PDA

View Full Version : Looking for hunting mentors and friends in BC

Morel
11-26-2010, 11:03 PM
Please forgive, and indulge the somewhat long initial post.

Looking through member’s initial posts, apparently it is proper to start with a joke.

Here goes....

“If someone tells you they are a compulsive liar, should you believe them?”…..

waiting for the customary groan from the audience…. Come on, I can take it!

Well, on to business… I am new to BC and am interested in hunting and the outdoors hence the handle Morel (unfortunately morel mushrooms are not very common in the spring BC… if I am wrong pleas let me know and where you collect). I fished a lot with my dad as a kid, did a bit of target shooting with a .22, but no hunting. Before moving to BC, I had a couple friends that were experienced hunters and was hoping to head out with them in the fall during deer and duck season. Moving put a bit of a wrench in my plans and I was not able to get into the field this fall. I joined the forum to get in touch with experienced hunters and hopefully find some mentors and friends to hunt with in BC.

I have taken up trap and target shooting over the last year and see them as simply practice for hunting. Since hunting season is mostly over for this year, my goals for this year (in no particular order) are: i) to get my C.O.R.E certification and BC hunter registration ii) to become more proficient with my rifles (12 GA. shotgun, .22 and 30 cal. Mosin-Nagnat ) so I have the confidence that the bullet will go where I am aiming ensuring a safe, clean kill with little waste iii) join a gun club (likely the Port Coquitlam and District Hunting and Fishing Club) to have a place to practice shooting iv) to scout possible hunting sites (aka. going for a walk in the woods) and iv) find friends and mentors who would be willing to help out a hunter new to the discipline.

Fishing and shooting with my dad instilled in me a couple of basic principles that I will inevitably bring to any hunting situation i) do not catch what you are not planning to use (i.e you eat what you catch) for me this means using what you hunt, or eliminating pests and invasive species and ii) safety, safety, safety (guns are dangerous, don’t point them at others or yourself).

I am seeking mentors and friends in the BC hunting community, so what do I bring to the table? Besides my interests in hunting, one of my main hobbies is cooking. If you are willing to teach, I am willing to cook at camp (for starters think fresh baked bread, lots of butter, crispy bacon and fresh meat cooked to order). I am a very good cook; hence the philosophy of eating what you catch.

Cheers,
Morel

The Dawg
11-26-2010, 11:11 PM
With those attributes, you wont be hard pressed to find someone locally willing to take you out.

Hell, if you ever make it to PG, I'm sure one of our camps could use a cook ;)

Welcome to the site, and the addiction.

Morel
11-26-2010, 11:55 PM
Dear NoahDawg,
Thank you for the reply. For now PG is a little far (about 10h by Google Maps) but not out of the question for next season if I plan ahead. I am happy to cook as long as people appreciate the food. I would be happy to make the trip to PG (and cook) if you are willing to teach!

Steeleco
11-27-2010, 09:42 AM
Welcome to the site Morel. I take it your in the LML? I'd consider looking at the Mission gun club as an alternative. Nicer facility and a huge club house. See if you can't make it out to one of our Tim's nights in Cloverdale.

A few folks have meet and done day trips after a coffee and doughnut!!

I think the next one is this Wed??

Morel
11-27-2010, 05:57 PM
Dear Steeleco,

Thank you for the reply. Yes, I live in the lower mainland at the very western edge of Vancouver. I was looking into the Mission club but was thinking of joining the Coquitlam club because it is closer (1h by car versus 1.5h to Mission according to Google). A 2h vs. 3h round trip would give me more time for shooting at Coquitlam.

How do the clubs compare other than facility size? I shot at Coquitlam last weekend - there were a couple of people shooting hunting rifles at distance (150-200m) but most people seemed to shooting handguns and AR style rifles at short ranges. After only one visit I can not really judge the types of members but I was very impressed with the range and the strict safety. Do you know how do the clubs compare in terms of members - target shooters vs. hunters?

Are the Tim's nights a Mission club thing or can anyone join? I need to get my CORE and BC hunter number before heading out to the field but would certainly like to meet some folks in person and if you are willing, could tag along but not shoot.

Steeleco
11-27-2010, 07:19 PM
The Tims nights are just something some of us do once a month.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=48729

I've shot at Mission and PoCo, I'd drive the extra bit to get some piece and quiet. PoCo changed when they became the nearest range to the masses!! I believe Mission is cheaper for an annual membership also.
Hell you can pick up cheap gas while your out there. LOL