PDA

View Full Version : Which region?

Hunting/addict
12-02-2010, 10:45 PM
If you only had one region to hunt for big mulies which would it be?

mark
12-02-2010, 11:10 PM
If you only had one region to hunt for big mulies which would it be?

The region you live in!!!!! Every region has big bucks, hunt close to home and find the biggest buck on your mountain!

mark
12-02-2010, 11:12 PM
Oops...noticed you said mulies, so I guess regions 1+2 are out of the question....In that case concentrate on regions 3 or 8!

betteroffishing
12-02-2010, 11:15 PM
and of the two, go with 3

Jagermeister
12-02-2010, 11:16 PM
Region 8, Okanagan Mtn. Park. Probably the most under-rated area. Other good areas; Garnet Valley/Mt Arcland, Belgo Road, Greystokes, Ashnola, Venner Meadows just to name a few. Damm, a Jelvis moment. Sorry Jelvis.

Rusty Shackles
12-02-2010, 11:18 PM
Out skirts of 2 have some kicking around. But if you look hard enuff you can also see moose grizz goats and elk there, ive seen them all myself exept grizz,but my dad did in chilliwack river valley, O ya cougars on whatcom rd. even had a buddy tell me he thought he saw a sasquatch on the botom of the Coq. (rite SHAKER)

palmer
12-03-2010, 12:45 AM

shawnwells
12-03-2010, 12:48 AM
Region 5....love that empire valley...feel like Clint Eastwood walkin through that shit...

hunter1947
12-03-2010, 05:04 AM
Region 8-3.

knighthunter
12-03-2010, 10:23 AM
Have to be 5. I have seen monster's here several times during the summer .

cariboobill
12-03-2010, 02:04 PM
Region 1, lots of opportunity................:wink:

Cyrus
12-03-2010, 02:05 PM
from what I have seen on this site for pics 3 or 8.

mark
12-03-2010, 02:11 PM
What the heck...everyone forget about region 7b?????
Both the #1 mulie and whitey come from there!
The agricultural land, and the geographic's, puts it on par with alberta!!

MattB
12-03-2010, 07:20 PM
Doesn't matter which region. Regions 3 thru 8 all have big deer you just have to know where and when to look. I'd honestly think that region 4 has more big bucks than 3 or 8 as there is a lot more remote country. Region 6 is the same thing. A lot of people overlook the area out towards smithers. There may be fewer deer but that doesn't mean fewer big bucks!

leadpillproductions
12-03-2010, 07:38 PM
What the heck...everyone forget about region 7b?????
Both the #1 mulie and whitey come from there!
The agricultural land, and the geographic's, puts it on par with alberta!!
I didn't forget just keeping it shhhhhhhhhhhhh no deer here

.330 Dakota
12-03-2010, 07:50 PM
7 Peace area I have seen some crankers

cariboobill
12-03-2010, 07:51 PM
OK the truth, I really like Region 8 and 4 for good sized bucks. Region 3 and 5 have a lot of pressure as it is an easy drive from anywhere. They are there, but less each year. I had to change my late season spot this year due to pressure.

Mark is right, 7B is amazing place to hunt, just more private lands to deal with.

CB

dana
12-03-2010, 08:03 PM
Big Bucks are where you find them and you can find them in pretty much any unit in the Interior. The best place to see success is in your backyard. Way easier to put the time in to figure out the pieces to the puzzle we call Trophy Muleys in an area close by instead of one that is far away. Many wannabe's jump around the province chasing the latest and greatest big buck spot like the prospectors during the Cariboo Gold Rush. If a big buck was shot in a certain place, that means that big buck no longer lives there. You want to kill a big buck you need to find where one lives, not where one used to live.

leadpillproductions
12-03-2010, 08:05 PM
Big Bucks are where you find them and you can find them in pretty much any unit in the Interior. The best place to see success is in your backyard. Way easier to put the time in to figure out the pieces to the puzzle we call Trophy Muleys in an area close by instead of one that is far away. Many wannabe's jump around the province chasing the latest and greatest big buck spot like the prospectors during the Cariboo Gold Rush. If a big buck was shot in a certain place, that means that big buck no longer lives there. You want to kill a big buck you need to find where one lives, not where one used to live.
100% BEST ANSWER

cariboobill
12-03-2010, 08:14 PM

True true, but some Regions one deer is all you can shoot or the area has poor genetics. Therefore an expedition is always welcome to venture out of ones region.

Deadshot
12-03-2010, 08:14 PM
...feel like Clint Eastwood walkin through that shit...

And so you should, cause behind every tree, is either someone good, bad or in most cases, just plain UGLY!:-D

dana
12-03-2010, 08:22 PM
Cariboo bill,
IMO there are no areas in this province with 'poor genetics'. There are areas that get hunted heavily and the bucks in those areas tend to be younger because they can't seem to grow up into their genetics. I've found it's pretty easy to figure out these areas. Run into mass amounts of other hunters and you probably are hunting an area that doesn't hold many older age class bucks. Also pretty easy to then go to adjacent areas with poorer access and discover suddenly there are older age class bucks.:mrgreen:

blackbart
12-05-2010, 05:18 PM
Stay away from the areas that are technically "mule deer range", but in fact have fairly significant blacktail genetics. Anderson Lake, the Hurley / Bralorne, western Manning Park are a few examples - nice bucks for sure and some good country to hunt but unless I am mistaken you won't find too many record book entries.

One should really be paying attention to recent weather patterns around the province that vary by region - was it a harsh winter? A very dry summer? Recent fire history? etc. etc. etc.

GoatGuy
12-05-2010, 05:21 PM
Cariboo bill,
IMO there are no areas in this province with 'poor genetics'. There are areas that get hunted heavily and the bucks in those areas tend to be younger because they can't seem to grow up into their genetics. I've found it's pretty easy to figure out these areas. Run into mass amounts of other hunters and you probably are hunting an area that doesn't hold many older age class bucks. Also pretty easy to then go to adjacent areas with poorer access and discover suddenly there are older age class bucks.:mrgreen:

That's it, it's all about age. If you're looking for a 'big one' you're only looking for one, not 100.

dana
12-05-2010, 06:41 PM
"Once you have chosen an area, a total and complete commitment to your area will give you an extra edge. Hunt it for at least three to four years. Don't waver from your plan or get discouraged if you don't take a buck every year. Remember, you are looking for that buck that is one-in-500, and they don't grow on trees. He has five seasons under his belt and he's not dumb. When you continue to hunt the same area each year, you will eventually begin to understand where the mature bucks are during certain times of the year. This is the key which unlocks the secret to being successful in your area. It is much easier to hunt trophy bucks if you know where they will be during the hunt."
-Mike Eastman "Hunting High Country Mule Deer"

Mike is refering to 170+ class deer as being one-in-500. If you want to step up the game and kill 180, 190 or 200 inch deer, that one-in-number climbs expedentially. And the bigger the bucks typcially the more years they have under their belt, living in their own backyard, which they know very very well. When you live daily 24/7 365 a year with wolves, cougars, bears, eagles, wolverines and the such, you don't grow old by being stupid.