PDA

View Full Version : Release length and type

RoscoeP
11-28-2010, 09:15 AM
Well my bow is on the way and now I need my accessories. There is a 20% off sale starting today at the bow shop. I have never used a release before need to know where the jaws should should be in relation to your finger tips, say with the hand open.
Also which types of jaws are better? Single hook or the double. This store sells mostly TRU-ball releases, any model better than others?
I just don't want to end up with a drawer full of bow accessories that didn't work for me.
Any thoughts on sights or rip-cord rests, don't want to spend more than $100 per item. Cheers Roscoe

Stéphane
11-28-2010, 09:36 AM
Man, Am I glad I'm not the only one needing advice. I started to think I would need to put Bow Walker on a payroll. Roscoe, I really this site below for explaining how to choose my archery needs. Forums are great, but it remains people's opinion. What's great for one, might not be for another. That's why I like the site I put at the end of the post. It often goes into great details on how things work and let you decide what factors are important to you.

The release I bought cost me $60 (I'm sure it's worth less somewhere), because it was the most popular, and it will be cut to fit me. Don't ask me the name, I forgot. I thought it was a predator, but there's no such thing. It's still at my pro-shop. He showed me 2 other styles: one I didn't like because I had to lock it on the string(cheaper in$) and the other was almost twice the price. Not ready to pay that much when I'm not even sure what I need.

Hey, which bow shop has 20% off?

SG

http://www.huntersfriend.com/

Bowzone_Mikey
11-28-2010, 11:35 AM
Roscoe .... Of the tru ball line I like the Beast and Beast 2 ... Open jaw .. easy to hook onto your loop or string (with enough practice you should be able to do it without looking at your rig while your keeping yer eyes on the prize)
I also like the "short and sweet" as its fairly simple ...and as the name suggests ...

Truballs are good releases .... Carter, Stanlawski are excellent releases and the price reflects that .... for under a hundy a Truball will fit the bill

I am not a big fan of the ripcord rests ... as you lock it into place ... draw and cord activates a pin that releases the lock up position .... many things can foul that process up and have seen 2 differant rests fail the same way ... If you want a containment fallaway ... Trophy taker makes one, and APA does as well ... My personal opinion is that your money would be better spent on those products with the first nod going to the APA model.

As far as sights go ... there are litererally thousands of differant models made by 100s of manufaturers .... any you have in mind ....

For hunting sights I like Spot Hogg, I like Cobras higher end ... I like Copperjohn and Surelocs ... All have proven me that they are tough and can take a beatin'. What do youy want in a sight?

Bow Walker
11-28-2010, 12:37 PM
R.P....your personal limit of $100.00 per item will be tough to maintain. A good (serviceable) release will likely run into the $125.00 range. A quality rest will be up into the $140/$150 range. Sights - good ones - run up into the $300.00 range. Yikes! for sure.

Releases;
I'm with Mikey, in that I'd be taking a hard look at the TRU-ball Short 'n Sweet S1 and S2 releases. Their Beast line is worth a close look as well.

Looks like we also agree on the hook-style of releases. It is way easier to load on the loop than any other style.

Yes. You do need a d-loop with the hook releases. :wink:

I always set mine up so that the end of the release is at the middle knuckle on my first finger - when laying in an open palm. That way, when you're taking up the draw weight you can easily put your trigger finger behind the trigger when you're drawing your bow. Never an accidental release that way. Trust me on this - I've found out the hard way... :cry:

As for rests;
I personally use the APA Safari Twister on my hunting and on my target bow. Simplistic, reliable, and works like a charm. http://www.apaarchery.com/arrow-rests-twister.html

If I were to be looking for a different rest (although I don't have a reason to, yet) I'd be looking very closely at the Q.A.D. ULTRA-REST PRO SERIES HD http://www.qadinc.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=29 I'd also get the black one to save a few $$. :wink:

Sights;
Sights are particular to each archer/shooter. As Stephane says - what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another. It's a personal choice thing. You gotta look at what's available and get what tickles your fancy.

What do you intend to do with your bow? Hunt? 3D? Strictly target? Answer those questions and that will narrow the field a wee bit. You can get sights that are good for both hunting and 3D. Target sights are, by nature, the most expensive - running into the $1,000.00 range without in the blink of the eye.

You've also got to decide of you want vertical pins or horizontal pins. There's definite advantages to both styles. Personally I like the vertically aligned pins - people either like/love them or hate them, it's a personal choice.

Spot Hogg make sights that can take a beating and still perform, but expect to pay for that type of ruggedness - up to $500.00 http://spot-hogg.com/products/bow_sights/index.php

Trophy Ridge make sights that come in either vertical or horizontal configurations. They are less expensive and they do last. I've had (and used) a variety of them. http://www.trophyridge.com/sights/

Expect (whatever your choices) to be looking to change or try something new about every other year. :wink: New stuff comes out every year. It all looks good.

Once you get used to using your gear you'll be looking at different types and configurations. You will want to try something different. It's inevitable.:( Don't fight it. The only thing that I haven't changed in 5 years is my bow. I've got a Diamond Liberty for a hunting bow and I absolutely love it.

Good luck and welcome to the fraternity.

Bowzone_Mikey
11-28-2010, 12:45 PM
Yes. You do need a d-loop with the hook releases. :wink:

There are one or 2 that you can shoot off the string as the jaw assembly is swiveled ahead of the trigger ... that said ... I still dont reccomend it

Bow Walker
11-28-2010, 12:55 PM
Plus - a single hook style of release allows for a smaller, tighter d-loop which will help with that loss of draw length that a lot of shooters are concerned about.

RoscoeP
11-28-2010, 02:19 PM
Hey guys and gals well I just read most of this advice "after" I got back from the store. As luck would have it I bought the "TRU Ball Short-N-Sweet with the velcro wrist closure. I tried it on and it fit the best.I also bought a "Fuse Axium 4" stabilizer and I bought a G5 optix magnesium alloy sight. It is really sweet 5 pin super light medium length nice camo colour. Got them all for $302 all in (20% off) I didn't buy a rest yet and think I may start with a wisker bisquit. I may get the one from Martin as it comes with the martin side plate which fits right into the bow adapter. It is made by "wildman" I believe. I will shoot "Blazer vanes" so hope that won't be an issue.
I will be mostly doing 3-D for fun, targets for practice and maybe hunting next year, we will see. Steph bye the way the sale is a ladies only sale @ "Tyee Marine in Courtenay" Guys have to bring there better half to get the deal.
Well I am happy with my choise real glad I got the Short-N-Sweet after hearing your coments. So thanks again everyone and happy shooting. Cheers Roscoe

Ike
11-28-2010, 03:03 PM
I have the G5 XR on my bow, which has the 3 fixed and one moveable pin model. I think it is a great rest.

Glad you were able to find your stuff and save some $$ too.

Cheers

RoscoeP
11-28-2010, 03:37 PM
I have the G5 XR on my bow, which has the 3 fixed and one moveable pin model. I think it is a great rest.

Glad you were able to find your stuff and save some $$ too.

Cheers
I believe mine is the LE model, I can add a light if I want. Speaking of light, it is very light, after taking it out of the packaging I was amazed at how little it weighed. Some I looked at felt like they were made of steel. I like the pin setup, I really think it will fit my needs. Thanks for your post. Cheers Roscoe

Bowzone_Mikey
11-28-2010, 03:43 PM
Blazers will be fine through a Bisquit .... I have shot them , My friends have shot them .... be sure to "armour all" the whiskers and for good measure ... apply a dab of glue to the leading edge of the vane ....

you got out the door at a great deal ....

a WB should set you back about 50 bucks +/- 10 bucks .... I have seen them in PG for 40 and seen em for 60 new in store

RoscoeP
11-28-2010, 04:50 PM
Blazers will be fine through a Bisquit .... I have shot them , My friends have shot them .... be sure to "armour all" the whiskers and for good measure ... apply a dab of glue to the leading edge of the vane ....

you got out the door at a great deal ....

a WB should set you back about 50 bucks +/- 10 bucks .... I have seen them in PG for 40 and seen em for 60 new in store
I just ordered one from Martin with the carbon side plate adapter for $53, shipping was a little high but no tax and our dollar is near par so all is good. I will try the armour all and glue. I will see how it works for me and go from there. Thanks again everyone. Roscoe

Stéphane
11-28-2010, 06:10 PM

Great, another guy to put on payroll.

My release is a "stinger". I was looking at Wholesale Sports - now that's one overrated store if you ask me - and I saw the Stinger. They have one for $45 and one for $74. I have no clue which one I bought, but since I trust my pro shop guy, I'm sure I got a good one. I'm waiting for my rest to arrive by mail, and it is the Mantis by Wildman. It cost me $36.00 shipped.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Wildman-Mantis-Capture-Arrow-Rest-/120646244744?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c17139988

If I ever get enough money, I still plan to get a drop away for reasons stated in other threads. The cheapest price for them is here:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/QAD-ULTRA-REST-PRO-HD-BLACK-RH-/380231515899?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5887907efb

RoscoeP
11-28-2010, 07:27 PM
Great, another guy to put on payroll.

My release is a "stinger". I was looking at Wholesale Sports - now that's one overrated store if you ask me - and I saw the Stinger. They have one for $45 and one for $74. I have no clue which one I bought, but since I trust my pro shop guy, I'm sure I got a good one. I'm waiting for my rest to arrive by mail, and it is the Mantis by Wildman. It cost me $36.00 shipped.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Wildman-Mantis-Capture-Arrow-Rest-/120646244744?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c17139988

If I ever get enough money, I still plan to get a drop away for reasons stated in other threads. The cheapest price for them is here:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/QAD-ULTRA-REST-PRO-HD-BLACK-RH-/380231515899?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5887907efb

I guess I will have to go half's on the payroll for Bowzone_Mikey and Bow Walker and others.(great site)
The other rest I am interested in is the APA twister, I think Bow Walker has that one. Saw a APA video and it looks like the arrow goes right through the opening of the rest as it drops or twists or what ever it does. Seems to get great reviews. Bow Walker if you read this what kind of vanes do you shoot through that thing? Well back to the Grey Cup. Cheers

Bow Walker
11-29-2010, 12:30 PM
I guess I will have to go half's on the payroll for Bowzone_Mikey and Bow Walker and others.(great site)
The other rest I am interested in is the APA twister, I think Bow Walker has that one. Saw a APA video and it looks like the arrow goes right through the opening of the rest as it drops or twists or what ever it does. Seems to get great reviews. Bow Walker if you read this what kind of vanes do you shoot through that thing? Well back to the Grey Cup. Cheers
I've been using the APA Safari Twisters for quite a few years now. I bought my original one for hunting - I wanted total containment plus the "drop away" features. I was very happy with it.

So happy that after trying 2 or 3 other rests on my target bow (Hoyt Vectrix XL) and not being happy with those, I bought another Twister and am very satisfied with the results.

I shoot the 'regular' 2" Blazer vanes on my hunting arrows and either Blazers or 3 1/2" Vane Tec vanes on my target arrows. I've shot the 4" Vane Tec vanes through the Twister rest and have had absolutely NO problems with fletching contact at all.

I agree with BZM that you should be putting a good dab of glue on the front (and back) edge(s) of your vanes. I do it for all my arrows - just because it adds an extra level of protection to the vanes, especially on pass-throughs of animals or targets. Peace of mind is a great thing to enjoy.

Bow Walker
11-29-2010, 12:40 PM
Oh yeah...I forgot to say that you got a super deal with your goodies that you bought. Congrats.

I was going to say that I would advise buying at least a 4-pin sight. 5 pins are even better - it's what I use (and recommend) for both 3D and hunting.

I personally prefer the velcro wrist strap over the buckle type because I feel that the velcro closure is more secure and will not stretch, over time. Leather buckle-type straps have a tendency for the hole that is used the most to begin to stretch out after a lot of usage, while the velcro won't do that. Plus the velcro strap are generously padded and are much more comfortable on my wrist.

Good "score" on your goodies thus far. I know that you'll enjoy the Whisker biscuit as well because it will hold your arrows without you having to worry about them banging or clattering around.

Hopefully you've got the right size 'hole' in your WB rest. The hole must be just a wee tad bigger than your arrow shafts - whether you shoot carbons or aluminums. Go the WB website and check out the Sizing Chart to see what I mean.

mntbowhunter
11-29-2010, 12:49 PM
"be sure to "armour all" the whiskers"

Not sure about that? Unless you can now buy scent free armour all? Or you dont plan on hunting at all?:???:

RoscoeP
11-29-2010, 02:14 PM
Scorpion makes a scent free product for whiskers. Probably costs 3 times more for the tiny bottle.
I did look into the whisker hole size. They had sm and med, forgot the diameter but the med seemed to be abit larger than the arrows. Hope it works ok. If things don't work out with that I may look into the APA twister. Cheers Roscoe
oh, forgot to ask, does the arrow go through the rest or over the top of it?

Bow Walker
11-30-2010, 11:26 AM
Scorpion makes a scent free product for whiskers. Probably costs 3 times more for the tiny bottle.
I did look into the whisker hole size. They had sm and med, forgot the diameter but the med seemed to be abit larger than the arrows. Hope it works ok. If things don't work out with that I may look into the APA twister. Cheers Roscoe
oh, forgot to ask, does the arrow go through the rest or over the top of it?
On a WB it goes through the rest. On a Safari twister it goes through the rest.

Is that what you were asking?

RoscoeP
11-30-2010, 11:56 AM
On a WB it goes through the rest. On a Safari twister it goes through the rest.

