have any rights over others at all. Show some respect for private land and dont leave garbage when you leave camp.

I am not hacking on city hunters here. Some of the best hunters I have ever met are from the coast. It is not a local non local concern here. Just leave the honky tonk bullshit at home.

weatherby_man
12-03-2010, 09:24 AM
Agreed. A buddy and I helped out a couple of guys gut their first deer this year as they shot one close by to where my bud took one and we saw them as we came out. They had gut shot it and we spent a while with them explaining what they needed to do to get it done quickly and make sure the meat was good. We got in and dirty with them just after having cleaned up from ours. It was worth it, they were pumped but just needed a little guidance. I always give the friendly wave and nod when I see another hunter.

I am a firm believer that we have to stick together in this game.

greenhorn
12-03-2010, 09:25 AM
Nice post!

I'm not that old, but I'm old enough to remember when being polite and friendly was not only normal, but it was expected. These days, if you show some kindness to a person you don't know that person will likely think you're weird.

Good point on the helping out the really new hunters. I remember feeling totally clueless when I started and every little tidbit was huge for me. Who knows, the new hunter may learn that kindness helps and he/she will pay it forward...

Nice post!

AT&T
12-03-2010, 09:41 AM
Thanks guys. I remember well getting assistance wiht my first deer at 11 years old. Courtesy and politeness was the norm back then. Glad you helped out the guys with the gut shot deer. Cant ask much more than that.

sawmill
12-03-2010, 09:46 AM
Have we not had about 10 threads on this so far this season?

BigfishCanada
12-03-2010, 09:49 AM
I think the majority are nice, I wave and talk to every single other hunter i see, only a very few dont wave or say hi back. Last month we got to our moose spot at 8am, a guy walked out of the bush, and I did say to my self DAM he beat me to the spot, I told him that we will let him have his space, wished him good luck, and 20 minutes later we heard a shot. The luck SOB got a nice moose.

Common sense and respect goes a long way, ive invited many hunters I didnt know to join me around the fire and have a beer. Some of those guys are now friends!

Cheers!

whognu
12-03-2010, 10:03 AM
at+t

back in the day...........couldn't agree more

unfortunately i, for reasons that remain unknown, say hi to everyone

and funnily enough, most people are happy to see a smile and hello

and it is funny how things work out........in early october i am scouting out places to set up my tent and hunt and come across a fellow on a quad and a dog.....true to form i stop, turn off the truck and bs for 10 minutes asking about 'the lay of the land' - turns out he is local rancher and hunter and he shows me where to camp and more importantly where the public land is and isn't.......we come back in late oct and tag one of the bigger mule deer of my career

- on this same trip i am in the timber (bordering on lost as per usual) when i cut a skidder trail and another quad (with a different dog)and the fellow is looking for his last few lost doggies......i unload the gun and lean it against a tree and we start yacking about this and that......turns out he is another rancher who doesn't hunt yet "tolerates some of them" ..........turns out he has a big ranch which is unaccessible to anybody unless you drive through his front yard........offers me and the boys a standing invite to hunt the property.....nice

not an azz kisser; and likely have way too much time on my hands, yet life is way too short to miss out on these kind of interactions with our fellow man (and women of course)

ravensfoot
12-03-2010, 01:07 PM

There's probably been so much written on proper etiquette because there are still so many out there that just don't get it. I say beat this to death till everyone out there sharing the sport and countryside can all get along in a courteous manner. I practice it all the time in hopes that what goes around, comes around. If you ever see me in the bush i'm either waving at you or turning around so as not to disturb your hunt.

Gateholio
12-03-2010, 01:33 PM

Yes.

In fact, there is a whole thread dedicated to "WAVING" while driving:-D

12-03-2010, 01:35 PM
Yes.

In fact, there is a whole thread dedicated to "WAVING" while driving:-D

And 2 or 3 about driving / quadding by people walking on roads.

cariboobill
12-03-2010, 02:01 PM
And they say there are less hunters.....

Maybe less hunters, but more access by roads etc. seems like more hunters to me.

One concern I have, meeting hunters for the first time who have been drinking in the truck while hunting.

What do you do? Again this past season I saw more hunters doing this. They were residents from my local area, to report them would cause me grieve and untold harm. I live in a community of around 2000 people.

Good words!

CB

AT&T
12-03-2010, 03:48 PM
I do find it interesting that this thread has sparked little interest. No wonder me and my neighbors post our property.

Gateholio
12-03-2010, 03:52 PM
I do find it interesting that this thread has sparked little interest. No wonder me and my neighbors post our property.

Well, it's only a few hours old, and as mentioned- There have ben dozens of threads on the same topic recently.:-D

Gateholio
12-03-2010, 03:58 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=48714&highlight=etiquette

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=42421&highlight=etiquette

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=40203&highlight=road

Just a few of the many....:-D

AT&T
12-03-2010, 04:04 PM
And they say there are less hunters.....

Maybe less hunters, but more access by roads etc. seems like more hunters to me.

One concern I have, meeting hunters for the first time who have been drinking in the truck while hunting.

What do you do? Again this past season I saw more hunters doing this. They were residents from my local area, to report them would cause me grieve and untold harm. I live in a community of around 2000 people.

Good words!

CB I hear what you are saying Cariboobill. I live in a community of about 400. In a small community it is seldom worthwhile. It creates bad feelings for ever and dealing with that in a small community is problematic. Some locals will go for a road hunt with a beer between their legs. I guess if behavor is still intact then that is one thing. Most of this I see is from out of town crackers. If they seem dangerous call a C/O or the police. They will likely lose their right to carry firearms at the very least. Just nod and drive on. No point in getting into it when firearms are involved. Especially when drinking is a factor. My mom got hassled by a couple Vancouver hunters years ago when she was hunting. They really scared her alot. It got dealt with properly but so unfortunate it had to happen. It is imporant to remember that in early fall some (people) are out harvesting their crops. This is even more a concern. A big one!
Anyway it is always good to be freindly in the bush.

tristanmac
12-03-2010, 04:28 PM
Helped a hunter pull out a moose this year, took a full day away from my 6 day moose season but made a few friends along the way. cranker of a moose too.

magnumjeff
12-03-2010, 08:32 PM
if you don't have manners stay home.

hunter1947
12-04-2010, 03:27 AM
This leaves me out of the picture I have always been a person that will help others first before myself http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif.

last year I went into another hunters camp to interduce myself and now this young hunter hunts with me deeks1989.

If I did not stop in and say hi to him I might still not know him and his friends.

I always wave or stop if the other hunter stops there truck and talk to them.

I think I help out to much sometimes it can get you in trouble at times like this year being accused of illegal guiding because of friends coming and going :roll: H-47....