PDA

View Full Version : Best Blacktail Calls

the sentencer
11-29-2010, 06:28 PM
I am wanting to get myself a good game call to use when blacktail hunting and am not sure what to buy. If your hunting in the rut right now for blackies what would be the best call to use and where do you pick one up? I have a couple calls that you blow into but they don't seem that great. I've heard of this 'can call' in a thread by PG66 but don't know where you get it. Some advice on where to get a good call and best methods to use it would be awesome. Thanks in advance! BTW what is the general time frame for the rut in region 2?

Sitkaspruce
11-29-2010, 06:54 PM
I have used the Primos and Quaker Boy calls with some good luck on all three deer species.

here is what they mean by can call

https://shop.primos.com/c-12-the-can-family.aspx

I have also had great luck with "The Deer Stopper" by ELK.

Great video to go along with that that helps a lot with how to use it. Also a book out as well.

http://www.elkinc.com/detail.aspx?ID=4

Best thing I can say about them is to use them when you think you need to, but do not over use them as you can scare deer off as well.

Cheers

SS

TheProvider
11-29-2010, 06:58 PM
Get a "can call", primos or quaker boy, most outdoor stores sell them, even most walmarts and canadian tires

ruger#1
11-29-2010, 07:00 PM
Get the Primos, long can.

Gilmore
11-29-2010, 07:45 PM
I've been using a Primos can call as well but I still say my K'meer Deer mouth call works better. I've actually left my can call in the truck the past few days. I think another thing you have to remember when using a call while stalking deer is when you use the call you have to be prepared to sit still for more than a few minutes after you use it. As soon as you use it you've just given away everything you have worked so hard to gain, and that is your exact position. The blackies I've been calling will come in slow and cautiosly when they come and if you move to soon your busted. When you think, "well thats it, nothing here" give it a couple more minutes.

Shooter
11-29-2010, 08:33 PM
I've been using a Primos can call as well but I still say my K'meer Deer mouth call works better. I've actually left my can call in the truck the past few days. I think another thing you have to remember when using a call while stalking deer is when you use the call you have to be prepared to sit still for more than a few minutes after you use it. As soon as you use it you've just given away everything you have worked so hard to gain, and that is your exact position. The blackies I've been calling will come in slow and cautiosly when they come and if you move to soon your busted. When you think, "well thats it, nothing here" give it a couple more minutes.

Fantastic advice. Something I have to constantly continue telling myself all the time.

Another thing I use calls for (actually what i use them for mostly) is when I am walking in very noisy places. Crunchy snow etc. I know that the deer hear me coming already so I just try to sound like a deer instead of a human. That includes the way I walk and step. Even so much as the way I set my foot down on the ground. Deer don't roll their hooves down.

knighthunter
11-29-2010, 10:04 PM
"The great big can" really isn't very big. Will fit in your pocket.

islander7mm
11-29-2010, 10:47 PM
I've discovered calling to be quite effective this year. I have a primo can aswell and have rattled a set of mulie antlers.

Shooter
11-29-2010, 10:51 PM
Early season the fawn in distress call can be effective on some of the younger bucks that are hanging with the does. The does will come to it and more than once I've seen some younger bucks come out after the does. Never seen a cranker this way tho.

hunter1947
11-30-2010, 03:16 AM
This is what I used to call in a few Wt bucks this year I also have used these calls on BTD as well and have worked very good..

#1 call on your left is called a deer talk the deer stopper.
#2 call is a primos deer stopper.
#3 call is called bush in the bush grunt tube.
#4 is called primos the long can.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/PB300035.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=21423)

Squire
11-30-2010, 09:47 AM

Great advice Chad. I have a can call as well but I have never heard a deer make that kind of bleating sound. When I am in the midst of Blacktails when they are relaxed enough to 'talk', the sounds I've heard them make are closer to the K'meer Deer than any other call. The Deer Talk is a close second and I've called deer in with both but never the can.

I try to call only when I know I have been heard with the idea that I can make deer believe I am one of them. In the heat of the rut I will carry one of my rattling antlers while I am hiking into an area and rub the odd sapling or willow bush in the same manner I have seen bucks do it. This has allowed me to walk in on deer when the conditions would have otherwise made it impossible.

In spite of these 'tricks' I still believe the best method when conditions allow is to stalk in on them as silently as possible; no noise is good noise.

xtremearchery
11-30-2010, 12:24 PM
The long can for sure! worked on the weekend for me.

the sentencer
11-30-2010, 04:58 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone. It's time to get a proper call and go find me a BT!
Is there any certain rattle bags anyone has found work good? I have a bag but it sounds to much like plastic. Carrying a set of sheds around isn't to ideal either but will do if there isn't a great compact rattler out there.

ruger#1
11-30-2010, 05:36 PM
Rattle bags sound better further away, You can make your own with those yellow tent pegs. Mine is a Knight & Hale and fits in the pocket fine. If you use deer scent do not go and buy scent pads, Buy a box of tampons. You can tie them to a branch and if you forget them. No worries, They are biodegradable. A lot cheaper also.

Husq
11-30-2010, 08:24 PM
Hunter Specialties -- True Talker

Out of all of the calls I have used this has been my favorite for the rut, stopping deer or calming they're nerves, it also worked wonders on mule deer.

Deer aren't particularly vocal animals like elk/moose are, so rather than calling them its better to know where they are.

Personally in Oct I found success by walking through whitetail country, being sneaky and having some luck. In Nov I found success by seeking sign, not disturbing the area to much and returning 48 hours later to where I originally found the sign.