PDA

View Full Version : coyotes on my land, I need some advice.

Sleep Robber
11-29-2010, 04:58 PM
Here's the scenario,

I live in Richmond, and where the back of my property ends , is a 75 acre blueberry farm that my neighbor owns. I have a fence , but the coyotes could still climb over if they wanted to, and I'm afraid my daughters little lap dog is eventually going to become a snack. I see them at the fence all the time, and it's only a matter of time before this happens. There's at least 12 coyotes back there.They yip at the dog nightly , trying to coax it out, and it's pissing me off.

We "are" within the city limits !! and both me and my neighbor want them gone.

Is it legal for "me" to shoot them with a .22 or bow , or do I have to get the "CO" to get rid of them ?

My worry is that if I need the "CO", they won't do anything permanent, and I'll have the same problem down the road.

Any suggestions would be cool

mxracer328
11-29-2010, 05:01 PM
you can use a bow i believe, also would someone hear a .22 3 S's my friend

todbartell
11-29-2010, 05:05 PM
http://www.remington.com/~/media/Images/Ammunition/Rimfire/CBee22.ashx

Sleep Robber
11-29-2010, 05:14 PM
I doubt the noise would be heard. I do have a long bow, as well as the 22 longs. Just wondered about the legality.

Gateholio
11-29-2010, 05:16 PM
What do Richmond city By-laws say about hunting and firearms discharge?

35 Whelen
11-29-2010, 05:17 PM

Tod....where did you find those?????? I have a box left and they are great. No louder that a kids cap gun....and at about 790 fps they get the job done without alarming the neighbours.

If I were you Sleep...I would just place one in the ribs, just behind the shoulder....lung shot and ta da...no more yotes

crazy ducker
11-29-2010, 05:19 PM
it all depend where in richmond go to berry's or nikka or stillwater and get a fraser valley map it will tell you wether your legal or not my guesss is that your not east of 6 road or south of steveston hwy. therefore cb longs no noise and the 3 S's

Steeleco
11-29-2010, 05:22 PM
Here's the bylaws. http://www.richmond.ca/__shared/assets/Bylaw_4183_11090924416.pdf

Know any trappers???

Steeleco
11-29-2010, 05:27 PM
I just looked at the FVSA map, unless your in an area between Finn road to the east, Gilbert to the west and between Steveston south to the river or at the very east end of Richmond in the area of the Cranberry bog's your not allowed to discharge firearms at all.

Sleep Robber
11-29-2010, 05:38 PM
I just looked at the FVSA map, unless your in an area between Finn road to the east, Gilbert to the west and between Steveston south to the river or at the very east end of Richmond in the area of the Cranberry bog's your not allowed to discharge firearms at all.

I'm between 4 rd and 5 rd , on the north side of Steveston highway, there's nothing but blueberry fields for a mile behind my property,except for a trail.

Those by-laws are confusing :mrgreen: Am I correct in saying I can go to city hall and hand write an permit application ?? I'm confused :wink:

Pete
11-29-2010, 06:33 PM
There are ways to prevent coyotes from coming over or under your fence.

Sleep Robber
11-29-2010, 06:43 PM
There are ways to prevent coyotes from coming over or under your fence.

They can't go under, what's your ideas , I'm all ears !!

I've held back so far, but am losing my patience with the @#$%ers !! I'd like to just sit in the middle of the blueberry field with a box of shells, and giv er ! I've never broke any laws in all my years hunting, but.........

kyleklassen
11-29-2010, 06:48 PM
if your worried about your kids then they can shove thier by-laws. yah yah this will probably get deleted.

Sleep Robber
11-29-2010, 07:19 PM
No kids to worry about, but I treat the dog just the same, as it's part of our family too.

11-29-2010, 07:31 PM
Halibut hooks,baited 4ft above the ground,between posts,trees,check your line in the am with your CBs and smoke pole

ruger#1
11-29-2010, 07:34 PM
Halibut hooks,baited 4ft above the ground,between posts,trees,check your line in the am with your CBs and smoke poleHe wont have to check them in the morning. When one gets hooked he wont be able to sleep from all the noise.

Salty
11-29-2010, 07:37 PM
Halibut hooks,baited 4ft above the ground,between posts,trees,check your line in the am with your CBs and smoke pole

Good way to shishkabob the little dog, neighbours cats etc.

ruger#1
11-29-2010, 07:38 PM
Not to mention not very ethical.

11-29-2010, 07:45 PM
There is no ethics in getting rid of coyotes,little dogs make them 5ft high,they don't make much noise when tongue and lip are hooked

Sleep Robber
11-29-2010, 08:06 PM

It's funny you mention that, as I have commercial fished halibut, and actually have about 200 circle hooks with 4 ft gangons already tied in the basement :mrgreen:

I wouldn't use this method though. Man, your an evil bugger :twisted: :wink:

Pete
11-29-2010, 08:12 PM
A lot more than unethical. Why would anyone even consider a method like this.

lip_ripper00
11-29-2010, 08:17 PM
I grew up in Richmond (Sea Island) , my mon still lives at 4 an Francis. I think I know about where you are at. Best thing to do is ask Pete when his next trapping course is and take it, at least you will be going about it legally.

Sleep Robber
11-29-2010, 08:19 PM
A lot more than unethical. Why would anyone even consider a method like this.

Can you imagine going out there and finding your neighbors pooch hanging, let alone the coons and the rest of the vermin. Not for me I tell ya.

Gateholio
11-29-2010, 08:33 PM
T
I've held back so far, but am losing my patience with the @#$%ers !! I'd like to just sit in the middle of the blueberry field with a box of shells, and giv er ! I've never broke any laws in all my years hunting, but.........

