PDA

View Full Version : Shared Hunting Protocol

GoatGuy
11-27-2010, 05:51 PM
So, three of you have two tags. You plan on hunting together but it doesn't work out.

One of the guys goes out with another guy (non tag holder) and tag holder shoots bull.

How do you split the meat?

seatoskymiles
11-27-2010, 05:57 PM
3 ways, i would

knockturnal
11-27-2010, 05:58 PM
All depends on how well you like the non tag holder! I was in on an elk kill during bow season and I never saw a steak. No skin off my back. He's still a great guy.

Plus, if you can connect on another moose, 2 moose for 4 guys is lots. Tell the non tag holder that if your group gets another bull, you'll throw some more meat his way. As long as he offered to help pay for butchering.

gwillim
11-27-2010, 06:07 PM
A big animal like a moose, or elk should be split amongst all hunters in the group. When I go with my regular hunting partner, anything bigger than a white-tail gets split between both of us. Both help field dress and carry the thing out. White-tail, being smaller and easier to come by, goes to the shooter. Usually I hunt white-tail on my own anyways.

This year I have half of a 210lb mulie, and an entire 140lb white-tail in the freezer. More than enough meat for my wife and I for a year.

Kody94
11-27-2010, 07:02 PM
This reminds me of that joke where you have to decide on which side of the border you will bury the survivors. ;)

If these questions/scenarios keep up the lawyers will make a mint off of "pre-nup" style agreements for hunters, or everyone will be too paranoid to pull a trigger. lol

cavebear
11-27-2010, 07:04 PM
Deciding after never works out, I always try to make all agreements on sharing and costs before we even head out the door.

Now you have one guy and a buddy who took on all the costs of going, so they or he will naturaly assume the meat is theirs. In my opinion if you share in the cost of the trip equally then you share the meat equally. :-D

dana
11-27-2010, 07:06 PM
IMO only those who share in the work get to share in the meat. If the other tag holder slept in and wasn't there to share with the packin' then too bad for him. ;)

boxhitch
11-27-2010, 07:23 PM
One of the guys goes out with another guy Not one of the threesome ? The cad Dump him

but ..... share the hunt , share the spoils.

GoatGuy
11-27-2010, 07:52 PM
Not one of the threesome ? The cad Dump him

I have had a couple beers and I don't get it. Maybe it's time to switch to whiskey - should be some in the mini bar.

steel_ram
11-27-2010, 08:03 PM
IMO only those who share in the work get to share in the meat. If the other tag holder slept in and wasn't there to share with the packin' then too bad for him. ;)

Yup! It wasn't a free meat draw.

Kody94
11-27-2010, 08:21 PM
Not one of the threesome ? The cad Dump him

I have had a couple beers and I don't get it. Maybe it's time to switch to whiskey - should be some in the mini bar.

Whiskey won't help, but it can't hurt either. I say give it a try. http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

This is some complicated math....three guys with two tags...that's two-thirds of a moose each. Then one of the "LEH'age a trois" steps out with some strange, and whacks one of the moose. Since there's now four in the group, mebbe the newb gets a quarter of the moose....and the rest of the moose gets split 3 ways....but what happens with the second moose? What if one of the other LEH'ers sneaks around with yet another hunter...or a group of hunters? Does that affect the split on the first moose? Who gets custody of the kids?

:)

I think the two guys on the moose split it. The other two guys have to get some brown down before they get to put moose in the freezer.

Fisher-Dude
11-27-2010, 08:29 PM
So, three of you have two tags. You plan on hunting together but it doesn't work out.

One of the guys goes out with another guy (non tag holder) and tag holder shoots bull.

I was the non tag holder guy once. All I did was:

Drive the truck
Spot the bull
Tell the shooter where to aim
Help with the gut job
Quarter the dead moose
Cut the antlers off
Share the drag out duties with the shooter
Fight off the Indians who showed up and claimed the moose was theirs (that's a whole 'nother story)
Skin and clean up the quarters
Help take it in to the butcher

I got a quarter of the moose for my efforts. Seemed reasonable to me and the three tag holders were thankful for my help.

GoatGuy
11-27-2010, 09:03 PM
I was the non tag holder guy once. All I did was:

Drive the truck
Spot the bull
Tell the shooter where to aim
Help with the gut job
Quarter the dead moose
Cut the antlers off
Share the drag out duties with the shooter
Fight off the Indians who showed up and claimed the moose was theirs (that's a whole 'nother story)
Skin and clean up the quarters
Help take it in to the butcher

I got a quarter of the moose for my efforts. Seemed reasonable to me and the three tag holders were thankful for my help.

Sounds like a lot of work to feed that mangy coyote you call a dog. :mrgreen:

11-27-2010, 09:17 PM

Haha, low blow,,,,, I see the whiskey is working....!!!!

11-27-2010, 09:26 PM

And what happens if the other two tag holders are unaware of this situation and are off in another area hunting moose and they shoot two moose....?????? Now what? Who gets the citation, who pays the fine..? Who gets to feed his former hunting partners rotting remains to FDs mangy coyote that he calls a dog..?

GoatGuy
11-27-2010, 09:29 PM
Haha, low blow,,,,, I see the whiskey is working....!!!!
it's true, otherwise that dog will make walls in the house look like the inside of a blue box at a job site.

Fisher-Dude
11-27-2010, 09:33 PM

The Hound wasn't even born then, just a romantic thought between his 2 purebred parents. :wink:

mark
11-27-2010, 09:34 PM
Thats funny, I know of the exact scenario just today on a moose draw....
The guys that hunted, succeeded, and worked get the meat....the other 2 guys can go hunt for the other one!
Unless a previous agreement was made!

Gun Dog
11-27-2010, 10:30 PM
Share the hunt; share the meat. If I'm a tag holder and not there then I get nothing. If a non-tag holder participates in the hunt then they get their share. Usually we have a plethora of tags -- LEH, moose, MD, WT and if someone is hunting and gathering intel for something they can't shoot then they're still in the hunt (as it were).

patdel
11-27-2010, 10:30 PM
We had a group of four put in for a LEH shared moose hunt and we agreed at that time that we would split whatever we got four ways providing each one of us contributed where we could(whether in the bush or butchering). If one of us had a hunter without a tag at the time then it was up to that one if he wanted to share his quarter with the tagless one.

Gateholio
11-27-2010, 11:42 PM
Depends on who, what, and circumstances.

If My buddy has a moose tag and his LEH partners jammed on him, then hell yeah, I'll take half the meat and screw them for not showing up....

If it happens to be his elderly father that couldn't come to hunt, I'll butcher and pack the meat and gladly give him a third...

hunter1947
11-28-2010, 03:38 AM
Its a 3 way split all the way ,you talk about this hunt before you go out for the hunt.

If I was the one without the tag and I was going to go out with the two tag holders I would discuss the matter before I went with them ,if they said no meat will be yours then I would pass on the hunt.

All years hunting with my hunting friends on a hunt its always been a split all gets there share ,one thing we don't split is deer you shoot a deer its all yours.

Different on the big game we all work hard when it comes to hunting big game and we always split the meat.

If 3 of us are hunting big game ,elk ,moose and only one gets shot on the hunting trip its a 3 way split.

CanuckShooter
11-28-2010, 06:34 AM
Aren't you supposed to all be hunting at the same time on a shared hunt?? Buddy from the 3-pack shouldn't have shot that leh animal when his pards were not there, should get fined all the way to the bank.

ratherbefishin
11-28-2010, 07:24 AM
not too hard to figure out-just think about NEXT year when HE has the tag and YOU don't-now how would you like to handle it?

ROM
11-28-2010, 07:55 AM
We discuss first also. With or without a tag, if someone participates in the hunt and the butchering then they get their equal share. if they miss one of the components then the share is reduced.

I remember splitting an antelope with 2 other guys when I did not have a tag but contributed with expenses and work.

