PDA

View Full Version : First Whitetail -- From 2008

Xoxiliv
11-29-2010, 06:50 PM
2008 was my first year hunting Whitetail Deer and this is the results. My youngest son and I had spotted him two days prior in the morning. We walked in on a slash. Immediately upon entering the slash I seen a flash of movement to my right..about 30 yards away...I seen a doe and this buck looking at me. Before I could get my rifle to my shoulder he turned and started to walk away...right behind a large, overturned stump. He did not come out the other side. As soon as he was hidden from my view, behind the stump, he ran directly away from me. We checked over the rest of the slash and spotted nothing else. Not wanting to make the deer spooked I opted not to hunt the same area that evening nor the following day....

...Tuesday morning arrived. Today I was hunting alone and need not worry about a 6 year old dragging his feet or stepping on sticks. I parked my truck about a half mile from the slash and began my walk in. As I approached the slash, on an old overgrown skidder trail, I heard what I thought was a grunt. I stopped and waited for what felt like an eternity. Nothing else was heard so I continued my walk in. As I made the last corner and looked into the slash, a doe ran across the opening, approx. 50 yards from me. She came to a sudden stop and did a quick, playful 180 degree spin...looking back the way she came. Lucky for me, standing in plain sight on the trail, she did not notice me. I took a knee and waited. Moments later a small buck came into visit her. I brought my rifle up and took aim through my scope. As I was about to drop the hammer another movement caught my eye coming in from the right. I looked up and in the early morning light I could see this second deer had a much bigger rack on his head. I changed my focus on this new buck....

...the doe not wanting all the attention she was getting decided to walk directly away from me. Both bucks following. I thought of taking a shot to the back of the buck's head but decided to wait as I still had not been spotted. The doe, followed by her two suitors, walked about 70 yards out, and made a left turn behind a large fir tree. She came out from behind the tree and was perfectly broad side to me. She kept walking and was soon followed by the smaller buck. Now I knew how the larger buck was going to present himself and I readied my cross hairs on the open side of the tree...

I'll interrupt my story at this point to mention I had a very good dose of Buck Fever by this time. My legs were shaking, my arms were shaking and I couldn't get enough air into my lungs. My heart beat sounded like drums in my head. My vision had tunneled and I was worried I wouldn't be able to make the shot.

... The buck stepped out and I took aim ( with all the shaking I was doing I figured the movements would "average" out and would hit what I was looking at ) just behind his front shoulder. BANG! I looked up and the deer was gone. I didn't see him fall and I didn't see him run. The doe and smaller buck ran for about 40 yards and stopped and looked back. Where was the buck I had shot at? I quickly chambered another round and continued to stalk into the slash. I walked about 20 yards and came around a small outcropping of trees. There was the buck, standing broadside to me, looking completely confused. I through my rifle up in one smooth motion, took aim at his neck....and the result is now up on my living room wall.

This Whitetail ended my 15 year drought of unsuccessful hunting, prior to which I had taken a Mule Deer and a moose. Since this deer my luck (or skill) has dramatically improved. I took a 5X4 Whitetail in 2009 and this year was blessed with a 4X4 Mule Deer, a small basket 4 point Whitetail, and a calf elk.(LEH) I have been back to the same slash on many occasions since taking this 5X5 and have yet to see another deer.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/DSC00811_900x675_.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/DSC00817_900x675_.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/DSC00813_900x675_.jpg

The Dawg
11-29-2010, 06:54 PM
NICE!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/DSC00811_900x675_.jpg

Phil A. Bowl
11-29-2010, 07:04 PM
would that be a hybrid?

Blainer
11-29-2010, 07:05 PM
Great looking buck!
Good on ya.

BlacktailStalker
11-29-2010, 07:25 PM
Nice bucks, looks like you've conquered the learning curve.
Unique user name as well.

savagecanuck
11-29-2010, 08:59 PM
Great story and a very nice buck.Yes thankfully we improve are hunting skills

leadpillproductions
11-29-2010, 09:16 PM
heck of a wt deer

luckynuts
11-29-2010, 09:33 PM
Welcome to the site.

Congrats on a nice whitetail and the others that followed. It gets addicting real quick:wink: Nice looking gun and a lefty too boot. What a shooting?

W.

Xoxiliv
11-29-2010, 10:30 PM
Welcome to the site.

Congrats on a nice whitetail and the others that followed. It gets addicting real quick:wink: Nice looking gun and a lefty too boot. What a shooting?

W.

Ruger M77. 30-06. 168gr Winchester Supreme.

hunter1947
11-30-2010, 03:52 AM
Thats a very nice mule ???? or WT deer ???? you got in 2008 for sure a hybrid..

I would have liked to see the backend of this deer to see what the tail looked like..

Welcome to the site Xoxiliv..

Xoxiliv
11-30-2010, 07:16 AM
Thats a very nice mule ???? or WT deer ???? you got in 2008 for sure a hybrid..

I would have liked to see the backend of this deer to see what the tail looked like..

Welcome to the site Xoxiliv..

Not the first time somebody has mentioned "hybrid" with respect to this buck. (A few opinions outside this forum.) His tail was that of a typical whitetail (big ole white flag) and he was with other whitetails.

I understand it is usually a whitetail buck that will breed with a mule deer doe as a mule deer buck is too slow to keep up with a whitetail doe.

What do you base your assessment on that this is a "hybrid". Curiosity has got me now....

slicky72
11-30-2010, 07:32 AM
I'm guessing it's that left antler with the two forks on it:wink:

budismyhorse
11-30-2010, 09:56 AM
there is a general muley "look" to it......face shape and color...

I just got back from Sask hunting whiteys in a muley dominated area. After seeing 50 muleys a day, when a whitey steps out you know instantly its a whitetail.

I almost made a huge mistake while on stand the last night. After a few hours of seeing muleys come in and out of my little patch, from the left at 200 yrds a "whitey" comes strolling in. Instantly, my pulse starts racing as I throw the bins up to see a huge rack 160/170 easy. But there was something about the deer so I waited and waited......finally I saw its ass and it was a damn muley! Everything else from color to shape/size horn configuration was a whitetail.......what was it??? who knows? a hybrid? I'm not shooting a muley arse'd whitey.

They are out there...I'm a believer now.

Kirby
11-30-2010, 02:38 PM
What do you base your assessment on that this is a "hybrid".

Trying to get a rise outta people. Hybrids have been a well discussed topic in the past...

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=7758&highlight=Hybrid
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=8873&highlight=Hybrid