PDA

View Full Version : Woves after the kill??

Wagonmaster
11-29-2010, 11:09 AM
This may have been discussed before, but my search revealed no results. After shooting a wolf, is it illegal to leave the carcass in the bush? The only mention that I could see in the regs was that the kill must be reported if it occurred in Region 1, 2, or 4. Even there, it does not stipulate whether the animal must be removed to a place of residence. Where wolf populations are getting high, with the resulting negative effects on ungulate populations, it would seem like the thing to do when possible.

blacktail_junkie
11-29-2010, 12:58 PM
It has been mentioned on here before, somewhere. It must be removed to place of residence or transfered to a trapper etc etc. If you cant find it in the regs search the wolf threads on here someone had cut and pasted it to a thread.

Wagonmaster
11-29-2010, 03:43 PM
Read quite a few threads on wolves and still have not had my question answered. If one has no interest in having a wolf hide or mount, is it legal to kill a wolf and leave it in the bush?

Phil A. Bowl
11-29-2010, 03:47 PM
My question would be why would you Waste an animal..:(:evil:. If it is not illegal(which I am sure it is) it should be

todbartell
11-29-2010, 04:11 PM
being a fur bearing animal, the hide must be taken

Tenacious Billy
11-29-2010, 04:38 PM
Take the hide home with you. Once you're home, you can do whatever you want with it.........

Ddog
11-29-2010, 05:07 PM
My question would be why would you Waste an animal..:(:evil:. If it is not illegal(which I am sure it is) it should be

what are you referring to as illegal? killing a wolf, or just not removing the carcass.
if you read the post in his opinion where ungulate populations are effected by wolf populations, it would be the thing to do to lower the wolf population if had the chance.

Phil A. Bowl
11-29-2010, 05:56 PM
I refer to the thought of walking around the bush taking shots at animals just to kill for fun because you think that will help your chances of baggin different animals.. Maybe i am uneducated but sounds dumb to me.....

Ddog
11-29-2010, 06:00 PM
I refer to the thought of walking around the bush taking shots at animals just to kill for fun because you think that will help your chances of baggin different animals.. Maybe i am uneducated but sounds dumb to me.....

perhaps, but it was not mentioned at all about any kind of hopes to bag a different animal or doing it for fun.

Phil A. Bowl
11-29-2010, 06:24 PM
why kill them then?

The Dawg
11-29-2010, 06:28 PM
why kill them then?

Predator control.

In some regions, there is no bag limit for a reason.

Moose Guide
11-29-2010, 06:51 PM
why kill them then?

I have seen over 40 cow elk in the last 3 weeks and I haven't see any calves!!!!
Our elk, deer and moose herds are taking a beating and I will shoot every wolf I legaly can!!!

Phil A. Bowl
11-29-2010, 06:57 PM
cant be doing to bad with 40 cows running around or did you see 100 last year.I am not saying i am against control but I am against just killing for fun.I am sure there are people who do hunt wolf not just shoot wolf. At some point you have to quit playing god for your own reason.

Moose Guide
11-29-2010, 08:05 PM
cant be doing to bad with 40 cows running around or did you see 100 last year.I am not saying i am against control but I am against just killing for fun.I am sure there are people who do hunt wolf not just shoot wolf. At some point you have to quit playing god for your own reason.

The point is that if the calves are already gone the cows are next so the herd(already struggling) will get a big downsizing this year!!! The wolves went to a local farm last week and killed 5 domestic sheep and didn't eat them!
If our wolf pack(13 animals or more) kill 2 elk a week, thats going to be about 30-40 cows out of a population of 200 or so.

gwillim
11-29-2010, 08:35 PM
I looked this up last year. The regs do state that it is illegal to kill a wolf and not remove the hide. Sorry I'm too lazy to find the page reference.

buck slayer 642
11-29-2010, 08:57 PM
well if you even want to eat the wolfes miss well eat a rock but other than that it is legal

Billyisgr8
11-29-2010, 09:59 PM
at what point is it legal to leave it in the field? How much damage has to be done to the pelt to make it non salvagable? Ex..the whole back end was blown off? Or does the law state in any case the hide has to be removed no matter on damage to hide? I don't know the regs about wolves cause I will never shoot one unless it is attacking me, but I thought I would post this question for those who might not think to ask about this.

boxhitch
11-29-2010, 10:27 PM
in the regs
no mention of damage or portions

"of grizzly bear, cougar, or a furbearing animal other than a black bear, the hide must be removed to the persons normal dwelling place, or to a meat cutter, cold storage plant, taxidermist, tanner, or a fur trader."

