PDA

View Full Version : Locals VS Lower Mainlanders

yukon john
11-28-2010, 09:30 PM
I know we all like our secret spots but come on, this morning I hike into a great spot that can be acsessed 2 ways, either you are local and get a key for the gate or you climb 2000 feet in elavation at first light. I dont have a key so I picked option 2.
I got to the top and crossed the road and this quad pulls up and the guy says '' how do you know about this place its private property to get in here yada yada yada.'' I said I climbed in from the other side and never trespassed, he says this is a place for the locals and I asked him were he was going and then hunted in another direction. I ran into him on my way down and he rants at me some more. At no point did I trespass, or do anything illegal, he just drove his quad up the road while I walked in there and he still has the balls to tell me I cant be there. Best part is he left the road and quaded around the alpine for several kms. Sorry had to rant.
YJ

sparkes3
11-28-2010, 09:41 PM
tell him to go blow

mark
11-28-2010, 09:43 PM
For 1....I dont understand what the title of yer thread has to do with your story???
And 2....Ive never heard of private property in the alpine????

Steeleco
11-28-2010, 09:44 PM
I would have told him to piss off and have a nice day. I'm a local, from BC!!!

I take it he had no more luck than you? So much for secrets!!

GoatGuy
11-28-2010, 09:44 PM
Sounds like the secret's out on your spot. :mrgreen:

steelhead
11-28-2010, 09:45 PM

yamadirt 426
11-28-2010, 09:49 PM
let us know the spot and really ruin his day

Gateholio
11-28-2010, 09:51 PM
Sometimes you just have to pretend you are somewhat deaf and just walk away while a person is talking to you....:-D

Timber-hunt
11-28-2010, 10:17 PM
! would of showed him my Balls and asked him which one would you like to kiss lol

Alpine Addict
11-28-2010, 10:57 PM
You have a .338 don't you?

Jelvis
11-28-2010, 11:06 PM
I guess you weren't intimidating looking enough, maybe push some iron and get buffed, then he'd prolly think, wholly that guys in shape, better not mouth him off.
Jel ( the body guard ) Who the H are you? ... Take a hike pal and keep going ... that sort of ting a ling.

aliagha
11-28-2010, 11:13 PM
why was there a gate? was there any logging/mining going on?

Devilbear
11-28-2010, 11:14 PM
I have encountered very similar situations when hunting alone, on foot, in the Kootenays. Some people and often newcomers, especially Yankee draftdodgers seem to think that they have some "ownership" over Crown Lands that belong to all BC citizens.

I have always made a point of being very softspoken and polite in these encounters as I want to leave a lasting, positive impression of hunters. I am also not easily intimidated and would never even consider threatening someone with my hunting gun(s), so, generally, my meetings with others have been quite pleasant and friendly.

Guys like that are just assholes and cannot hike as you did, so, they ride around on atvs, pretending to be outdoorsmen and hunters.....takes all kinds, eh.......

hunter1947
11-29-2010, 03:51 AM
Ya I know where you are coming from this happend a few times to me this year ,I hate quads..

yukon john
11-29-2010, 06:03 AM
why was there a gate? was there any logging/mining going on?

A small corner of some guys property crossed the road at the beginning so he put up a gate to block acess to the mountain, the land owner wasnt a hunter but he lets a few locals have keys

mrdoog
11-29-2010, 06:59 AM
Sometimes you just have to pretend you are somewhat deaf and just walk away while a person is talking to you....:-D

Excellent advice; we don't get enough time on this planet to waste it talking to dorks such as this guy.

Before you disengage from Barney Buttwipe, interrupt him in midsentence with:
"your back tires looking pretty low", then just walk away. Gets him worrying about it and takes his mind off of you.

RJ
11-29-2010, 08:22 AM
A small corner of some guys property crossed the road at the beginning so he put up a gate to block acess to the mountain, the land owner wasnt a hunter but he lets a few locals have keys

Im no expert but I don't think you can put up a gate and block access to crown land like that?

Gun Dog
11-29-2010, 09:39 AM
Sure you can. The issue is that roads tend to follow the terrain and land titles are rectangular plots drawn on a map so roads go on and off private land all the time.

Phreddy
11-30-2010, 06:21 PM
Just tell the craphead "Jesus may love you, but everyone else thinks you're an ass hole".

Islandeer
11-30-2010, 06:39 PM
Damn mainlanders.

Gotem here on the island too ... :wink:

bandit
11-30-2010, 08:36 PM
Sure you can. The issue is that roads tend to follow the terrain and land titles are rectangular plots drawn on a map so roads go on and off private land all the time.

Im with RJ on this one... I took a class on forestry law and the prof said private land cannot withold access to crown land (well for forestry access anyways - may be different for hunting / general use??).
The only thing private land can block is access to other private land.

Jelvis
11-30-2010, 08:43 PM
Lots a ranchers need a lesson in that as well, signs, signs every where a sign do this don't do that can't you read the sign, and the sign said long haired freaky people need not apply, so i tucked my mullet up under my hat, and went into ask him why, he said you look like fine upstanding strong man I want yah bad, then I pulled off my hat and said imagine that meee, workin for you whooo signs signs blockin out the scenery bogglin my mind, what.
Jel .. too many signs .. Can't you read ... the signsssssss?

AT&T
12-01-2010, 08:38 PM
Dam Mainlanders eh. Stay on the coast then. Who needs posers in the interior.

Ubertuber
12-01-2010, 08:49 PM
Some people and often newcomers, especially Yankee draftdodgers ......Draftdogers are newcomers? You're hilarious.

I would have told the guy where to go. Crown land is my land as much as it is his.

budismyhorse
12-01-2010, 09:25 PM
clearly he is a DB.

report him for quadding off-road.

BTW, I go around private land to hunt sometimes and it can be very good hunting because others are scared or don't want to work that hard. lots of land owners think they own everything behind their plot as well and its just hilarious watching them dance around and bitch when they see you legally in their "private" patch of crown.

Devilbear
12-01-2010, 09:30 PM
Draftdogers are newcomers? You're hilarious.

I would have told the guy where to go. Crown land is my land as much as it is his.

To people like me, in the Kootenays, yeah, draftdodgers ARE newcomers and many of the incidents I refer to happened in the '70s, so, they were both newcomers and not a benefit to Canada.....I may be hilarious, but, I am also factually correct.

KevinB
12-01-2010, 09:33 PM
Im with RJ on this one... I took a class on forestry law and the prof said private land cannot withold access to crown land (well for forestry access anyways - may be different for hunting / general use??).

It depends. The landowner may own the road itself where it goes through their land. Just because there is a road, even if it leads through the private land and onto crown land, doesn't mean that someone can drive up it. If it a maintained FSR or a road maintained by Highways, then usually it is not owned by the landowner - but it may be, and the current road user may have an agreement with the landowner that spells out specific uses, etc. It can depend on who built it, for what purpose, and how long ago.

Regardless, the dude sounds like a knob. Rely on Karma.

TheProvider
12-01-2010, 09:37 PM
Im no expert but I don't think you can put up a gate and block access to crown land like that?

You sure can. Private property is private property. I saw it lots in Northern Ontario. Lots of people would buy these small parcels of land and put up gates just to keep people out of the crown land an prime hunting territory. The old moose hunting crew I hunted with wanted to do the exact thing.

TheProvider
12-01-2010, 09:39 PM

I know guys who put up a gate, when forestry companies wanted through they'd get keys. Still kept out all the hikers and hunters.

Jelvis
12-01-2010, 10:02 PM
Perception is wild, it's your own fears and doubt that shuts you out, you think you got no clout, and your right, but in reality you got rights, you got to fight, for the right, to .... Par take .. Par tay .. Beastie Boyz ..
Jel ( Fight 4 the Right ) to Parrrr tayyyyyyy .. = /// --------------------->
Sometimes the sign is at the front and the road is open but no shooting for a k or 2, then Crown's Land.
.. It's all in your mind ........ ye must go on my wayward son, there will be peace when you are done ... don't yah cry no more ... carry on!

dougal
12-01-2010, 10:05 PM
I like the older stretches of back road that have "no hunting/trespassing" "private land" but are so old and broken you cant see them because there on the ground or only on one side of a fence line or nailed to a tree and faded to crap
or when they dont have there property line marked "my land to crown land" and just hope everyone stays out of "there section of forest"
that just makes it hard for the people who want to be good law abiding hunters look like a dick when we find we have crossed a property boundary by mistake. and it also gives bad relations between good well meaning hunters and the cattlemen/farmers/logers who work the areas

dana
12-01-2010, 10:16 PM
Forestry companies never go through private land for free. There is always a deal made. Most of the time it is a certain $ figure per cubic metre that gets hauled through the land. And yes, private land owners can forbid access to forestry if they so choose. Just forces us to come in from another direction if we think the wood is worth the added road building cost.

tackdriver
12-02-2010, 05:49 AM
Forestry companies never go through private land for free. There is always a deal made. Most of the time it is a certain $ figure per cubic metre that gets hauled through the land. And yes, private land owners can forbid access to forestry if they so choose. Just forces us to come in from another direction if we think the wood is worth the added road building cost.

x2 couldnt have said it better myself:mrgreen: