PDA

View Full Version : Whitetail Identification for dummies....

Cyrus
11-28-2010, 10:44 PM
I was hunting an area in Region 5 where I have never seen a whitey buck. Today I walked into a clearing and stopped to glass....within a few seconds a small buck walked right out in front of me. It was a small 2 point on one side and looked like a spike on the other. A small deer...which I passed off as a mule deer. However I got to looking at his tail and noticed it was longer than a muley, no black tip, and was almost v shaped of its back. I instantly thought whitetail but since I have never seen a whitetail buck before I was not sure. The antlers were too small to see if they forked like a whitey and it was a small deer so the ears were small to begin with. As it walked away I gave a blow on my deer caller and it instantly stopped looked back at me and then ran. It didn't take off on a dead run but it would trot and then really jump every 10 feet or snow....never seen anything like it. The tail stood straight up and was waving when it ran. So I am guessing it had to be a whitey. Is there a chance it was a hybrid? If so can I still tag it a whitey? Also just wondering for small whitey bucks and even does what is the 1st physical feature you guys look for? tail only? Any help appreciated as I have never hunted whiteys before and I hope to see this guy tomorrow.

todbartell
11-28-2010, 10:46 PM
it was a whitetail. I generally look for the tail first if possible. I find whitetails a lighter color than mulies too, which are a darker grey. WT more of a brown

landphil
11-28-2010, 10:51 PM
The white flag as they run away is a sure sign - often too late by then though. Whities won't bound on all fours like a mulie either, they run more like a horse.

todbartell
11-28-2010, 10:55 PM
alot of times they look like they're floating when they run, big leaps with the tail up.

Cyrus
11-28-2010, 11:00 PM
thanks guys...you hit the nail on the head for what it did when it ran...it did stop about 350 yards away but it was ass to me and not a shot I was going to take or likely make for that matter. Now that I think about it the deer was lighter in color than a muley....argh...hopefully he is around tomorrow.....ended up walking into another area just after just in time to watch another hunter drop a nice 4 point muley from his truck at about 15 yards! when it rains it pours for me this year!!! thanks for the info! 2 days to go to avoid tag soup!!

todbartell
11-28-2010, 11:06 PM
you might want to watch some videos on youtube on whitetails if you have a tag for them. :smile:

andrewheth
11-29-2010, 12:59 AM
How do you have a hunting license nevermind a CORE certificate! If you can't tell the difference between these animals you shouldn't have a tag. WOW!!

hunter1947
11-29-2010, 03:32 AM
I look at the ears there smaller then that of a mule ,the belly is white underneath as well ,the tail when lifted is all white and it waves to you by ,by when it is running from you side to side.

the WT deer are also a lot lighter in hide color and sometimes you can't go by the antlers because they can look like a mule deer set of antlers.

Over all I look at all what I said above..

This year when I was with one of my friend when he was hunting WT and this big WT buck we spotted about 250 yards out looked like a mule deer set of antlers ,first thing I thought mule deer ????.

I then looked at the tail as it trotted off as for the face complication and then said no mule deer this is a honker of a WT buck..

CanuckShooter
11-29-2010, 04:25 AM
it was a whitetail. I generally look for the tail first if possible. I find whitetails a lighter color than mulies too, which are a darker grey. WT more of a brown

I shot a wt doe this year, near the Blackwater River, that was the exact same color as the mulie buck we got the same day....her hoof was the same shape as a mulie, and her ears were only slightly smaller than a mulie. The only way I could positively identify her was by that big white tail when she took off.....

ElectricDyck
11-29-2010, 09:10 AM
When I started hunting I had a hard time telling the difference, now it boggles my mind that I couldn't tell. It amazes me how many long time hunters still have problems. I guess if you don't see too many in your area you don't get any practice.

Whitetails faces are sleeker, the females are prettier (says my wife), faces are usually more of a solid color with white rings around the eyes and nose, ears can be smaller, tails are longer (this year I could see the tail between a does legs as it stood facing me), their are usually a lighter color and fly rather than bounce. I've seen mulies run with their tails up, but a whitetails tail is longer and fluffy underneath like a feather duster.

jml11
11-29-2010, 09:25 AM
How do you have a hunting license nevermind a CORE certificate! If you can't tell the difference between these animals you shouldn't have a tag. WOW!!

Unfortunately I know a lot of newer hunters who wouldn't be able to tell the difference...just because someone has passed CORE doesn't make them an expert, far from it actually...how many CORE graduates can accurately identify ducks in flight? CORE is just a test and as most do in school, they memorize enough to pass and usually forget most of it. Also reading about deer and seeing a few photos and sketches in a book isn't enough. It takes time in the field to get confirmation. The OP did the right thing, letting it walk and researching it afterwards. Now he knows and can harvest that deer comfortably next time.

When I am out in the bush with one of these new hunters I always ask them to ID the deer first, even if they are just Does or we see them along a highway driving from A to B.

sawmill
11-29-2010, 09:34 AM
I`v been huntnig sucsessfully for almost 40 years and I damn near dropped the hammer on a big mulie with a perfect 5 point whitie horn who had his nose all over a whitie doe this fall.Poor visability due to heavy snow and first light.I took a second look and he turned enough to see the ass.Pure mulie.It`s real easy to make a mistake,when in doubt let it go.

MuleyMadness
11-29-2010, 09:45 AM

He's asking for help not some asinine comment. He did the right thing in letting it walk. Quite frankly a small buck as he identified, (and incidentially he DID look for the correct things) is difficult to determine species sometimes. ALL the clues (single beam antlers with all the points off the main, smaller ears, different colour, rat looking (my own)etc)) really mean NOTHING as far as determining the species, as the only thing that counts in the end is the colour of it's tail. Particularly in region 3/5 (don't know about 8 as much) where there are plenty of hybrids, species determination can be quite challenging with smaller bucks, until they start running that is.

Good job making sure before dropping the hammer Cyrus, you did the right thing twice...not shooting, then being man enough to ask for help.

LukaTisus
11-29-2010, 09:54 AM
I've seen different color phases in mulies, where they *almost* look like whitetail and vice versa, so it's not the greatest indication to go by but Mulies also have that unmistakable, huge white patch on their ass, with that skinny rope-like, black-tipped tail.

#1 rule while hunting, however, is if you aren't sure then don't pull the trigger.
I'm surprised, though. Identification between those two species is one of the things they make a point to teach you in the CORE and Hunting courses...

Though what you should do, is take a look at pictures online, compare mule-deer and whitetail pictures side by side and learn the difference visually so you can tell at a glance what a deer is, so you know for sure. When facing a two point mulie, and a two point whitetail, unless you know absolutely for sure what the differences is between them, then you'd best not be shooting it making a 50/50 wager. :) However, you did miss out on that little WT buck, hopefully he'll be around tomorrow.

But I would definitely open several pics of both species and have them side by side, every angle, so you can take in and acknowledge the differences between the two. It'll help you out in the long run, for sure!

J_T
11-29-2010, 10:00 AM
I`v been huntnig sucsessfully for almost 40 years and I damn near dropped the hammer on a big mulie with a perfect 5 point whitie horn who had his nose all over a whitie doe this fall.Poor visability due to heavy snow and first light.I took a second look and he turned enough to see the ass.Pure mulie.It`s real easy to make a mistake,when in doubt let it go.
I've been hunting a long time and I gave my son the go on what I thought was a whitey buck in youth season. Only because my son hesitated and the deer gave us another look that we realized it was a muley. They aren't all easy to ID. It depends how much animal you have to look at.

LukaTisus
11-29-2010, 10:14 AM
Speaking of seasoned hunters, and ID problems and such.. I knew a guy that got on a deer trail with my Dad one time, and started following a fresh set of tracks... the wrong way.

He did it to me one time, too.. looking at a set of tracks and pointed the wrong direction they were going. He thought the rounded part of the hoof-print was the tip of the hoof.

Salty
11-29-2010, 10:24 AM
Look at the but first.

Mule deer - white rump, shorter white tail with black tip

White tail - brown rump, longer brown tail. (Until it takes off and you see the underside of the tail which is bright white as you just learned).

I just learned white tails in the last 5 years (they weren't anywhere where I hunted before that) and this is the rule I've come to. Even at quite a distance you can tell right away if the rump is white or not. After that, there's the colour difference, different ways they move etc. that help the cause too. G'luck with it. ..

knighthunter
11-29-2010, 10:37 AM
Having moved here from a province that only has whitetails, I've been waved goodbye to thousands of times.

Seeadler
11-29-2010, 10:39 AM
It is pretty easy to tell the difference if you see them all the time. But if you have never seen one before I could see the difficulty. How many people that would run you down can identify all the ducks by their sillouettes?

The white tail raised is a dead give away.

boxhitch
11-29-2010, 12:52 PM
One way to look at the Whitetails face is to think of three rings of white.
WT will have a brown face with a white ring behind the black nose and a white ring around each eye
MD face will be lighter sometimes white, no distinct rings, sometimes a black mask..

The ass end is a know brainer, as noted. white rump on the MD.

Kinda like the pictures in the regs......

GoatGuy
11-29-2010, 01:02 PM
One way to look at the Whitetails face is to think of three rings of white.
WT will have a brown muzzle with a white ring behind the black nose and a white ring around each eye
MD muzzle will be lighter sometimes white, no distinct rings.

The ass end is a know brainer, as noted. white rump on the MD.

Kinda like the pictures in the regs......

md will also often have the 'unibrow' which wt's generally don't have.

farside
11-29-2010, 02:19 PM

You Sir, are the reason some folks don't ask the question and then make the mistake.

HBC Saint in full flight

KB90
11-29-2010, 03:12 PM

Nice contribution. :confused:

Seeing animals in a CORE book and in real life are two different things.

I live in region 5 in quesnel and when I started hunting 7 or 8 years ago we never looked to ID. Whitetails just weren't there, so I really could care less what they looked like. I remember telling my grandpa I seen a whitetail while out hunting and he laughed at me.

Today is a different story. I have seen quite a few whiteys this year, even helped a guy load one up.

andrewheth
11-29-2010, 06:39 PM
Nice contribution. :confused:

Seeing animals in a CORE book and in real life are two different things.

I live in region 5 in quesnel and when I started hunting 7 or 8 years ago we never looked to ID. Whitetails just weren't there, so I really could care less what they looked like. I remember telling my grandpa I seen a whitetail while out hunting and he laughed at me.

Today is a different story. I have seen quite a few whiteys this year, even helped a guy load one up.

I would like to know how the CORE book is different than real life? When whitetail deer have a brown tail with white underneath and Mulies have a huge white ass and tail with black at the tip. Explain to me how that is hard to understand????? All I am saying is that if you are uncomfortable with IDing animals should you really be hunting them? Maybe hunting with a camera thats it.

Blainer
11-29-2010, 06:57 PM
How do you have a hunting license nevermind a CORE certificate! If you can't tell the difference between these animals you shouldn't have a tag. WOW!!and you are one to pass judgement?
Spotting with your riflescope?
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57809 (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57809)

Salty
11-29-2010, 07:00 PM
Let's just say they got that question wrong and still passed with great marks and they get the CORE certificate and a licence.

Life is a life long learning experience no one has it aced in the beginning like you do chief. The OP didn't shoot the deer and comes here to learn some tips at IDing deer which is what this site is all about. Lighten up man. :?

Cyrus
11-29-2010, 07:07 PM
Thanks for the advice guys...to clarify....I have a whitetail tag but really only for the Kamloops area where I rarely hunt. I was hunting in Region 5 near 100 Mile and have never seen a whitetail buck. When I saw this deer I initially thought mule deer because I have never seen a whitetail ever in this area and really only a handful of does in 25 yrs of hunting there. The deer was quite small and the antlers were no help...by the time I figured it was a whitey by the tail, it was waving goodbye to me. Basically it was such a surprise to see one I didn't believe my own eyes......I will admit I have never seen a whitey buck before and only a handful of whitey does so I am no expert. Not really sure why the resident whitey expert here think I should not be out hunting them? thanks for the advice tips!!!!

wildprotien
11-29-2010, 07:08 PM
Speaking of seasoned hunters, and ID problems and such.. I knew a guy that got on a deer trail with my Dad one time, and started following a fresh set of tracks... the wrong way.

He did it to me one time, too.. looking at a set of tracks and pointed the wrong direction they were going. He thought the rounded part of the hoof-print was the tip of the hoof.

So if this guy shoots a deer between the eyes does he hold up the tail to show you the entrance hole of the bullet ?
joking ..... lol

ruger#1
11-29-2010, 07:09 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/DSC00811_900x675_.jpgCan you tell by the head.

len173
11-29-2010, 07:10 PM
I guess I wasn't sure if is was legal or illeagal because back way back when in CORE class they teach you that the only time you should aim a loaded firearm at something is only if you are ready to pull the trigger.

Hmm, here you appear to be confused about something that you learned in CORE and doing it in real life. It was sure nice of all those posters who answered your question NOT to jump all over you. It would be nice if you could extend that courtesy.

:roll:

Sooke Hunter
11-29-2010, 07:19 PM
Settle down big fella....he just wants some help....he didn't shoot it..:)

LukaTisus
11-29-2010, 11:50 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/DSC00811_900x675_.jpgCan you tell by the head.

Whitetail, no? Ears aren't as large as a typical mulie, though that fork in the tines does throw you off a bit. :P Definitely a nice size buck, though.

pazz0
11-30-2010, 12:44 AM
^ But look at the forked antler.

LukaTisus
11-30-2010, 07:35 AM
I've seen whitetail with forks like that before. 3pt mule-deer can have deceivingly looking 'whitetail' antlers when it's forked on the lower beam.

BCTRUCKER
11-30-2010, 09:55 AM
You made the right decision,Just as the core program taught you.
If you can't identify the species you are hunting . DON'T SHOOT!
I know it took me a couple of sightings to figure it out. I knew about
the big white flag. ( tail) Body and color differences are the hard ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewheth http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=799321#post799321)

And for some one to make a comment like this, for asking a question!
No wander members don't like to ask questions. WOW!!!!!!

MIKE

f350ps
11-30-2010, 02:02 PM
Very easy to tell the difference, Whities taste way better. :wink: K

brian
11-30-2010, 04:05 PM
The tail is the dead give away for whities, but most often if you see it the gig is up. So if you can't see antlers or they don't give you any help, then my little memory cue when looking at them is, "dark face = white tail". White tails tend to have a really distinct smaller patches of white over their nose and around their eyes. Mulies and blacktails have less distinct patches of white (more like blobs of white or entirely white faces with the uni-brow (mentioned above) on their faces).

In my experience the Core course ID doesn't replace seeing the deer in the field. After you see a few it locks into your memory. The book is just words and pictures.

island grown
11-30-2010, 04:42 PM

SHHH, That's right. You just got SHHH'D...

Blktail
11-30-2010, 06:41 PM

What a jerk! The guy didn't shoot it in error and he asked us for advice.:twisted:

I learned how to tell a whitetail from a mulie when I took CORE in 1975. I never saw a whitetail until this year. Thats 35 years. I wasn't sure of what I was looking at at first either.

andrewheth
11-30-2010, 11:29 PM
What a jerk! The guy didn't shoot it in error and he asked us for advice.:twisted:

I learned how to tell a whitetail from a mulie when I took CORE in 1975. I never saw a whitetail until this year. Thats 35 years. I wasn't sure of what I was looking at at first either.

WOW you must spend a lot of time in the bush! LOL

andrewheth
11-30-2010, 11:33 PM
Its funny how the only people that have been offended by my post are the islanders where there isn't a diverse deer population. Nobody from the rest of BC have made very much fuss.

I guess I just don't get how you can not understand the difference between a white assed mulie and brown broad tailed whitetail. Just from that hillbilly explaination most people could get that I think, don't even need pictures.

Blktail
12-01-2010, 07:43 PM
WOW you must spend a lot of time in the bush! LOL

Yes I do. But I never hunted in the interior until recently. NOt many whities here on Vancouver Island.

This fall was the first time hunting in white tail country. I have seen a few mule deer, even got a few small ones.

I do have about 30 blacktails to my credit. Some are pretty respectable. Many were small, but they fed my family in the lean years and the not so lean years.

You may be able to identify one laying dead, but I bet you couldn't find one alive.:-D LOL

Blktail
12-01-2010, 07:50 PM
Its funny how the only people that have been offended by my post are the islanders where there isn't a diverse deer population. Nobody from the rest of BC have made very much fuss.

I guess I just don't get how you can not understand the difference between a white assed mulie and brown broad tailed whitetail. Just from that hillbilly explaination most people could get that I think, don't even need pictures.

First whitetail I saw was a doe facing me in whitetail doe season. Took a few seconds to ID it when it ran. Unfortunately it took 1/2 a second longer to reach cover.

Can you instantly tell the difference between a mulie and a blacktail? When they are facing you? Maybe you hunt where they all overlap, but some of live on the coast. It's a pity you consider it a handicap:confused:

Fact is you have the manners of an Azz and I am happy to point it out.:-D I bet you don't count brow tines either!:mrgreen:

LukaTisus
12-01-2010, 08:31 PM
LOL To be honest, I wouldn't know a blacktail if it kicked me in the face. :P I've never seen one in person, there's none that I know of around here, and I'd likely have the same confused reaction as someone seeing a whitetail for the first time.

Blainer
12-01-2010, 08:50 PM

I'm not from the island and I don't use my scope for spotting and I find your responses offensive.
Spotting with your riflescope?
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57809 (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57809)

and judging from your gallery,I have shot alot more mulies,whities and blacktail than you and I'm far from an expert.:wink:

Sleep Robber
12-01-2010, 11:58 PM

Like I tell my in-breakers on the boats I run. "Take that wad of sh!t out of your ears and put it in your mouth, you'll still stink, but you might just learn something too."

What you need to learn, is some basic manners. The lad wanted nothing more than some helpful advice, not some glorified know-it-all with an attitude, barking crap at him like you did.

Johnny G1
12-02-2010, 12:20 AM
By the time I change my glasses, I would not likely no if it was a wt or bt and then I would have to look tru my scope that don't agree with either glasses, oh hell wait till next year when I'm totally blind, and another one got away but what the hell, we had a good 50 some yrs. out there and still enjoy the hunt, even if we don't bust a cap.

landphil
12-02-2010, 01:13 AM
Like I tell my in-breakers on the boats I run. "Take that wad of sh!t out of your ears and put it in your mouth, you'll still stink, but you might just learn something too."

What you need to learn, is some basic manners. The lad wanted nothing more than some helpful advice, not some glorified know-it-all with an attitude, barking crap at him like you did.

X2. I hope you don't mind me borrowing that line for my sig.

andrewheth
12-02-2010, 02:02 PM
[quote=Blktail;801557]
Can you instantly tell the difference between a mulie and a blacktail? When they are facing you?

No I probably couldn't ID a Blacktail but I am not trying to hunt them either!! All I am saying is if you are going to hunt a species at least respect the animal enough to research WTF they are!!!

J_T
12-02-2010, 04:44 PM

Most of the whitetail I take, have a black tipped tail. Most WT I want to take, don't know I'm there and are calm, the tail is not up.

hunter1947
12-03-2010, 05:43 AM
My thoughts are if your not sure what to look for when hunting any animal then go with someone to hunt with them that knows the difference..

andrewheth
12-03-2010, 07:33 PM
My thoughts are if your not sure what to look for when hunting any animal then go with someone to hunt with them that knows the difference..

10 4 little buddy thats all I am saying!!