PDA

View Full Version : My "Brown" Bear ( Pics)

Maxx
06-05-2006, 04:03 PM
Here is my story,

Had to work until noon this past saturday, and had planned to explore some new country near Lyton that I had never been to before. I hit the #1 about 12:30 by myself, and rolled into a parking place off the gravel road by about 3:30. I unloaded the quad, and off I went to explore some roads , that mostly lead to logging slashes that were about 5 years old. It was a nice day, with few clouds in the sky, and the afternoon passed quickly without sighting of any bears, but a fair amount of scat. About 8:30 I returned to my truck and camper, and was pondering making some dinner for myself. As I stepped off my trusty Honda ATV, I spotted a young bull moose walking down the road, 50 yards from my truck. I has some fun with him calling and such, and he took off after a few minutes,

This made me question myself about being lazy and hungry and not hunting until dark. I reloaded up on the quad ( without my camera, duh!) and proceeded up a road that I had never been on. It was typical glass the slashes area on the main road that climbed quite quickly. As I stopped for the 3rd time to glass, with my naked eye, I could see what I thought was a bear in a slash about 1km uphill. Sure enough, when I raised the binoculars, it was a bear feeding on the edge of a slash,

I carried on upon the main line for 100 yards, and took the next spur line. I went about 500 yards up the yard, and then dismounted, got my rifle and gear, and started to walk. The road climed uphill, and had a sharp corner ahead of me. When I turned the corner, the bear came into view about 200 yards parallel to the road. I was in plain view, but the wind was coming from the top of the mountain to the bottom. I "snuck" up the road 100 yards, and sat down to glass him ( or her) It was a beautifull light brown bear, and it was contenty feeding uphill. Light was starting to fade, so I knew that making a decision would need to happen soon. It's ear's were smallish looking, and for the next 10 minutes I pondered taking a beautifull coated bear that be only 5 feet tall. I decided not to shoot, but as I continued to watch, the bear heard a noise downhill from it, and turned and sat down, all the while looking downhill. She spooked shortly after, and I knew something was going to happen,

Maxx
06-05-2006, 04:14 PM
I was in good position to see the whole slash, but there was thick bush next to the slash where the female took off into. In about 30 seconds, from the downhill area of the slash, I saw another (or was it) brown bear emmerge. What happened next took only 15 seconds- The bear "waddled" out, and I thought to myself " this cannot be the same brown?? Or can it?" Then, I looked at the ears, and knew this was a big bear! As I did this, he was sniffing the ground, and looking up hill. I was worried that he was going to take off in the thick bush, as the sow did, so I slipped behind my browning 300 WSM, and readied myself. The Boar then stood up, and grabbed at some branches above him, this was the moment I realized he was truly big. Again, all this happened in 15 seconds,

As soon as the bear returned to all 4's, I let the 165 Interbond go, and the bear dropped, and rolled once. He did not move, but fearing that he would rise, and go for the thick bush, I hit him again. He was down for the count. Not having my camera dawned on me the minute he was down, so after watching him for 5 minutes, I ran to the Honda, and back to the truck for the camera. When I returned, it was still somewhat light. I climbed down the slash to the bear, and BOY was I happy! I had to rush to take the pics ( sorry for the quality, I only had the old film camera),

So after the pics were done, now the work began. I had my Pikka headlamp, with fresh batteries, and away I went. About 5 minutes into the process, I heard some noise at the bottom of the slash, about 50 yards away. I looked up to see the same Sow returning, she was slowly walking uphill towards me. Not a good sight when you are by yourself, it is almost dark and you have a dead bear down! I yelled, and she spooked thank goodness,

It took 3 hours to process everythjing, and carry it uphill the 500 yards to the quad, a long but satisfying night,

He measured 6' 10", and he has not rubs at all. He has some old, and new wounds to his face, but that is character!

Sorry for the long story, I probably missed something!

http://www.hunt101.com/img/411497.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/img/411500.jpg
http://www.hunt101.com/img/411496.jpg

NEEHAMA
06-05-2006, 04:25 PM
WOW VERY NICE! that's a tough one to beat my friend. nice work.

Gateholio
06-05-2006, 04:26 PM
Congrats, make sure you enter the HBC bear contest!:cool:

Iron-Head
06-05-2006, 04:28 PM
Holy crap man thats a freakin beauty!!! Congrats on what sounds like an amazing hunt!!

BOOMSTICK
06-05-2006, 05:10 PM
Truly impressive bear. He's a HAWG. How much do you figure he weighed? Skull measurement?

Congrats man. Hard to beat a bear that size, especially that color!:D

Timbow
06-05-2006, 05:42 PM
Congradulations on a very nice looking bear! It's nice to see large brownie.

CanAm500
06-05-2006, 05:43 PM
nice bear!!!

cowboy-up69
06-05-2006, 05:56 PM
That bear is huge!! Congrats man! :D

ursus
06-05-2006, 07:06 PM
Congrats on fine boar. It sure looks like the rut is in full swing!

bsa30-06
06-05-2006, 07:10 PM
maxx your pm's are full. Where abouts are you located?Pm me when you have made some room.

Rookie
06-05-2006, 07:12 PM
WOW! That`s one fine lookin bear.Congrats,I`m hoping for a brownie myself.

Will
06-05-2006, 07:23 PM
That's a Great Bear in any Colour...but especially nice being he's a Brown Phase:cool:
Congrats:-D

bigwhiteys
06-05-2006, 07:46 PM
Awesome Bear Man!

That must have been a chore all by yourself.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

goathead
06-05-2006, 07:52 PM
Man that is A nice bear,I wish we had that colour phase on the island.

Maxx
06-05-2006, 08:11 PM
[quote=BOOMSTICK]Truly impressive bear. He's a HAWG. How much do you figure he weighed? Skull measurement?

Congrats man. Hard to beat a bear that size, especially that color!:D

I have no idea what it weighed, nor the size of the melon yet. I will keep you updated,

Bigwhitey- YES, it was a chore by myself, that is for sure. OH well, it was worth it!:-D

TGF
06-05-2006, 08:42 PM
Very nice brownie. Looking forward to finding out the measurements if possible.

elkster
06-05-2006, 11:18 PM
Way to go! beauty bear. Man you musta been tired after that pack, but I'd say it was well worth it.

Barracuda
06-05-2006, 11:33 PM
that is a fantastic bear and brown to boot.
very well done

Thunderstix
06-06-2006, 06:26 AM
That really is one nice looking bear!

death-junky
06-06-2006, 07:26 AM
sweet bear I love em when they get that color faze.
ttyal
Riley

BlacktailStalker
06-06-2006, 09:47 AM
I think your bear would have eaten mine, sweet!

Elkhound
06-06-2006, 11:02 AM
Beautiful bear. Nice job

BOOMSTICK
06-06-2006, 11:41 AM
Hey all, why don't we play a llittle guessing game as to how big the skull goes before he posts it?:-D

I'd give him around 20 4/16''.

Maxx
08-09-2006, 06:24 PM
WEll, I got him scored by an official BC book measurer today- BOOMSTICK- it is amazing but you guessed exactly correct,

After the 60 day drying period,He scored 20 2/8 , I am very happy,

youngfellla
08-09-2006, 06:58 PM
Maxx - that old fart (BOOMSTICK) can look at almost any animal and tell you what it'll score within fractions of an inch. :cool: He did the same with a couple big muley bucks of mine and a big bull moose.

Guess he's been a guide long enough it's pretty easy for him8-)

Congrats on a record book bear!

Elkhound
08-10-2006, 10:07 AM
Congrats man....we knew he was a big one.....I hope to find one just like him sometime

ursus
08-10-2006, 12:08 PM
Wow that is awesome for a mainland bear! That even qualifies for an award from Boone & Crockett. Well done!

FlyingHigh
08-15-2006, 06:32 PM
BEAUTY bear!!! wish i had the chance to go after on of them hawgs!!!!