Wolves and coyotes are both fur bearing animals

Old Crow
11-29-2010, 10:29 PM
Page 91 of the Regs: Pretty easy to find, actually:

Removal of Edible Portions and Hide

...........Of grizzly
bear, cougar or a fur bearing animal other
than a black bear, the hide must be removed
to the person’s normal dwelling place or
to a meat cutter, the owner or operator
of a cold storage plant or to a taxidermist,
tanner or a fur trader. A person who kills
wildlife is exempted from the requirement
to remove the hide if that person transfers
possession of the wildlife to another person
who complies with the requirement.

hunter1947
11-30-2010, 03:44 AM
Hats off to the registered trappers its these people that help control the wolf population ,all you hunters out there that hunt a region that has a hi population of wolves if you can legally shoot a wolf then do shot them ,its called controlling the wolf population.

The only way we can control the wolf population is by trapping them or the hunter shooting them..

Wagonmaster
11-30-2010, 12:04 PM
Old Crow, the section you quote on page 91 (trappers section) also appears on page 18. I'm just not convinced that the intent of this "law" includes predator control. It would seem rather pointless to spend hours removing the hide of a wolf and take it home only to throw it in the garbage. There is no question that wolf numbers are out of control in many areas and I think their removal is desirable. Nature's predator control which is allowing ungulate numbers to decline drastically thereby reducing wolf numbers is not the way to go.

blacktail_junkie
11-30-2010, 12:24 PM
Old Crow, the section you quote on page 91 (trappers section) also appears on page 18. I'm just not convinced that the intent of this "law" includes predator control. It would seem rather pointless to spend hours removing the hide of a wolf and take it home only to throw it in the garbage. There is no question that wolf numbers are out of control in many areas and I think their removal is desirable. Nature's predator control which is allowing ungulate numbers to decline drastically thereby reducing wolf numbers is not the way to go.

It's the law, take it home or don't shoot it, no way around it. And there are lots of people you can give them to, no need to throw them away

brewski
11-30-2010, 09:37 PM
Really?? Why Kill Them????

LukaTisus
11-30-2010, 11:08 PM

Without managing their numbers, they get out of control quite quickly. It gets to the point they start wiping out the big game faster than the animals can manage. They have no natural predators outside hunters, so it's up to us to keep the numbers down.

Same with coyotes.

hunter1947
12-01-2010, 03:57 AM

When wolves increase in numbers you have to control them or there will be no deer left.

Thats why we the hunters as for the trappers have to do our part in order to control the wolf population.

There are no predators that will kill a wolf in order to control the wolf population when it gets out of hand....

Old Crow
12-01-2010, 04:52 AM
They have no natural predators outside hunters, so it's up to us to keep the numbers down.
Same with coyotes.

There have been many threads on this topic.
Actually the biggest predator for coyotes is wolves.
Surprisingly, the biggest killer of wolves is other wolves, by far.

Stone Sheep Steve
12-01-2010, 05:25 AM

Hunters' bullets will never have any significant impact on a wolf population....period.

Trapping, poisoning, aerial gunning and lack of prey are about the only things that can affect their populations.

There's no reason not to shoot them if the opportunity arises...which doesn't happen very often.

SSS

killman
12-01-2010, 08:16 AM

You are right, it would be better to let them kill off all the ungulates. Then they could eat all the ranchers livestock. After that they could come to town and eat all the cats, dogs and the odd kid. Then I guess they would just slowly starve to death.:rolleyes::mrgreen:

BiG Boar
12-01-2010, 08:32 AM
I say kill for the enjoyment first.
Secondly, kill just to piss off the anti hunters and people who use this site and pretend to be real hunters, who are uneducated and don't know why we should kill wolves:)
Thirdly, because so many people on here will be jelous of your awsome wolf kill.
Forthly, for population management reasons.

islandboy
12-01-2010, 09:31 AM

Like most other "top of the food chain" critters, including mankind. :wink:

BearStump
12-01-2010, 10:04 AM
why kill them then?
I'VE SEEN A REALLY GOOD DEER AREA IN 5-2 GO FROM PRODUCTIVE, WITH DEER EVERYWHERE ONE YEAR TO NO DEER AT ALL. HARDLY EVEN SAW A DOE THE NEXT YEAR, BUT WOLF TRACKS EVERYWHERE. I FOUND IT TO BE QUITE ASTONISHING, THE DIFFERENCE THAT WOLVES CAN MAKE ON A DEER POPULATION. i'D TAKE EVERY LEGAL WOLF POSSIBLE IF I EVER SAW ONE. AND THE REASONING WOULD NOT BE.... "JUST FOR FUN"

oldschoolguy
12-01-2010, 10:19 AM
Hey bud. CAN YOU HEAR ME? I CAN HEAR YOU. TYPING IN LOWERCASE WILL GET THE MESSAGE ACROSS WITHOUT YOU SHOUTING AT ME LIKE THAT

ruger#1
12-01-2010, 10:30 AM
They do not always kill coyotes. Back east they have coyewolves. The sledders up north also try to get wolves to breed with their sled dogs. They do loose alot of dogs to the wolves also.

BearStump
12-01-2010, 01:37 PM
Hey bud. CAN YOU HEAR ME? I CAN HEAR YOU. TYPING IN LOWERCASE WILL GET THE MESSAGE ACROSS WITHOUT YOU SHOUTING AT ME LIKE THAT

Yah, Yah,Yah. sorry I'm not a secretary, and I usually type half the post before looking up to see the screen. By the time I realized that caps lock was on, I wasnt about to start over.

BlacktailStalker
12-01-2010, 01:59 PM

Its true.
Last winter after a long day of cat hunting I had the pleasure of having dinner with a guy who lives/guides/hunts/traps in the the mountains in his home in SW AB.

He guides a handful of sheep and elk every year for a living and kills and studys wolves for the rest of the year.
He was involved in an extensive study with the Ministry over several years where they collared a whack of wolves (like 50 or something) and only ONE wolf was found dead in its bed @ 11 years of age. One was killed on a highway, some died from hunting related injuries, starvation and the rest were killed by other wolves in territory disputes and some within their own pack.

I learned a lot, too much to type in fact.
But the myth of only alphas breeding is b.s and another myth is the fact that if you kill one of the alphas, it will mess up their hiarchy and they wont breed that year, in fact it is the complete opposite. It becomes a free for all and displaces one pack into 2 or 3 or as many packs as there is pairs which causes them to MOVE further into new areas to establish a territory.
Wolves are interesting things.

BiG Boar
12-01-2010, 02:06 PM
You know they are called Wolfs and not woves right?

blacktail_junkie
12-01-2010, 02:22 PM

You know they're called wolves and not wolfs right?

Tenacious Billy
12-01-2010, 02:32 PM
You know they're called wolves and not wolfs right?

Bahahahahahaha!!!!!!

bforce750
12-01-2010, 02:39 PM
I'VE SEEN A REALLY GOOD DEER AREA IN 5-2 GO FROM PRODUCTIVE, WITH DEER EVERYWHERE ONE YEAR TO NO DEER AT ALL. HARDLY EVEN SAW A DOE THE NEXT YEAR, BUT WOLF TRACKS EVERYWHERE. I FOUND IT TO BE QUITE ASTONISHING, THE DIFFERENCE THAT WOLVES CAN MAKE ON A DEER POPULATION. i'D TAKE EVERY LEGAL WOLF POSSIBLE IF I EVER SAW ONE. AND THE REASONING WOULD NOT BE.... "JUST FOR FUN"

You got that right Bill:evil:

bforce750
12-01-2010, 02:40 PM

Could you hear him yelling :-D

The Dawg
12-01-2010, 02:49 PM

You know its 'wolves', and not 'wolfs', right?

:D

bforce750
12-01-2010, 02:51 PM
You know its 'wolves', and not 'wolfs', right?

:D

That's funny stuff:mrgreen:

BlacktailStalker
12-01-2010, 03:38 PM

Are you ******ed lol ?
Epic grammar FAIL

Peter Pepper
12-01-2010, 04:28 PM
i think it was a joke

averagejoe
12-01-2010, 04:37 PM
this thread is awsome.... but really should we really be taking a part in trying to control mother nature??? dont you think it will effect us in the long run. this planet isnt ares

CanuckShooter
12-01-2010, 04:43 PM
When things get out of balance in the prey/predator scene a little assistance cannot hurt.