I was thrilled and forever hooked.

If they were not involved in the hunt or work then individuals can share but there is no requirement. I always share a bit to the absent person but not that much.

R

J_T
11-28-2010, 07:57 AM
Whiskey won't help, but it can't hurt either. I say give it a try. http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

This is some complicated math....three guys with two tags...that's two-thirds of a moose each. Then one of the "LEH'age a trois" steps out with some strange, and whacks one of the moose. Since there's now four in the group, mebbe the newb gets a quarter of the moose....and the rest of the moose gets split 3 ways....but what happens with the second moose? What if one of the other LEH'ers sneaks around with yet another hunter...or a group of hunters? Does that affect the split on the first moose? Who gets custody of the kids?

:)

I think the two guys on the moose split it. The other two guys have to get some brown down before they get to put moose in the freezer. Hmmm, you must still be in an abstinence period of your life. Lots of questions and complexity. Sounds like the guy at the bar who stays sober, while everyone else is full of opinion and offering up for free... JK.

I agree with Kody and Mark though, those who hunt (or drive in the case of FD) share in the meat. Terms of 3 guys 2 tags should be worked out ahead of time. This scenario happened here this year with Moose and it wasn't a big deal.

Fisher-Dude
11-28-2010, 09:12 AM
Aren't you supposed to all be hunting at the same time on a shared hunt?? Buddy from the 3-pack shouldn't have shot that leh animal when his pards were not there, should get fined all the way to the bank.

No. You just have to be in contact and everyone must record a kill ASAP. If the other 2 tag holders are snoring in the fart sack and you go out and shoot a moose, you just have to call them up and give them the details.

CanuckShooter
11-28-2010, 09:56 AM
No. You just have to be in contact and everyone must record a kill ASAP. If the other 2 tag holders are snoring in the fart sack and you go out and shoot a moose, you just have to call them up and give them the details.

So what is to say the other two hunters in his scenario haven't gotten up and are hunting on the other side of the MU he is in...what is preventing them from shooting 3 animals when they are only permitted for 2?? This sounds like a recipe for disaster and should be discontinued.

J_T
11-28-2010, 09:59 AM
So what is to say the other two hunters in his scenario haven't gotten up and are hunting on the other side of the MU he is in...what is preventing them from shooting 3 animals when they are only permitted for 2?? This sounds like a recipe for disaster and should be discontinued.
Nothing is preventing this from happening, accept intelligence. Knowing you don't want it to happen. Hunters have to deploy some intelligence from time to time. Know the risks.

Or, if you're hunting with FD, then you simply turn to the backseat and let your buddy know you killed 1 of 2.

CanuckShooter
11-28-2010, 10:07 AM
This whole shared hunt leh is BS...if you have to attend in person on a Permit to Accompany, then you should have to be 'there' to use those tags, all of you...it just opens the door to gross mis-use of the shared tags...you don't have to identify on your normal tag if there was a leh used so it's open to abuse.:evil:

Fisher-Dude
11-28-2010, 10:15 AM

It's called "communication." Maybe you should read the LEH regs on how to handle this. It is spelled out quite well.

In fact, in the scenario above, it states "The member(s) that was not participating may decide to join in the hunt later, but they must first update the Harvest Details section of their Limited Entry Shared Hunt authorization before starting to hunt."

Sounds like you're in the wrong thread - you need to post your ignorance of the law in the "does anyone read the regs anymore?" thread. :mrgreen:

I have not heard of a single instance from the COs with whom I volunteer of a shared moose hunt limit being exceeded. IMO, it's been a non-issue compared to illegal harvest levels under other types of seasons.

Fisher-Dude
11-28-2010, 10:17 AM
This whole shared hunt leh is BS...if you have to attend in person on a Permit to Accompany, then you should have to be 'there' to use those tags, all of you...it just opens the door to gross mis-use of the shared tags...you don't have to identify on your normal tag if there was a leh used so it's open to abuse.:evil:

Wrong again. You must record the kill details on your LEH authorization immediately, in ink, and all other members of the hunt must do likewise.

CanuckShooter
11-28-2010, 10:23 AM
Wrong again. You must record the kill details on your LEH authorization immediately, in ink, and all other members of the hunt must do likewise.

So what? You really believe this happens all the time?? Get real. Hunter #1 does mark his leh card when he cuts his tag...and then never goes along on a hunt with the other two again....who is to know the difference?? They don't have to report for inspection, they don't have to have all three leh cards on hand...open to abuse and should be discontinued in my opinion.

Just like the one in three for mule deer they used to have in 7b...cut region 7 and once your 'across the line' you got it in 7a....open to abuse.

Fisher-Dude
11-28-2010, 10:34 AM
So what? You really believe this happens all the time?? Get real. Hunter #1 does mark his leh card when he cuts his tag...and then never goes along on a hunt with the other two again....who is to know the difference?? They don't have to report for inspection, they don't have to have all three leh cards on hand...open to abuse and should be discontinued in my opinion.

Just like the one in three for mule deer they used to have in 7b...cut region 7 and once your 'across the line' you got it in 7a....open to abuse.

So you're bringing moose number 1 home without recording the kill. The CO stops you and you're busted, moose gone, licenses seized, guns seized. It's the same as not punching a tag at all.

If you're such a f'king pig that you need to slaughter a pile of moose because 2 moose for 3 guys isn't enough for you, then you have other issues to worry about. I know, it's a traditional method of moose hunting among some groups to kill every moose they see, but they (like you) don't care that other people obey the rules of LEH shared hunts and hunt within the law.

And really, since you just feed moose to your dogs, why would you waste a tag on a moose anyway? :-|

KevinB
11-28-2010, 10:37 AM

Holy crap Canuck, have you been smoking the paranoia-weed? :wink:

Do you really think this kind of thing is rampant and having any actual effect on moose populations? Hell I could use a single mule deer tag to shoot as many bucks in a day as I could physically ferry back and forth in secret to my garage...but I don't.

Maybe we should just ban hunting. It's way too open to abuse, I mean, I can just IMAGINE all the things people must be doing illegally because they aren't personally supervised by a CO....

CanuckShooter
11-28-2010, 10:42 AM
So you're bringing moose number 1 home without recording the kill. The CO stops you and you're busted, moose gone, licenses seized, guns seized. It's the same as not punching a tag at all.

If you're such a f'king pig that you need to slaughter a pile of moose because 2 moose for 3 guys isn't enough for you, then you have other issues to worry about. I know, it's a traditional method of moose hunting among some groups to kill every moose they see, but they (like you) don't care that other people obey the rules of LEH shared hunts and hunt within the law.

You may as well continue your poaching ways with no license, because what you're advocating is exactly the same thing. And really, since you just feed moose to your dogs, why would you waste a tag on a moose anyway? :-|

Your having comprehension problems again...I said hunter #1 recorded his kill.....and never went out with his leh pards again...:cry:

I am not so naive to think that when our laws are full of holes that people will not take advantage of it. Kinda like shopping south of the line to avoid paying hst, or working under the table to avoid paying income tax.

CanuckShooter
11-28-2010, 10:46 AM
Holy crap Canuck, have you been smoking the paranoia-weed? :wink:

Do you really think this kind of thing is rampant and having any actual effect on moose populations? Hell I could use a single mule deer tag to shoot as many bucks in a day as I could physically ferry back and forth in secret to my garage...but I don't.

Maybe we should just ban hunting. It's way too open to abuse, I mean, I can just IMAGINE all the things people must be doing illegally because they aren't personally supervised by a CO....

You don't, and I don't...but there are more than a few game hogs that wouldn't think twice. Change our paper tags to ones that must be attached to the animal...and most of the abuse would stop.

Just because someone points out obvious weaknesses in the system doesn't mean they advocate doing it....

GoatGuy
11-28-2010, 12:20 PM

Who said the other two were even out hunting?

Would be pretty easy to notify everyone else, we've got these things called phones, some of them are even portable, and computers. If all else fails you could stop by their house OR send a carrier pigeon.

Following your logic, why would hunters even bother cutting their tag at all? Really, it would be no different. And if you aren't gonna bother cutting your tag, why even bother with the expense of buying a hunting license?

How paranoid for you?

Phreddy
11-28-2010, 01:06 PM
Share the costs, work, and hunt, share the meat. It's called ethics.

Kody94
11-29-2010, 02:54 PM
Hmmm, you must still be in an abstinence period of your life. Lots of questions and complexity. Sounds like the guy at the bar who stays sober, while everyone else is full of opinion and offering up for free... JK.

LOL. That obvious eh? http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon11.gif

CanuckShooter
12-01-2010, 07:58 AM
Who said the other two were even out hunting?

Would be pretty easy to notify everyone else, we've got these things called phones, some of them are even portable, and computers. If all else fails you could stop by their house OR send a carrier pigeon.

Following your logic, why would hunters even bother cutting their tag at all? Really, it would be no different. And if you aren't gonna bother cutting your tag, why even bother with the expense of buying a hunting license?

How paranoid for you?

If you get caught transporting without a cut tag you'll get charged.[period].no get out of jail free card. In the scenario of the thread poster, hunter #1 is hunting without the other two hunters who hold the shared hunt cards. He shoots his moose, marks his card, takes his moose home and cuts it himself...if the other two hunters don't get informed, or don't mark their cards...they can ILLEGALLY shoot a moose each, mark their cards, and circumvent the system. There is no safeguard inplace to ensure that this is impossible...and I think there should be...you consider that paranoid, I consider it a safeguard that could prevent abuse...so be it.

budismyhorse
12-01-2010, 09:20 AM
CS,

I really have no idea what to say to you.......You are proposing a situation that has the potential to happen in many many different situations.

for that matter, if the 3 hunters were seperated while hunting, THEY STILL HAVE THE OBLIGATION TO COMMUNICATE (or face charges) with other members of the group. If hunter 1 takes a slough while the other 2 bang off down the road (remember, 3 tag holders are technically hunting together). Hunter 1 shoots a moose, He MUST inform the other hunters immediately so they don't kill two unknowing of his downed moose. There is no safeguard in this situation EXCEPT putting the responsibility of the hunters to communicate.

I have been in the situation before and we all carried hand held FSR radios.......one fella shot a moose and told us about it before the echo from the shot had faded away.

The situation you are proposing where one tag holder goes off on his own and stops communication with the other tag holders is stupid and illegal.

99.99% of hunters would never do this. Shared hunts are normally with family members or hunting partners that talk to eachother while hunting(you may find this hard to believe).......... not crackheads they barely know. So why are you freaking out.

Kody94
12-01-2010, 09:25 AM
99.99% of hunters would never do this. Shared hunts are normally with family members or hunting partners that talk to eachother while hunting(you may find this hard to believe).......... not crackheads they barely know. So why are you freaking out.

Some folks solve this dilemma by using their wives and/or kids hunters numbers to increase the number of applicants, but not the number of actual hunters. ;) That way they receive two tags for 3 or 4 applicants but only two of them will be hunting at any given point in time (or ever). j/k of course, but I hear it happens and didn't realize there was a practical justification until just now. :)

CanuckShooter
12-01-2010, 09:31 AM
CS,

I really have no idea what to say to you.......You are proposing a situation that has the potential to happen in many many different situations.

for that matter, if the 3 hunters were seperated while hunting, THEY STILL HAVE THE OBLIGATION TO COMMUNICATE (or face charges) with other members of the group. If hunter 1 takes a slough while the other 2 bang off down the road (remember, 3 tag holders are technically hunting together). Hunter 1 shoots a moose, He MUST inform the other hunters immediately so they don't kill two unknowing of his downed moose. There is no safeguard in this situation EXCEPT putting the responsibility of the hunters to communicate.

I have been in the situation before and we all carried hand held FSR radios.......one fella shot a moose and told us about it before the echo from the shot had faded away.

The situation you are proposing where one tag holder goes off on his own and stops communication with the other tag holders is stupid and illegal.

I am not the one freaking out... the way the shared hunts are run could lead to deliberate abuse, it's those that deny that it could happen that are overreacting to an obvious flaw in the system.

Considering the abusive negative reaction to me pointing out a flaw in the system I have to wonder IF they current method of marking your cards is adequate?????

budismyhorse
12-01-2010, 09:41 AM
There is no flaw in the system........that is the point.

Anyone who you feel is "abusing" this system will do so under any system you devise......Besides morals/ethics and CO's there is nothing to stop hunters from shooting two bucks on the same day.........not cutting tags at all.....the list goes on.

Please describe your solution to this flaw.

muleychaser
12-01-2010, 09:54 AM
We were detained by a couple co's this fall and we had a shared bull draw between 3 of us. Right off the hop they asked were the 3rd guy was (He was out of town) and quite the discussion started over the communication issue and how were we going to let him know if we shot a moose. It started down a not very nice path but through discussing it civally they did agree that nothing was being done wrong ( Did not start that way) when we made them realize that the 3rd party was not hunting at all that day. The whole shared hunt could definately go very wrong if there are no avenues of communication between the people holding the shared tags. The CO's were very cooperative after the initial discussion and everyone left happy.

CanuckShooter
12-01-2010, 10:21 AM

Anyone who you feel is "abusing" this system will do so under any system you devise......Besides morals/ethics and CO's there is nothing to stop hunters from shooting two bucks on the same day.........not cutting tags at all.....the list goes on.

Please describe your solution to this flaw.

Three hunters two tags, replace the 3 cards [currently being used] with 2 stickers [or bands]that could not be reused, similar to the stickers we use on our license plates that must be attached to the animal [around antlers ~ through an ear or tongue] being harvested. This would make it practically impossible to tag more leh animals than the law permits under our shared hunt leh.

There IS a flaw in the current system....the same as there is with most LEH hunts. What is preventing someone with a cow moose LEH from shooting more than 1?? [other than honesty] What is to stop some poaching sob from shooting two and sending one home with his buddy with only the information needed to transport? While he takes another route with the appropriate cancelled tags??? If your transporting someone elses animal you should be required to have the LEH authorization card in your possession..not just the numbers written down.

Mr. Dean
12-01-2010, 10:24 AM

Tis true. Poachers will be Poachers... It's a life choice that CAN'T be governed.

CanuckShooter
12-01-2010, 10:26 AM
Tis true. Poachers will be Poachers... It's a life choice that CAN'T be governed.

True enough, but why make it so easy for them????

budismyhorse
12-01-2010, 10:40 AM

CS......

Back in the day, BC used to have such a system. Poachers found ways to seperate the tags and reuse them.........so much infact, it was dropped as it became a bit of a joke. Way before my time, just parrotting what old timers tell me.

However, I agree with your logic and it is well thought out....but it does NOT point out a flaw as my original point (as with many others on this thread) still stands. Poachers will find a way to poach.

I just got back from Sask hunting whitetails........I watched (through my spotting scope) two residents shoot a nice buck (that I was waiting on) out of the window of the truck rip the deer out of the bush and drive off to another farm at a hundred miles an hour...........

Remember, Sask has the wrap around tags you allude to........do you think that buck got tagged accordingly?

Mr. Dean
12-01-2010, 10:58 AM

I really don't think much can be done. Holes can be found anywhere you wanna look, in any activity, no matter how papered to death it is. Peer presure works best in swaying ones choices. More print (Laws) won't mean squat - That path just makes criminals out of law abiders (MANY examples of this). Other than a stronger show of force (LEO's) to 'save the day' and game check EVERY fsr that touches pavement, 24/7, it is what it is.

How much MORE tax are you willing to pay??? :wink:

CanuckShooter
12-01-2010, 11:01 AM
CS......

Back in the day, BC used to have such a system. Poachers found ways to seperate the tags and reuse them.........so much infact, it was dropped as it became a bit of a joke. Way before my time, just parrotting what old timers tell me.

However, I agree with your logic and it is well thought out....but it does NOT point out a flaw as my original point (as with many others on this thread) still stands. Poachers will find a way to poach.

I just got back from Sask hunting whitetails........I watched (through my spotting scope) two residents shoot a nice buck (that I was waiting on) out of the window of the truck rip the deer out of the bush and drive off to another farm at a hundred miles an hour...........

Remember, Sask has the wrap around tags you allude to........do you think that buck got tagged accordingly?

Probably not, although my point is why make it 'easy' for them to be able to 'appear' to be legal if they are ever stopped??? One would think with more modern materials they could make bands that couldn't be as easily circumvented.

Enough said on this subject [from me anyway], unfortunately as BC resident hunters we don't have any way to have a dialog like this with the wildlife branch so they could implement steps to minimize the potential for abuse of the current system.:-D Have a good day. CS

Mr. Dean
12-01-2010, 11:04 AM
CS, you're missing the point.... In order to BE legal, one must WANT to. Doesn't matter what system is in place, it takes a conscious choice in adhering to it.

Fisher-Dude
12-01-2010, 01:29 PM
Enough said on this subject [from me anyway], unfortunately as BC resident hunters we don't have any way to have a dialog like this with the wildlife branch so they could implement steps to minimize the potential for abuse of the current system.:-D Have a good day. CS

Are you a BCWF member?

Fisher-Dude
12-01-2010, 01:34 PM
Three hunters two tags, replace the 3 cards [currently being used] with 2 stickers [or bands]that could not be reused, similar to the stickers we use on our license plates that must be attached to the animal [around antlers ~ through an ear or tongue] being harvested. This would make it practically impossible to tag more leh animals than the law permits under our shared hunt leh.

So the 3 guys take radios and go out hunting. One guy doesn't have a sticker in his pocket as they only have 2 stickers between 3 guys, and sees a bull moose. He can't shoot the moose because he doesn't have a sticker, and failure to immediately tag the animal is an offence.

How f'ked is that? Your system is flawed and makes a criminal out of a [previously] law-abiding hunter. In fact, hunting a species at all without possessing a valid tag is an offence, so the guy can't even participate in the hunt. Bad idea.

CanuckShooter
12-01-2010, 03:57 PM
Are you a BCWF member?

Yes I am a member of the BCWF.

CanuckShooter
12-01-2010, 04:08 PM
So the 3 guys take radios and go out hunting. One guy doesn't have a sticker in his pocket as they only have 2 stickers between 3 guys, and sees a bull moose. He can't shoot the moose because he doesn't have a sticker, and failure to immediately tag the animal is an offence.

How f'ked is that? Your system is flawed and makes a criminal out of a [previously] law-abiding hunter. In fact, hunting a species at all without possessing a valid tag is an offence, so the guy can't even participate in the hunt. Bad idea.

Sure he has the card, and the sticker is in his shared hunt partners pocket, and he also has the regular moose tag that he would have to cut, remember they are 'in communication at all times'....and his buddies would come running immediately to help him out...and voila he is still law abiding once his sticker is attached.

Really the only difference would be that they would only have 2 bands or stickers that would have to be attached directly to the animal.

muledeercrazy
12-01-2010, 04:11 PM
the shared hunt system has worked well, and has done it job! it gets more hunters out in the bush and lets them enjoy the hunting season, imo.

I cant understand how guys would not share the work and the game. If someone doesnt help on one of our trips, it is because they are unable to for some reason. We share the expenses, the work, and the memories. The meat is just part of the memories to me and I cant imagine looking at a friend and saying you were out of radio contact that morning and didnt help much so you are not getting any meat? I guess some guys hunt with people they dont like or are not friends with... not me. Maybe its different for guys on the mainland who dont go on longer trips, but I still use this theory on day trips on the island..