PDA

View Full Version : hunting boots

robertmcallan
11-28-2010, 07:39 PM
my boots have blown out on me this year mostly my fault i bought wall mart boots but i am wondering what is a good all season hunting boot

The Dawg
11-28-2010, 07:41 PM
I love my Irish Setter Tamaracks.

Picked em up from Marks Work Wearhouse about 4 years ago, and loved them ever since.

yukon john
11-28-2010, 09:17 PM
Cant beat kenetrek mountain extremes, tough, light, good warrenty, for the average hunter they will last for years and be well worth the price

bc kid
11-28-2010, 09:22 PM
Cant beat kenetrek mountain extremes, tough, light, good warrenty, for the average hunter they will last for years and be well worth the price
i agree and thats all folks

Yak
11-28-2010, 10:19 PM
Ive had a pair of Irish Setter Elk tracker boots for almost 5 years now and their probably the best boots ive owned outside my Viberg caulks.

Im planning on ordering another pair.

Yak

115 or bust
11-28-2010, 10:21 PM
Watched my buddies slide around like taboggans in the snow in irish setters, make sure if you get a pair they have good traction.

B.C.Boy(100%)
11-29-2010, 10:14 AM
This is just my three cents on boots, I can not comment on any other brand of boot yet, as these are all I have had so far.

I had a pair of Danner's that the liner let go in this year (wet feet suck)
still wanting to keep hunting the areas I am still hunting this season, I needed another pair of Gore-Tex boots to keep the feet dry so I ordered a my third pair of Danners, and sent back the second pair for repair.

This time I went with their 'Trophy' Model (made in USA), with the Danner Bob outsole, what an awesome traction boot in the snow, warm with 600 grams of insulation, and sturdy with a 10" high leather upper (it's all leather) paid $320 + duties for them. Shipping was free this time.
The Canadian model is very similar to the Trophy model, except for the location of some hardware by the middle, when tying up the lace the eylets are back a bit in the mid section and help to hold your ankle in place way better than the Canadians did when I was trying them on.

Danner got back to me about fixing my Frontier GTX boots (made in China model), said we don't make those anymore, so here's a new pair of equal value on us. sweet, their warranty is only for the first 12 months, my boots were 18months at time they started to leak and Danner knew that as per my letter and the receipt. Another plus for Danner.

My first pair of Danner's (a made in China model 8", High Country's) these boots also had the Danner Bob sole (x2), they lasted me seven years before leaking, I still wear them today at 9.+ years, I have become a Danner fan because of these rugged pair of boots, these boots went on four long pack in sheep trips, spring bear, countless hours of play in the snow, trail hiking and my blacktail addiction during those seven water tight years. many miles on them (well up into the thousands for sure)

I also have a pair of Viberg's (251X) that do well, they are not gore-tex or insulated, which make them a good candidate during the warmer spring bear months, where the 600 grams of insulation in the Danner's is a bit too much heat on the feet then.

BiG Boar
11-29-2010, 10:19 AM
Another vote for the danner canadians. However due to the lack of extreme ankle support I would hesitate to do a serious sheep hunt in them. This was learned on a goat hunt. However for moose, deer, and everything that is an okay hike, I would highly recomend the comfort and warmth of them.

Weatherby Fan
11-29-2010, 10:59 AM
I've been using Rocky Boots for 20 yrs and on my 3rd pair,very good boot for the money,Rocky Lynx with 800grm of thinsulate and gortex and a decent sole a very good all round hunting boot,I hunt elk,sheep,mule deer and do lots of backpacing in the alpine and they never let me down and no blisters !
You can buy them most anywhere even Canadian Tire 189.00 got my son a pair last yr on sale for 129.00
The last pair I got from Cabelas in Lacey,Wa in the bargain cave for $50

Maestro
11-29-2010, 11:41 AM
HAIX!

German made ( not China ). Hunting HAIX Montana boots based on boots for Bundeswehr mountain infantry. Have had them for 5 years - no problems, no leaks and very good in mountains. Every pair has it's own serial number.

KevinB
11-29-2010, 10:48 PM
Depends how much you want to spend, what kind of hunting you do, and in what kind of terrain. If you're a big guy you'll tend to be harder on boots.

I invested in a pair of Lowas (Baffin Pro) this year and I like them. They are certified goretex-free (bless those who still make non-goretex leather boots), comfortable, and I think they will prove to be durable.

I'm not a fan of goretex in boots. If I need dry feet I'll wear a rubber boot.

dana
11-29-2010, 10:55 PM
Kevin,
Even small guys can be hard on boots. ;) I don't think there are too many that kill boots as well as I can. :mrgreen:

Islandeer
11-30-2010, 12:07 AM
Hanwags ....

Bistchen
11-30-2010, 12:10 AM
WARNING !!! Dont listen to any of the other posts! There is only one boot.

MEINDL SUPER PERFEKT

Borrowed my dads for last part of the hunting season, will be buying them in the spring. They are expensive, but if you want a boot thats as strong as you are and no BS, buy them!

wildcatter
11-30-2010, 12:16 AM
MEINDL boots made in Germany are one of the best, I've had mine for many years and still going strong.
Gortex lining and they felt comfortable the first time I put them on.

Deaddog
11-30-2010, 06:54 AM
Meindl or Kentrecks... either one is a great choice..

Maestro
11-30-2010, 11:48 AM
WARNING !!! Dont listen to any of the other posts! There is only one boot.

MEINDL SUPER PERFEKT

Borrowed my dads for last part of the hunting season, will be buying them in the spring. They are expensive, but if you want a boot thats as strong as you are and no BS, buy them!
They are not mountain boots
Those are mountain
http://www.ajbrooks.com/qs/product/40/2352/139729/0/0

pete_k
11-30-2010, 11:51 AM
No such thing as a good ALL season boot.
You'll need two pairs.

KevinB
11-30-2010, 10:29 PM
Kevin,
Even small guys can be hard on boots. ;) I don't think there are too many that kill boots as well as I can. :mrgreen:

you're right! I should have said "all else being equal" but I don't know if I've met your equal in the "gear testing" department! :wink: Just imagine if you were 6'3" and 220#. You'd have to start your own boot company.

dutchie
11-30-2010, 10:37 PM
You'll need two pairs.

I will second that...

I have hanwags for early season and alpine hunts... rocky, dry, wet, tough terrain these boots go on.

Snowy, cold, slushy, still hunting i put on my Irish setter elk trackers.

The Vibram sole on the Hanwags, is too hard for the snow... the elk trackers do not have the support for the alpine...

I think that if you were confined to 1 boot then pick up a pair of elk trackers or full leather NON-VIBRAM soled boots.

Vibram rubber is just a very hard rubber and it works well in most conditions except the mossy dirt, clay dirt, or snow.

Dutchie

porcupine
11-30-2010, 10:38 PM
You'll need two pairs.

I agree, unless you only do one type of hunting or only hunt one type of terrian.

I love my Meindl Canada Pro and my Muck boots.

BigSlapper
11-30-2010, 10:56 PM
La Sportiva (Italian/on my 3rd pair) or Meindl (German/have had 8+ pairs over the years) ... amazing boots when you have an appropriate fit

moose2
11-30-2010, 11:39 PM
I have used both meindls canada pro and kenetrek mountian extream in the last two seasons with a sheep trip in both those years as well. I have had pros and cons with both.

Meindls Pros - very comfortable from day one no blisters
- Good tough soles
- Ankle cleats holds foot back well no toe jam on downhill
- good ankle support

Cons - leaked from day one
- wore out inside liner in one season now boots are useless I haven't looked into the warrenty yet.
- a bit heavy
- expensive

Kenetrek Pros - Very dry
- and comfortable now
- good ankle support
- very light
- very good traction and grip on soles
- warm in cooler weather

Cons - small blister during break in
- feet slid against toe of boot causing two black big toe nails
- soles seem soft and cut easy in the rocks
- expensive

Over all I would chose the Kenetrek because of them staying dry , but neither boots are perfect and I am sure you could spend less and find good boots.
MIKE

7mag700
12-01-2010, 10:31 AM
Almost bought the Irich Setter Elk Trackers but the 600 Thinsulate was too warm for me, so I went with the Gun Flints. Love 'em so far - I've even been wearing 'em to work they're so comfortable.

7m7