So are you in a no shooting area?

Sleep Robber
11-29-2010, 08:59 PM
So are you in a no shooting area?

I'm pretty sure I am in the no shooting area. I'm gonna check for sure tomorrow.

I don't mind calling the CO's to fix the problem, it's just a matter of them showing up, that's all. They never showed when we called them about the coon problem we had a couple years back, didn't even call back. :confused: The coons moved on though, so it was no big deal.

Since posting this thread, I've had a fella get a hold of me, who is involved in Urban wildlife, so I may just see about that too.

I will not be shooting them if it isn't legal, I know that much.

Sooke Hunter
11-29-2010, 09:03 PM
That would work!!!

Sleep Robber
11-29-2010, 09:14 PM
That would work!!!

Got some already. but if it's not legal, I can't. That's the way I roll :wink:

Fishhound
11-29-2010, 09:36 PM
Call your municipal district or CO they should be able to set some live traps and catch them

Steeleco
11-29-2010, 09:38 PM
Yeah, your a little too far east and on the wrong side of the road. It's not worth getting caught and loosing stuff for a few scurvy dogs!!

Sleep Robber
11-29-2010, 09:43 PM
Call your municipal district or CO they should be able to set some live traps and catch them

This is the what I think will happen, we'll have to wait and see.

Sleep Robber
11-29-2010, 09:46 PM
Yeah, your a little too far east and on the wrong side of the road. It's not worth getting caught and loosing stuff for a few scurvy dogs!!

That's what I'm thinking too :wink:

boxhitch
11-29-2010, 10:42 PM
electric fence

Sleep Robber
11-29-2010, 11:01 PM
electric fence

I'm sure the neighborhood domestic animals would appreciate that.

Gun Dog
11-29-2010, 11:30 PM
I was going to say electric fence. I used it for years to keep the dogs from going over or under the fence (some were climbers and some were diggers). Animals hate being shocked. Keeps the raccoons away too. A lot more benign than 22s, arrows, traps & fish hooks.

boxhitch
11-30-2010, 12:03 AM
x2 gun dog
if it hits the neighborhood prowlers too, then thats a bonus.

Sleep Robber
11-30-2010, 12:10 AM
I was going to say electric fence. I used it for years to keep the dogs from going over or under the fence (some were climbers and some were diggers). Animals hate being shocked. Keeps the raccoons away too. A lot more benign than 22s, arrows, traps & fish hooks.

I'd like them gone permanently , rather than have them torment the dog from one side of the fence to the other. It's either death or relocation I'm afraid.

Sleep Robber
11-30-2010, 12:14 AM
x2 gun dog
if it hits the neighborhood prowlers too, then thats a bonus.

Not too many prowlers, or crackhead types around here, but if a stray WAS to come along, I'd rather deal with that on my own :twisted:

open-sights
11-30-2010, 12:18 AM
snares, I am not saying it is legal but there are ways to snare coyotes lagally. I bought a pile of them off e-bay years ago. Wouldn't recomend it if there are other dogs in your area, would hate to catch a domestic pet.

Sleep Robber
11-30-2010, 12:42 AM
snares, I am not saying it is legal but there are ways to snare coyotes lagally. I bought a pile of them off e-bay years ago. Wouldn't recomend it if there are other dogs in your area, would hate to catch a domestic pet.

Ya, there's other domestic dogs and cats around so I wouldn't want to do that.

I will add that I'm not one to go shooting/trapping coyotes randomly. I've never trapped them before and I've only shot them before, while hunting on a cattle ranch, where I was basically told by the ranch owner, "You see a coyote, bear, or wolf, shoot them immediately, no if's and's or but's, protect my #$%^ing herd".

west250
11-30-2010, 08:16 AM
It's funny you mention that, as I have commercial fished halibut, and actually have about 200 circle hooks with 4 ft gangons already tied in the basement :mrgreen:

I wouldn't use this method though. Man, your an evil bugger :twisted: :wink:

That's nasty business! .22 or crossbow would be most humane...If you were to go the law abiding road I would call the CO and ask his opinion..

nolan-sawka
11-30-2010, 09:06 AM
shotgun your allowed if its over 5 acers and you have a crop (blueberrys)

Mr. Dean
11-30-2010, 10:14 AM
*If* the CO gets involved, they'll send out a trapper. IMO you might as well circumvent them and hire one yourself. It'll be WAY faster - I know one farmer that's STILL waiting for an appointed trapper to rid his fields of a nuisance Beaver from 1 1/2 years ago.... Richmond is weird in their Hunting Bylaws; where you live, it would be FINE to discharge a shotty. Your Council Members are idiots. As are mine, here in Langley.

M.Dean
11-30-2010, 10:30 AM
Not that i or anyone I know would even try this stupid idea, but! If a man removed the screen from the window facing the Coyotes, then safely had a small table or bench set up in that room so a 22 Rifle bullet could be SAFELY fired from Inside the house, there would be very little sound! The area outside the window would have to be non accessible, so someone couldn't walk by when the round was fire. If it's done in a SAFE manner your Coyotes are dead! I heard a rumor of a guy doing just that down there, the Yodes were killing his chickens and trying to get his dog. The rumor mill say's he's using 22 shorts! And yes, if I knew who this Dirty Dog was, I'd phone the Police, CO's, my Member of Parliament, and even the Post Master General and have him thrown in jail!!! Some people's kids!!!

mijinkal
11-30-2010, 10:44 AM
I don't really understand why you feel that you need to get rid of them.
I don't think the coyotes will come into your yard unless you leave the lap dog out all night or if you give them any reason to want to be in your yard. As you said, they haven't been in your yard yet. Put an electric fence around the outer perimeter or beef up your existing fence if it really bothers you. If you see them, make them feel unwelcome and they'll go away.
I listen to coyotes every night at my house, they're part of the local wildlife and I'm used to them. They haven't attacked any of the livestock or pets around the property so I don't have a reason to kill them, nor do you.

