PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly Bear Hunting?

AT&T
12-02-2010, 07:59 AM
I would like some feed back on this. I come from generations of hunters on the same land since 1906. I love to hunt and cheriss the opportunity to be out and fill my freezer with good meat. We have a fare amount of Grizzlies on our place in the spring. We watch them from the house and walking in the fields it is common to stare at each other from a few hundred feet away. I have mixed feeling myself about shooting one. A lot of hunters I have talked to in confidence that are locals feel like I do. They dont want to see the season closed but dont really have a hard on to shoot one. Lets me completely honest here. A lot of guys are scared of bears, sometimes especially bear hunters. Those hunting shows where you see a guy in a tree stand on a guided hunt for black bears while he shakes, trembles is so dumb to me. Grizzlies are magnificant animals. I love to watch them. In my humble opinon shooting a grizzly that is up to his eyes in grass or lupins munching away is (NOT) a contest. One well placed shot and he is done. If in a bad situation I cannot think of anything worse than a grizzly conflict.

How many of you would rather see them than shoot them? I am not discussing closing any season. I am apposed to that. Especially when some city idiot tells me I cant. But honestly after spending alot of time in the bush it seems most hunters dont care to kill one anyway.

Comments

Devilbear
12-02-2010, 08:10 AM
I feel exactly as you do and always have, since long before I started hunting in 1964. I spent a lot of my working life in remote wilderness locations, often alone for months at a time and never felt threatened by Grizzlies.

I also backpack camped for many years and in some of BC's wildest places, usually without carrying a gun, still do and am not overly concerned about bear problems.

I think that hunting is the only realistic way of controlling Grizzly population numbers and thus will support it.

AT&T
12-02-2010, 08:20 AM
Thanks for your reply. Nice to hear the same sentiment. Strangely enough most of the seasoned hunters I know have agreed with me when I brought up the subject. I have had more trouble with young black bears than Grizzlies. I wont tolerate a smart ass aggressive black bear.

Ozone
12-02-2010, 08:29 AM
Being a meat hunter, I have no desire to shoot a grizzly. For those that want to though, fill your boots, just not my thing.

.330 Dakota
12-02-2010, 08:46 AM
Thanks for your reply. Nice to hear the same sentiment. Strangely enough most of the seasoned hunters I know have agreed with me when I brought up the subject. I have had more trouble with young black bears than Grizzlies. I wont tolerate a smart ass aggressive black bear.

So true. I have been on 2 trips for Grizz and have not harvested one yet.
The bears I have seen were not yet at the size I am looking for.
During these hunts I have encountered aproximately 8 grizzlies and all of them turned and ran the moment they saw me. I had 1 hesitate and watch me for a minute and then go. Also saw about 20-30 blacks on the same hunts and had at least 6 aggressive blacks that I had to watch carefully, but didnt need to shoot any.
It's all about having the guts and mental strength not to shoot out of fear. If you dont have the balls to ethically back away then you are not, and should not be a bear hunter.

troutseeker
12-02-2010, 08:54 AM
I enjoy seeing them and I hope to have the opportunity to shoot one in the near future. I don't see anything wrong with hunting grizzly's.

And I would really like to get one of those "spirit bears" they would make good sausage and a great mount. Maybe some day one will charge me in the bush and I'll have to defend myself.

Gateholio
12-02-2010, 09:00 AM
Only reason I haven't shot a grizzly yet is because I haven't found one I wanted to shoot yet! It seems only only see the big ones when I don't have a tag!:-D

If you don't feel the desire to shoot a grizzly, a goat, a ram, a coyote etc etc, then don't do it. Simple as that.

35 Whelen
12-02-2010, 09:02 AM
Getting the shakes is not a sign of being scared ...it is the adrenalin dump you experience. Ever been in a near miss car accident, or the actual thing. It's the adrenalin kicking in....it's what gives us incredible speed and strength for fight or flight.

Like shooting a great trophy...all calm and pull off a great shot. Only to breath like you just ran 10 sets of stairs when it is over....Adrenalin.

Devilbear
12-02-2010, 09:03 AM
Nah, even the biggest, baddest Grizzlies are scared shitless of the mighty Gates, pink tutu, deadly spear and all!!!

Stone Sheep Steve
12-02-2010, 09:30 AM
How many of you would rather see them than shoot them?

Comments

There are more than enough bears for viewing and hunting. Funny that most people against hunting them fail to realize this:?.

Viewing grizzlies when I'm hunting them is part....well.... actually.... MOST of the fun.

SSS

pete_k
12-02-2010, 09:43 AM
According to a two part write up in Outdoor Edge by Giest.
The number one kill zone in North America for Grizz and Blackies are Banff and Lake Louise. Mostly because the animals are habituated to the thousands of tourists stopping, taking pics, camping, hiking etc.

On the other hand. IMO his article was very opinionated, heavily biased and included sarcasm and did not list any references to the facts he quoted. I found it to be unprofessional although some good points were made.

Camp Cook
12-02-2010, 10:51 AM
I totally support grizzly hunting and I apply almost every year for an LEH grizzly tag the main reason I apply is because up until last year I was working full time as a self employed free miner and felt that if I had to shoot one in defense I would like to be able to keep the hide or if I came across a trophy of a lifetime I would take it.

I have passed on so many grizzlies now I used to see dozens a year but have only shot one...

The ones that had gotten to close for comfort I would fire a shot or two to scare them off the others were just not big enough for me to take.

Here is a pic of the one I shot June 1 2008 it is hanging on the wall @ Wholesale Sports in Langley I do not have a wall/floor big enough for it... :mrgreen:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/506/medium/img_9318.jpg

BCrams
12-02-2010, 11:24 AM
Viewing grizzlies when I'm hunting them is part....well.... actually.... MOST of the fun.

SSS

Always enjoyable and fun watching grizzlies on a hunt!

Ron.C
12-02-2010, 11:26 AM
I've applied for a Griz tag the past couple years and will continue to do so. Just something I want to try. And I think it would be a thrill to hunt Griz with a bow. Just need to find a partner who feels the same:roll:

safarichris
12-02-2010, 12:25 PM
Age tends to mellow a person. Now, I am happy to just watch them in the wild.

Stone Sheep Steve
12-02-2010, 12:36 PM
Always enjoyable and fun watching grizzlies on a hunt!

I wasn't referring to the charging grizzlies:wink:. Those are a little more "exciting" than "fun".:mrgreen:

SSS

snareman1234
12-02-2010, 12:37 PM
I'm with yea man, I have no desire to kill one.

No problem at all with those that do though either,

But even though I was a trapper, I would have a hard time killing, then skinning and leaving such a huge animal.

When I trapped it was for the fur, so it could be used as clothing, but something about leaving thousands of pounds of top notch carnivore to rot doesn't seem right to me.

But that being said, there are lots of them, and lots of guys live for the oppurtunity so more power to them

Stone Sheep Steve
12-02-2010, 12:42 PM
I'm with yea man, I have no desire to kill one.

No problem at all with those that do though either,

But even though I was a trapper, I would have a hard time killing, then skinning and leaving such a huge animal.

When I trapped it was for the fur, so it could be used as clothing, but something about leaving thousands of pounds of top notch carnivore to rot doesn't seem right to me.

But that being said, there are lots of them, and lots of guys live for the oppurtunity so more power to them

So why not pack out the meat? You'd be hard-pressed to tell the difference in meat between a spring grizz and a spring blackie....unless they were into something rotten....which can happen to both species.

The main problem with not hunting them is that will lose their "value"...and will become problematic. There is only so much "prime" grizzly habitat and smaller bears will be forced into the marginal areas. CO's end up dealing with a lot of these bears.

SSS

Rackmastr
12-02-2010, 12:59 PM
I can truly only hope that I get to move to BC one day and enjoy a grizzly hunt. They are one of the most awesome animals in Canada and I would love to hunt them one day. I've been on a few hunts as a guide for grizz and the desire to do a hunt one day would be too awesome.

I think grizz and Stone's sheep are two of the best thing BC has going for it! Oh, and goats, caribou, Dalls, lol

BiG Boar
12-02-2010, 01:13 PM
The number one animal that got me into hunting was the thought of taking down a big grizzly. Even though the black bear is a formidable creature there is some kind of awe about a 10 foot grizzly. Conquoring fear is one of the greatest accomplishments of a man in my books. Maybe your afraid of heights or spiders or snakes or flying. However now that I have been on three grizzly hunts and spent time watching them and living where they live I no longer see them with fear in my veins. Now I look at them with the greatest respect and want to take one for a full mount because I think they are absolutely majestic. That is my honest reason. You may not want one in your house stuffed, but for me it represents one of the hardest hunts in BC, and for me a long time personal challenge. I'm not talking about an average grizz, I've passed on many of them. I'm talking about the king of beasts in north America.

Mik
12-02-2010, 01:19 PM
This is a great post, with great responses. Grizzly Bears are a magnificent animal and yes, they are great to watch. I have talked with many hunters and they too have said that with age they tend not to want to shoot one. Respectfully, if you apply for a tag, then why not fill it? If you have no desire to shoot one then, give the opportunity to those that would well, "kill to have one", I mean that iswhy we have LEH, to try and somewhat to control the population? Is it not? Anyways, I would not hesitate to take one, in fact, i did this year:)

gutpile
12-02-2010, 02:42 PM
It,s my desire to take a grizzly one day, anyone care to join me on a grizzly hunt ?

AT&T
12-02-2010, 03:08 PM
It,s my desire to take a grizzly one day, anyone care to join me on a grizzly hunt ?

I wouldnt pick just anybody to hunt Grizzlies with. I know that much for sure. Especially when it gets dark and you have a wounded bear in the thick shit.

wolverine
12-02-2010, 03:52 PM
I have experienced Grizzly up close and personal and I have also experienced blackies the same way. The one event that scared the shit out of me was sooo close that I still can't believe I am here today but ... that Grizzly let me go and if there were the man eating monsters that they are made out to be it would have been all over because he owned me. Black bear have caused me way more issues than Grizzly. I have taken lots of blackies but never put in for a Griz. I have eaten Griz however and I don't understand why it is so widely believed that they are inedible. The roasts and steaks I had were fine. A little courser meat but nothing at all wrong with it and if I ever do take one I would certainly pack the meat out. I have a lot of respect for those animals. They are magnificent and majestic creatures. I can honestly say I have no plans on taking one but support the hunt 100% as numbers need to be controlled.

eastkoothunter
12-02-2010, 03:59 PM
If the LEH gods ever grant me a grizzly bear draw I will be more then happy to try and get one. I really enjoy taking pictures and video of them but if the time came I would have no problem trying to take one down.

Gateholio
12-02-2010, 04:36 PM
I wouldnt pick just anybody to hunt Grizzlies with. I know that much for sure. Especially when it gets dark and you have a wounded bear in the thick shit.

No kidding.:mrgreen:

Don't want a partner that will shit and/or piss himself and jam his rifle during a charge, either...:-D

Barracuda
12-02-2010, 04:53 PM
i have no issue with someone hunting a grizzly and takeing one that they are happy with.

I would love to take one with hounds but that is just me:mrgreen:

elkdom
12-02-2010, 05:49 PM
Age tends to mellow a person. Now, I am happy to just watch them in the wild.
mellow with age? maybe ??
but those grizzlies in the wild are also watching YOU! and although they think you may have mellowed somewhat,,,,,,,,:?
grizzlies ??,although they will eat just about anything,, they sure don't wanna chaw down, on a tough ol' piece of horse harness like you!:mrgreen:

gutpile
12-02-2010, 07:31 PM
No I won't just take anybody, I would take someone frist on a spring blackbear hunt and get to know the person and see what they are made of.

sawmill
12-02-2010, 07:55 PM
I took 2 before the draw came in,9`6 bown /red boar and an 8 ft silver tip lone sow..I helped a half dozen friends get nice ones over that time too including a monster taken by Deb Nelson, a taxi and friend from Quesnel and a jet black silvertip for my best friend.
I agree with Safari Chris.It is a once in a lifetime thing and I am glad I got to do it but when my house burned down I lost those magnificant mounts and i only have a few shitty photos to show for killing them.Such a waste ,I don`t hunt things I won`t eat anymore.
I would rather see them than kill them too.
As long as they leave ME alone.:mrgreen:

Skull Hunter
12-02-2010, 07:57 PM
I was also uncertain about taking a grizzly, however I got an LEH this year anyways. Got the draw, and took a small bear. Thought he was bigger, but I guess that's just inexperience in bear hunting. In any even I'm proud of him and his rug wont be too big for any of my walls. I figured if I shot it, I better at least try it. Packed out some of the meat but not all of it. In hindsight I wish I had packed it all out, it was delicious. Honestly some of the best meat I've ever had.

I support the grizzly hunt, and I will be applying again until I can find a more trophy caliber bear. Hopefully he'll taste just as good!

leadpillproductions
12-02-2010, 08:39 PM
If you dont like to hunt them then dont! I do like to hunt them i will keep putting in for leh for years to come .

Mik
12-02-2010, 08:44 PM
I was also uncertain about taking a grizzly, however I got an LEH this year anyways. Got the draw, and took a small bear. Thought he was bigger, but I guess that's just inexperience in bear hunting. In any even I'm proud of him and his rug wont be too big for any of my walls. I figured if I shot it, I better at least try it. Packed out some of the meat but not all of it. In hindsight I wish I had packed it all out, it was delicious. Honestly some of the best meat I've ever had.

I support the grizzly hunt, and I will be applying again until I can find a more trophy caliber bear. Hopefully he'll taste just as good!
Zubris21, good on you, I too packed out all of my G-bear! Great tasting meat In my opinion!!! And I too, look fwd to my next. Grizzly Bear!