BiG Boar
12-01-2010, 04:57 PM
this thread is awsome.... this planet isnt ares

It's this planet ain't ours......

Which planet are we from if this planet aint ours?

Since this thread is so funny at my expence.

averagejoe
12-01-2010, 05:00 PM
It's this planet ain't ours......

Which planet are we from if this planet aint ours?

Since this thread is so funny at my expence.

hey bigbore i think someone has a crush on us ... look at his signature

BiG Boar
12-01-2010, 05:01 PM
this thread is awsome.... but really should we really be taking a part in trying to control mother nature??? dont you think it will effect us in the long run. this planet isnt ares

But to answer your question, yes we should be taking part in controlling it because we are altering it by our actions. Car hits a deer. Right there your altering it. Ect

BiG Boar
12-01-2010, 05:03 PM
I didn't read the thread that he quoted you on. But that is funny right there.

averagejoe
12-01-2010, 05:06 PM
I didn't read the thread that he quoted you on. But that is funny right there.

ya and also we are helping the wolfs hunt with are clear cutting and roads and so on... but still i think we should all just stop bitching about it . we have people that have studied this stuff and that is where are regulations come into play.. if you dont want to follow those rules then dont hunt at all

BlacktailStalker
12-01-2010, 05:06 PM
Average joe keep your ghey fantasies in your pouch.... I thought they were the two dumbest things I've read on here in a long time, yours foremost because Im pretty sure bigbores was a joke but yours wasnt :lol:

averagejoe
12-01-2010, 05:08 PM
Yeah average Joe thats right.... Or ! I thought they were the too dumbest things I've read on here in a long time, yours foremost because Im pretty sure bigbores was a joke but yours wasnt :lol:

ya im sorry about that .. i should of used my freind google before i asked the question

BlacktailStalker
12-01-2010, 05:09 PM
No reason to be sorry, I had a good laugh.

BiG Boar
12-01-2010, 05:11 PM
Used in a sentence, just googled it

"he saw the child living in a wolfs den and soon it became his idea of a good time. "

"Jelvis is extremely obese and he wolfs down his food like Jenna Jaimeson eats a hotdog at Costco."

coach
12-01-2010, 05:15 PM
ya and also we are helping the wolfs hunt with are clear cutting and roads and so on... but still i think we should all just stop bitching about it . we have people that have studied this stuff and that is where are regulations come into play.. if you dont want to follow those rules then dont hunt at all

I'm looking forward to the HBC spelling bee. :-?

coach
12-01-2010, 05:17 PM
This thread has deteriorated rather quickly. Chalk me up as a guy who supports killing wolves to keep their population under control and help protect ungulates.

BlacktailStalker
12-01-2010, 05:18 PM
Yes the wolfs den insinuates ownership of the den by THAT wolf. It is his.
Wolves is more than one wolf.
Do you say deer or deers ? lol

If you kill some wolves I'll gladly tell ya great job on killing some "wolfs" now go get some.

averagejoe
12-01-2010, 05:19 PM
I'm looking forward to the HBC spelling bee. :-?

guess what coach.. sure i cant "speel" but i did just purchace a house for over 2 million dollars. grammer doesnt make the world go round buddy.

BiG Boar
12-01-2010, 05:19 PM
Averagejoe take no ear to these fellows. I bet 3 out of 5 guys on here didn't know that cougars wernt raised in pouches. Most people probably don't know that we humans used to have pouches also. Are belly button is what the pouch has devolved into. That's why it's shaped like a tiny pouch and sometimes lint getting trapped in there is the start of a tiny nest.

averagejoe
12-01-2010, 05:20 PM
oh yes and im not anti wolf killing. i have shot at a couple.. but i just hate hearing ppl bitch about it. its a never ending topic

averagejoe
12-01-2010, 05:21 PM
how bout everyone post some pics of dead dogs!!!

averagejoe
Averagejoe take no ear to these fellows. I bet 3 out of 5 guys on here didn't know that cougars wernt raised in pouches. Most people probably don't know that we humans used to have pouches also. Are belly button is what the pouch has devolved into. That's why it's shaped like a tiny pouch and sometimes lint getting trapped in there is the start of a tiny nest.

amen to that.. i just googled it

coach
guess what coach.. sure i cant "speel" but i did just purchace a house for over 2 million dollars. grammer doesnt make the world go round buddy.

Ouch! An excellent retort averagejoe. I take it all back.