I doubt that a CO will do anything because the coyotes haven't shown that they are a threat to anyone or your little dog. (coyote attacks on humans are extremely rare)

wickit
11-30-2010, 06:25 PM
Go and get your trapper's licsence problem solved. Stomp your own snakes.

Mr. Dean
12-01-2010, 12:44 AM
I don't think the coyotes will come into your yard unless you leave the lap dog out all night or if you give them any reason to want to be in your yard. As you said, they haven't been in your yard yet. Put an electric fence around the outer perimeter or beef up your existing fence if it really bothers you. If you see them, make them feel unwelcome and they'll go away.
I listen to coyotes every night at my house, they're part of the local wildlife and I'm used to them. They haven't attacked any of the livestock or pets around the property so I don't have a reason to kill them, nor do you.

I doubt that a CO will do anything because the coyotes haven't shown that they are a threat to anyone or your little dog. (coyote attacks on humans are extremely rare)

Out where I live, we get them on the back upper deck AND they have been known to run up to our vehicles and literally nose the door handles. They get 'sketchy/brazen', particularly when a longer cold snap hits. Their population is outta control because of silly restrictions set forth by even yet, sillier politicians. If ya got 5 acres of property, there's NO REASON why you can't safely discharge a shotgun!

We used to have a nice population of Pheasants. Then the yotes spiked... Haven't seen one since 1995 but CONSTANTLY have yotes now. FWIW, we've lived here since 1987 and I am not embellishing.

Sleep Robber
12-01-2010, 07:23 PM

I think your being a bit naive, if you think a coyote won't come into someones yard, a pet being there or not. I have chased them away many times, only to look back 5 minutes later and see them again. I don't want to build my fence up any more than it is already, I shouldn't have to. I also doubt the CO would do anything, being as half the time they don't show up anyway.

Although the electric fence is a good idea, I would rather not have one there.

Update:

As I said in my first post , the blueberry farm is owned by my neighbor, so I went and talked to him. He pointed it out to me that he doesn't need a permit, even though we are within the closed area of the municipality.

Here is the reason.

Under by-law 4183, 7-A, a person may discharge a firearm within the municipality without first obtaining a permit therefor when,

:arrow: He is engaged in a farm operation, and the firearm is discharged for the purpose of protecting his crops or livestock from birds or animals.

He said he has done so in the past, as a 75 acre blueberry farm is definitely considered a crop and that I am more than welcome to access his land, for the purpose of ridding the yote problem. As long as I have permission from {him}the land owner, and I am of legal stature {proper license etc}, I am totally within the law. He also mentioned that in the past, the coyotes were a big problem for his berry pickers, they were everywhere and made the employees nervous. He and some of his hands have had to shoot some of them in the past, which I didn't know of, but was glad to hear.

Thanks for all the replies gang.

mijinkal
12-02-2010, 09:51 AM
Sleep Robber, I think that you're the one that's being naive. From what you have said, the coyotes haven't done anything aggressive towards you, your family, or your dog and have not become a problem, even for the berry grower. The only thing they're doing wrong in your situation is that there living near your house and scaring you.
Your little dog is in just as much danger of getting taken out by an owl if you left it out at night, are you going to go around shooting them too?

I am in support of controlling the coyote population if they become a problem, but they're not in your situation.
You're right about the CO, they probably won't do anything because there are no grounds to control the population where you are, just like your raccoon problem. You should call them and get their opinion on the matter, they'll probably discourage you from shooting them too.

Here's a little reading you should do before you go shooting coyotes out of your back yard. http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/cos/info/wildlife_human_interaction/docs/coyotes.html (http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/cos/info/wildlife_human_interaction/docs/coyotes.html)

Mr. Dean, I think 5 acres is a little small to be allowed to shoot a shotgun. I live on 10 square acres and I wouldn't feel comfortable if my neighbors were shooting a shotgun at coyotes running around. Every property's layout is different though.

Sleep Robber
12-02-2010, 10:50 AM
Sleep Robber, I think that you're the one that's being naive. From what you have said, the coyotes haven't done anything aggressive towards you, your family, or your dog and have not become a problem, even for the berry grower. The only thing they're doing wrong in your situation is that there living near your house and scaring you.
Your little dog is in just as much danger of getting taken out by an owl if you left it out at night, are you going to go around shooting them too?

I am in support of controlling the coyote population if they become a problem, but they're not in your situation.
You're right about the CO, they probably won't do anything because there are no grounds to control the population where you are, just like your raccoon problem. You should call them and get their opinion on the matter, they'll probably discourage you from shooting them too.

Here's a little reading you should do before you go shooting coyotes out of your back yard. http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/cos/info/wildlife_human_interaction/docs/coyotes.html (http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/cos/info/wildlife_human_interaction/docs/coyotes.html)

Mr. Dean, I think 5 acres is a little small to be allowed to shoot a shotgun. I live on 10 square acres and I wouldn't feel comfortable if my neighbors were shooting a shotgun at coyotes running around. Every property's layout is different though.

I respect your opinion, however, I disagree, therefor the termination is imminent. :). By the way, thanks for the link. I like this one the best.....

If concerned about a coyote encounter or about encountering aggressive coyotes, keep a deterrent handy.

I have a real good deterrent. :mrgreen: Just figuring out what one I want to use, is the only decision I need to make now.

ruger#1
12-02-2010, 10:57 AM

Mr. Dean, I think 5 acres is a little small to be allowed to shoot a shotgun. I live on 10 square acres and I wouldn't feel comfortable if my neighbors were shooting a shotgun at coyotes running around. Every property's layout is different though.You come out to the farm when the heifers are calving, And watch a coyote pull a calve out that is being born. That will change your tune. No pheasants or foxxes and getting to be less grouse thanks to the coydogs. They are not even a true coyote unless you go up country.

Mr. Dean
12-02-2010, 10:58 AM
........Mr. Dean, I think 5 acres is a little small to be allowed to shoot a shotgun. I live on 10 square acres and I wouldn't feel comfortable if my neighbors were shooting a shotgun at coyotes running around. Every property's layout is different though.

All a shotty is, is a pellet gun that's on vitamins. Shot that's fired @ 1550 fps, ain't going all that far. When one is used in a safe manner, adhering to law that covers buildings and such, it's a perfectly safe enviourment. Municipalities that surround us (Surrey, Abby, Mission...) have the 5 acre mandate in place and things have run pretty smooth with the Waterfowlers, Pheasant, Yote, Rabbit Hunters,,,, for years. Hell, in Langley, we're not even ALLOWED to hunt, period! No matter what size of land you own.

As for the LM Yote populations; How many do you see that look in 'prime' condition? I see perhaps 1 in 5 (or so) that aren't stricken with the highly contagious disease, mange. I've talked with the CO's about our problem dogs and sadly, there ain't all that much that can be done because of where we live. It was agreed that something NEEDED to be done because of not only the direct problems that they were causing, but also because of the health (or lack thereof) of the population, as a conservation measure.

IMO, trapping them here is out of the question. It would be more suiting AND ethical, to just snipe them away. My reasoning is twofold: 1stly, I don't wanna see the neighbours pets succumbing to a snare. 2ndly, only the 'problem' dogs would be targeted. Alas, though, I will be helping out a couple farmers in, Surrey and Abbotsford this winter, with a little Conservation Effort. Just because I'm screwed, I shouldn't wish ill thoughts on my troubled neighbours. :wink: :wink:

takla1
12-02-2010, 01:12 PM
I grew up hunting them in the sixties,22 long rifle.For every 1 cyotte you see there will be 10 more in that general area.A female can have 5-10 pups per litter,somethimes 2 litters a yr...the math is adding up.Unless you dont have a job and can hunt steady you will never put a dent in the population.Even if you kill all the yotts on your property they will still flood in from your nabours.Plus these dogs are hard to hunt.they patern you as a hunter and any noise and there gone!

Sleep Robber
12-02-2010, 01:46 PM
I grew up hunting them in the sixties,22 long rifle.For every 1 cyotte you see there will be 10 more in that general area.A female can have 5-10 pups per litter,somethimes 2 litters a yr...the math is adding up.Unless you dont have a job and can hunt steady you will never put a dent in the population.Even if you kill all the yotts on your property they will still flood in from your nabours.Plus these dogs are hard to hunt.they patern you as a hunter and any noise and there gone!

My take on this is to shoot every one I can find then, or they'll be calling it a coyote farm instead of a blueberry farm .

From what your saying then, a good supply of stealth and shells are in order. I have the shells, and look forward to the challenge. :wink:

takla1
12-02-2010, 02:20 PM
yes sleep robber you will have your hands full.If you cant shoot them from your house then you will have to sneak up on them,your wind HAS to be right,and make no noise period.When i was a kid id get home from school and the first thing id do is grab my rifle and go down to the fields,i grew up on 500 acres in s.surrey.If everything was right i might have an opportunity to shoot about 1 out of every 3 stocks and it was a long walk out there.That being said i loved the challenge that they presented.Now living over in Mission we here them every evening from spring till end of summer.I shot a cyott a few weeks back that was fat and healthy and he brought back lots of fond memories!

Sleep Robber
12-02-2010, 02:37 PM
yes sleep robber you will have your hands full.If you cant shoot them from your house then you will have to sneak up on them,your wind HAS to be right,and make no noise period.When i was a kid id get home from school and the first thing id do is grab my rifle and go down to the fields,i grew up on 500 acres in s.surrey.If everything was right i might have an opportunity to shoot about 1 out of every 3 stocks and it was a long walk out there.That being said i loved the challenge that they presented.Now living over in Mission we here them every evening from spring till end of summer.I shot a cyott a few weeks back that was fat and healthy and he brought back lots of fond memories!

My plan is to sit and wait in a position that gives me a good view of the main corridor that leads to the blueberry isles. I see their tracks all congregate at one certain area, before they enter the isles. Another tactic is to just every so slowly, walk the corridor and peak down the isles as I approach every one. When it's half ass decent weather, they tend to stick around the two bit trail that the pickers have made. In the summer, they sit on this trail and sun themselves, as it has a good layer of mulch on it, and seem to like it. I'm positive I can nail a few anyway.

takla1
12-02-2010, 03:38 PM
Its funny i told my wife when we retire and move out of the lowermainland i want about 20 acres with a nice flat hay field out back up against crown land with a window thats opens into the field.Thats where my fav chair will be with my gun safe right next to it!!

takla1
12-02-2010, 03:46 PM
by the way, cyotts are most active just at dawn and just before dusk,thats when you want to be set up.Also you can buy a cassette player and purchase a rabbit in distress tape to play by rempte if you can.Also make sure your set up is downwind of thier location and practice shooting at your desired distance,groups of 2 inches at 100 yrd should do.theyre usually skinny buggers under that fur,mind you the one i shot a couple weeks back was fat,and young,good shiney teeth on him,but aim for the center of mass behind the shoulder and they dont go far.

hillclimber
12-02-2010, 03:54 PM
If you are looking for any assistance let me know! Your less than a 2 minute drive from my place! I see lots of yotes there especially in the summer. Plus I would like to work on my coyote calling:mrgreen:

sim
12-10-2010, 08:31 PM
Sleep Robber, your post is the main reason I wound up visiting hunting forums, since I found myself with a tiny dog last year, and in the woods with coyotes. It got me to take hunting education in Georgia, but since then I've moved back to the Okanagan, and am now with this little dog in a fenceless rental backed by orchard and field inhabited by many deer, quail, marmots, etc. They got my cat and one of the neighbor's dogs as soon as we moved in, (prior tenants had a wolf hybrid that evidently must have kept coyotes at bay before). I didn't realize they were here, but, now I am on my own having to run them out of the yard and driveway.

I get a bit of help from two german shepherds in the next property, but they are in at night for their safety. This morning a coyote was between their house and mine, doing a continual challenge howl, I ran him towards the shepherds, they ran him up over the hill, he continued his sounding from the field below there. The GSDs are smart enough to stay home. I climbed the lookout, I didn't have my 'bear banger' or anything, I just eyeballed him, when he noticed me he took off, but halfway across the field he realized I wasn't posing any further threat and idled off the rest of the way.

I'll say I've been 'marking' (ya like a dog) these farmers orchards near my place pretty religiously for a few weeks, evidently there's no point doing that.

I gave the one neighbor some reading material on livestock guarding dogs as coyote control, he's pretty territorial and don't want me prowling around, none of the farmers do although I think that I could secure permission to clear the area in the morning for my dog's sake. If I can't then I plan to take up mining.

I had my name and number waiting on a call from conservation, which never came. Neighbor says he has a permit to shoot them, but I'd like to see it (or hear it).

Until I get my s### together, I am wondering if I have to go through CORE if I have a US state education, and meantime if I can at least use a slingshot??? So far I am just charging them like a stupid rottweiler. The point is these dogs are smart, they will know I'm all bark and no bite, so I want to actually be able to somehow make them 'feel me', also I'm a smoker and don't sprint too good. I just want to protect my dog too.

Until yours is together, let me know if you want me to put you in touch with an east Van person who has a young Anatolian shepherd who might wind up looking for work. He's being well socialized with people and pets, but went totally rank when they crossed a coyote one night, like I think it's in their blood still. I don't think 75 acres is enough to keep such dogs, but there's a possibility the farmer could allow owners to walk such dogs there dusks and dawns? The Coppingers who wrote dog books imported them to the US in the 70's for ranchers to evaluate, now they're trickling into urban shelters and even homes and halfbreeds. They are really cool, not exactly your average dog.

I'm going to find time to go through threads to learn more about Okanagan coyotes, maybe how to trail them home and make them sorry they come to mine, and continue efforts at aversion 'hazing' that I wish everyone in town did.

Oh, the other thing I'm not sure I heard mentioned is for fences, along the top, 'coyote rollers', where you extend lengths of pipe along the top in sections, and enclose them in loose pvc pipe, such that when the animal's front paws try to grab the top they roll off. I think I heard that can be effective since that's they way they climb higher fences anyway. But ya fences aren't particularly effective, and why should we stay imprisoned in little zoos while the coyotes take over everything.

oh PS Can someone pls clue me what is SSS so I can start to get the awkward newbie stuff overwith?

TimberPig
12-10-2010, 09:02 PM
Until I get my s### together, I am wondering if I have to go through CORE if I have a US state education, and meantime if I can at least use a slingshot???

oh PS Can someone pls clue me what is SSS so I can start to get the awkward newbie stuff overwith?

Your US hunter education should be equivalent to BC's CORE. Generally any North American hunter safety training is considered equivalent to their own in most jurisdictions. You just need your certificate or whatever plus proof of BC residency, then go see the Government Agent.

SSS- Shoot, Shovel and Shut Up, not the legal method, but the best one to solve problems in many cases.

Pre '64
12-12-2010, 05:15 PM
here's an idea. know a machinist?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GbjXvH7xJA

Camp Cook
12-12-2010, 05:35 PM
I was talking to the CO's in Alberta they told me their rifle cartridge of choice for taking out urban coyotes was the mightly 17HMR...

They are amazingly accurate my buddy has shot coyotes with his out to 100 yards.

Another thought is to wait till your neighbour is firing off his noise cannons and shoot the coyotes then...

:D

Yotapup
12-12-2010, 07:51 PM
even if the .22 rounds were heard, locals would probably think it's a bunch of kids with firecrackers :D

AT&T
12-13-2010, 08:52 AM
here's an idea. know a machinist?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GbjXvH7xJA

I know this is a bit off topic. I for one would target shoot alot more on my property if it wasnt for the noise. I just dont want to aggrivate my neighbors. Too bad it is against the law. Wonder why.

AT&T
12-13-2010, 08:59 AM

Now this makes sense. I cannot see how coyotes can hurt a berry patch. I dont mind them around but I dont have chickens.

AT&T
12-13-2010, 10:45 AM
I also think that putting up baited fish hooks is cruel and distgusting. There is more humane ways to deal with a coyote.

Sleep Robber
12-13-2010, 11:03 AM
Now this makes sense. I cannot see how coyotes can hurt a berry patch. I dont mind them around but I dont have chickens.

Update, the neighbor who owns the land said his son has shot 2 in the last couple of days :-D I asked him where and he said that both were shot mere meters away from his tractor that is parked on the border of his lawn and where the patch starts.This is good news, as I've been too damn busy and haven't been able to get out there yet :icon_frow and I can still hear them nightly and they sound very close as always.

For the guys that think these coyotes are not a bother.........think again..............it's not the effin berry patch we're worried about, it's the domestic cats and dogs that people have in the vicinity of the said patch. It's only a matter of time before they kill one of the domestic pets. Would you rather that happen before we start shooting the effin things ??

Maybe I'm wrong here, but the last thing I'd thought I'd hear was a couple guys saying that they're not a bother and we should be leaving them alone.

To all the other guys, I thank you for the positive response, and will make sure I take some pics of my {fingers crossed} kills.

Peace and everybody have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

Sleep Robber :wink:

steve62
12-13-2010, 11:19 AM
I live in the bush in the middle of nowhere. "middle of MU 6-4" I have 99chickens I have turkeys. I have not lost any to Yotes. If you kill them they bred more. If you train them yes train they can be controled. I do not shoot them, I shoot near them to scare them off. I have not seen one on my place in the last four years. They have learnt to give me a wide berth.

mijinkal
12-13-2010, 11:37 AM
It's only a matter of time before they kill one of the domestic pets. Would you rather that happen before we start shooting the effin things ??

Keep your pets indoors if they can't handle themselves outside!

Maybe you should also bring out your shotgun and start blasting awat at the eagles too. They've been known to attack dogs.

http://articles.cnn.com/2002-03-24/us/eagle.dachshund_1_ava-bald-eagle-cruelty?_s=PM:US

Sleep Robber
12-13-2010, 11:38 AM
I live in the bush in the middle of nowhere. "middle of MU 6-4" I have 99chickens I have turkeys. I have not lost any to Yotes. If you kill them they bred more. If you train them yes train they can be controled. I do not shoot them, I shoot near them to scare them off. I have not seen one on my place in the last four years. They have learnt to give me a wide berth.

I'm happy for you, but maybe there's a difference between yotes that live in the middle of nowhere and the ones that live in the lower mainland rural areas. I imagine their food source is much greater where you live than down here, although there is an abundance of rats and other critters here as well. I dunno, just a thought. The fact is, no matter how much these ones have been chased off, they still come back around, and will be terminated. A dead coyote has a rough time breeding IMO.

Sleep Robber
12-13-2010, 11:57 AM
Keep your pets indoors if they can't handle themselves outside!

Maybe you should also bring out your shotgun and start blasting awat at the eagles too. They've been known to attack dogs.

http://articles.cnn.com/2002-03-24/us/eagle.dachshund_1_ava-bald-eagle-cruelty?_s=PM:US

So every person that has a small dog or cat around here should keep it indoors and not be able to let it out, into their own yard.:confused: It's my effin yard buddy, and if something threatens our pets, I'll kill it, if legal to do so. I had an eagle try to scoop my old dog while fishing a sand bar before, but never from a yard, but my take on eagles is a lot different than mangy coyotes, and besides, i don't see to many eagles flying in and around my yard either.

By the way,I hear Greenpeace is looking for recruitment's :roll:

steve62
12-13-2010, 12:00 PM
I just thought I would share my experince. I do not care if you kill them, fill your boots. I have lots of city boy's come up to visit want to shoot critters for fun. I tell them the samething everytime go ahead shoot anything you want. BUT if you shoot it your going to EAT IT.

yum yum

Sleep Robber
12-13-2010, 12:04 PM
I just thought I would share my experince. I do not care if you kill them, fill your boots. I have lots of city boy's come up to visit want to shoot critters for fun. I tell them the samething everytime go ahead shoot anything you want. BUT if you shoot it your going to EAT IT.

yum yum

I hear ya, and thanks for the reply Steve. Maybe I'll get them made into some garlic/beer sausage and pepperoni etc.. This way I can give it away as Christmas presents to my not so friendly in-laws. :mrgreen:

budismyhorse
12-13-2010, 12:06 PM
I hear ya, and thanks for the reply Steve. Maybe I'll get them made into some garlic/beer sausage and pepperoni etc.. This way I can give it away as Christmas presents to my not so friendly in-laws. :mrgreen:

wicked!! Let us know how that goes!! yummy......

mijinkal
12-13-2010, 12:12 PM
you're right sleep robber. I'm shure Richmond would be a lot safer place if all the immigrants started shooting anything that threatened their pets.

I have a fence , but the coyotes could still climb over if they wanted to, and I'm afraid my daughters little lap dog is eventually going to become a snack. I see them at the fence all the time

What would you do if your neighbor had a big scary looking dog that you "saw at the fence all the time?"

Sleep Robber
12-13-2010, 12:26 PM
you're right sleep robber. I'm shure Richmond would be a lot safer place if all the immigrants started shooting anything that threatened their pets.

What would you do if your neighbor had a big scary looking dog that you "saw at the fence all the time?"

I'm no immigrant, but ya, all the power to them.

My neighbor happens to have a big scary dog, and it plays with my kids dog all the time.

I bought and lived in this place since 91 and if you think I'm gonna let some yote dictate when I can let our dog out into the yard, your dreaming. Maybe you should read elsewhere if you find these actions against your liking, or like I said, maybe give ol' Paul Watson a call, he's always looking for guys like you, hahahahaha

AT&T
12-13-2010, 12:36 PM

yum yum

Eat it oh ya, really. Well let me tell you. Shot a wolf a little while ago. skidded it back to the house. Skinned it out. Later that night dropped the body off in the bush. Next day after sitting down for dinner my lady looks at me, also a wolf lover and says Remember when I told you everything you shot you would have to eat!!

So yes I have now eaten wolf back straps. I just didnt notice till it was too late.

AT&T
12-13-2010, 12:44 PM
A good point made right off the bat with Sleep Robber was he lived in the lower mainland. For some of us who live on large pieces of wildlife property our views can be different. I see coyotes a fair amount off the back porch. Most of the time they are out pouncing for mice and not a hassle at all. If one has an issue then deal with it. From a coastal point of view I tend to view urban coyotes like park black bears. Not that wild anymore. Must be treated differently. Who needs a kid being dragged off. It is happening more all the time.
I still think the fish hook idea is terrible. Besides bullets are more fun.

ruger#1
12-13-2010, 12:58 PM

What would you do if your neighbor had a big scary looking dog that you "saw at the fence all the time?" You must live in a town house or a high rise. A pack of coyotes will kill a dog, cats , lambs and cattle. I have had first hand experience with them killing a dog. And also know what they do to the calves during calving season. So knock it off and start a thread on how you would like to save the coyotes. Stir shit in another place.

mijinkal
12-13-2010, 02:26 PM
You must live in a town house or a high rise. A pack of coyotes will kill a dog, cats , lambs and cattle. I have had first hand experience with them killing a dog. And also know what they do to the calves during calving season. So knock it off and start a thread on how you would like to save the coyotes. Stir shit in another place.

nope, I live on 10 acres in South Langley. It's a little more in touch with nature than the suburbs of Richmond.
I may be stirring the pot a little, but hunting season's over for me and we need to talk about something, right?

Part of me just hates lap dogs and would prefer it if the coyotes thinned out the population a little.
Good luck with your hunting, I hope you get them before your dog becomes a snack.

sleep robber, you're right, I'm with PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals)

AT&T
12-13-2010, 03:08 PM
nope, I live on 10 acres in South Langley. It's a little more in touch with nature than the suburbs of Richmond.
I may be stirring the pot a little, but hunting season's over for me and we need to talk about something, right?

Part of me just hates lap dogs and would prefer it if the coyotes thinned out the population a little.
Good luck with your hunting, I hope you get them before your dog becomes a snack.

This a good post. I remember south Langley back in the 60's We chased bears and black bears all over the place back then. I am sure there is more coyotes there now than we back when

ruger#1
12-13-2010, 03:26 PM
This a good post. I remember south Langley back in the 60's We chased bears and black bears all over the place back then. I am sure there is more coyotes there now than we back whenWell I would rather see a good population of red fox. Thanks to the coyote they are gone. Maybe it would be a good idea to bring wolves into the valley. They would clean the coyotes and everything else out. Last time I seen a red fox here in the eastern part of the Fraser valley was 35 years ago.

Sleep Robber
12-13-2010, 03:35 PM

I'm not a fan of the lap dogs myself, but my late father bought it for my daughter and it kind of grows on ya after a while, besides it's cuter than hell and has become a good addition to the family.

P.E.T.A eh ? Well then you won't mind if I chuck a nice bloody one on your porch. I hear they can be delightful, when corned with the right brine :mrgreen:

Stir the shit somewhere else now and have a Merry Christmas.

Sleep Robber
12-13-2010, 03:42 PM
Well I would rather see a good population of red fox. Thanks to the coyote they are gone. Maybe it would be a good idea to bring wolves into the valley. They would clean the coyotes and everything else out. Last time I seen a red fox here in the eastern part of the Fraser valley was 35 years ago.

Just seen a Red Fox walk past the window supporting a DD rack too. Definitely Book Class, and a breeder as well, things are looking up. :mrgreen:

ruger#1
12-13-2010, 03:57 PM
Just seen a Red Fox walk past the window supporting a DD rack too. Definitely Book Class, and a breeder as well, things are looking up. :mrgreen:You better have pictures to back this up. I want to see this. Get a pic in the summer time. It would be a lot better.

Sleep Robber
12-13-2010, 04:15 PM
You better have pictures to back this up. I want to see this. Get a pic in the summer time. It would be a lot better.

I'll try my best, but until then this will have to do,

http://www.ervhunt.com/Redheads-Not-Woodpeckers/Readheads /444031_xmYmv/23/566902275_KY98n#566902275_KY98n (http://www.ervhunt.com/Redheads-Not-Woodpeckers/Readheads/444031_xmYmv/23/566902275_KY98n#566902275_KY98n)

ruger#1
12-13-2010, 04:33 PM
Very nice. I made a new folder called yummy. That is where I saved it. Very nice. Thanks.

Jimsue
12-13-2010, 05:09 PM
Spick and Span in a plastic bag tied to your fence posts every 30 feet or so, they won't come near it.

Sleep Robber
12-13-2010, 05:13 PM
Spick and Span in a plastic bag tied to your fence posts every 30 feet or so, they won't come near it.

Tell me more please, what does it do :confused:

Jimsue
12-13-2010, 05:36 PM
the smell of the amonia (spelling? ) they won't cross into another packs terittory is what I was told. I never lost a lamb after I started doing it, I still see other farmers with bags on there posts out here in Langley, it works!!

Sleep Robber
12-13-2010, 05:43 PM
the smell of the amonia (spelling? ) they won't cross into another packs terittory is what I was told. I never lost a lamb after I started doing it, I still see other farmers with bags on there posts out here in Langley, it works!!

