PDA

View Full Version : Frozen Meat and Cutting

Iltasyuko
11-28-2010, 09:24 PM
I got a deer Nov. 23 during the deep freeze in Region 5 and we stayed out in the bush until Saturday the 28th. so the meat has froze of course. I like to cut my game at home using a knife - can i thaw the meat and cut then re-freeze it? Or do I need to take it to a butcher and have them saw it frozen and wrap it without thawing?

west250
11-28-2010, 09:43 PM
You could most likely thaw it out and re freeze it. I've done that with moose trimmings that I wanted made into sausage and roni.

sparkes3
11-28-2010, 09:44 PM
i would head to the butcher for this one

Steeleco
11-28-2010, 09:50 PM
Let it thaw but only to the point where you can cut it. I just today finished the second deer that my buddy shot last weekend. I finished mine yesterday. Come Wed, even here in the LML they were frozen solid. It was cold and hard on the fingers, but it's all done but the cooking!

BromBones
11-28-2010, 09:56 PM
Fly at 'er. Thawing it enough to cut and followed by re-freezing wont hurt. Best if you can cut it while it's only partially thawed. Easy to make straight cuts with the knife, and the meat stays cold.

Have done it a few times with late season deer that froze. Also thawed trimmings & burger out for sausage and froze it again. Never caused bad flavour.

M.Dean
11-28-2010, 10:18 PM
Thaw it enough to cut and wrap it then refreeze it. I've done that lots with no problem. I think the only way it would really do any harm would be if you left it at room temperature for a day or 2 then refroze it. If your really worried about it, stick a half at a time on your Bar Ba Que and invite us all over! We'll bring our own knives and forks!!!