BiG Boar
12-01-2010, 05:27 PM
My two for the year

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn5/bigbore14/IMG_3274-1.jpg
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn5/bigbore14/IMG_7424.jpg

coach
12-01-2010, 05:29 PM
Nice work, Bigbore!

coach
12-01-2010, 05:32 PM
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy154/coach108/Wolf.jpg

Here's the one I shot in region 6 a few years ago.

BiG Boar
12-01-2010, 05:33 PM
Nice wolfs, Bigbore!

Thanks, just doing my part.

coach
12-01-2010, 05:35 PM
And here's what happens when a predator lover kills a coyote with their car. Saw this on the way to work last summer.. :lol:

http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy154/coach108/Coyote.jpg

CanuckShooter
12-01-2010, 05:57 PM
And here's what happens when a predator lover kills a coyote with their car. Saw this on the way to work last summer.. :lol:

http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy154/coach108/Coyote.jpg

How sweet that someone would show such respect for a deceased coyote....we don't have to hate them and disrespect them when they die.

BlacktailStalker
12-01-2010, 06:17 PM
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f314/BlacktailStalker/DSC01742.jpg

Shot this bitch about 10 years ago, there was 4 at an old kill I had found previously. I had a hunch they'd be there as I cut their tracks about 2 km away headed into the thicket towards it, snuck around the corner and sure enough there they were gnawing on legs.
Popped one in the neck and she didnt budge, the other 3 bolted and proceeded to give me a hair raising experience that I posted before.

We dont disrespect out dead yotes, we honour them with a picture :lol:

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f314/BlacktailStalker/Miscpics001-1.jpg

ruger#1
12-01-2010, 06:18 PM

http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy154/coach108/Coyote.jpg I winder f it had somtin in it pouch:mrgreen:

coach
12-01-2010, 06:35 PM
Looks like it must have been a Vernon city council member that hit that coyote in my earlier picture: http://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/58467/No-culling-of-Vernon-coyotes

M.Dean
12-01-2010, 06:58 PM
Next time you bag a Wolf ,Wagon Master, take the hide off and then take the Hind Quarters and back straps! Yes, Wolf meat is a Delicacy in most Countries!!! Heck, surprise your family and cook up a nice Wolf roast or maybe some real thick steaks for dinner, hell you could invite the Inlaws over for the feast!!! It has a bit of a Wet Dog odor but leans more towards the taste of a Coyote in full Rut, if you add lots of Garlic to the pan it helps cover that rotten meat smell that all Wolves have! And remember "A Real man eats what he Kills!" Good Hunting!!!

BiG Boar
12-01-2010, 09:22 PM
eat what you kill:
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn5/bigbore14/IMG_7502.jpg
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn5/bigbore14/IMG_2583.jpg
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn5/bigbore14/IMG_2586.jpg
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn5/bigbore14/IMG_2591.jpg
Yes, that is me, eating one of the finest coyolves in the country.

dutchie
12-01-2010, 10:37 PM
epic!

Dutchie

Old Crow
12-01-2010, 11:14 PM
On a related note, some interesting reading:

Fishing Techniques by Dick Pool

It is often said that ten percent of the fishermen catch ninety percent of the fish. Unfortunately this is frequently true. The difference between those who catch salmon consistently and those who do not is technique. More salmon are taken by trolling than by mooching or jigging so we will concentrate this section on open water trolling.

Hmmmmm...interesting.......dontcha think?

Sleep Robber
12-01-2010, 11:34 PM
eat what you kill:
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn5/bigbore14/IMG_7502.jpg
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn5/bigbore14/IMG_2583.jpg
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn5/bigbore14/IMG_2586.jpg
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn5/bigbore14/IMG_2591.jpg
Yes, that is me, eating one of the finest coyolves in the country.

Very kewl !!!!!, how was it ? and do you eat it often ? I've yet to try it myself.

AT&T
12-02-2010, 08:05 AM
After seeing what a wolf packs can do to our animal populations any hunter does not take the opportunity to shoot a wolf is very short sighted. We are in direct competition except they do not practice sustainable wildlife managment. I like wolves and enjoy their howling. They are an important part of the province. On the other hand Wolves and hunters are in direct competition. If we all shot everyone we saw it still would not bring wolves to extinction in my part of the West Kootenays. If you sit on the fence with this eventually you will see the error in your ways when you go home empty. It is that simple.