PDA

View Full Version : Mulie advice requested.

landphil
11-28-2010, 09:31 PM
I was out in region 3 today, looking for the elusive 4pt mulie. Went to spot I know is good for mulies, a large cut block with a couple different roads winding throught it. in about h the middle there was a decent sized blow-down across the road, so I decided I'd sit a while, eat my lunch, and proceed on foot, rather than firing up the saw and scaring every living creature away.

After about 5 minutes, I spotted a deer at the top of the ridge across the block - grab binos, one doe, two doe, a BUCK! Not a monster, but looked to be roughly big enough to be a 4 pt. I was not able to count points due to branches and the distance - about 600 yards, another reason I had to get closer.

The wind was in my favor - straight from them to me, and I put some deer piss perfume on anyway. I sat and waited until they stopped staring at me and went back to feeding, not just "fake" feeding. After a bit the buck bedded down, while the does kept feeding. I figured this was my best chance to try to close some distance.

I started up the near side of the draw, angling toward them, stopping every 40 ft or so and checking on them with the binos. After I made it about 80 yards form the truck, the buck got up, and all three trotted over the ridge - far from flat-out spooked and not bounding.

I decided to keep closing distance, in a direct line now, the wind still favorable, and them out of sight. I knew the area behind the top of the ridge was open for about 150-200 yards (and conveniently one road ends up back there) When crested tthe ridge, I was watching closely for any signs of deer, found the bucks bed, and soon spotted one doe about 80 yards away and increasing, then she stopped and looked at me for a while. There was no sign of the other two deer anywhere. After a bit she had enough and took off. I spotted her two more times the last being about 10 minutes long, used my grunt tube numerous times, but still could not see the others. She seemed to be looking for them as well, and wandered off. I walked back out to the truck at the end of shooting light, and never did see the other two again - just two grouse that decided to startle the crap out of me.

Obviously a good spotter would have let me count points, but I still would have had to close more distance for a shot. Any suggestion for better results? Should I have tried to go around the ridge rather than over with the wind in my favour? Or, stayed put and tried to call or rattle him in? Thanks for any helpfull advice.

GoatGuy
11-28-2010, 09:39 PM
Must have seen you, heard you, or both. Gotta manage those issues.

BCrams
11-28-2010, 11:06 PM
Like GG said. Probably saw or heard you or both and I'm betting they saw you .... you 'disappeared' into the draw making your way closer. That told the buck it was time to go when he no longer could keep tabs on your whereabouts.

knighthunter
11-28-2010, 11:25 PM
Like GG said. Probably saw or heard you or both and I'm betting they saw you .... you 'disappeared' into the draw making your way closer. That told the buck it was time to go when he no longer could keep tabs on your whereabouts.

Also pretty much impossible to call or rattle him away from the doe's.

landphil
11-29-2010, 10:00 AM
Yes, they had spotted my by the time I saw them - I think they had been bedded down when I drove into the block, and they for sure saw me for sure while I was moving in - I was on the far side of the draw (and a wide , shallow one at that) trying to use some windfalls, etc for cover. Due to their vantage point, there was no way to keep out of their sight, I was just hoping they would hold tight until I got to the 350yard mark. It doesn't seem like there was much else I could have done under the circumstances, but in case there is, I want to know for next time. Thanks guys.

LukaTisus
11-29-2010, 10:06 AM
I think Mulies like to frequent the same area once they have their does. :P You might just be able to put a stalk on him if the season's not over out your way, he's bound to be in the general area you spotted him. Find the trails they use most often, sit, and wait.. they should wander your way soon enough.

MuleyMadness
11-29-2010, 11:23 AM
I think you were on the right track...only problem I have run into with Mulies is that if they spot you (even a long way off) and suddenly you disappear from where you were, they get edgy and move away, in much the same manner you described. Nothing much you can really do about that as they busted you early, but sometimes what you did will end up with completely different results too.

landphil
11-29-2010, 08:29 PM
The season's open 'til Dec 10th, so yup, I'll be back. Hopefully as the terminator.:wink:

It kinda seemed like a no-win situation, but at least I bucked the tree off the road so should hopefully be able to drive a lot closer next time. Than we'll have proof what works better - walking or road hunting.:-D

savagecanuck
11-29-2010, 08:49 PM
The season's open 'til Dec 10th, so yup, I'll be back. Hopefully as the terminator.:wink:

It kinda seemed like a no-win situation, but at least I bucked the tree off the road so should hopefully be able to drive a lot closer next time. Than we'll have proof what works better - walking or road hunting.:-D
I vote for road hunting,they are far less spooked than walking towards them.I pretty much do all my hunting on an atv and its amazing how close I can drive up to them

Fisher-Dude
11-29-2010, 08:50 PM
Two words that would have changed this situation for the better:

Kraut Optics. :wink:

krazy
11-29-2010, 09:14 PM
When i get in that situation (busted but wanting to get closer) I always back off (while they watch me) until I'm completely out of sight. Then I wait a few minutes and try to come up with an approach from a different angle. Some times you may have to make a big loop around and there's always the wind direction to deal with but when you play your cards right it's actually pretty successful. Many times I've snuck in pretty close from the other side as they are all focused on watching in the direction that they saw me last.

landphil
11-29-2010, 09:57 PM
Two words that would have changed this situation for the better:

Kraut Optics. :wink:

This is your last chance to give me a swaro spotting scope. :-D
Yes, I could have been sure it was a four point, or just a big 3, but still wouldn't have shot it from where I was.

When i get in that situation (busted but wanting to get closer) I always back off (while they watch me) until I'm completely out of sight. Then I wait a few minutes and try to come up with an approach from a different angle. Some times you may have to make a big loop around and there's always the wind direction to deal with but when you play your cards right it's actually pretty successful. Many times I've snuck in pretty close from the other side as they are all focused on watching in the direction that they saw me last.

Hard to do in this situation due to the terrain, but may have worked. It's about the only other option I've come up no matter how many times I've mulled it over. As long as I'd have completed the hike before last light.

landphil
12-09-2010, 10:49 PM
Well, I went back last Saturday to the same block, found 6 does, no sign of the buck in question. Came down with a bad stomach flu that evening to efectively ruined my plan to return Sunday. That's why we call it hunting, not grocery shopping, right? :wink: