PDA

View Full Version : Shot placement (again)

Blair
11-27-2010, 05:08 PM
I had a buck last weekend standing staring straight at me at less than 50 yards. I stood there with the crosshairs on his chest for at least ten seconds waiting for him to turn for a side shot. Well he didn't turn, he bolted and I didn't get a shot off. No meat wasted, but no deer in the truck, and it goes without saying, no wounded deer running away. What would you have done?

rocksteady
11-27-2010, 05:10 PM
Bang...........

ruger#1
11-27-2010, 05:11 PM
I would of did the same thing I done today, BANG

gutpile
11-27-2010, 05:12 PM
I would have shot him below the neck.

rocksteady
11-27-2010, 05:16 PM
Head on...Chest shot...Bullet into the brisket/where the collar bone come together = dead deer, no meat loss.....

NO BRAINER!!!!!!!

butthead
11-27-2010, 05:18 PM
head shot
either you hit
or you miss

tomcat
11-27-2010, 05:22 PM
Chest shot into the brisket(boiler room) = dead deer.

steelhead
11-27-2010, 05:30 PM

Steeleco
11-27-2010, 05:34 PM
Brisket shot. Once took a mulie at 200yds that wouldn't turn. Near 20 min waiting. Finally took the shot, down like a sack of spuds was he!!

MerrittBow
11-27-2010, 05:39 PM
that's how i got my doe with my bow this year, 12 yards facing towards me.....took out the lungs heart liver, but never went into the stomach

dougan
11-27-2010, 05:43 PM
I know that some people will just wait till it turns around and take the texas heart shot!!That's a good shot means he was runnin away!!!!!!!!

sparkes3
11-27-2010, 05:52 PM
dead deer no problem .if you are not comfortable with a head on chest shot at fifty spend some more time at the range,with a 223 and up(i will probally got shot myself for posting that but oh well)

KevinB
11-27-2010, 05:56 PM
I would have shot him. As long as you're using a caliber/bullet combo that you are confident will get into the boiler room, it will work just fine. And as others have mentioned, almost zero meat loss. That's the exact shot I took on my elk last year.

west250
11-27-2010, 05:59 PM
I had a buck last weekend standing staring straight at me at less than 50 yards. I stood there with the crosshairs on his chest for at least ten seconds waiting for him to turn for a side shot. Well he didn't turn, he bolted and I didn't get a shot off. No meat wasted, but no deer in the truck, and it goes without saying, no wounded deer running away. What would you have done?

Blast him in the chest or neck. If I had the crosshairs on his chest then that's where I would've put it. I had a similar situation happen to me ten years or so ago. I was hunting down this timbered hog's back and this buck came out from around a bluff about 10 yards away, I aimed for the neck and missed! Talk about total buck fever!

Blair
11-27-2010, 06:11 PM
dead deer no problem .if you are not comfortable with a head on chest shot at fifty spend some more time at the range,with a 223 and up(i will probally got shot myself for posting that but oh well)

I didn't take the shot, because at that range, I imagined the bullet going right through the chest, boiler room, the guts and into the hams.

Phil A. Bowl
11-27-2010, 08:42 PM
I had the same shot @40 yrds went for the head shot,(my first buck all by myself) buck feaver took over and I missed .Still pissed at myself:icon_frow no meat for me this year:evil:

Badlands62
11-27-2010, 09:39 PM
Bang...... as others said dead deer with little meat loss. I have taken a few deer in that same situation and have had problems. Deer goes down quick..:-D

moosinaround
11-27-2010, 09:43 PM
My whitetail this year was a head on facing me shot. I went for the brisket on the heart side and shaved his ole ticker in half. He took 3 bounces and skidded on his face. Of course I do shoot a 300 win mag with super duper TTSx 168gr bullets so................................:wink: Moosin

Gateholio
11-27-2010, 10:17 PM

Blair, most of the time that is a good shot. At 50 yards, if you aim where his neck meets his chest, it's going to hit the spine and/or travel into the vitals. And it's often a bang flop...

There are some circumstances I wouldn't take this shot, mostly if I was using a Lightweight and lightly constructed bullet at reasonably high velocity. ( a .243 with a 85 gr varmit bullet would be an example) Using a .22 centerfire may be another good example.

I've taken lots of frontal shots, but never lacked for horsepower. I shot a buck at almost 400 yards, frontal, using 300WSM and 180gr TSX. Bullet went right through, end to end, and clipped the rear leg on exit. Bang flop.

