PDA

View Full Version : duck hunting

dennisb370
11-28-2010, 08:08 PM
Just would like to know any possible places to take my 7 year old son duck hunting around the lowermainland.I live in Surrey.

sparkes3
11-28-2010, 09:52 PM
head out past the dykes in ladner at the end of river road ,use a walking stick to figure out channels and holes(westham foreshore)or if you have a boat head out from wellington point park

aliagha
11-28-2010, 10:51 PM
you can try Boundary bay (don't shoot snipes in that area), or try ladner dykes as sparkes3 pointed out. pretty good spot for pass shooting. get yourself a Fraser valley special hunting area map it points out all the places open to hunting and pretty much all those places has good duck hunting.
go ahead and spend a morning or evening in these areas and you will for sure get chances on ducks. good luck.

dennisb370
11-30-2010, 08:53 PM
Thanks for the advise.But is there any hunting around surrey or pittmeadows

longshotz
12-01-2010, 10:50 AM
Just would like to know any possible places to take my 7 year old son duck hunting around the lowermainland.I live in Surrey.
Congaratulations on taking your son out waterfowling. We need more like you if we are to carry on the tradition.

Unfortunately the issue of which you are asking about, access, is the bain of all waterfowlers. It is chronically in short supply and the Fraser Valley is no exception.

Not wanting to rain on your parade here, but hunting the fraser valley requires dedication to the exteme, either in the use of expensive equipment, technique, and/or a dog. I say this based on 40+ years of experiance.

You will have noticed posts on the website about a great hunt on such and such a day. Noticeable by it's absence are location specifics. This is usually, though not always, a private access gig, as public land is easily located and accessed with rudimentary equipment or technique, and this is reflected in the often marginal quality of the experiance.

The Fraser Valley map mentioned in a reply to your thread is a good start, but the areas where public (hunting) access is permitted are not the greatest, although they can have their good days.

I live in Maple Ridge and hunt the Pitt Marsh regularly. Boat and/or dog are needed here. The shooting days are only Sat/Sun and Wednesdays. The marsh was frozen up during the recent cold snap and is just now thawing. Shooting is legal from some local dykes, but other restrictions make that largely unviable.

Although (pass) shooting from the dykes is permitted, retrieving downed birds somewhat negates the advantage offered by easy access of walking. The same situation exists to any venue offering (easy) dyke access and pass shooting opportunities. Keep in mind that if you can walk there with your 7 year old, so can every other non-hunter with children and the family pooch.

Ladner marsh remains the only area of quality public hunting available locally to Surrey or Maple Ridge but, like Pitt Marsh, requires boat or at least a well trained dog.

The Boundary Bay and Westham area dykes (actually all tidal dykes) are radically influenced by tides and weather. This style of (dyke) hunting is still practiced by many with varying degrees of success and requires only a minimum of equipment. Good waders, quality rain gear, appropiate camo, a light weight shotgun, some shell type decoys and a back pack to carry all of this will get you by. Unsaid but obvious are a strong back and legs to carry the kit.

Have done the "door knocking" thing to gain access to private land with minimal success that simply doesn't warrant the effort put in. Understandably, who would want strangers with guns wandering around your property at some ungodly hour of the morning. That said, there are propery owners who will cooperate, but are few and far between. My experiance is that access is usually more contingent on who you know than your charming "meet and greet skills".

The position I maintain is that those who have the wherewithal to take on a new hunter should do so, especially those with consistent access to private land, IE. quality hunting.

I have taken on new hunters, and continue to do so, both personally and in my capacity as an executive member of a large rod and gun club. PM me on this if you wish.

Some suggestons to your thread is to first and foremost, join a club which has a larger component of waterfowlers and/or shotgunners. A hunting retriever dog training club is also a good way to meet and be met with others of like interests. Posts on this and other similar websites, may elicit some favorable response. I take it that you already have a shotgun, waders etc, If not then these should be on your list to "Santa". A boat is also a good first upgrade purchase. It can be used by the entire family both in and out of season, and many can be had this time of year at a very attractive price. This will get you access to a lot more opportunities. By inviting other "boatless" hunters out with you this may lead to those "opportunities".

Best of luck.

Dutch
12-01-2010, 11:07 AM
Well said Longshotz,as you probably remember they tried back in the 80's the green "hunting by permission" SIGNS but as usually happens it only takes one to brand us all.I would endorse forshore hunting for Dennis B but you have to pick you're days.A stiff s/e will drive the birds down and give you at least a chance to pick you're shot with a good possibility of retrieving without a dog.I have only hunted 1 year in 37 without one and know how tough it can be.Scouting is also a great way to increase you're chances but it is the experience that you're looking for so even a poor return day can be rewarding ,good luck.

Angus
12-01-2010, 11:12 AM
of a large rod and gun club.

Sorry Gregg, the kid in me had just had to chuckle.

longshotz
12-01-2010, 02:55 PM
Sorry Gregg, the kid in me had just had to chuckle.
Truly a warped personality running loose here.

dennisb370
12-05-2010, 09:42 AM
Thank you longshotz for taking the time to write such a informative post.This is why I joined this site to get some pointers from members who like to share their experiences with others.I am set up fairly well,I just needed some advise as to where to check out some places.Thanks again to everyone for their suguestions.I`m off today to try my luck.

NitwiT
12-05-2010, 10:29 AM
Good luck Dennis, let us know how you make out!

12-05-2010, 06:51 PM
Unfortunately the issue of which you are asking about, access, is the bain of all waterfowlers. It is chronically in short supply and the Fraser Valley is no exception.

I'm not sure I understand that? I hunt on the water and have never had a short supply of hunting spots. If my spot is taken I move to another one.

Not wanting to rain on your parade here, but hunting the fraser valley requires dedication to the exteme, either in the use of expensive equipment, technique, and/or a dog. I say this based on 40+ years of experiance.

yes it requires dedication, but not expensive equipment. I started using my dads red coleman canoe, one dozen hot buy decoys from cabelas for 25$ and an 870. nothin fancy there. and no dog. sure a punt and a dog make life a lot easier, but it is done with great success without as well.

You will have noticed posts on the website about a great hunt on such and such a day. Noticeable by it's absence are location specifics. This is usually, though not always, a private access gig, as public land is easily located and accessed with rudimentary equipment or technique, and this is reflected in the often marginal quality of the experiance.

Almost all of my duck hunts are on public access land/marsh. the green head shoot I posted the other day was in a public marsh. no one wants to give up there go to hunting spots, not just in duck hunting, but with other big game as well. however with water fowl it has been said on here a million times that there is good hunting in ladner and at the pit. if you want to find some of the best spots, go out on a saturday and sunday, or a holiday, paddle or motor around and see where the guys are hunting. they are mostly in the same area, just everyone has there special spot that they like and don't want to share. you can even park at wellington, and glass the marsh for robo's.

Water fowl hunting is not as tough as some people make it out to be. it just takes time, patience, and experience, to figure it out. Certain spots are only good on certain tides. and you don't have to get up at 4 am to shoot a limit. If it was easy it would be called killing not hunting right?

dennisb370
12-06-2010, 07:43 PM
Well I finally made it out today(Monday) to ladner dykes,after checking it out to make sure I can actually hunt there I made my way out into the marsh a popped up a snipe but he flew towards the dyke so i let him go.To make a long story short I shot at a goose and a couple of ducks,but I`m out of practice shooting on the fly and missed everything.Still had a good time and can`t wait to get out again.

Bigbruin
12-18-2010, 09:41 PM
I thought Snipe and Goose were closed in Ladner. Goose till the 18 and Snipe permanently.Maby I should recheck my regs as I am just going by memory

aliagha
12-19-2010, 02:14 AM
i think snipe hunting is only ban in boundary bay not around the ladner side??? i might be wrong.

aliagha
12-19-2010, 02:15 AM
I thought Snipe and Goose were closed in Ladner. Goose till the 18 and Snipe permanently.Maby I should recheck my regs as I am just going by memory

i think snipe hunting is banned in the boundary bay area not the ladner side,???
but i might be wrong

Kudu
12-19-2010, 02:52 PM
Well I finally made it out today(Monday) to ladner dykes,after checking it out to make sure I can actually hunt there I made my way out into the marsh a popped up a snipe but he flew towards the dyke so i let him go.To make a long story short I shot at a goose and a couple of ducks,but I`m out of practice shooting on the fly and missed everything.Still had a good time and can`t wait to get out again.

I take my boys hunting there all the time all be it they are a little older than seven.

We have enough Duck breast in the fridge to last a while.

BTW - Don't shoot at anything unless you clearly identify it otherwise you will have the cyber cops all over your ass.

I too live in Surrey, If you want to go out there just give me shout (PM) always happy to meet up with other HBC members.