PDA

View Full Version : This ones for you Captain Kirk!! aka Onesock

OOBuck
11-27-2010, 10:04 AM
Hey Kirk

I found this and thought you might find minute 1:20 on very informative :mrgreen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VtGRcA3mGs

Blacktail
11-27-2010, 10:35 AM
yup:mrgreen:

Bowzone_Mikey
11-27-2010, 10:47 AM
Good for primitive weapons (Non chemical powered) Still not archery equip ;)

still loud too

boing-whap
11-27-2010, 12:17 PM
Bowzone are you suggesting that the sound damping devices are not archery equiptment?

OOBuck
11-27-2010, 02:31 PM

still loud too

Do we have another high & mighty self righteous bow hunter?:confused:

OOBuck
11-27-2010, 02:32 PM
Bowzone are you suggesting that the sound damping devices are not archery equiptment?

From the sounds of it he might be suggesting that crossbows are not archery equipment. Might want to clear it up Mikey?? Are crossbows archery or not in your mind..

Bowzone_Mikey
11-27-2010, 03:15 PM
LMAO .....

I was being sarcastic ... hence the Winkie ;)

but I was suggesting that Uncle Teds Sims additions .. while did quiet it down ... it still aint as quiet as my Diamond, Bowtech or Sticks ...

Ya'll take shit too dang serious ....

Dragginbait
11-27-2010, 05:06 PM
I have popcorn ready to go in the microwave just waiting to see where this one goes. I like Uncle Tedssubtle use of words when it comes to what he thinks about the ricious(sp) stick and stringers.

Kody94
11-27-2010, 05:16 PM
...what he thinks about the ricious(sp) stick and stringers.

He was referring to anti-crossbow folks, not "stick and stringers". Not the same thing.

rocksteady
11-27-2010, 05:28 PM
Does not matter to me how loud my X-Bow is, by then my rage broadhead is already sliding between 2 ribs, slicing into the aorta!!!!!

Speed of sound versus speed of the arrow !!!!

PS I love Ted....He speaks his mind and all those non hunters can just F*$K OFF!!!!!

Kody94
11-27-2010, 05:36 PM
Does not matter to me how loud my X-Bow is, by then my rage broadhead is already sliding between 2 ribs, slicing into the aorta!!!!!

Speed of sound versus speed of the arrow !!!!

PS I love Ted....He speaks his mind and all those non hunters can just F*$K OFF!!!!!

Rocky:

The speed of sound is likely more than 4x the speed of your arrow (depends of course on the speed of the arrow, and the temperature out, etc etc). There is a lot of scientific evidence posted on line about the reaction speed of deer (and other game), compared to the speed of sound and the time of flight of an arrow over various distances.

If a deer or elk can jump the string on a compound, or recurve, (and they can) they can surely do it when shot at by your compound....it just ain't that fast. Making it as quiet as possible just reduces the chance of an unnecessary miss/wound.

boing-whap
11-27-2010, 05:36 PM
I've heard that filling the rail of an Excaliber Xbow with expanding foam will also help dampen the sound quiet effectively, the rail is the aluminum part that the bolt lays on when fully cocked. Has anyone tried this? I'm considering it and would like to know what brand of expanding foam to use.

rocksteady
11-27-2010, 05:56 PM
Rocky:

The speed of sound is likely more than 4x the speed of your arrow (depends of course on the speed of the arrow, and the temperature out, etc etc). There is a lot of scientific evidence posted on line about the reaction speed of deer (and other game), compared to the speed of sound and the time of flight of an arrow over various distances.

If a deer or elk can jump the string on a compound, or recurve, (and they can) they can surely do it when shot at by your compound....it just ain't that fast. Making it as quiet as possible just reduces the chance of an unnecessary miss/wound.

Don't confuse this debate with scientific evidence and facts, I was just being a sarcastic prick, like i have been known to be !!!!!

Pretty good when the first response called my bluff....Way to go Kody!!!!

Kody94
11-27-2010, 06:27 PM
Don't confuse this debate with scientific evidence and facts, I was just being a sarcastic prick, like i have been known to be !!!!!

Pretty good when the first response called my bluff....Way to go Kody!!!!

LOL. You disguised it well. :) Got me.

Blacktail
11-27-2010, 06:37 PM
LOL. You disguised it well. :) Got me.

with the way he has been posting lately........could you not clue in????:wink::mrgreen:

Kody94
11-27-2010, 06:44 PM
with the way he has been posting lately........could you not clue in????:wink::mrgreen:

LOL. Are you saying that I missed the sarcasm in the "shot placement" thread too?

Stéphane
11-27-2010, 07:00 PM
I think crossbows are cool too. My 2nd favourite weapon in Uncharted- Among Thieves, right after the RPG.

Seriously, the guy looks like he knows his stuff. I'm taking it all in. I would love to try one. At first, I thought crossbows were way more powerful than bows, but some compound bows can really hold their own.

Good read here for those interested: http://www.huntersfriend.com/products/archery/crossbows/performance.html

rocksteady
11-27-2010, 07:07 PM
LOL. Are you saying that I missed the sarcasm in the "shot placement" thread too?

Sorry dude, no sarcasm in the shot placement thread..I was serious....

If I delve into the world of non stop sarcasm and psychobabblerap, I will reappear as the username of "Jelvis_jr." everything will rhyme and nothing will make sense:wink::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Kody94
11-27-2010, 07:13 PM

Now I am confused. Was this post sarcasm too?

LOL

Sorry.....whatever you do, PLEEEEASE don't come back as Jelly Jr!

rocksteady
11-27-2010, 07:32 PM
You got me so confused with reverse physchology that I don't know if I am riding a horse or flying the space shuttle.....HANG ON JELLY, I WILL BE THERE IN A MINUTE>>>>>TELL THE MOTHERSHIP TO WAIT FOR ME!!!!!!!!

J_T
11-28-2010, 07:49 AM

If I delve into the world of non stop sarcasm and psychobabblerap, I will reappear as the username of "Jelvis_jr." everything will rhyme and nothing will make sense:wink::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen: Je$u$, please don't go there. Or I might have to start posting on the "Evolution vs Creation" thread.

The Hermit
11-28-2010, 06:29 PM
Limbsaver sells a complete crossbow kit... VantagePoint has some on order. ;-)

Gateholio
11-28-2010, 07:46 PM
Anti crossbow IDIOTS

Hilarious...:mrgreen:

boing-whap
11-28-2010, 09:43 PM
The bug-up-ass-ed-ness with regards to Xbows seems very British to me, snobby and classist, being a North American I'm into one thing and thats Freedom. (and cool little rubber do-hickys that make bows more stealthy)

BowSitter
11-28-2010, 10:53 PM
You got me so confused with reverse physchology that I don't know if I am riding a horse or flying the space shuttle.....HANG ON JELLY, I WILL BE THERE IN A MINUTE>>>>>TELL THE MOTHERSHIP TO WAIT FOR ME!!!!!!!!

Damed near choked on my cookie reading this one!!:-D

greybark
11-29-2010, 02:46 AM
:-D Wow old Nuggy with his overbite should not place that cocking string around his neck . Some serious flossing could take place . :-D
Cheers

phoenix
11-29-2010, 03:29 AM
Limbsaver sells a complete crossbow kit... VantagePoint has some on order. ;-)
I tried one of those kits on my Barnett Predator. It quieted it a little, it slowed it down almost 30fps which then required resighting the bow, and the little string leeches only lasted about 50 shots. I wasn't impressed.
Kim

Bow Walker
11-30-2010, 11:45 AM
Crossbow anti-vibe/silencing "thingies" have to be waaay more durable and heavily constructed than compound bow stuff since the forces at play are harcher than a compound. The stresses are multiplied by the heavier draw weights and the shortness of the string.

Yeah, pretty obvious on second thought...

OOBuck
12-01-2010, 07:38 AM
Anti crossbow IDIOTS

Hilarious...:mrgreen:

YAAAA!! Clark got it!! Minute 1:20!!!!! LOL:-D:-D:-D:-D

weatherby_man
12-01-2010, 09:14 AM
"so we can get more and more people enjoying the outdoor lifestyle"

I love this part. Its true, lets get more and more people to love what we love and dont disparage the method they want to use!

Franko Manini
12-14-2010, 12:21 AM
This thread really delivered some serious "ballistic smack-down".

Maybe next time, just "squirt it right on there".

Way to go Uncle Ted.

aggiehunter
12-20-2010, 07:13 PM
It would appear it is you guys who wish to spur on any and all discussion regarding the Xbow. Be carefull if your gonna praise Uncle Ted too much...he's pro-bow you know! Further to that before you talk about "laying the smack down' do a little research. One of the states Uncle Ted talks about has a 5 month bow season and yes they throw in a week for you gun toters....yay Ted! He's also incorrect unless Sara Paylon just got it passed but Xbows are not legal for use in a bowonly season in Alaska. Maybe I'll just give my ol buddy Ted a call and see if can get ahold of our Ministry and get some real bowonly seasons for us here in BC. Onesock is entitled to his opinion just like Ted and if he gives my kid shit for shooting two whities on his first bowhunt with the Xcalibur I'll tell him to eat his other sock!

Onesock
12-20-2010, 09:24 PM
If the one kid is anything like the other kid he will be throwing away his x-gun soon! Glad you guys had a great season.

xtremearchery
12-21-2010, 11:15 AM

still loud too

Dont know where u get that. Not archery equipment. All the archery shoots this year have x-bow class, it's legal equipment to use during the archery GOS. Plus on a personal note. I had a shoulder replacement in August and never thought i'd be able to shoot again. X-bow would have been my only option if I wanted to continue in the sport we love. Not to mention, Archery is a big part of my lively hood.

Onesock
12-21-2010, 11:56 AM
Sent a PM with the $hit!!!

Gateholio
12-21-2010, 12:16 PM
Ted seems to be pro "hunting opportunity" and not care what weapon is used. He definitely is into guns, and to him more gun seasons = more opportunity. More crossbow in bow season= more opportunity.

I made a thread about stupid hunting laws, prompted by one of his shows where he criticizes stupid laws that lower hunter opportunity. No crossbows in bow season is certainly on the top of his list.:-D

The Hermit
12-21-2010, 05:51 PM
I just ordered a 2011 Maximus Crossbow as a demo... can't wait to try it out. Not everyone will like crossbows but then again not everyone likes Appleton Rum on their ice cream either, just goes to show you that there is no accounting for taste or logic!

A hahahaha!

Bowzone_Mikey
12-21-2010, 06:38 PM
Dont know where u get that. Not archery equipment. All the archery shoots this year have x-bow class, it's legal equipment to use during the archery GOS. Plus on a personal note. I had a shoulder replacement in August and never thought i'd be able to shoot again. X-bow would have been my only option if I wanted to continue in the sport we love. Not to mention, Archery is a big part of my lively hood.

Do a Fita mail match with a crossbow and see how far you get, and I didnt see a crossbow class at the commenwealth games so not all shoots (yes there is compund classes at the Commonwealth games)

and its legal in certain jurisdictions ... BC included .... In my eyes its legal to hunt with ... but there is way more to archery than just hunting ....

Also be a good idea to learn internet language before you spout off on a person ...

On a personal note .. I too have had shoulder surgery, tho not the extent that I am sure you have had .... my Friend Trevor has ... 12 months later he is shooting better than ever with a compound bow

aggiehunter
12-21-2010, 08:11 PM
Gatehouse, Yah he's definitely into guns...the last time I was him at the Gorge he had two .50 cals on stands on stage...but he did use a chromed compound to shoot Sadaam during a small break so NO he is pro-bow.

Gateholio
12-21-2010, 08:34 PM
My point is he is PRO hunting, Pro gun, Pro Longbow, Pro Crossbow, Pro muzzleloader, Pro fishing rod..etc etc...

When it comes to hunting he sure sounds like he is pro OPPORTUNITY. Whatever gets the most people out hunting is what works for him.

huntwriter
12-21-2010, 09:59 PM
Having the fortune of knowing Ted personally, aggiehunter is right, Ted loves his bows and bowhunting. Gatehouse is also right. Ted really doesn't give a rats hairy behind what type of weapon a hunter uses. In fact, I heard Ted tell an archer blaspheming crossbow hunters. "We're all hunters you dumb idiot go out hunting instead of spewing shit about fellow hunters."

Unlike many others, Ted understands that every division among us works in the end against us. More hunting opportunities have been lost because of hunters badmouthing each other than because of anti-hunters.

Timber-hunt
12-22-2010, 06:36 AM
WELL SAID---huntwriter More hunting opportunities have been lost because of hunters badmouthing each other than because of anti-hunters.

aggiehunter
12-23-2010, 03:07 PM
I'm not a stat guy but it would be interesting if you guys could point to some hunting op's that were lost due to infighting amongst hunters.

huntwriter
12-23-2010, 06:10 PM
In BC the muzzleloader season has been lost because hunters were fighting with each other over what constitutes a muzzleloader. The traditionalist were loud and clear about their objection to in-line muzzlelaoder and to prove it they came up with the usual myth and misinformation about in-lines. Finally the gov. had enough and said screw it there will be no more muzzlelaoder season..

In Colorado the use of traditional muzzleloaders with round balls had been outlawed because in-line muzzleloader hunters were of the opinion that round balls are not an effective hunting round.

In all American states crossbows were outlawed as a hunting weapon due to the pressure, misinformation and myth spread by bowhunters and their organizations. Only in recent years have some states seen the light and truth through the smoke screen and started to permit crossbows for all, not only disabled, hunters. Some states created special seasons for crossbows others where smarter and put the crossbow where it belongs, into the archery season. Crossbow hunters still feel the negative pressure from bowhunters and their organization and fight hard to get accepted amidst all the hype and lies .

In California and some other states, and in Canada the so called "black rifles" (AR-15, AR-10, M4 Carbine and so on) are outlawed because some hunter organizations lobby government with the myth that these rifles are unethical. Here in Canada these rifles are outlawed because they are capable of rapid fire.

And so I could go on for many pages. Then of course there are all the different segments of hunters that constantly fight and lobby governments to get longer seasons than their "competition".

Of course each time hunters carry out an agenda driven dispute in public the anti hunters take note and jump on the bandwagon with things like "Even the hunters say that ..... is unethical."

Hunters are many times more than not their own worst enemy.

Onesock
12-23-2010, 06:24 PM
HW- Could you enlighten us on what the usual myths and misinformation about in-line muzzle loaders are.

Gateholio
12-23-2010, 10:08 PM
In BC the muzzleloader season has been lost because hunters were fighting with each other over what constitutes a muzzleloader. The traditionalist were loud and clear about their objection to in-line muzzlelaoder and to prove it they came up with the usual myth and misinformation about in-lines. Finally the gov. had enough and said screw it there will be no more muzzlelaoder season..

In Colorado the use of traditional muzzleloaders with round balls had been outlawed because in-line muzzleloader hunters were of the opinion that round balls are not an effective hunting round.

In all American states crossbows were outlawed as a hunting weapon due to the pressure, misinformation and myth spread by bowhunters and their organizations. Only in recent years have some states seen the light and truth through the smoke screen and started to permit crossbows for all, not only disabled, hunters. Some states created special seasons for crossbows others where smarter and put the crossbow where it belongs, into the archery season. Crossbow hunters still feel the negative pressure from bowhunters and their organization and fight hard to get accepted amidst all the hype and lies .

In California and some other states, and in Canada the so called "black rifles" (AR-15, AR-10, M4 Carbine and so on) are outlawed because some hunter organizations lobby government with the myth that these rifles are unethical. Here in Canada these rifles are outlawed because they are capable of rapid fire.

And so I could go on for many pages. Then of course there are all the different segments of hunters that constantly fight and lobby governments to get longer seasons than their "competition".

Of course each time hunters carry out an agenda driven dispute in public the anti hunters take note and jump on the bandwagon with things like "Even the hunters say that ..... is unethical."

Hunters are many times more than not their own worst enemy.

I essentially agree with this sentiment.

Special weapons hunters have often attempted to exclude others in many areas. Same as some elitist fishermen lobbying to get their particular brand of fishing allowed and others prohibited even if there was no conservation concern.

People that use special weapons should just USE them. Quit worrying about the other guy and how he 'screws" you because of your weapon.

Ambush
12-23-2010, 10:16 PM
.....worrying about the other guy and how he 'screws" you because of your weapon.
I never even knew I was getting screwed untill I read about it on HBC.

Now I'm really friggin' mad!!!!

huntwriter
12-23-2010, 10:18 PM
HW- Could you enlighten us on what the usual myths and misinformation about in-line muzzle loaders are.

"They are not really muzzleloader", "In-line muzzleaders give the hunter an unfair advantage", "in-lines are like centerfire rifles" and the one that always cracks me up "in-lines are unethical". It's more or less the same narrowminded and selfish hogwash that some bowhunters spread about crossbows because they are afraid that more hunters could pick up the sport and compete for space and game.

I might add that I shoot and hunt with traditional cap lock and in-line muzzleloaders for no particular reason other than that I can and because it is fun. The same is true for bowhunting. I use a traditional take-down recurve, a compound bow or a crossbow, because I can and because it is fun. I just mention that so you do not think I am a crossbow supporter or in-line supporter. I support ALL hunting styles and equipment choices because hunting is about having FUN and enjoyment and not about what style and equipment we choose.

Gateholio
12-23-2010, 10:25 PM

Guys like you make it clear that a bowhunter just needs to HUNT, not rely on a special season or special considerations to be successful.

If there were no bow seasons, you would still be killing animals....Like most hardcore bow hunters I have met.

Ambush
12-24-2010, 08:04 AM
Guys like you make it clear that a bowhunter just needs to HUNT, not rely on a special season or special considerations to be successful.
Too old to know when to use "emoticoms".:icon_frow

I was just kidding.:mrgreen:

Onesock
12-24-2010, 08:39 AM
HW I don't know anything about in-line muzzel loaders period. Although I did read an article in a BC hunting mag(no names) about the author shooting 300 yds. Is this realistic?

Bow Walker
12-24-2010, 10:52 AM
: This ones for you Captain Kirk!! aka Onesock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambush http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=817378#post817378)

If there were no bow seasons, you would still be killing animals....Like most hardcore bow hunters I have met.

All the deer that I've killed have been outside of the 'bow only' seasons. I find that the early season is way too warm. I like to hunt from October through to the end of November.

The Hermit
12-24-2010, 11:06 AM
I watched for about an hour as this old guy shooting a flint lock muzzleloader at a heavy metal pie plate at 100 yards... he hit it every time!!

Gateholio
12-24-2010, 11:25 AM
I was just kidding.:mrgreen:

I know!!!:-D

HW I don't know anything about in-line muzzel loaders period. Although I did read an article in a BC hunting mag(no names) about the author shooting 300 yds. Is this realistic?

300 yards seems a ling way, I always heard 200 yards. I don't have an inline, so I don't know for sure!:-D

Onesock
12-24-2010, 11:26 AM
Yea Hermy some of these old guys are amazing. Your old but not that amazing. Well amazing in some respects. Merry HoHo

Ron.C
12-24-2010, 11:27 AM

Very possible. But not personally something I'd do.

If I wanted to shoot that type of distance, I'd just use a cenerfire rifle.

But here's a little food for thought

I shoot a TC Prohunter inline, 100grains of powder, 300 grain bullet. I am zero'd at 100 yards. At 25 yards I am 2" high, 125 yards I am 1" low, at 150 yards I am 6" low. Not quite what you'd call a flat shooting gun.
Even though I know how and where my gun shoots, I limit myself to 100 yards. Not saying the gun can't shoot further, it's just my limit.

If I wanted to shoot long range with my inline and flatten my trajectory I could achieve this by using a lighter bullet and another 50 grains if powder. But the trajectory would be crazy in comparison to a centerfire.
Very similar to a bowhunter using a faster bow, more draw weight and lighter arrow to flatten his trajectort and tighten his pin gap.

huntwriter
12-24-2010, 02:02 PM

With modern in-lines using shot schell primers for ignition and sabboted pistol bullets its possible.

aggiehunter
12-27-2010, 10:51 PM
Gatehouse...So if your presenting a case for a lengthened season which a biologist clearly indicates will have NO affect on the population and the mass's of hunters vote it down how would you get that season lengthened..any ideas? PS, APART FROM HUGGING.

Gateholio
12-28-2010, 12:30 AM
Gatehouse...So if your presenting a case for a lengthened season which a biologist clearly indicates will have NO affect on the population and the mass's of hunters vote it down how would you get that season lengthened..any ideas? PS, APART FROM HUGGING.

The decision to implement a season is not at the discretion of the "masses" of hunters, it's with the province, so you have to convince them it's a good idea.

If the idea is to increase hunter opportunity without affecting population levels there are a couple of ideas that seems to have worked for our area.

You might try proposing a new any weapon LEH season (where harvest can be strictly controlled) or an any weapon youth season. (where harvest is also limited)

If the idea to only increase opportunity for those that use a certain type of weapon, I don't have any ideas, sorry.

aggiehunter
12-29-2010, 07:12 PM
Bowzone...all the deer and Elk I have killed were during a BOWONLY season...hmmm. Pardon me...except when I rifle hunted 30 years ago.