Brew
11-27-2010, 10:42 PM
Thats one of my favorite shots to take. From my experience the animal always just drops instant.

Sleep Robber
11-27-2010, 10:55 PM
I shot a buck at almost 400 yards, frontal, using 300WSM and 180gr TSX. Bullet went right through, end to end, and clipped the rear leg on exit. Bang flop.

First off, "nice shot".

Second, Can you make this shot with "all confidence" at least 9 out of 10 times ?? Every time !!!!!

If not, bad choice IMO, I've been hunting for 35 yrs now, and nobody can tell me a 400 yard frontal shot is easy, I don't care how good you shoot, or what bullet your using.

If you can make this shot all the time, more power to ya !!

This to most people, is a shot that should be passed on, and the animal should be hunted more, to where a higher percentage shot can be taken. If not, this is a good example of passing on a shot and letting them walk for now.

I'm not trying to be over critical here, but IMO only a full fledged sniper can make this shot 100% of the time. It's a damn hard shot.....period.

Gateholio
11-28-2010, 12:25 AM
First off, "nice shot".

Second, Can you make this shot with "all confidence" at least 9 out of 10 times ?? Every time !!!!!

. I could have made that shot 10 out of 10

I
I'm not trying to be over critical here, but IMO only a full fledged sniper can make this shot 100% of the time. It's a damn hard shot..

No, you just need to know the information, adjust correctly, and take the shot correctly.

Sleep Robber
11-28-2010, 12:58 AM
. I could have made that shot 10 out of 10

No, you just need to know the information, adjust correctly, and take the shot correctly.

10 out of 10 eh ??, hmmmmm , I watched a certain video that says otherwise. Although you did hit him in the neck on the second shot to drop him in his tracks, your first attempt at the boiler room , from 356 yards, was far from perfect, and the weather was great too, so I beg to differ :razz: :wink:

All I'm saying is a 400 yard frontal shot in any conditions is a hard shot, and anyone can miss this shot, with ease, on any given day. You proved this to me. If you can't hit the barn, how can you hit the barn door 10 out of 10 ??

Gee, I hope I don't get banned for this factual comment. :mrgreen:

Lone Ranger
11-28-2010, 01:12 AM
Blair, IMO you did the right thing if you were unsure. I would have pulled the trigger, but if I'm ever unsure I won't pull the trigger either. Better safe than sorry as far as I'm concerned, I hate seeing wasted game or wounded animals wandering around. LR

Gateholio
11-28-2010, 01:27 AM
10 out of 10 eh ??, hmmmmm , I watched a certain video that says otherwise. Although you did hit him in the neck on the second shot to drop him in his tracks, your first attempt at the boiler room , from 356 yards, was far from perfect, and the weather was great too, so I beg to differ :razz: :wink:

Sorry, you are incorrect.

I am 100% on frontal shots on deer at aound 400 yards..I've nly taken one, after all...

Keep in mind, I said this:

No, you just need to know the information, adjust correctly, and]take the shot correctly.

I did not take the shot correctly. I am capable of taking that shot correctly, but I did not, for some reason.

My first shot on the moose was poor, however, if it had been a frontal shot on a deer, it would have been a miss by at least a foot. So no wounding, just a miss.

Keep in mind that that moose was DEAD 26 seconds after the first shot. Many animals are hit in the boiler room and live much loinger than 26 seconds after the first shot...

All I'm saying is a 400 yard frontal shot in any conditions is a hard shot, and anyone can miss this shot, with ease, on any given day. You proved this to me. If you can't hit the barn, how can you hit the barn door 10 out of 10 ??

Yeah, it's not easy. Don't do it if you aren't sure of it. I can do it, but if you can't, don't do it...

Gee, I hope I don't get banned for this factual comment. :]

Your comments are so insignificant that there is no reason to ban you, not sure why that is even a question???:confused:

Sleep Robber
11-28-2010, 03:09 AM
I did not take the shot correctly. I am capable of taking that shot correctly, but I did not, for some reason.

My first shot on the moose was poor, however, if it had been a frontal shot on a deer, it would have been a miss by at least a foot. So no wounding, just a miss.

People are capable of doing lots of things, doesn't mean they can do it 10 out of 10 times.

If you can make one shot incorrectly, you can make two, for whatever reason you come up with. I'm sure you know why the poor shot took place.

If you can make a poor boiler room shot on a moose at 356 yards, but still hit it, who's to say you can't make a poor frontal shot on a deer from 400 yards, but still hit it ?? It can obviously happen.

You may be one for one, but your statement, " I can make that shot 10 out of 10" holds no ground. That's what I love about Youtube :mrgreen:

hunter1947
11-28-2010, 03:24 AM
When an animal is within 50 yards of me and he does not give me a boiler room shot the animal is facing me then the animal gets it in the head.

I don't like shooting out further then 50 yards at a head shot the chances further out past 50 yards could mean a misplaced shot..

Manglinmike
11-28-2010, 09:08 AM
Myself, I am not a fan of head shots,when I was in grade 12 (82) Iwent on a moose hunting trip with my dad and we found a cow moose that someone head shot her lowwer jaw was smashed apart and hanging down,we were unable to put her down and that sight is still in my head 28 yrs later.That being said at 50yrds looking straight at you 2inches below the chin and you got a gutting job on your hands!!

NitwiT
11-28-2010, 09:34 AM
A buddy took a front on chest shot on a buck, and it tore through the front, through the vitals, through the stomach, intestined and destroyed a rear quarter.

Ronforca
11-28-2010, 09:44 AM
At less than 50 yards.Head shot. No chance of hitting the paunch.At less than 50 yards that should not be too hards.I have done it at a lot farther than 50 yards a few times.Messes up the rack some times.As hot between the eyes is pretty deadly..

husky30-06
11-28-2010, 09:54 AM
I had a big four stand facing me down in a cut block 200 yrds away........ waited for what seemed for ever. the light was failing and my partner was lined up backup if he was to turn and run. I could not take him in the chest as he was slightly turned, so only the face was avaliable.......... BANG--dead deer. hit him right in the cheek and he dropped right there, funny part........... there was a road right behind him 10' through the trees!!!!!!!!:mrgreen::mrgreen:

carnivore
11-28-2010, 10:05 AM
50 yards, I would do as I have done before, right between the eyes and lift his brain pan!

knighthunter
11-28-2010, 10:26 AM
Isn't that what the white throat patch is for? I've shot a deer or 2 in the head but it all depends on the situation on what I shoot at. Way back when I was younger, I did a lot of shooting and was a great shot but now, the only shooting I do is while hunting.In fact I havn't fired a shot for almost 3 years. I wouldn't try a head shot over 50 yds. I prefer the heart/lung shot as it's a bigger target and a little more room for error.

Gateholio
11-28-2010, 11:03 AM
People are capable of doing lots of things, doesn't mean they can do it 10 out of 10 times.

If you can make one shot incorrectly, you can make two, for whatever reason you come up with. I'm sure you know why the poor shot took place.

If you can make a poor boiler room shot on a moose at 356 yards, but still hit it, who's to say you can't make a poor frontal shot on a deer from 400 yards, but still hit it ?? It can obviously happen.

You may be one for one, but your statement, " I can make that shot 10 out of 10" holds no ground. That's what I love about Youtube :mrgreen:

Shit happens, with shots at 10 yards to 1000 yards. I know if I am presented with a 400 yard frontal shot on a deer, I will take the shot and kill the deer.

If you don't feel comfortable taking a shot, don't do it.

Sleep Robber
11-28-2010, 11:47 AM
I know if I am presented with a 400 yard frontal shot on a deer, I will take the shot and kill the deer.

And then you wake up :mrgreen:

You might make the shot Gatehouse, but obviously not every time.

Over confidence gets guys in sh!t all the time. People need to learn from their mistakes, and re-evaluate their capabilities.

Gateholio
11-28-2010, 12:24 PM
And then you wake up :mrgreen:

You might make the shot Gatehouse, but obviously not every time.

Over confidence gets guys in sh!t all the time. People need to learn from their mistakes, and re-evaluate their capabilities.

26 seconds after I made a poor shot on a moose, I had learned enough from my mistake that I was able to make a very precise shot and kill him.

Most guys wouldn't have put that video up, but I felt that sharing it with others was a good learning tool to show what not to do, and what TO do if shit happens.

Take only shots you are comfortable with. Your comfort may vary from mine or anyone elses.

Sleep Robber
11-28-2010, 01:22 PM
26 seconds after I made a poor shot on a moose, I had learned enough from my mistake that I was able to make a very precise shot and kill him.

Most guys wouldn't have put that video up, but I felt that sharing it with others was a good learning tool to show what not to do, and what TO do if shit happens.

Take only shots you are comfortable with. Your comfort may vary from mine or anyone elses.

Fact is, you missed the boiler room from 356 yards, so saying you can hit a deer in the frontal section 10 out of 10 from 400 is fiction at best.

