PDA

View Full Version : blacktail food

buckwild76
11-29-2010, 06:25 PM
was reading an article in a hunting magazine and came upon an interesting subject. The article was about the "daily routines" of a whitetail buck, in regards to finding a food source and using the safest route to get there, using the wind to his advantage. Anyway without too much more rambling I realized that this is something I have completely overlooked in hunting blacktail. I don't know what those pesky buggers use for food sources, can anyone educate me as to what is on the menu?

hunter1947
11-30-2010, 04:38 AM
BTD deer are browsers they will eat almost anything in the woods..

buckwild76
11-30-2010, 07:44 AM
Good to know, thank you.

lilhoss
11-30-2010, 08:58 AM
BTD deer are browsers they will eat almost anything in the woods..
Yes,I've seen them eat all sorts of stuff,from mushrooms,moss or the liken from the old growth trees when it falls to the ground,small roots,you name it.I've hunted the Gulf Islands as well and they love the stinging nettles.They'll strip the leaves right off the stalk.I've heard fresh apples work good too!:mrgreen:

ruger#1
11-30-2010, 10:28 AM
They sure love those green ferns out this way. I hunt them like I hunt the mule deer in Clinton. They go down at night to feed and come back up in the morning. Looks like they eat alot of green grass.

Salty
11-30-2010, 10:37 AM
Their favorite food in late season and winter around here is coastal huckleberry bushes. I learned this from the MOE biologist. They get the loggers to leave patches of old or second growth with good understory of huckleberry here and there for winter range. I've found patches of the redish bushes with all the new growth chewed off and deer sign all over.