PDA

View Full Version : Sorry mr truck hunter :)

fozzy
11-29-2010, 09:16 PM
So the other day I had walked to the end of a road into a cut block. A few Doe's and a small buck had gone by. One Whitetail Doe was slowly making her way through the block so I was busy watching her. A small 4x4 had just appeared in front of me about 50 yards away. I was waiting for it to make a couple more steps into view and decide whether I was going to shoot it or not. Then I hear something off to my right. A truck had drove into the cut block. I'm still watching the buck then look back at the truck(which is about 75 yards away) the guy is out of the truck with his rifle now. So quick decision time... The buck takes the one step to reveal it's neck and I drop it. Then I look at the guy, he's looking around, doesn't know where the shot came from and looks pretty confused. I tried to whistle at him, would have at least chatted with him but he just got back into his truck and left. I wonder what went through his mind when the deer he was about to shoot got struck by lightning right before his eyes. Pretty funny moment, for me at least.
From where I was sitting and shooting too was completely safe. If he had shot I would have been fine as long as the buck didn't come any closer to me.
Sorry dude, you almost got that one :)

islandboy
11-29-2010, 09:22 PM
Good thing you apologized. :mrgreen: We would not want confused and angry road hunters out there. :wink:

dino
11-29-2010, 09:30 PM
I once shot an elk some other guy called in. I didnt know he was there and he did a pretty convincing call. ........... I said sorry but he was still pissed.

TheProvider
11-29-2010, 09:44 PM
A great way to end the hunt forsure.

Sleep Robber
11-29-2010, 09:51 PM
I once shot an elk some other guy called in. I didnt know he was there and he did a pretty convincing call. ........... I said sorry but he was still pissed.

haha, as I read this, I'm laughing , thinking how much it would have pissed me off too :) hey sh!t happens though.:wink:

Shooter
11-29-2010, 09:54 PM

Your name isn't Arky is it??:wink::wink:. lol.

Spy
11-29-2010, 10:19 PM
Your name isn't Arky is it??:wink::wink:. lol.

Good one..:-D:-D

hunter1947
11-30-2010, 04:01 AM
Wayne I talked to a person that I shot a deer out from underneath him years back it was Guy Scott that owned river boat adventure ,I shot this deer near weeks lake on Vancouver island.

He did not see me because I was below the crest of a hill that he and his friend where glassing I also could not see ether one of them.

The one thing he said to me was that it scared the crap out of him and his buddy when the shot went off...

fozzy
11-30-2010, 08:49 AM
I bet it scared him. I got dropped off so no vehicle was parked there. I was sitting there before it got light out freezing my tail off. He drove in on me so I didn't feel too bad. :)

rifleman
11-30-2010, 12:25 PM
quick decision for sure. way to go any pics?

muledeercrazy
11-30-2010, 02:07 PM
Hi Wayne, good trip so far? Sounds like your having some fun!

swampthing
12-01-2010, 07:38 AM
Many years ago when I was new to deer hunting, I had climbed far back into a basin behind Clinton. I located two spike bucks. As I was new to deer hunting, a buck of any size was on my hit list. I was a long ways through rough terrain back to my truck, so I was thinking the logistics of removing a buck if I took it. I was watching the bucks through my scope, when one staggered, and then I heard a gunshot. Several more shots rang out and one of the bucks fell. I got excited and shot the other one. I had located the other hunters position while he was shooting, and stood up and waved to him. We met at the two downed bucks. He was as suprised as I was. We has a good laugh as we cleaned our bucks. This is where I learned what a backpack was all about. He had one but I hadnt discovered them and new nothing about boning deer out. It was a lot of years back and I have almost forgotten the incident when I saw your post. Thanks for the memory.

ratherbefishin
12-01-2010, 07:47 AM
years ago I was hunting Cowichan on opening day, shot a nice fork down low in a swamp at first light.I heard another shot way above me-and later met the guy who had a nice 3 point down,he said when he was hunting in an area where there were lots of road hunters, he got in early and went to the highest point of land where he could see the roads below him and just waited for the truck hunters to push a buck to him -he said he watched this buck move up the hill behind the truck at every switchback,and they never even knew it was there.He said he's shot several nice bucks that way-setting up on high ground and letting the road hunters push deer to him-they almost always went uphill-where he was waiting

7MMDAVE
12-01-2010, 11:14 AM
Wayne we need pictures.

fozzy
12-01-2010, 12:34 PM
quick decision for sure. way to go any pics?

One our way home today, I'll post some pics later.

IronNoggin
12-01-2010, 01:12 PM
A few years back in Saskatchewan, I was hunting with a couple of good buddies for whitetails. Took a very nice buck within a few moments of the opening (had been watching this one for a week) and then lent my rifle to a Friend whose own rifle wasn't of the best quality. Loaded up my buck, ran to the ranch house to collect some coffee and lunch, and was on my way back to the area the Ladz were working when I happened across a HUGE buck we didn't even know existed on that property!

Drove like a Mad Fiend to the area the Ladz were working, saw my buddy, and to his astonishment I roared up the hill right to him: WTF he cried? GET IN NOW I screamed! I explained the scenario, and was desperately hoping the Biggie was still where last seen. He had fed over a little knoll, but was till there! SWEET! Dropped my partner, and got the truck the hell out of there as he began his stalk. Watching from a far off knoll through the spotting scope, I saw my buddy top the rise, kneel, take aim, and BAM! The buck staggered then fell! Got 'Eem I thought. Love it when a plan comes together...

Rolled back down to the area to see a rather dejected look on my buddy's face as he came back down the hill. Huh? Turns out a Father and Son team had been tracking that buck since first light, and just came within sight of him at the exact same time my Buddy lined up on him. Split seconds decided who was going to take him.

Although my Partner was just a little bummed, we both recognized that the Pa & Boy team had WELL earned that ol' Mossy Horns. So we helped them drag it down to the road, and congratulated the Young Gun on his first - gonna be tough to beat methinks. And my partner took a very fine buck the very next morning, less than 200 yards from there the Giant fell. All in all, a good ending - as it should be! :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Nog

7MMDAVE
12-01-2010, 01:28 PM
Have a safe drive home Wayne. Will we see you tomorrow or next week?

fozzy
12-01-2010, 05:34 PM
Have a safe drive home Wayne. Will we see you tomorrow or next week?

Back to the grind tomorrow :( I tell ya two months off sure went by fast!