Ronforca
11-28-2010, 03:10 PM
Lots being said here about shotting at long distances.I have made many long shots in my time and many years shot 3 Deer per year.I have been hunting for 55 years so I do not take the long shots much anymore athough one of the Deer that I shot this year was way out there.That being said,anyone that can not hit a Deer in the head at 50 yards facing him should hang up his shooting iron.This might upset some people but so be it.

Whip
11-28-2010, 03:14 PM
Good on ya. Take shots when you are comfortable. Hit the range up and you will know when you will meet your criteria and waste little meat. At least you get to think about that deer everynight before you fall asleep!

Gateholio
11-28-2010, 03:39 PM
Fact is, you missed the boiler room from 356 yards, so saying you can hit a deer in the frontal section 10 out of 10 from 400 is fiction at best.

I'm 100% on frontal shots from 4 to 400 yards ;)

Every time I have shot an animal via frontal, it has dropped cleanly. I've used the shot on about half a dozen deer and bear.

Sleep Robber
11-28-2010, 05:20 PM
I'm 100% on frontal shots from 4 to 400 yards ;)

Come back to earth chef !! :mrgreen:

Gateholio
11-28-2010, 05:41 PM
Come back to earth chef !! :mrgreen:

What are your experiences with frontal shots?

fuzzybiscuit
11-28-2010, 05:50 PM
Sleep Robber, experience with;

Frontal shots - 0

Frontal lobotomy - 1

ruger#1
11-28-2010, 05:58 PM
Sleep Robber:

Frontal shots - 0

Frontal lobotomy - 1 sounds about right.:mrgreen:

Sleep Robber
11-28-2010, 06:49 PM
What are your experiences with frontal shots?

I have hunted with some very reputable guide/friends, that are considered expert marksmen, for big game before, many, many times, and have witnessed countless shots in the 400 to 600 yard range and beyond.

Thus being said, I find it extremely hard to believe you can kill a deer dead with a single, frontal shot, 10 out of 10 times, from 400 yards, like you say you can, even in the most perfect conditions, which obviously is not the case in most situations, as I'm sure you would agree.

Your either an egomaniac with buck fever, a true legend in your own mind, or your just blowing smoke up our a$$.

I prefer to believe the latter, but one never knows :confused: You could very well be a trio blend too.

Opinions are like a$$holes, everybody's got one.... and this is mine :neutral:

As for the other 2 comments..... I have made single, frontal shots resulting in dead deer before, not from this range however. I don't think my capabilities are simply good enough, and would rather wait for a better opportunity.

Gateholio
11-28-2010, 07:00 PM
I have hunted with some very reputable guide/friends, that are considered expert marksmen, for big game before, many, many times, and have witnessed countless shots in the 400 to 600 yard range and beyond.

blahblah blah blah

blah blah blah

blah blah

So, what exactly *is* your experience with frontal shots?

Sleep Robber
11-28-2010, 07:15 PM

Gatehouse, this is my post from the other "shot placement thread"

Quote:

"Boiler Room for sure. I have taken neck shots to finish {second shot}animals off before, quite a few times. I have only shot one deer in the neck as the first shot, and he was bedded down staring at me 15 yards away, got him right in the throat patch, done like dinner. I have also shot one bear in the back of the neck, but he was standing, looking away from me, not even 30 yards away, and I felt very confident, he dropped dead immediately.

I wonder how many "HERO" neck/head shots there have been this year alone, where the guy thinks he's got it made, only to see the animal fast track into the woods, never to be seen again, not knowing if he wounded it or not, only to die later and never be found. ???

To me the vitals {heart, lungs} is the safest, most effective way of bagging an animal, hands down.

I may also add , that I have let more than a few animals live for another day, simply because I know my capabilities, and if I have any doubt at all, they get a pass."
Unquote:

You don't need to have shot an animal from 400 yards in the front to know if it is a hard shot or not, and now that I'm obviously talking to 3 of you, I'm done.

Good luck with your next 9, from what I saw you'll need it.

Gateholio
11-28-2010, 07:33 PM
Gatehouse, this is my post from the other "shot placement thread"

Quote:

"Boiler Room for sure. I have taken neck shots to finish {second shot}animals off before, quite a few times. I have only shot one deer in the neck as the first shot, and he was bedded down staring at me 15 yards away, got him right in the throat patch, done like dinner. I have also shot one bear in the back of the neck, but he was standing, looking away from me, not even 30 yards away, and I felt very confident, he dropped dead immediately.

blah blah blah blah blah

blah blah

blah

blah de blah blah

So, you have never shot an animal in the front of the chest and you have no experience with it.

Thanks for letting us know (finally) that you have zero experience with the topic the OP originally asked about.

GoatGuy
11-28-2010, 07:40 PM

Like to get close and will not even attempt a shot if there's a bushes in the way. Shooting through the bush is old school and should not be permitted in modern times.

Gateholio
11-28-2010, 07:49 PM
Like to get close and will not even attempt a shot if there's a bushes in the way. Shooting through the bush is old school and should not be permitted in modern times.

I do not allow bushes to grow anywhere I hunt.

fuzzybiscuit
11-28-2010, 07:58 PM
Hunting would be a little slow for you on Cortez Island then Gate.

I hear the bushes grow mighty thick over there and are seldom logged.:mrgreen:

Gateholio
11-28-2010, 08:02 PM
Hunting would be a little slow for you on Cortez Island then Gate.

I hear the bushes grow mighty thick over there and are seldom logged.:mrgreen:

Thanks for the tip, I'll avoid COrtez. Haven't been there since the 80's anyway.:wink:

Sleep Robber
11-28-2010, 08:06 PM
So, you have never shot an animal in the front of the chest and you have no experience with it.

Thanks for letting us know (finally) that you have zero experience with the topic the OP originally asked about.

No, you see, I get nice and close to my animals, I have that ability, unlike some, and that's just what I figured, you'd try anything to get away from your bullsh!t statement. Your true colors are shining bright. Now I see why. Grow up and take some constructive criticism like a man. Mr 1 for 1, what a hero.

ruger#1
11-28-2010, 08:08 PM
No, you see, I get nice and close to my animals, I have that ability, unlike some, and that's just what I figured, you'd try anything to get away from your bullsh!t statement. Your true colors are shining bright. Now I see why. Grow up and take some constructive criticism like a man. Mr 1 for 1, what a hero.He must hunt in a fenced in area.

fuzzybiscuit
11-28-2010, 08:11 PM
Sleep Robber; I thought you said that you were done. Guess not.:mrgreen:

Hank Hunter
11-28-2010, 08:15 PM
Sleep Robber the OP asked about frontal shots, why ramble on about your personal issue with Gatehouse and hijack the thread. Start a new one and vent your problems there

Sleep Robber
11-28-2010, 08:16 PM
He must hunt in a fenced in area.

For the last few seasons, Two 3500 acre cattle ranches to be exact, besides my Island trip. I cut my game with a fork, how about you chump ?? Is your gravy tough too.

ruger#1
11-28-2010, 08:19 PM
For the last few seasons, Two 3500 acre cattle ranches to be exact, besides my Island trip. I cut my game with a fork, how about you chump ?? Is your gravy tough too.I am very proud of you. Your the man that needs to grow up. Not everyone has close shots. Loosen your shorts a bit. It's cutting off the circulation of blood to your brain. And I do not like gravy.

Sleep Robber
11-28-2010, 08:21 PM
Sleep Robber the OP asked about frontal shots, why ramble on about your personal issue with Gatehouse and hijack the thread. Start a new one and vent your problems there

Sorry, I thought a shot to the throat patch and down was a frontal shot ?? Sorry for the hijack, I'll take your advice, and let it go.

Gateholio
11-28-2010, 08:23 PM
No, you see, I get nice and close to my animals, I have that ability, unlike some, and that's just what I figured, you'd try anything to get away from your bullsh!t statement.

blah

blah

blah

Most of the frontal chest shots I have taken on animals have been pretty close. One bear was about 10 feet away. One bear was 98 yards away. One bear was 75 yards away. A few deer I was about 20-25 yards from. One deer was 400 yards away. All reacted the same, they dropped on the spot. One bear required a follow up shot, with me standing almost on top of him.

If you had some experience with this type of shot, perhaps you would be able to make a contribution to the actual topic of this thread, rather than just blah blah blah about your theories about me.

peashooter
11-28-2010, 08:25 PM
50 yards i would butcher wrap him.

and as far as the other topic, anyone can miss at 50 or 358yards broadside or frontal. as long as the human element is around mistakes and misses will happen.

Blair
11-29-2010, 04:53 PM
Boy, I had no idea what I was starting!!!!!!!!!!!

Sleep Robber
11-29-2010, 05:07 PM
Boy, I had no idea what I was starting!!!!!!!!!!!

I went overboard and apologize, Even if I don't believe what was said, I should have left it alone. Sorry for the bullsh!t . It wasn't my place to do what I did. :redface: