PDA

View Full Version : German Wirehaired Pointer

4pointer91
12-01-2010, 10:49 PM
Yesterday I had to put down my 4 yr old German Wirehaired Pointer hunting dog due to contraction of type T lymphoma. I had noticed a oval shaped lump near its groin around the first week of August and had a diagnosis made a month later. He did well for the last 10 weeks but within the last 3 days it caught up to him causing him constant pain and disabling the use of his hind legs.

I would like to know if any members on this site can recommend a good breeder for this bread of dog in BC or Canada wide. There does not appear to be a lot of local breeders and I am concerned of inter-breeding after what I have just experienced.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have.

hotload
12-01-2010, 11:24 PM
First of all I am very sorry to hear about your loss. Not much feels worse. I thought if you were looking for B.C. bred GWP's then maybe you would contemplate a Deutche Drahthaar breeder that lives just south of you in Omak, Washington. He owns Vom Okanogan Flusstal Drahthaars. I have dealt with him in the past and he breeds wonderful,versatile, working dogs. I know you will appreciate his quality of dog and what he expects out of his championship lines. His name is Lee Root and he lives in Omak Wash, ph# 509-422-9796 e-mail lsroot@ncidata.com Address, 29 Red Apple Way.
Good Luck ROD

J-F
12-02-2010, 04:12 AM
Sorry for your dog. I just can't think I'll have to go the same road with my big girl sometime.

For your question, I heard a rumor this week that Linda Cline, a lab trainer, would get into German Wirehair Pointers breeding. You can easily find her contact info by googling "Someday retrievers", the name of her training company. She is in Kamloops.

Worst case scenario, she's not doing anything of that, but she may be able to direct you to the right person. I think she has trained a dog, a GWP, for a friend of mine.

Good luck,

JF

Tron
12-02-2010, 08:09 AM
There is a breeder in Duncan on Vancouver island and one near Calgary. Ill try and get you names. Also there are a few in Washington and Oregon.

Buck
12-02-2010, 08:20 AM
If you want a good healthy dog go with the German Breeding system.Deutsch Kurzhaar or Deutsch Drahthaar.

16ga
12-02-2010, 10:01 AM
Sorry to hear about your dog, You might want to try a rescue pointer.

http://www.canadasguidetodogs.com/pointergermanw.htm

4pointer91
12-02-2010, 10:27 AM
Thanks for all the information. I was not aware there were breeders in BC or Northern Washington. There is supposed to be a Griffon Pointer breeder here in the Penticton area, relocated from Alberta but I don't know where.

My GWP was bought from a breeder in Campbell River in 1997, it was the bitches 2nd litter and I don't think he was intending on further breeding. I was told my dogs dam was from Nanaimo and the sire was from McNally's kennels outside of Edmonton.

He was a great hunting dog and I enjoyed training him, I think I spent more time with him in the last 4 years than I did with my wife :) Much too young to be taken away from us ...he will be missed!

mijinkal
12-02-2010, 11:13 AM
If you want a good healthy dog go with the German Breeding system.Deutsch Kurzhaar or Deutsch Drahthaar.

I second what Buck says. I have a Kurzhaar and they are amazing dogs. You won't regret getting one of those breeds!

Buck
12-02-2010, 03:10 PM
I know Lee Root from Vom Okanagan Flustall trained and tested with him.He is a great guy and has nice dogs.

Kasomor
12-02-2010, 06:07 PM
So sorry for the loss of your dog.

Kasomor

EURO*D
12-02-2010, 08:23 PM
If I were you I would check out the NADKC website or NAVDA websites and see what you can find. From browsing some of the info on this site I think a few people have DK's and DD's??

Tron
12-05-2010, 07:37 PM
Here are 2 I was recommended.
Washington- http://www.invernesskennels.com/
Alberta- http://www.mcnallyskennels.com/

Retrievers
12-09-2010, 09:59 PM
I have German Wirehair Pointers. I will be breeding in 2011.

Retrievers
12-09-2010, 10:04 PM
You can try Brian Fuller in Alberta I can get you a number if you like. Tried to do business with McNally. He was very unprofessional on the phone, I would have nothing to do with him.

Retrievers
12-10-2010, 11:32 PM
Hello my name is Linda Cline. I am getting into the German Wirehairs. I have a nice female 2 years old in 2011. I have owned and sold a few started dogs over the past few years. Love to hunt over them and love their temperments. Probably has more to do with my age. Trying to keep up with the labs and a bum knee just gets harder these days.
I had a really nice Griffon here for 2 months that I was trying to sell but had no bites, I guess due to xmas. This young male is 7 months old, and was hunted over this past fall. He had no training when he came to me at 5 months old but did well in the field. Gun shot was not a issue and he was really birdy. I sent him back to Salmon Arm. If your interested I can get you the number to where he is. I think the price will be really reasonable as the owner was owed this pup by a breeder but he does not want a dog right now.

4pointer91
12-15-2010, 12:05 AM
Thanks for your response, I am currently looking into the Deutche Drahthaar's but open to similar breeds. I have read that the Griffon's tend to stay closer to you in the field. My previous GWP if not on leash had a tendency to run ahead and then return periodically to check where I was before running ahead again. If you could pass along the phone# of the Griffon owner perhaps I could chat with him.

Hello my name is Linda Cline. I am getting into the German Wirehairs. I have a nice female 2 years old in 2011. I have owned and sold a few started dogs over the past few years. Love to hunt over them and love their temperments. Probably has more to do with my age. Trying to keep up with the labs and a bum knee just gets harder these days.
I had a really nice Griffon here for 2 months that I was trying to sell but had no bites, I guess due to xmas. This young male is 7 months old, and was hunted over this past fall. He had no training when he came to me at 5 months old but did well in the field. Gun shot was not a issue and he was really birdy. I sent him back to Salmon Arm. If your interested I can get you the number to where he is. I think the price will be really reasonable as the owner was owed this pup by a breeder but he does not want a dog right now.

Retrievers
12-22-2010, 09:32 AM
I am so sorry but they already placed him. Rats, he would have been perfect for you. Linda

4pointer91
12-31-2010, 07:54 PM
Well I did some research and decided to put a deposit on a Deutsch Drahthaar pup that will be available mid March from a breeder in the US. I am really looking forward to training him and having a great hunting companion.

Buck
12-31-2010, 09:10 PM
I have a DD you won't regret it.Any questions just ask.

4pointer91
01-03-2011, 10:45 AM
Curious as to where you do your training for your DD. Is there testing available in Western Canada now? ...thanks.

I have a DD you won't regret it.Any questions just ask.

Buck
01-03-2011, 11:05 AM
For the VJP i tested in Boise IDaho and for the HZP i tested in Omak Washington.I did several training days with the Western Chapter in Omak and a couple in Moscow Idaho.There was an HZP in Edmonton this year as well.
A guy on here named HUnting Family has DD's and he is in Summerland .I trained with him a number of times you definately want to talk to him.