PDA

View Full Version : Venison Rouladen

jamfarm
11-27-2010, 08:38 PM
Just wondering if anyone has tried making rouladen with venison?
I think I might try it with a roast and see how it turns out...

betteroffishing
11-27-2010, 08:42 PM
should be fantastic , post up some pics once their done.

BigfishCanada
11-27-2010, 08:47 PM
I just googled Rouladen recipes and I may have to try it myself,

Tonight I boiled some deer ribs in water with salt, balsamic vinegar for 20 minutes,Then I took them out, cut them up into individual ribs, coated them with oregano, garlic (tons of garlic) pepper and topped them with lime juice, then onto the bbq for 10 minutes and they were amazing!!!!!

CanuckShooter
11-28-2010, 07:40 AM
Just wondering if anyone has tried making rouladen with venison?
I think I might try it with a roast and see how it turns out...

It will turn out delicious.....wifey makes it with moose/deer/elk and they all turn out great!!!

Downtown
11-28-2010, 02:27 PM
It will turn out delicious.....wifey makes it with moose/deer/elk and they all turn out great!!!

My Wife has been making them mostly from Moose and Elk for over 30 years. Dougther and soon to be Dougther in Law will follow suit.

I found that semifrozen Meat slizes very nice and easy with a good 14" Butcher knife.

Can't wait to get home for Xmas mmmmmmmmm.:-D

Brew
11-28-2010, 02:29 PM
search it on hbc. someone posted a recipe on here before and it tasted great.

newhunterette
11-28-2010, 02:37 PM
Here you go

Venison Rouladen
8-Thin slices of outside or inside round appoximately 1/4″ thick x 3″ x 5″ from deer, elk, moose ect. cut with the grain (If you ask your butcher he/she will do it, or lightly freeze your meat to achieve the thin slices)
1/2 cup-dijon mustard
2 lrge-pickles (quarterd lenthwise)
4-bacon slices cut in half
1-sliced onions
1 cup-flour
cracked pepper/salt
1/2 cup olive oil

Lay out venison generously spread dijon mustard on the top side of the meat. Add 1/4 pickle, 1/2 slice bacon, some sliced onion all to one end and salt pepper to liking.
Now roll the “stuffing” in the meat, pick or tie the meat rolls (toothpicks work also).
Heat olive oil med/high in a frying pan and brown flour dusted meat rolls.
Remove from pan and place into a casserol dish deep enough to cover meat rolls with a gravy made from the frying pan renderings, then bake at 350 for 1- 1/2 hour untill rouladen flakes apart with a fork.

I usually make potato dumplings and sweet n sour red cabbage with this dish. MMMMMMMMMMMMM
Of course my family used beef for this recipe as I was growing up, but using venison is so much more healthy so I changed it up a little.

Enjoy,
Ali