Camp Cook
12-03-2010, 08:35 AM

and I wouldn't go into the thick shit after a grizzly in the dark ever I'd come back in the morning...

I shot my grizzly @ 9:15pm (it was dark in that area @ 10:10pm) we headed into the bush after it just over 1/2 hour after I shot it was so thick and dark that I could hardly see my son walking 7 - 8 yards to my side.

We went back to camp appr 1 1/2 hour hike/drive away and came back at first light in the morning found it dead 75 yards into the bush.

AT&T
12-03-2010, 03:44 PM
and I wouldn't go into the thick shit after a grizzly in the dark ever I'd come back in the morning...

I shot my grizzly @ 9:15pm (it was dark in that area @ 10:10pm) we headed into the bush after it just over 1/2 hour after I shot it was so thick and dark that I could hardly see my son walking 7 - 8 yards to my side.

We went back to camp appr 1 1/2 hour hike/drive away and came back at first light in the morning found it dead 75 yards into the bush.

And how did that taste?

elkdom
12-03-2010, 04:34 PM

it is actually quite exhilarating!:shock:

Camp Cook
12-03-2010, 05:43 PM
And how did that taste?

To find it in that thick bush so quickly was awesome...

Then we realized that it was far bigger than we had thought so the bottle that we had celebrated with the night before wasn't wasted...

fullcurl33
12-03-2010, 06:51 PM
Am for grizzly hunting one of tuffest hunts i've done, still love to see them and hope to hunt them again

The Hermit
12-03-2010, 06:58 PM
I would like to kill ONE big grizzly with the bow for the thrill of the hunt/challenge/rug.

After that... only if in dire circumstances. How many guys EAT the grizzlies they shoot. I was raised only to kill animals that I fully intend to eat.

Kootenay Nordic Sports
12-03-2010, 07:05 PM
I think I would like to get one in my lifetime. I do support the hunt and I have put in a few times ...but nothing yet. mmmmmm bear sausage.

BlacktailStalker
12-03-2010, 07:15 PM
I'd like to whack a great big coastal and a gorgeous silver tip.

.330 Dakota
12-03-2010, 07:28 PM

Pick me Pick me LOL The trick to picking a griz partner is get to know him/her and make sure they are the type to stand their ground, stay cool and shoot until the bear is dead, especially if it's charging.
Anyone who hunts these bears should know that you will never outrun one or get away, so die like a man dammit

dana
12-03-2010, 08:07 PM
I really would love to kill a grizz in my own backyard. Just can't seem to draw a tag. Figure it would be pretty cool to hunt them in the same unit as my kid's great great grandfather did back in the 20's, 30's and 40's.

Rock&Rattle
12-03-2010, 09:15 PM
I dread the day I come between a Grizz sow and her cub...play dead I guess. I still put in for LEH on the coast but have mixed feelings about harvesting one. I feel if you aren't Canadian you don't deserve to kill a Grizz.

boxhitch
12-04-2010, 01:02 AM
[quote=AT&T;801874] In my humble opinon shooting a grizzly that is up to his eyes in grass or lupins munching away is (NOT) a contest. One well placed shot and he is done.............

..........How many of you would rather see them than shoot them? /quote]One well placed shot is usually the way it goes with any species, whether eating sleeping or humping.
And IMO a GBear is no more appealing to view than a large buck or ram or bull.
They are all special.
In my back yard, I'd leave them for another day.
But when they step across the line .............Bang!

AT&T
12-04-2010, 07:12 AM
Well since starting this post it sure was interesting. Most of what I have heard is "Ya I want to wack one. Smack one. Bust one up.The best being leave it in the bush to die while I get drunk.

I guess if you live in suburbia, city whatever with out being around Bears it probably is some fantasy to shoot one. I do understand that. Locals find it hard to get drawn most of the time. That is unfortunate. I did get drawn 5 times myself back in the day when I hunted them. Never got the job done. Too picky I guess. Now just dont have the interest. I watched grizzles mate this past spring on my property. The male was honestly 850 pounds. The heaviest Grizz I ever saw in the spring. I was only 150 feet away kneeling in the grass watching them make for an hour. The both saw me but were, well occupied. An experience I will never forget. To those of you who appreciate them and dont hunt. Good on you! To those of you who want to shoot one I hope your hunt is a successful one and the bears dies as quickly as possible. Thank you for views.

AT&T
12-04-2010, 07:14 AM
I should add to this that I have been around several bears that have been snared and radio collared, weight etc. This gives me a good idea of how big this male was.