PDA

View Full Version : Do you cut your deer's throat?

Blktail
11-30-2010, 07:08 PM
I am of the belief that cutting a deer's throat after it is dead does not get a significant amount of blood out of the meat (if any). The heart has to pump it out.

Anyone have strong opinions either way?

swb
11-30-2010, 07:14 PM
Always gut my animals right away, so there's no need to cut the throat

Kyle84
11-30-2010, 07:16 PM
never bleed the dear from the throat, just gutting. I'd like to hear more about this.

wolverine
11-30-2010, 07:18 PM
Cutting the throat of a dead deer is like dropping your fly after you piss. No blood pressure no bleeding. Oh sure, it'll drip out a bit but why? What's the advantage? Drying out the meat? That's Hollywood shit.

5 spike
11-30-2010, 07:25 PM
never have never will.

Gateholio
11-30-2010, 07:27 PM
Usually when you turn the lungs/hear to jello the blood leaks out those holes that you made. No point in cutting the throat.:-D

Steeleco
11-30-2010, 07:32 PM
Why take the edge off of a good knife? Waste of time IMO!

BlacktailStalker
11-30-2010, 07:40 PM
Only if I think he might tell people where I got him.

elkdom
11-30-2010, 07:45 PM
Only if I think he might tell people where I got him.

a "secret spot" can be divulged by even the most innocent of caracters,,,,,,,,,

why take any chances ? :?

troutseeker
11-30-2010, 08:30 PM
How can a dead heart pump blood? Are you giving them CPR???

Jelvis
11-30-2010, 08:33 PM
Only if he approves first.
Jel ..

gamehunter6o
11-30-2010, 10:17 PM
On a body/chest shot it is pointless to bleed it as it will have already bled out.
On a head or neck shot though a deer does not bleed out properly, so get to it quick and stick it in the throat where you can feel a soft spot at the base of your throat. This cuts the arteries that are clustered there and the heart will suck blood out of the body and out those cut arteries.
Meat keeps best when bled properly.

M.Dean
11-30-2010, 10:38 PM
There's a old saying " Bleed like a stuck pig"! Reason being is with a pig you give it a wack with a hammer then use a " pig sticker", you grab the pig by the head, lift it up and stick the knife into it's throat until you hit the Aorta of it's heart,and the blood squirts out! The animal has to be alive for it to bleed properly, thats why when they slaughter animals they just knock them out, not kill them instantly. To cut the throat after it's dead is pointless like mentioned all ready.

LukaTisus
11-30-2010, 10:52 PM
How can a dead heart pump blood? Are you giving them CPR???

I lol'd. Only because I was helping a friend with a moose he downed earlier this year and he was joking around with a half quartered up animal, saying if some other hunters came 'round the bend he wanted us all to start giving it chest pumps while he went mouth to snout. Disturbing as it was, we all had a good laugh.

lip_ripper00
11-30-2010, 11:10 PM
I lol'd. Only because I was helping a friend with a moose he downed earlier this year and he was joking around with a half quartered up animal, saying if some other hunters came 'round the bend he wanted us all to start giving it chest pumps while he went mouth to snout. Disturbing as it was, we all had a good laugh.

I have seen you people before, I just drove past and did'nt open my window..............:eek:.

Gateholio
11-30-2010, 11:11 PM
When I slaughter animals, I shoot them in the brain, then cut their throat. Blood pumps out (gushes) and drains because the heart is still beating.

If the heart isn't pumping, the best you can do is cut the throat and point the animal's neck downhill.

LukaTisus
11-30-2010, 11:12 PM
Yeah, they crazy. I just stood back and laughed, no way I'd be that twisted to actually do it though. ;)

hunter1947
12-01-2010, 03:49 AM
I did cut the deers throat back in the days when I was a young man ,in the last 40 years I have never cut the throat I learned after you shot the animal you clean it and when you do this all the blood will be out..

Cutting the throat when it is dead does nothing for the bleeding its when the animal is alive that this would work ,it would pump the blood out if you cut the animals throat when it was alive..

Ronforca
12-01-2010, 05:54 AM
Have not cut a Deers throat in many years.