Seriously?? Seems like something I'd like to try if so, thanks for the tip !!

Still gonna get me some though :twisted: :wink:

Mr. Dean
12-14-2010, 12:22 AM
mijinkal;
Just a thought - Why not take a L:smile::smile:K into what is being said? You seem to be posting your feelings, and very often, reality is very different.

Like I said; it's just a thought...... But there's reasons which are sound, why yotes are on a NBL in reg 2. :wink:

mijinkal
12-14-2010, 10:16 AM
I HEAR what you're saying Mr. Dean. I hope he makes sound decisions that are unseen by the general public.
There's a time and place for whacking yotes, choose it wisely.
Near the edge of a subdivision in Richmond might not be the best place.

I don't think I'm really stirring the pot that much guys. I'm just opening up a debate. I didn't even bring out the big wooden spoon.

Now, back to the foxy photos from the yummy folder.

Oh, and BTW, I don't hate all lap dogs. Just the little fluffy ones that are carried around in purses and wear sweaters.

ruger#1
12-14-2010, 10:48 AM
I am on 186 acres, Must be why I do not care. It is also in a rifle zone. Three weeks ago my buddy toasted one with his 300 Weatherby Mag. Stupid thing watched us for 5 minutes. Now his eyes are closed.

anglo-saxon
12-14-2010, 12:54 PM
I'm sure the neighborhood domestic animals would appreciate that.

So I guess a bucket of antifreese is out of the question then? :-D

Sleep Robber
12-14-2010, 01:13 PM
I HEAR what you're saying Mr. Dean. I hope he makes sound decisions that are unseen by the general public.
There's a time and place for whacking yotes, choose it wisely.
Near the edge of a subdivision in Richmond might not be the best place.

I don't think I'm really stirring the pot that much guys. I'm just opening up a debate. I didn't even bring out the big wooden spoon.

Now, back to the foxy photos from the yummy folder.

Oh, and BTW, I don't hate all lap dogs. Just the little fluffy ones that are carried around in purses and wear sweaters.

Hey a$$hole, you've been stirring the pot from the get go, now F OFF, it's time to go hug your tree, with the rest of em. And by the way, I'm not in an effin subdivision, so get your facts straight, before you decide to beek off any more, peta boy. And another thing, I saw your "save the lap dog" comment on the other thread too, so who you trying to kid, your nothing but a lurker who likes to stir up shit, so go do it somewhere else ya little prick.

rocksteady
12-14-2010, 01:22 PM
Wow this thread sure has gone sideways:roll::roll:

Opinions vary from:
Halibut hooks (not very ethical)
Links to youtube silencers (highly illegal in Canada)
Mention of antifreeze (not ethical nor selective, as well as pretty inhumane)
Leave them alone, part of nature (Lets eat our young here guys)
Calling the Municipality or CO Service
Bait pile and land mines (was waiting for this option)

We should a poll on here similar to the "Hunting mistake: Self Report or Walk Away" discussion on the above noted options.....and see how this one plays out.....There are rules and bylaws over this area, SO, if the OP did something illegal would this make him a "poacher"......Think it over for a bit....

Here is a thought for you.....

Where your property backs onto the neighbours is there any decent cover??? Like a windrow of trees or such????

You could always build a bait pile, hang a tree stand and use a crossbow or maybe a shotgun to deal with them??? If you are up a tree and shoot, lot less chance of an errant pellet going somewhere you do not want it to?????

go to Predatorhuntcanada for bait pile recipes....

J_T
12-14-2010, 01:31 PM
Hey a$$hole, you've been stirring the pot from the get go, now F OFF, it's time to go hug your tree, with the rest of em. And by the way, I'm not in an effin subdivision, so get your facts straight, before you decide to beek off any more, peta boy. And another thing, I saw your "save the lap dog" comment on the other thread too, so who you trying to kid, your nothing but a lurker who likes to stir up shit, so go do it somewhere else ya little prick.
That's probably gotta earn ya some time in the corner. Don't ya think? Regardless of what someone has said.

weatherby_man
12-14-2010, 01:41 PM
That's probably gotta earn ya some time in the corner. Don't ya think? Regardless of what someone has said.

Ya that was harsh,,,,

mijinkal
12-14-2010, 01:41 PM

wow! good for you, do you feel better now?

I'm not going to get into an internet name calling fight with you., so I'm taking the high road.
If you want to talk further after your time-out, PM me.

I would apologize if I was out of line at all, but I was just looking at the issue from a different point of view. What's wrong with a little debate?

Sleep Robber
12-14-2010, 01:44 PM
Wow this thread sure has gone sideways:roll::roll:

Here is a thought for you.....

Where your property backs onto the neighbours is there any decent cover??? Like a windrow of trees or such????

You could always build a bait pile, hang a tree stand and use a crossbow or maybe a shotgun to deal with them??? If you are up a tree and shoot, lot less chance of an errant pellet going somewhere you do not want it to?????

go to Predatorhuntcanada for bait pile recipes....

There is a couple trees that are in the vicinity of the main corridor that they use quite a bit, so it's a good idea. Although I don't have a tree stand, I'm sure I can make McGiver something up. And just so you's all know,I don't plan on shooting "anything" if I thought it would be an endangerment to anything or anybody. Thought I better make that clear.:wink:

Thanks for the link Rock, and sorry you's had to read that, but I've had enough from him and his BS. If he doesn't have anything positive to add to the thread, he should just leave.

My apologizes for the name calling :oops:

Steeleco
12-14-2010, 01:50 PM
I hope you get a resolve to your yote problem, but this thread has run it's course. Closed!!