PDA

View Full Version : Think I am destined not to be a hunter

bchunter181
11-29-2010, 02:57 AM
Some of you may have read some of my other posts I am a young new hunter that lives and breathes hunting I have hunter for 5 years and have never cut a tag in my life other than shooting grouse I have never shot a big game animal I usely go hunting with my dad but this year I went with my hunting buddy and got my pal and a truck to hunt me around I drive a big lifted Toyota 4runner.

so we have went hunting every chance we get I have got advice on spots to hunt how to hunt different ways to hunt everything bought tons of Gear to help went out a bought a new gun this year. When I have gone hunting I try everything sitting in a blind and calling and rattling, hiking hours on end, even tracking fresh tracks in the snow I can not figure out what I am doing wrong all I have seen are 1 buck and 4 does this whole season!

I think I am setting myself up for good opportunity for success but never get anything(5 years) don't know where to go from here I think I am calling it a season for this year just got back from a weekend hunt oh ya I sleep in the bush to so I can be there for the morning hunt and the night hunt have put in lots of time energy ad money( costs me about 200 every weekend I go out and this is like weekend 8) and quite honestly am just exhausted don't know what the problem is but this is starting to not be fun anymore and once the fun gone that's it I will definitely be hunting next year and years to come buck I am still waiting for that first buck feeling!

hunter1947
11-29-2010, 03:15 AM
bchunter181 don't let this get you down I know where you are coming from I went 7 years without filling my tag on an elk and I consider myself above average elk hunter.

Hear are a few things to keep in mind.

#1 head out in July and Aug scouting for animals spend as much time out there as you can and find out where the deer are ,scout out as many areas as you can.

#2 When you find out where the most animal are be there first morning GOS be there one hour before sunrise and wait.

After daylight has come glass everywhere ,if nothing then work this area over you will have an upper hand on because you worked this area over earlier and know the deers movements.

#3 If nothing there go back 2 hours before you loose shooting light and set up where you saw deer when scouting wait there till you loose shooting light.

#4 if nothing head back and do the same thing you will get your deer ,its like fishing Salmon you don't get nothing that morning you head back out for the evening bite and if nothing then you go back the next morning.

#4 keep at it right now ,now is the time where you can see lots of tracks in the snow ,where there are lots of tracks there are deer ,right now is kind of like scouting and the good thing is you can still shoot a deer..

You will connect do these things I suggested and you will click ,good luck this year and next year ,H-47 http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif.

gutpile
11-29-2010, 04:05 AM
I have been there many times, i know what your feeling but if you love the outdoors you won't give up.
Number 1 is just enjoy yourself in the outdoors even when you don't see or get anything and learn from your mistakes eventually you will connect just hang in there.

CanuckShooter
11-29-2010, 04:21 AM
Some guys just try too hard...or make too much noise. Just go to a spot where there are fresh tracks, sit downwind....and be quiet...sit there all day, everyday...it's just a matter of time. Just remember you are in their environment, if your moving they will see you first 99 times out of 100...if your making noise they will see you even faster....:-D

doubled
11-29-2010, 06:37 AM
Depends where you hunt. If you are from the LML and hunt down there, well good luck. Get into the interior and drive/walk around - Lady luck will smile on you sooner or later.

grizzlydown
11-29-2010, 06:50 AM
Number 1 is just enjoy yourself in the outdoors even when you don't see or get anything and learn from your mistakes eventually you will connect just hang in there.

This is so true.....enjoy what this great province has to offer and our freedom to be out there enjoying it!!! I know it can get frustrating at times and I can speak for everyone and say we have all been there. Like Hunter1947 told you: Spend some time in summer to locate a spot and be there opening day. Work the area over and over. Put in for a Doe LEH in the interior or find a place that has GOS on Doe. (There is a reason why they do:wink:)

bchunter181
11-29-2010, 08:01 AM
will do guys thanks i just needed to vent i guess but i really dont think i will get back out there this year maybe next year definetly going to apply for leh nex year when do you have to register by?

BiG Boar
11-29-2010, 08:09 AM
I would suggest LEH as a great head start. There is a reason people bitch about not getting them. Usually it gives you an advantage. Also, do you tend to see other hunters where you hunt? If you are seeing lots get off the roads using google earth and a back roads map book and compass. If you have a GPS even better. Get back into some deactivated areas to a good vantage point down wind and sit. Patients is a virtue.

Kalum
11-29-2010, 08:18 AM
Ah that sucks, I suggest you make a trip up to Haida Gwaii to sake your blood lust. Wouldn't say it's a sure thing as there's always something that could happen but it's as close to you're going to get :)
Luck

moosinaround
11-29-2010, 08:19 AM
I hunted 3 yrs before I shot my first Big game animal. Hang in there scout your area and look listen and learn. The animals leave clues out there, rub,s tracks, poop, and game trails. I scout in the areas I hunt, and I know them very well. Whatch other hunters, if there are others out with you while you are hunting, hang out behind them cause road hunters spook game and you will see it. I hunt a lot from Sept till the end of Nov, LOTS!!!! Get out first light after a good frost, hunt the rutting times for the animals, and learn thier characteristics. Be patient and have fun, it is not always about the kill, but the oppourtunity to be in the outdoors. Good hunting, Moosinaround

Gunner Staal
11-29-2010, 08:25 AM
Dont feel bad man. Im having the same kind of year. Ive missed a goat this year, didnt see a single 4 point during rifle season and just last night I missed a beaty 4 point......twice! With my bow. I will still be out there next weekend. Its all part of the game.

Jonas111
11-29-2010, 09:13 AM
I am a fairly new hunter as well and I get a little frustrated when I don't see anything. This year was my most successful year in four years of hunting. I Have seen Moose, Elk and a bunch of deer. I only have a one Whitetail under my belt this year and it was the largest of my career thus far.

The major difference this year is I have read a few books on Whitetails and the main thing is to be still and quiet. You would be surprised just how quiet deer are. They could be 30 yds from you and you wouldn't even hear them.

I sat in my treestand for about 4 hrs and was as motionless as I could be and I got to watch a few different deer come out but nothing worth shooting. Then a little fawn came out into the meadow and he was by himself. Which tells me that there was a buck that chased him away from his mother. So I sat absolutely motionless and watched this fawn for about 25 min when all of a sudden the mother come running out of the bush and stopped. Looked behind her. I knew for sure there was a buck about to come out. Sure enough out popped this 6 x 5 whitetail buck. It was even hard for me to raise my gun it seemed like they knew I was there. I saw just enough to put a clean shot through him and down he went.

After sitting in my treestand for quite a few days this year I was truly amazed how a deer would just pop up right in the middle of the meadow and I didnt even hear her/him come in. Truly amazing.

Patience is everything when hunting big bucks.

Good luck and don't give up. It is truly an amazing feeling when you get one.

Barracuda
11-29-2010, 09:17 AM
perhaps line yourself up with someone that is well seasoned and successfull and play tag along.

I have a friend that couldnt find his pecker in his pants unless his wife helped him but he was very enthusiastic.

Soon as he tagged along with a fellow that was a very good deer hunter he was taken to good areas and got his game .

perhaps a simple change of venue is in order

LukaTisus
11-29-2010, 09:22 AM
What Region you in? :P Maybe next year you could head out here to my area and I could take you out to some good places! There's a couple spots I know about that have some awesome, heavily used game trails that're used by some beautiful deer.

Couple of areas as well where you could bag a nice 4pt mulie, but you need a few days off 'cuz it's a bit of a hike in and out and you'd wanna spend a night or two up there. :)

sawmill
11-29-2010, 09:27 AM
Shit happens.I passed on a lot of smaller deer this year but did hook some of my freinds up for 4x4 meat bucks.That always feels good.
Then this morning I walked into the wrong spot and pushed a beauty 5x5 right out in front of a guy in his truck.BOOM.Deer in his truck.Oh well,that`s the way it goes.
I ain`t starving mind you,2 elk and a deer but...man that was a nice buck!
Tommorow is the last day,one more kick at the cat.

Weatherby Fan
11-29-2010, 09:51 AM
Don't worry about the past just look forward , from the sounds of the people on here you will have no trouble getting some sound advice for hunting,you still have until Dec 10th to find a 4 point this year.It really is nice to see people being so helpful with young hunters.
Hunter1947 has given some great advice.
I'm not sure where you live but I sent you a message and I'll see if I can help.
It sounds like there is no lack of effort on your part and you may need some help with hunting your areas and at the right time.

knighthunter
11-29-2010, 10:57 AM
All good advice given, Still a couple of weeks of season left down south, maybe if you post where you are, someone will take you out or at least point you in a good direction.

BlacktailStalker
11-29-2010, 11:03 AM
Research your LEH areas before you apply or you will be writing another venting post next year.
Calling isnt very effective, at all, for deer, I would worry about that AFTER you have them figured out... which nobody has done completely.
I wouldnt give up yet, now is a good time (snow on the ground) to find FRESH sign on areas where they are actively feeding (even if you think its at night)
Set up in a remote area 2-3 hours before dark with a good vantage point where the fresh sign is, with the wind IN your favour and just sit til COMPLETE darkness.
Do it again in the a.m, set up at least 30 mins before any HINT of light and sit.
You'll get a deer IF they are there.
Wildlife operates in normal fashion when nothing alarms their senses, scent, noise and visibility.
A high percentage of people dont have the patience to do this.
Get back out there and keep us posted.

Salty
11-29-2010, 12:15 PM
Strive to be as quiet as the deer. Strive to move without being seen like the deer.

Never slam the door. Pick up your feet when you walk. Listen. Are you making noise by brushing against trees, scuffing your feet, cracking twigs? No good. You need to sneak along as silent as possible. Stop often. Listen. Creap long some more. repeat.

Don't walk in the open. You're busted right now! If you're on a trail stay against the side and blend in with the timber. Stay on the inside of curves and carefully peer down trail when it straightens out. If in the bush use the trees to hide your approach. Always, not just when you think you're on something.

You need to be as sneaky as the prey. Then you'll start to see game.

Barracuda
11-29-2010, 12:20 PM
Think the Deer

See See see the Deer

Be the Deer

blacktail_junkie
11-29-2010, 12:50 PM
My first ever buck was taken on the 2nd to last day of the season. You never know which day will be the one.

goatdancer
11-29-2010, 01:09 PM
Patience. grasshopper.

kgs
11-29-2010, 01:20 PM
I have been hunting since 2003 and can say that I have felt the same way many times. This year I saw lots of game but was skunked this year. I have been skunked twice in the last 7 years. I suggest that you concentrate on areas where you see game. Have you tried using scents they work great if used the right way. Research is the key so find books and talk to hunters that you know or on the web site for info on hunting. Find books or DVD’s on deer, moose behaviors and habits and calling methods on how and when to use them, this includes hunting videos. Find another hunter who is successful and see if you can hunt with him everyone needs a mentor at some point and it’s never too late to learn. Do you belong to a gun club if not join it’s a great place to meet people who hunt. Take up reloading it has helped me keep my passion for guns and hunting. My advice re a hunting spot is to scout it in the summer and if you see game come back in the fall. I seek out water sources like lakes, rivers and swamps and scout them. I work them a couple of weeks at a time then try a new spot then go back ectra. Another thing to think about is the rut as hunting during that time will produce results. This year I saw tons of game just nothing I could legally shoot but that’s the way it goes lol. It’s very frustrating when your buddies tag out and you don’t but there is always next year…Good luck and don’t give up because that first big kill is so sweet…

257stew
11-29-2010, 01:35 PM
Be patient.Just think after all the years of no success how it will feel when you finally get one.
-its not about how much cash you spend but rather how you approch your hunting and the techniques you use. Seriously I use to want camo this and gortex that and figured if I did not have it I was handi-capping myself. I watched a group of natives hunting moose up north. Not one guy had camo. they all wore yellow/orange rain gear and rubber boots and they were quite successful. So that was my attire for the next few years and I learned to do a lot of glassing and when moose was found I started calling and was very successful over the next few years.
My advice to you is 1) get a good set of binos and learn to do a lot of sitting and glassing. 2) learn the fine art of still hunting,were you walk a short distance,stop,look/glass and then repeat. 3) find an area with animals in the off season and then build a tree stand. This is a very effective way to hunt. 4) Do not over look the so called "backyard bucks" hunting close to home can be just as productive as driving hundreds of km's. Plus you can get out more often. You may need to take up bowhunting to do this depending on where you live. I have seen bucks/moose right in side many towns and even cities around our province. While hunting right in town may not be allowed the areas around town may be huntable if not with a rifle with a bow/shotgun at least.
Be patient and do not give up. Try and learn something each time you are out and eventually you will have some success.
257 Stew

LukaTisus
11-29-2010, 01:36 PM
Just curious, what kinds of calls do you use? I found I had no luck with those doe-in-heat can calls, until I saw a vid on how to properly use 'em. Apparently letting it drawl out the full call is a sort of warning blat to other deer. I tried the method I saw in the vid and had actually brought a buck right in to me, it was my own impatience that spooked him lol.. :P

bchunter181
11-29-2010, 04:08 PM
thanks for all the advice its awesome you guys are trying to help i live in abbotsford but i am willing to drive.if anyone can give me a spot that has deer i will try to get out again this year and like i said i am willing to drive!

Barracuda
11-29-2010, 04:14 PM
http://seaviewgamefarm.com/fallow_deer.php :mrgreen:

bchunter181
11-29-2010, 04:23 PM
lol ya okay

The Hermit
11-29-2010, 04:32 PM
Over the past three weeks I have been out hunting with a fellow that has been hunting with his traditional bow for TEN YEARS and has never connected... until last Saturday!! My bet is that if you put your location into your user info someone on here would volunteer to take you out and help you get into deer.

I don't know why people don't put at least their management unit in their profiles... it would make buy and sell easier, connecting with other locals easier etc!!

bowhunterbruce
11-29-2010, 04:35 PM
i once nailed a 4x4 muley with my bow during the last 45 minutes of light on the last day of bow season.by the time i found his blood trail it was already very poor light so i went back the next morning with only the dog to recover it. dont give up ever.
bhb

Kody94
11-29-2010, 05:08 PM
Unless you have someone with experience and good success that takes you out and shows you all his tricks, you have to learn them on your own. The first 5 years are way tougher than the next 5 -- I know mine were anyway. Hopefully you are learning every time you go out. Keep on trying...at some point your luck will turn.

bsa30-06
11-29-2010, 07:47 PM
I have been in your shoes,so has my partner.You begin to question everything you do,wondering what it is your doing wrong.I know i did.I searched around and found someone to hunt with,it was then i realized it wasnt anything i was doing wrong.This year i hunted with a new partner, niether of us had been very succesfull in the past,i had a couple bears and a buck to my name , and my partner had never taken a big game animal.We started with the spring bear season,saw lots of sows and cubs,and only two lone bears niether of which panned out for us.Next was deer,for this we ventured into areas niether of us had hunted so it was gonna be more of a learn the area trip.To make a long story short it was the decision to try different areas that paid off as my partner dropped his first ever buck.So look for a partner try different areas,be persistent and get out there and keep looking, cause i can gaurantee you wont find them sittin on your couch.

savagecanuck
11-29-2010, 08:20 PM
Alot of good advice so far.For me 2 things have changed in the way I hunt in the last 3 yrs with some amazing results.First thing was to finally get an ATV,I only get off it to pee or shoot as the deer are not bothered at all by it.Walking they usually always make you first then book.The second thing I did to improve my results is learned how to push the boundries and fringe hunt on city limits etc.I do not poach or do anything illegal but push to the boundries.I use a crossbow in or near the city limits and scout early too see if new gates or access has been changed on some of my urban hunting spots.Between my 2 boys and I we have taken 11 bucks in the last 3 yrs all local.All 3 points or better.Right now we are local bow hunting for muleys.Don't give up and be persitant you got to be in the right place[lots of sign] at the right time.I scouted the late season muley bow hunt when it was 4 point or better and never ran into a big guy but saw 2-3 quality bow bucks so now I am after them.Please also try and tag along on some experianced hunters who maynot show u their fav spots but will teach you to be quiet,quick on the draw,with little hesitation

bchunter181
11-29-2010, 08:42 PM
k thanks again.

LukaTisus
11-29-2010, 11:41 PM
If you're willing to make a trip out of it next year, I'm out in Region 4. I know some good area that I'm not afraid to share, especially helping someone get a first buck. :) I helped my buddy get his first bull elk this year. Coulda been mine, but I didn't buy a tag for one 'cuz I'd already got my moose lol! So as far as letting someone else pull the trigger, I'm fine with that!

Though if you needed a backup... ;)

There's some nice game out here, and some further south. Lots of whities, and if you aren't picky, there's a lot of little meat-bucks running amok around here. Up to you, of course! But I always love hunting with new pals.

Eagleeyes
12-01-2010, 10:49 PM
Maybe you need to find some new huntin' buddies!!!:)

bchunter181
12-01-2010, 10:53 PM
Ya that could work I will keep in touch

rides bike to work
12-01-2010, 11:37 PM
I as well am new to hunting spent many years out with my dad but never took it seriously for myself untill thisyear. I ve been hunting the chilliwack area and over the season have spotted many does and frequently used game trails.I have found that driving hiking tracking are all important tools for locating the deer in this area drive slow and try to look deep into the thick bush ,spend alot of time glassing the slashes and when you onto some track them right into the thick bush with the snow being crunchy right now I found the deer hiding in the old growth after many trips and hours it wasnt untill last weekend I bagged my first big game animal a spike black tail not large but tasty and leaves me room for improvement .Keep at it you still have time left and If you put in your time you will be rewarded.