PDA

View Full Version : Horsethief Redrock Doe to buck ratio

grizzlydown
11-27-2010, 06:43 PM
Well I must say we had a blast hunting this area over the last two days. However what is concerning is the fact that over two days we seen 114 Whitetails and out of that only 6 bucks. All little ones. Is there a concern for the doe to buck ratio?? Well my boy helped out taking a really nice dry doe.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/SDC10317.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=21376&size=big&cat=)
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/SDC10319.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=21375&size=big&cat=500)

GoatGuy
11-27-2010, 06:53 PM
Just not looking in all the right places if you're looking for bigger bucks. Lots around.

Kody94
11-27-2010, 06:55 PM
If the buck to doe ratio is 20:100, there should be about 23 bucks for number of does you saw. Considering that they are usually 10x harder to find (more nocturnal, less likely to come out in the open, etc) you actually probably did pretty good finding 6 bucks. :)

114 does in two days, eh? Sounds like the rumor that all the does got "slaughtered" was slightly exaggerated. ;)

FWIW, on that note I (again) saw a whack of deer and elk this AM, including a nice buck off the highway...close to Galloway.

Everett
11-27-2010, 06:56 PM
Saw 4 deer today in our 20min hunt all bucks.

GoatGuy
11-27-2010, 06:59 PM
If the buck to doe ratio is 20:100, there should be about 23 bucks for number of does you saw. Considering that they are usually 10x harder to find (more nocturnal, less likely to come out in the open, etc) you actually probably did pretty good finding 6 bucks. :)

114 does in two days, eh? Sounds like the rumor that all the does got "slaughtered" was slightly exaggerated. ;)

FWIW, on that note I (again) saw a whack of deer and elk this AM, including a nice buck off the highway...close to Galloway.

Out of those 114 deer probably half or more were fawns.

That'll change the ratio a weeeeee bit. :wink:

grizzlydown
11-27-2010, 07:00 PM
Saw 4 deer today in our 20min hunt all bucks.

We heard there was lots of bucks being seen south of Canal Flats toward Kimberly. We only had a limited time frame but we enjoyed this area so much!!
Planning on another trip next year hopefully towards your neck of thw woods with Robo and Sonny!

Kody94
11-27-2010, 07:11 PM
Out of those 114 deer probably half or more were fawns.

That'll change the ratio a weeeeee bit. :wink:

True dat.... :)

Assuming half were fawns, and assuming a generous sightability factor for bucks of 0.5 (relative to does and fawns), the buck:doe ratio could be 30 or 40 per 100 based on grizzdown's sample. ;)

grizzlydown
11-27-2010, 08:18 PM

Assuming half were fawns, and assuming a generous sightability factor for bucks of 0.5 (relative to does and fawns), the buck:doe ratio could be 30 or 40 per 100 based on grizzdown's sample. ;)
Yep, we did see alot of fawns. Not half but a 1/3rd to 3/8ths for sure. Saw a lot of dry does. Helped a gentleman load a really nice respectable 4x4 this morning also. The deer sign in the fresh snow was all over this area. I have not had any experience really with whitetail hunting and these 2 days where fricking awesome!!!

11-27-2010, 08:31 PM
The Red Rock/Steamboat Mountain/Francis Creek area is very heavily hunted and there's a considerable buck harvest every year. I would be surprized if the post season buck/doe ratio is anywhere near as high as 20 bucks/100 does, but I also don't think there's a conservation concern for white tailed deer or that we're overharvesting the WTD bucks. I'd be more inclined to think we're under-harvesting the does.

The higher elevations of Steamboat Mountain used to be the domain of mule deer, but the last decade has seen white tails occupying areas higher and higher on the mountain until they appear to be displacing mule deer populations. We need to harvest more WTD in 4-35 and harvesting bucks won't attain the objective, we need to harvest a bunch more does to curtail the expansion of the white tail population.

11-27-2010, 08:39 PM

Hey Chris, how did you arrive at 30 to 40..?

114 does and fawns, assuming 57 are does.

6 bucks assuming 0.5 sightability factor = 12 bucks

12 bucks/57 does = 21 bucks/100 does.....????

11-27-2010, 08:45 PM
Yep, we did see alot of fawns. Not half but a 1/3rd to 3/8ths for sure. Saw a lot of dry does. Helped a gentleman load a really nice respectable 4x4 this morning also. The deer sign in the fresh snow was all over this area. I have not had any experience really with whitetail hunting and these 2 days where fricking awesome!!!

Something wrong here, 1/3 to 3/8 fawns is not nearly enough for this time of year considering fawn productivity of WTD (2.3 or more fawns per doe). Half should be about the right number if things are as they should be...

GoatGuy
11-27-2010, 08:46 PM
The Red Rock/Steamboat Mountain/Francis Creek area is very heavily hunted and there's a considerable buck harvest every year. I would be surprized if the post season buck/doe ratio is anywhere near as high as 20 bucks/100 does, but I also don't think there's a conservation concern for white tailed deer or that we're overharvesting the WTD bucks. I'd be more inclined to think we're under-harvesting the does.

The higher elevations of Steamboat Mountain used to be the domain of mule deer, but the last decade has seen white tails occupying areas higher and higher on the mountain until they appear to be displacing mule deer populations. We need to harvest more WTD in 4-35 and harvesting bucks won't attain the objective, we need to harvest a bunch more does to curtail the expansion of the white tail population.

Funny, I heard there wasn't a wt deer left from invermere to golden? :confused:

This should help them md.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/iphone_104.JPG

11-27-2010, 08:52 PM
Funny, I heard there wasn't a wt deer left from invermere to golden? :confused:

This should help them md.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/iphone_104.JPG

Yep we need more of that,,,,, a lot more,,,,, that little flare-up is a drop in the bucket compared to what we would like to see.

GoatGuy
11-27-2010, 08:55 PM
Yep we need more of that,,,,, a lot more,,,,, that little flare-up is a drop in the bucket compared to what we would like to see.

well, start flanging your cigarette butts out the window on the way down to crazybrook.

11-27-2010, 09:28 PM
well, start flanging your cigarette butts out the window on the way down to crazybrook.

It'd be just my luck the wind would blow it into some ones hay stack....

GoatGuy
11-27-2010, 09:31 PM
It'd be just my luck the wind would blow it into some ones hay stack....

Shoot first, ask questions later.:confused:

joew
11-28-2010, 05:27 PM
to think with all the deer in that area how much bad luck i have to not even see one in a week i see now why i am called black cloud ha ha

GoatGuy
11-28-2010, 06:35 PM
to think with all the deer in that area how much bad luck i have to not even see one in a week i see now why i am called black cloud ha ha

Sit down in a likely spot with lots of sign. Make sure the wind isn't gonna blow things out and you will see deer.

joew
11-28-2010, 06:41 PM
shot a few deer in there before. last year was one of those years no matter what i did. i could not find one

Kody94
11-29-2010, 02:50 PM
Hey Chris, how did you arrive at 30 to 40..?

114 does and fawns, assuming 57 are does.

6 bucks assuming 0.5 sightability factor = 12 bucks

12 bucks/57 does = 21 bucks/100 does.....????

lol....because I typed 0.5, but used 1/3rd (0.33) in my quick in-my-head calculation. :) I should proof-read my posts once in a while.