PDA

View Full Version : Trolling for Grizzly Bears.....

Whisky Creek
11-30-2010, 10:46 PM
Now, I told my father-in-law that baiting bears in BC was definitely illegal, BUT, I wasn't sure if trolling for them was a legal method or not....

Thought I'd share this one with you guys. My wife's dad had an interesting grizzly encounter last week. Although he does like to stretch a story now and then, I believe he's shooting straight with this one.

The jist of the story goes like this:

He shoots a nice little 5X5 whitetail about 45 minutes drive from his home in Vernon. He decides to use the 10 ft piece of rope on his quad to drag the deer out of the cut-block to a nicer area along the old logging road to gut the deer. On the way through the block he finds he is getting hung up on stumps and slash a fair bit, so being a meat hunter and not worried about the antlers he gives it a bit more throttle and keeps going. He's almost to the road when he gets hung up again and after almost getting the quad pulled over on himself he decides to stop and try to get the deer a bit higher up behind his quad to make it easier and keep it from getting hung up so much.
He gets off the quad and sees the broken end of the rope dangling off his cargo rack. He looks back up the trail 15 feet to where he last got hung up and just about sh*#ts his pants. There is a 3 - 4 year old grizzly sitting there with his claws and teeth sunk into his deer!
He grabs his rifle and has a talk with the bear.
He said the bear didn't really want to give the deer back but finally decided it would. It moved 40 feet away and proceeded to pop its teeth and swipe the surrounding brush and regen in an effort to scare him off.
Father-in-law grabs the end of the deer rope and knots it back together and gets the hell out of there while keeping an eye on the bear.
He said the "nervous feeling" only set in sometime later when he thought about the fact that the bear had been able to get within ten feet of him without his knowing it!

Times like this you wish someone had a video camera, eh?

CLINT

cavebear
12-01-2010, 12:04 AM
holy !!@! glad hes ok :-D

hunter1947
12-01-2010, 03:24 AM
He is a lucky person that this incident did not go further then it did ,it takes lots of guts to do what he did to scare this bear off.

I myself would have probable let the bear have the deer ,I always carry a camera with me to film.

Whisky Creek
12-01-2010, 02:26 PM
I think the surprise of the whole thing happening led him to hooking the deer back up and going with it. Having the opportunity to think about it for a minute or so, a guy likely would tend to backoff a bit, eh?
Course, you'd have to go back for the quad anyways!!!

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
12-01-2010, 04:26 PM
Good Storie Got My Heart Pumping!!

CanuckShooter
12-01-2010, 04:35 PM
Now, I told my father-in-law that baiting bears in BC was definitely illegal, BUT, I wasn't sure if trolling for them was a legal method or not....

Thought I'd share this one with you guys. My wife's dad had an interesting grizzly encounter last week. Although he does like to stretch a story now and then, I believe he's shooting straight with this one.

The jist of the story goes like this:

He shoots a nice little 5X5 whitetail about 45 minutes drive from his home in Vernon. He decides to use the 10 ft piece of rope on his quad to drag the deer out of the cut-block to a nicer area along the old logging road to gut the deer. On the way through the block he finds he is getting hung up on stumps and slash a fair bit, so being a meat hunter and not worried about the antlers he gives it a bit more throttle and keeps going. He's almost to the road when he gets hung up again and after almost getting the quad pulled over on himself he decides to stop and try to get the deer a bit higher up behind his quad to make it easier and keep it from getting hung up so much.
He gets off the quad and sees the broken end of the rope dangling off his cargo rack. He looks back up the trail 15 feet to where he last got hung up and just about sh*#ts his pants. There is a 3 - 4 year old grizzly sitting there with his claws and teeth sunk into his deer!
He grabs his rifle and has a talk with the bear.
He said the bear didn't really want to give the deer back but finally decided it would. It moved 40 feet away and proceeded to pop its teeth and swipe the surrounding brush and regen in an effort to scare him off.
Father-in-law grabs the end of the deer rope and knots it back together and gets the hell out of there while keeping an eye on the bear.
He said the "nervous feeling" only set in sometime later when he thought about the fact that the bear had been able to get within ten feet of him without his knowing it!

Times like this you wish someone had a video camera, eh?

CLINT

What you are describing is totally illegal, it would be considered chumming:mrgreen: or in the very least cruelty to animals when he took the deer back.:mrgreen:

pappy
12-01-2010, 05:25 PM
I would say he got lucky and the bear may have already had a good feeding that day. This time of year they like to eat any and everything they can.

Whisky Creek
12-01-2010, 06:23 PM
I'm kinda thinking it is pretty unusual behaviour for a growly bear and likely due to the fact that he is still out at this time of year (ie: hungry) and young and dumb about the winter snooze idea....