PDA

View Full Version : Hi and my season.

Firehunter
11-27-2010, 09:56 AM
Well considering I've been lurking here for a while and my season is over for now I figured I better introduce myself. I'm another one of those lucky sob's that get to live in the E.K., spend as much of the year out in the bush as I'm allowed(don't we all?) and just welcomed my 4th son into the world on Nov 25.

I had a fairly good season this year harvesting an immature bull moose, my smallest mulie to date and bugling in an nice 6x6 bull elk for my dad's birthday.
http://s1124.photobucket.com/albums/l566/EKfirehunter/?action=view&current=Dadsbullsept2320104.jpg

http://s1124.photobucket.com/albums/l566/EKfirehunter/?action=view&current=Dadsbullsept2320103.jpg

No pics(forgot camera) or big story on the moose just went out that morning looking primarily for elk and came across a cow and a 2x2 bull moose bedded in a slough about 125yds away. Waited for about 30 min for the bull to stand up and put 1 shot through the boiler and then the work started as I was by myself. Took all day to cut a trail through the log block to get the quad to him but 9 hours later he was in the truck whole.

For my mulie I had my 17 month old boy with my in a kiddie pack
http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l566/EKfirehunter/Mulie20104.jpg
Now with his 3rd word being deer I can't not take him out with me. He loves coming hunting with dad and since the older boys were in school that day it was just him and I. Started out the morning of Nov. 2 hiking up into a little drainage I know pretty well and spotted a few deer up on and old cut block. I could tell there was a buck with them but needed a closer look.

Upon reaching the edge of the block I couldn't see the buck. Quitely I put the boy in the pack down behind me and start to glass the herd of 12 does and fawns that ae about 150 yrds out in front of us. Suddenly my son squeals out "Deer!" and I look at him as he's pointing to our right towards a buck that's just walking out of the thick timber 100yds away. The buck stops and looks right at us, busted I'm thinking but the buck just stands there. I put up the rifle scope to see if he's a legal 4 point and yup he's a small 4x3 not exactly what I'm looking for but maybe.

Then I hear another "Deer!" only this time it's not a squeal more like an angry grunt and when I look back at my son he's no longer looking at the buck but directly at me still pointing at the buck with a pissed off look on his face as if to say "He's right there dad what are you doing?" Well that did it for me as I line back up on the buck and sqeeze the trigger. The results a nice little 19 inch wide 4x3.

http://s1124.photobucket.com/albums/l566/EKfirehunter/?action=view&current=Mulie20103.jpg

http://s1124.photobucket.com/albums/l566/EKfirehunter/?action=view&current=Mulie20102.jpg

whitetailsheds
11-27-2010, 10:00 AM
Good stuff! Great to see the boy out! Thanks for posting up the story and photos!

curt
11-27-2010, 10:02 AM
welcome and that sounds like a great season with the little ones good on you for including them.

rocksteady
11-27-2010, 10:04 AM
Welcome aboard, great first post....Gotta love living in the EK....

Tikka270wsm
11-27-2010, 10:13 AM
Cool story and congrats on a successfull season. I had to laugh at your story. I hope my daughter turns out to be as helpfull in my hunting as your boy is to you. Welcome to the site.

11-27-2010, 10:24 AM
Too Funny With Your Little Spotter.
Congrats To You, Sound Like You Best By A Few Freezers Too With 4 Boyz

Welcome To The Site And By The Looks Of Things, We All Look Forward To Your Future Posts.

Ct

MichaelB
11-27-2010, 10:56 AM
Great first post and welcome to HBC! You look awfully young to have 4 boys! Y'all must be members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints? :wink:

cavebear
11-27-2010, 10:58 AM
is your son available for a hunt early next season :-D

Great pics of the little guy,

Welcome and happy hunting :-D

seanps
11-27-2010, 10:59 AM
Nice story!

TDoyle
11-27-2010, 11:05 AM
nice read! nice pics!

sawmill
11-27-2010, 11:51 AM
Nice deer,reckon you better keep that boy:mrgreen:

cariboobill
11-27-2010, 01:54 PM
welcome to a great local web site for sharing our collective knowledge. I also have met fellow HBC folks hunting since I joined. Been a good place for me to read others hunting experiences, like yours. So thanks for the great post.

CB

Firehunter
11-27-2010, 02:25 PM
Great first post and welcome to HBC! You look awfully young to have 4 boys! Y'all must be members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints? :wink:

I wouldn't consider 27 that young but others might and with boys at 10, 6 18 months and 3 days I've got myself a pack train in the making.

Welcome aboard, great first post....Gotta love living in the EK....
6th generation living in the columbia valley and wouldn't want to live anywhere else:)

rocksteady
11-27-2010, 04:10 PM
Since you got 4 boys at your age you got to hunt more and *%$K less.....Could get expensive if you keep that up....:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

So you say Columbia Valley, I am assuming up Golden way then???

Firehunter
11-27-2010, 04:25 PM
Since you got 4 boys at your age you got to hunt more and *%$K less.....Could get expensive if you keep that up....:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

So you say Columbia Valley, I am assuming up Golden way then???

That issue is getting dealt with in early Jan.:?

And not as far up as Golden I live in Invermere with all our 180+ town deer same as you have.

rocksteady
11-27-2010, 04:42 PM
[quote=Firehunter;797968]That issue is getting dealt with in early Jan.:?

quote]

Post pictures....Oh wait, maybe not:wink::wink: