PDA

View Full Version : Coyote Hunting Lac Du Bois

Steelpulse
11-28-2010, 08:29 PM
Had some spare time today so I went out to lac du bois grassland area to look for coyotes and do some general scouting. Didn't see any coyotes but there was sign all over the place with potential stand locations everywhere. Just wondering if anyone predator hunts around there with any success, also is fox hunting allowed I assume not as there is nothing in the regs about it.

Caveman
11-28-2010, 09:48 PM
I won't say there is a ton of coyotes out thee but there are a fair number. It's a big area! Think about trying calling to coax them in

twoSevenO
11-28-2010, 09:57 PM
no hunting of red fox in BC!!!
only if you are a trapper.

Steelpulse
11-28-2010, 11:09 PM
Thanks about the fox info.

Next time i'm out there definitely taking my calls.

illbuyourcatfish
11-29-2010, 12:02 AM
Ive yet to go through the grasslands without seeing a yote.

Pete
11-29-2010, 04:50 AM
Big dogs kill the little dogs. In this case Coyotes killing Foxes. We used to have lots of foxes 30 years ago now it is rare to see one. Even you folks on the lower mainland shoud be aware that since the Coyotes have moved in the fox population has all but disappeared.

Gunner
11-29-2010, 10:55 AM
Big dogs kill the little dogs. In this case Coyotes killing Foxes. We used to have lots of foxes 30 years ago now it is rare to see one. Even you folks on the lower mainland shoud be aware that since the Coyotes have moved in the fox population has all but disappeared.When I was a kid the Cloverdale area was loaded with Red Foxes(and pheasants),there were no coyotes.Since then(early 60s) I have not seen a red fox in the Lower Mainland.Same thing happened in Kitimat,10 or 12 years ago we used to see foxes running around town,now that the coyotes are there the foxes are pretty well gone. Gunner

Jagermeister
01-30-2011, 11:46 AM
Big dogs kill the little dogs. In this case Coyotes killing Foxes. We used to have lots of foxes 30 years ago now it is rare to see one. Even you folks on the lower mainland shoud be aware that since the Coyotes have moved in the fox population has all but disappeared.
I grew up in the South Okanagan,(late 40's to early 70's) and never saw a fox in all my travels.
Saw my first fox when I moved to the Cariboo, little blighters were everywhere, especially along the the in the farm and ranchland close to the Fraser River.
There was an overabundance at Cariboo Pulp and Paper during the construction phase, seems that they were being well fed by scraps from the camp kitchen. After the camp was dismantled, they would approach the trackmobile in the middle of the night looking for a handout.

Will
01-30-2011, 02:00 PM
Had some spare time today so I went out to lac du bois grassland area to look for coyotes
Certainly lots up there......they are very educated and tough to call in, at least for my inferior call abilities.....:-?

I'm sure every dog up there has also been shot at once or twice before, during the deer season that road(and long lake) get pounded all day long.

But as you noticed lots of good stand locations, give er a go ! I had best luck(more sightings) early mornings.....seem to be a lot of dogs heading up to the treeline from Ord rd down below right at sun up !
I'm sure they spend thier evenings cat hunting in the trailer parks:twisted:

Happy Hunting :-D

BabineGuide
01-30-2011, 03:24 PM
There are a ton of coyotes up there. Wait another month and howl them in! Bring a long range rifle with a good bipod for looong shots.

swampthing
01-30-2011, 06:30 PM
I have shot coyotes up there but never when I was hunting them. I have tried calling but spot and stalk always worked best for me. Cover ground and look. Take a dog with you and hike around. They somtimes come in trying to get your dog. This has happened to me but never when I had a rifle.

Matty_ola
01-30-2011, 06:34 PM
I have shot coyotes up there but never when I was hunting them. I have tried calling but spot and stalk always worked best for me. Cover ground and look. Take a dog with you and hike around. They somtimes come in trying to get your dog. This has happened to me but never when I had a rifle.

Don't mean to hi-jack but I've heard storied of that, How do they go about getting your dog? Do they lure the dog away somehow and have the pack ready waiting to pounce???

That would make me very angry:evil:

Jelvis
01-30-2011, 06:36 PM
R we allowed to shoot off the road from Batchelor and what Km mark?
I tink it's 400 meters from the road between 12 and 19 ? or is it 10 to 20 km just past Pass L.
I bet no one knows exactly
Jel come in come in I can't hear you? K-9's at Lacky Doo Bwa

Matty_ola
01-30-2011, 07:05 PM
R we allowed to shoot off the road from Batchelor and what Km mark?
I tink it's 400 meters from the road between 12 and ? or is it 10 to?
I bet no one knows exactly
Jel come in come in I can't hear you? K-9's at Lacky Doo Bwa

I bet I know EXACTLY

Parks, Conservancies, Recreation Areas & Protected Areas marked with

an asterisk (

*) are exempt from the No Hunting No Shooting Restriction

within 400 m of the centre line of park roads. These parks are NOT

exempt from Highway No Shooting and No Hunting Areas

Lac du Bois Grasslands Park*

C'mon Jel push yourself away from the keyboard and pick up a book:wink:

Caveman
01-30-2011, 07:07 PM
City maintenance boundary is the 5km marker. I'm sure you can shoot farther back than that though

Jelvis
01-30-2011, 07:36 PM
Matty your bs'in cuz why don't yah spit out the lousy restrictions since they bought it off the rancher it could have changed.
In the hunting season or when it's closed? Can you shoot off the side of the gravel my coyote friends?
At 10 km or 11 or 13 to just past the McQueener lakesterrrr.
No one really knows and they are scared to say cuz they are wrong and could look real stoopid still.
Jel ( It's a crying shame ) the blame game .. only the parks guy could tell us the real deal ..............Holly Field.

Matty_ola
01-30-2011, 08:49 PM
Now where did I put my Jel/English dictionary???

Matty_ola
01-30-2011, 08:54 PM
Matty your bs'in cuz why don't yah spit out the lousy restrictions since they bought it off the rancher it could have changed.

My quote was from the 2011/2012 regs, so unless the land was just purchased in the past few weeks, The regs on shooting from the road have not changed.

I'm still trying to figure out the rest of your post.... Maybe I'll take it up to the university and see if they can make anything of it:wink:

Jelvis
01-30-2011, 09:16 PM
I been told many things by the local kammy boyz about the shooting up behind Batchelor on the main road to Pass Lake.
Many different stories by those who thought they knew haha. lol.
You know where the snowmobile camp is just b4 Pass Lake on the side of the main?
The ridge opposite and down to McQueen?
The fields by 10 km? Open or closed?
Jel .. Many gates locked now since being bought. Check 4km it's closed completely now for Mo vee's ..
Houston? We got problemose my k9'er's. What's the MU? lol. That's a start lol is this 4 real?

Will
01-30-2011, 09:48 PM
Lac Du Bois is open to the discharge of firearms year round (I should add as long as there is something open to hunt)
It is also exempt from the no shooting for 400m from park roads rule.

As Caveman pointed out the Clearly posted Municipal Boundary marker lets you know near 5 km yer good to go.

Save for a few clearly marked private properties strewn throughout(most of which are clearly posted) the park is certainly open to Hunting yotes or even Whitie Bucks, but I didn't say there are any of those up there :wink:

Stear clear of the 1km NO SHOOTING area surrounding Mcqueen/Isobel lakes if you're near the upper borders and you'll be alright.

Oh and Jel the MU would be 3-28 extending into 3-29 too :-D

Here I stole this map from the "other Loops pred hunting thread" it shows the "private property" areas pretty well.......
http://i923.photobucket.com/albums/ad78/matty_ola/photo-2.jpg

Caveman
01-30-2011, 10:33 PM
http://www.kamloops.ca/communityprograms/pdfs/ARCHBoundary.pdf

here's a link to the city boundary to ponder over as well!

Jelvis
01-30-2011, 10:40 PM
Mara Mt at least part of it is in Kamloops City Limits believe it or not?
Imagine a City by- Law nailng you on top of Mara?
Lol way up there behind Prudence deer prudence won't you come out to play hey hey
Jel ( City of Kamloops ) Don't mess with Kamloops .. BOOM! Out go de Lights .. you won't mess up again.

Caveman
01-30-2011, 10:41 PM
In the hunting season or when it's closed? Can you shoot off the side of the gravel my coyote friends?
At 10 km or 11 or 13 to just past the McQueener lakesterrrr.
No one really knows and they are scared to say cuz they are wrong and could look real stoopid still.
Jel ( It's a crying shame ) the blame game .. only the parks guy could tell us the real deal ..............Holly Field.

Yes, you can shoot from the road at 10, 11 & 13, not in the McQueen Lake "No Shooting Area" and not at Pass Lake either. 400 meter rule does not apply. You need to be out of city limits.

Caveman
01-30-2011, 10:54 PM
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/lacdubois_grass/lacdubois.pdf

Here's a good map of the Lac de Bios grasslands area