PDA

View Full Version : Ek Treestand Archery Hunt

Ddog
11-28-2010, 08:03 PM
Nov 28th was one year from the day when i took the youngster out and hooked up with his beauty biggest WT buck.
this year i decided i was going to be on my own and sit in my treestand that had some huge potential. After the snows in the last week and and a bit it turned out that my stand was situated in a very good spot, i kinda already knew this from all the scouting and hunting in the last 5 years in the spot.
i was hoping it would be the same and it surely was.
last thursday i got to sit in my stand for about 5 hours, but the -25c got the better of me and i had to get out and walk to the truck for some warmth.
Today however was different, just a -6c and snowing steady was the perfect temp and weather to get ready for the long haul and sit from daybreak to dark if i had to.
as soon as i reached the stand and sat down i had 2 does come past in the first 5 minutes, boy oh boy i thought it was going to be a steady day, then by 9am nothing else had come through and i was a little discouraged, but i had to stay just looking at all the trails around my stand, at 10am a beauty 4x4 buck walked on through and i neglected to even pick up the bow on him as i was after one a bit bigger, but he was a nice one.
right after him 10 minutes or so another one, same thing 4x4 down the trail and gone without even a sound.
by 10:30am i had several good bucks pass in bow range and few just out of my range.
then as i was trying to keep the snow from blowing in my face a couple more does trotted on by and then the buck came through a few minutes later.
i trie to video him but he was gone so fast all i could do was grab my bow and hope he came my way. Well as i was peering through the tree in front of me i could see his legs appear, then the chest, then neck head and antlers.
i guess thats the one i will take i thought, as soon as he started his walk towards me i had the perfect opportunity to draw, so i did, he came through and stopped at about 15yards behind the aspen trees in front of my stand, 30 seconds later he made the mistake and stepped out and took a few steps and thats where the arrow flew straight and true through both lungs and the heart. You just cant get a better shot with the bow. 9 yards paced off.
after a brief track he was piled up some 60 or so yards from my point of impact.
at that point my friend Rocksteady's phone was ringing and sure enough came to help me drag him out in the foot and a half of snow. Well close to it anyways. it took us 1 hour 15 minutes to drag him in a sled to the truck.
thanks again Mike, would have been alot harder without ya!
one pic here, more to come of the broadheads POI and the devastion the mechanical spitfires do!
this buck was a serious scrapper, a 5x4 with lots of cuts. he also has a bullet wound that opened him up on the back of the neck,a very close escape, gave him a good flesh wound.
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d167/DDOGGY/IMG_0167.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d167/DDOGGY/IMG_0166.jpg

The Dawg
11-28-2010, 08:06 PM
Way to go Daryl! Nice buck

J_T
11-28-2010, 08:12 PM
Nice buck. I set up camp this weekend, but I have a trip to Victoria this week before I can hunt. Looking forward to it. Excellent buck. Congratulations.

mark
11-28-2010, 08:28 PM
Bowed 1 whitey buck from a blind....definately a rush!

Nice that you had lots of action!

Marc
11-28-2010, 08:29 PM
Good going and perseverance, not sure I could have sat that long in cold weather.

Stéphane
11-28-2010, 08:53 PM
I loved the story. Man, you sure know your hunting territory and what to expect. I'm fairly new to archery and hunting for that matter, and I think stories like this one are inspiring.
Thanks for sharing.

TPB
11-28-2010, 09:12 PM
Nice buck! I dont think i could let the first 4 point walk not to mention the second, nor could i sit in a stand for the day im way to fidgety. Congrats

Ddog
11-29-2010, 04:24 AM
sitting in the stand sure has its boring moments thats for sure, but when the action is good its the best thing having them walk so close by and go about their own business without knowing you are there.

J_T
11-29-2010, 05:04 AM
hmm, becoming one with Nature. From hyper to zen in the treestand..... I love the mornings as the light prevails and the forest awakens the first scamper of the squirrels (the largest/noisiest animal in the forest) or the first bird songs, watching it come alive.

sawmill
11-29-2010, 05:19 AM
Good job Daryl,you have more patience than I!

ydouask
11-29-2010, 07:00 AM
Beautiful buck. Your scouting and persistance surely did pay off, well done !

RoscoeP
11-29-2010, 09:54 AM
Nice deer! How about some details on your bow and arrows, brand, weight, sight etc. Can't let this story die too soon. Cheers Roscoe

Islandeer
11-29-2010, 10:03 AM
Right on,great EK buck!!

I was hunting timber in the EK last week in that - 26 stuff,not sure I could sit that long though.

Congrats.....

Kirby
11-29-2010, 10:05 AM
Congrats on the buck, thats what I've been looking for.

Kirby

rocksteady
11-29-2010, 10:11 AM
Great story Ddog....

More than happy to help you, the rest of the pictures are in your inbox email...

Gonna change my sig line to "Ddog's Sherpa" !!!!!!

bforce750
11-29-2010, 11:20 AM
Great job Darryl!!! nice buck I shot a dandy yesterday.

Ruger4
11-29-2010, 11:27 AM
Nice buck Daryl , congrats :mrgreen:

mntbowhunter
11-29-2010, 12:51 PM
Nice, good job!

d6dan
11-29-2010, 12:57 PM
Congrats Ddog, thats a great bow killed whitetail!.

Ddog
11-29-2010, 02:16 PM
i was actually looking for a bigger one, (arent we all) i actually thought this buck was bigger, damn ground shrinkage, but i am extremely happy with this buck, nice way to finish my tags. great season with some prime meat in the freezer.
oh and for those that want to know.
Bow: Hoyt magnatec set at 65lbs
broadheads: Spitfire XP Mechanical 100Gr.
Sights: Cobra Sidewinder 3pin
Arrow: Gold Tip Hunter Expedition 5575 with 2" blazer vanes

Ddog
11-29-2010, 10:32 PM
just checking to see if this works.
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d167/DDOGGY/th_IMG_0161.jpg (http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d167/DDOGGY/?action=view&current=IMG_0161.mp4)

Stéphane
12-17-2010, 05:36 PM
Darryl, I was wondering if you have a "ritual" before pulling the trigger. I read that most bow hunters who miss, is because they shoot too fast. The author of the article mentioned one should play in his/her head a check list or a sentence before pulling the trigger (He said 10 sec). Do you do something like that? How long would you say it takes you between the aim and pulling the trigger?

Thanks.

Stéphane

Ddog
12-17-2010, 06:44 PM
between aiming and pulling the trigger for me all depends on where the animal is, i generally find a tree that has good cover around it and some good drawing opportunities, meaning that where an animal is coming from there should be some area where you are able to draw and be undetected.
my ritual is always picking a spot where my arrow will exit the animal, and never look anywhere else, i always say to myself "right there is where the arrow will have to hit in order for my exit to be perfect". i have been on draw as long as minute and as short as 10 seconds.

knockturnal
12-17-2010, 08:37 PM
nice buck! its identicle to one i took early on in the season.

Mountaintop
12-17-2010, 08:46 PM
I read that most bow hunters who miss, is because they shoot too fast. The author of the article mentioned one should play in his/her head a check list or a sentence before pulling the trigger (He said 10 sec).

Stephane, interesting that you read that misses are because the bow hunter shoots too fast. I had two spectacular misses this season and looking back they were both rushed shots. On the hits I got I was relaxed, took my time and focused in on where the heart should be. Probably about 10-15 seconds. With a buck in the sights 10-15 seconds seems like an eternity but I kept remembering what was told to me here on the forum: nerves of steel.

Good luck with your one day hunt up in 8