PDA

View Full Version : Chilliwack . . . Where did they go?

Stéphane
11-28-2010, 10:07 AM
I went out yesterday and no luck. I went up the Cheam range in the snow until my truck wouldn't go up anymore - 5km from the top. What was bizarre was the fact that there was no tracks at the top. This is a place where I followed a a doe and her 2 fawns for over 1km. A place where I saw lots of grouse. Now, not one track, chirp . . . nothing. There isn't a day that I went there last summer that I didn't see games. This is going once to twice a week.

I went down a couple thousand feet, thinking they might have been migrating to lower levels. One old set of deer tracks, many fresh bear tracks (small ones) and coyote tracks. That's it. Except maybe for these "huge" coyotes paw prints. Or were they wolf tracks? The track was by itself and too pointy to be a cougar track. Sorry, no picture.

Chuck
11-28-2010, 10:25 AM
If stormy weather is imminent and a snow dump is expected, they'll tend to hole up and not move. Then, if you hit the bush too soon after the snowfall,
they won't have got up out of their hidey-holes yet. Second day after the storm usually has them up and about feeding again and making tracks everywhere and need I say, usually at night. If you cut fresh tracks, and they seem to be milling about and feeding - then start hunting hard. But if the tracks are all heading non stop in a particular direction, then they're probably moving out for greener pastures.

Stéphane
11-28-2010, 11:31 AM
If stormy weather is imminent and a snow dump is expected, they'll tend to hole up and not move. Then, if you hit the bush too soon after the snowfall,
they won't have got up out of their hidey-holes yet. Second day after the storm usually has them up and about feeding again and making tracks everywhere and need I say, usually at night. If you cut fresh tracks, and they seem to be milling about and feeding - then start hunting hard. But if the tracks are all heading non stop in a particular direction, then they're probably moving out for greener pastures.

Thanks, Chuck. It makes total sense. I thought I was be done for the season, but now I think I'll go one more time.

ruger#1
11-28-2010, 07:36 PM
Hunt below the snow line. The mountain I am hunting on, They follow the snow. Seen lots of tracks today, But no deer.

live-for-the-rut
11-28-2010, 08:24 PM
Hunt lower down for sure,even below the snow line there's lots of them Blacktails in there!Don't be afraid to hike into the timber patches in between the clear cuts,there's still alot of bucks hanging with the does!!!good luck