Is that what you were asking?
Yea, I was refering to the APA twister, saw a video but it was hard to make out. Looked like as you drew back it lifted the arrow up inside the triangle wire part then as you released it dropped as the arrow was going through it? If that is correct is there plenty of clearance for the vanes?
Also am I correct that they are made in Sask. Canada?
Thanks again Roscoe

Bow Walker
11-30-2010, 01:27 PM
Yea, I was refering to the APA twister, saw a video but it was hard to make out. Looked like as you drew back it lifted the arrow up inside the triangle wire part then as you released it dropped as the arrow was going through it? If that is correct is there plenty of clearance for the vanes?
Also am I correct that they are made in Sask. Canada?
Thanks again Roscoe
You're right about how the Twister works.

Yes, there is plenty of clearance for almost any vane type or feather. :wink:

The company is headquartered in a place called Biggar Saskatchewan. Entirely Canadian owned and operated.:-D

Bowzone_Mikey
11-30-2010, 03:06 PM
"be sure to "armour all" the whiskers"

Not sure about that? Unless you can now buy scent free armour all? Or you dont plan on hunting at all?:???:

Been using Armour all on whisker bisquits since 2002 .... the 6 animals I have taken personally with a WB, the well over 200 of people that I know personally have taken ... the 100s of thousands that you can read about online have yet to complain obout the scent of the Armour All ...

Its reccomended practice that started with Carolina Archery products (the original makers of the WB) when it first hit the market and still to this day by Trophy ridge/Fred Bear products

RoscoeP
11-30-2010, 05:47 PM
Been using Armour all on whisker bisquits since 2002 .... the 6 animals I have taken personally with a WB, the well over 200 of people that I know personally have taken ... the 100s of thousands that you can read about online have yet to complain obout the scent of the Armour All ...

Its reccomended practice that started with Carolina Archery products (the original makers of the WB) when it first hit the market and still to this day by Trophy ridge/Fred Bear products
I will try the Armour all, maybe it works better as a deer lure than "Tinks" and the other deer lure products. Thanks Roscoe

RoscoeP
11-30-2010, 05:58 PM
You're right about how the Twister works.

Yes, there is plenty of clearance for almost any vane type or feather. :wink:

The company is headquartered in a place called Biggar Saskatchewan. Entirely Canadian owned and operated.:-D

Well I had a few extra dollars kicking around so I ordered a "APA Twister" today. First rest here goes on first, provided the bow is here.
APA's web site was new and improved today and they had a new one to confuse me abit more. It is called the "Twister CD" for cable drive. It is the same as the Twister but recommended for bows with roller guides. I had to look up a picture of my bow as I don't have the bow yet. Looks like it has rollers so that is the one I ordered.
Looks like you just tie the small rope into the drive cable with a D loop knot. Sure hope I ordered the right one? Now I will have two to mess with.
When I get all setup I will try and figure out how to post some pictures. Cheers everyone. Roscoe

Bow Walker
12-01-2010, 11:40 AM
My Twister isn't one of the newer CDs but I've always tied mine into the downward traveling cable. I got into the habit a long time ago and have just kept doing it that way.

Works 100% of the time. Seems to me (correct me if I'm wrong) that if dirt/ice/snow (or whatever) got on your cable guard that the slide could chatter as the bow releases - making too much noise. Anal? Probably.

I've always split my buss cable and inserted the rest string, then melted the end and served above to prevent accidental slippage.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/TrophyTakerReleaseRope1.jpg

There's no need to serve as much as is pictured, but it can't hurt.

:wink: Really, you can use either type of Twister on your bow - whether or not you have a roller style cable guard. :-D

RoscoeP
12-01-2010, 02:29 PM
My Twister isn't one of the newer CDs but I've always tied mine into the downward traveling cable. I got into the habit a long time ago and have just kept doing it that way.

Works 100% of the time. Seems to me (correct me if I'm wrong) that if dirt/ice/snow (or whatever) got on your cable guard that the slide could chatter as the bow releases - making too much noise. Anal? Probably.

I've always split my buss cable and inserted the rest string, then melted the end and served above to prevent accidental slippage.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/TrophyTakerReleaseRope1.jpg

There's no need to serve as much as is pictured, but it can't hurt.

:wink: Really, you can use either type of Twister on your bow - whether or not you have a roller style cable guard. :-D

Looks like a good way to do it, is there a special type of thread to tie that in? Thanks again. Roscoe

Bowzone_Mikey
12-01-2010, 02:59 PM
Roller cable guide is like where the cables go thru on this picture ....

this bow is bare ... right now ... not certain on what I am gonna do with it

As opposed to traditional cable slide ... witch is a teflon slide along a rod in place of the wheels

Bow Walker
12-02-2010, 11:53 AM
Damn! I really dis-like thumbnail pics. No offence intended Mike.

RP - you can go out and buy Serving Thread (about .18" or .20") it's nylon and will melt to a ball tip on the end just nicely.....or - you can use dental floss, the unscented kind, waxed is OK. Dental floss will also melt quite nicely. Just be real careful not to melt the string/cable!!