PDA

View Full Version : Going for Bison Starting Jan 1st anyone else?

wccougar
12-02-2010, 10:10 AM
We have 2 draws for zone A:-D just wondering if anyone else was hunting for bison at the same time? We are staying at pink mt. motor inn and lookimg forward to the hunt. I hear we need more snow! This is are first time hunting the buff. and hunting in the pink mt area. One of the other members mentioned the horses at the ranch where you park your truck, licking and chewing their truck to get the salt and ruined the paint. I laugh for a second and then remembered I have to park there and I just got a new paint job on my truck last week:confused: This will be an adventure!!

partner
12-02-2010, 11:07 AM
We are going to be there on the 3rd.

Whisky Creek
12-02-2010, 12:35 PM
wccougar:

That was our group that had the horse vandals eat the paint. If you have nice (new smelling) paint and new plastic trim I'd bring a tarp and blocks of wood or tie straps to cover it while you are in the bush, OR, drive it through the ranch and park it beyond the gate where the horses can't get to. My buddy took his new truck in to ICBC and they did an estimate of $4600 damage to the paint, trim and bumper mouldings!!!!!
OR, bring a box of Canadian Tire "cheap" shells and get rid of the horses when you get there. I talked to Vern and told him my buddy would be calling him about it. We paid $500 to access the ranch road ($175 per tag holder and $75 each for the accompanying two guys) and I suggested to Vern that it might make good business to return that $500 to the guy that got his truck chewed to shit in order to cover his insurance deductible. He claimed that they were "Randy's horses" and not the bands so they weren't his issue. Regardless of who the horses belong to, I'm thinking that if you paid good money to park on someone's private property, you should be able to have some expectation that you're vehicle would be there and intact when you came out. If they ain't your horses, then get rid of them or shoot the flea bitten nags, so your customers are looked after...
My buddy is still waiting for Vern to return his calls.....

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
12-02-2010, 01:01 PM
wccougar:

That was our group that had the horse vandals eat the paint. If you have nice (new smelling) paint and new plastic trim I'd bring a tarp and blocks of wood or tie straps to cover it while you are in the bush, OR, drive it through the ranch and park it beyond the gate where the horses can't get to. My buddy took his new truck in to ICBC and they did an estimate of $4600 damage to the paint, trim and bumper mouldings!!!!!
OR, bring a box of Canadian Tire "cheap" shells and get rid of the horses when you get there. I talked to Vern and told him my buddy would be calling him about it. We paid $500 to access the ranch road ($175 per tag holder and $75 each for the accompanying two guys) and I suggested to Vern that it might make good business to return that $500 to the guy that got his truck chewed to shit in order to cover his insurance deductible. He claimed that they were "Randy's horses" and not the bands so they weren't his issue. Regardless of who the horses belong to, I'm thinking that if you paid good money to park on someone's private property, you should be able to have some expectation that you're vehicle would be there and intact when you came out. If they ain't your horses, then get rid of them or shoot the flea bitten nags, so your customers are looked after...
My buddy is still waiting for Vern to return his calls.....

holy shit Clint 4600$ that's allot of chewing i hope Vern calls but i don't think it will happen...remember i was telling you the same thing happen to my old boss ...LOL it was your cuz paw325... to funny your right small world!!!

hunterlaura
12-02-2010, 03:41 PM
We never had a problem with the horses when we were there at the end of October, they just walked all over around the cabins with their bells on and it was kind of soothing at night :) Bring a couple square bales and they should leave your trucks alone! I think they just paw all winter in there. Maybe they're a little hungry!

shawnwells
12-02-2010, 05:27 PM
wish we were going then instead of on sunday...because of snow...it did snow like 3/4 of an inch today in fort st john...

Whisky Creek
12-02-2010, 05:42 PM
They were on it for the road salt Laura. The one enterprising bugger found out plastic and paint was good too. 2 of the 3 trucks were 5 years old and only had the body panels licked free of salt.
Cougar, as well as avoidance and exposure measures, maybe try a peace offering. Go to your local feed store and drop $10 bucks on a 50 lb block of blue cobalt stock salt or $13 bucks on a 50 lb selenium block, and then leave it 200 feet AWAY from your truck. They are likely really lacking in salt and mineral and it would be sure to hold em off for a week or so.
OR, spin the wheel......

shawnwells
12-02-2010, 06:44 PM
They were on it for the road salt Laura. The one enterprising bugger found out plastic and paint was good too. 2 of the 3 trucks were 5 years old and only had the body panels licked free of salt.
Cougar, as well as avoidance and exposure measures, maybe try a peace offering. Go to your local feed store and drop $10 bucks on a 50 lb block of blue cobalt stock salt or $13 bucks on a 50 lb selenium block, and then leave it 200 feet AWAY from your truck. They are likely really lacking in salt and mineral and it would be sure to hold em off for a week or so.
OR, spin the wheel......
or ill make that *******o pay by riding him in for tatanka if she dont snow soon ha ha...

wccougar
12-02-2010, 07:58 PM
You know the salt blocks sound like the cheapest route I think I will pick some up. Is there anymore snow happening at pink mt. Does anyone know if hunters are getting their buffalo. When are you leaving shawn? Keep us up dated and good luck on the hunt and the truck!!! haha

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
12-02-2010, 08:03 PM
a couple guys gt there bison today and still waiting for 2 more guys to come in... keeping my fingers crossed:) and snowing a bit...

bridger
12-02-2010, 08:12 PM
horses are always a problem around trucks or horse trailers. one thing you could do is ask vern to park your trucks in the corral and close the gate. bison are bad for chewing as well. they ate the vinyl top of my buddies car a few years back.

Mik
12-02-2010, 08:50 PM
Would the horses be a problem? If one was to park somewhere else? Or camp at Pink Mtn.motor inn? And then snowmobile in?

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
12-02-2010, 08:58 PM
last group just came in BISON DOWN!!!

Mik
12-02-2010, 09:14 PM
Lookin fwd to comin up there,respectfully, Jamie. We would be camping in a wall tent. Thanks and I'm quite sure would stop by for a hot meal n to say helllo!

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
12-02-2010, 09:22 PM
Lookin fwd to comin up there,respectfully, Jamie. We would be camping in a wall tent. Thanks and I'm quite sure would stop by for a hot meal n to say helllo!

NO PROBLEM JUST SHOOT YOUR BISON:mrgreen:

Mik
12-02-2010, 09:33 PM
NO PROBLEM JUST SHOOT YOUR BISON:mrgreen:

Thanks Jamie,believe it or not, that Means a lot to me! I mean that I love to have a camp that is fully self sufficient, and being up north, that alone could bring problems. Knowing this, it always great to have a fall back plan! Even though it is at your expense! Thanks for being there! Mike

steelhead
12-02-2010, 09:35 PM

asurebet
12-02-2010, 11:15 PM
Heading off for Pink mtn. tomorrow, i see we need some more snow, If not not then will have to use the quad! Time for bed as it will be a long day.

M.Dean
12-02-2010, 11:21 PM
SheepElkMoose, is there still showers at the store? I remember on most trips up dropping in and having a hot shower, it was 2 bucks I think and well worth it!

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
12-03-2010, 04:55 AM
SheepElkMoose, is there still showers at the store? I remember on most trips up dropping in and having a hot shower, it was 2 bucks I think and well worth it!

YA still there, think its 5 bucks now..

Iltasyuko
12-04-2010, 02:18 PM
Is "The Ranch" everyone refers to which has the access fee and cabins - Tomter Ranch ?

farside
12-05-2010, 09:23 AM
Hey, was an island guy named Murray in one of those groups SEM fanatic?

wccougar
12-05-2010, 09:21 PM
Does anyone know where you pay the access fee, can you pay where you park the trucks or do you have to repay ahead. Anymore snow yet in pink mt area?? Gettin excited about the buff hunt. Good to hear the boys seem to be gettin their buff.:wink:

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
12-06-2010, 05:34 AM
Does anyone know where you pay the access fee, can you pay where you park the trucks or do you have to repay ahead. Anymore snow yet in pink mt area?? Gettin excited about the buff hunt. Good to hear the boys seem to be gettin their buff.:wink:

pay vern at the ranch where you park your truck...still not much snow:-|

partner
12-06-2010, 12:02 PM
Jamie Did Dave and his buddy get a buffalo?

Whisky Creek
12-08-2010, 12:11 AM
Looks like the Bison bioys are getting snow up in there today....
A decent amount in forecast for tonight.
Might not have to replace sliders just yet!
CLINT

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
12-08-2010, 07:11 AM
Jamie Did Dave and his buddy get a buffalo?
yep they got a nice bison good guys

hunterlaura
12-08-2010, 02:45 PM

When you drive through the gates and you get to the big lodge on the right, you pay the guy there. Then you can carry on through to the cabins and the trails. Not sure who this Vern guy is, it was a guy named Stan when we were there, AKA "Guy"..he was awesome!

squeege
12-10-2010, 06:36 PM
yep they got a nice bison good guys

Hi Jaime,

My wife has a bison draw for zone A and I have a spot picked out but I dont want to pack a tent and such to where I want to go. I know there is a cabin in the area and want to see if you know who owns it so I can get permission to stay in it.

partner
12-10-2010, 07:09 PM
squeege u talking about the horse camp cabin along the trail or Tomters cabin before the ranch?

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
12-10-2010, 07:28 PM
Hi Jaime,

My wife has a bison draw for zone A and I have a spot picked out but I dont want to pack a tent and such to where I want to go. I know there is a cabin in the area and want to see if you know who owns it so I can get permission to stay in it.

blueberry natives own it all except the trappers cabin 10-15 km in and he lives on the 132 road think his last name is Davis but not sure...:confused:

shawnwells
12-10-2010, 08:32 PM
snows getting better 3 went down when we were in there...rocks are starting to disappear...bring all your stuff to keep your machines together and your vehicles running...bison down tho..didnt punch one tag...real heartbreaker.

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
12-10-2010, 08:49 PM
snows getting better 3 went down when we were in there...rocks are starting to disappear...bring all your stuff to keep your machines together and your vehicles running...bison down tho..didnt punch one tag...real heartbreaker.

that sucks Shawn is there anyone still in there?

shawnwells
12-10-2010, 11:32 PM
that sucks Shawn is there anyone still in there?
thanks for caring man...theres one guy stayin at verns on a quad with tracks and some sled tracks from a guy we couldnt figure out who it was....camps are all pulled as far as we know...we put a stalk on a heard yesterday...and we peeled layers yesterday to get on em...but they moved to high heaven...and it became impossible to pack out...its a tough hunt...theyre pushed up...i have learned a lot...had crippling equipment failure and it took us til 2 pm to get our vehicle running to actually leave the valley....it was very tough...another day i'll punch...

cas-has-cars
12-11-2010, 01:41 AM
We got our bull on the 7th and 3 bison were taken that day from what I could tell. I will post the story and pictures within a week. Just got home and I'm beat. This was a tough hunt with big rewards.
Thanks for the talk Jamie and the burgers you were a wealth of information. It was nice to meet many of the HBC guys and thanks to the member who loaned me his googles so I could ride out in the freezing rain to retrive our remaining meat left in the bush. I hope everyone gets home safe the roads were in rough shape on our ride home Thursday.
Thanks Shawn for letting us know about the herd your brother and sister in law cought up with. We never did see them but our bull was a lone bull in its prime just 1.5 km form where they tagged theirs. Hope you still get yours Shawn.
cashascars

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
12-11-2010, 05:20 AM
We got our bull on the 7th and 3 bison were taken that day from what I could tell. I will post the story and pictures within a week. Just got home and I'm beat. This was a tough hunt with big rewards.
Thanks for the talk Jamie and the burgers you were a wealth of information. It was nice to meet many of the HBC guys and thanks to the member who loaned me his googles so I could ride out in the freezing rain to retrive our remaining meat left in the bush. I hope everyone gets home safe the roads were in rough shape on our ride home Thursday.
Thanks Shawn for letting us know about the herd your brother and sister in law cought up with. We never did see them but our bull was a lone bull in its prime just 1.5 km form where they tagged theirs. Hope you still get yours Shawn.
cashascars
congrats to all the HBC'ERS that got there bison on this hunt ...lots of good stories of guys helping each other out...it was cool to meet everyone!! :-D

hunterlaura
12-11-2010, 09:10 AM
all the horse camp cabins had no doors when we were there? Just drive to the blueberry native band ranch and ask/pay permission to stay in their cabins. big log lodge on the right.

ufishifish2
12-11-2010, 04:59 PM
Thanks Shaun and Cas-has-cars. It's nice to hear how you guys did.

asurebet
12-11-2010, 06:29 PM
We also just returned from our hunt. I did manage to connect on a nice mature cow, story and pictures to follow soon as i need to download. And once again thankyou Jamie for everything you did, you are a wealth of valuable information!