PDA

View Full Version : Swede saws

115 or bust
11-26-2010, 09:54 PM
Lol I must be getting bored to be starting so many threads. I have a small quad which is awesome for packing into boats and getting in on tight trails etc. Little grizzly 80cc. My problem is I obviously can't pack a chainsaw in on this, however I am wanting to do some road reactivation/trail cutting for next season. I was planning on picking up a swede saw to get the job done. Has anyone have much experience with any of the brands out there, the only ones I know are the orange ones from CT. Place where said saws can be purchased as well would be nice too. Thanks

115 or bust
11-26-2010, 10:03 PM
Another area of interest would be pruning saws and shears, I'm partial to Fiskars, any other opinions?? Nothing like increasing the value of the reprod for the timber Co while prolonging your hunting in the secret spots lol:-)

CanuckShooter
11-27-2010, 06:52 AM
I'd opt for the Poulan...if that machine can pack you the little saw shouldn't add too much weight??? If the stuff you want to clear is a little smaller I'd recommend you try a pruning type saw first, the heavier saw type blade on the swede saws is good for larger wood but not all that great on willow sized stuff.

ruger#1
11-27-2010, 05:34 PM
Get a saw press, It holds the chainsaws bar.So you have room on your racks, I do beleive that Koplin makes one. They should have one pictured on the Cabelas site.

rocksteady
11-27-2010, 06:00 PM
I'd opt for the Poulan

Oh you poor bugger, might as well bring an Evinrude 5 hp, as bring a poulan....:eek::eek:

A good crosscut was, easily purchased at Cambodian Tire is more reliable than a Poo-Lan chainsaw and a hell of a lot more productive...

ruger#1
11-27-2010, 06:05 PM
Oh you poor bugger, might as well bring an Evinrude 5 hp, as bring a poulan....:eek::eek:

A good crosscut was, easily purchased at Cambodian Tire is more reliable than a Poo-Lan chainsaw and a hell of a lot more productive...The small Husky's are made by pooplawn. The bigger ones are better.

boxhitch
11-27-2010, 07:32 PM
Look at a logging supply or orchard supply for a large pruning saw, type with the dee handle and crescent blade. Oregon brand comes to mind.
They actually make one that can be resharpened with a small chainsaw file, but in lots of looking I have never seen one in Canada, only US

When looking at the swede or bow saws find a quality one, as some of the chineep blades have virtually no offset and will bind real easy.

I use a smaller 8" folding Couhgans? saw for light work, good for that 6-10 yr old regen.

TyTy
11-27-2010, 07:45 PM
gerber makes a good pruning/hunting saw, comes with 2 different blades. $25 or so i think.

I use a large hatchet, machete and a swede saw if need be, for trail clearing.

rocksteady
11-27-2010, 07:57 PM
:twisted:I use my HUSKY 385 with the 32" bar...Get the helloutta my way....:twisted::twisted:

BlacktailStalker
11-27-2010, 11:25 PM
Home depot has good fiskars. I have one in the truck and one on the quad at all times.
Cut through an 18" windfall once (16" saw) coming out :mad:
Yeah it took a while but it sure beat walking. I usually only carry a chainsaw in times of heavy wind and snow.

Ogopogo
11-29-2010, 10:33 PM
try and find a stihl 015 AV, smallest chainsaw you would ever see. Got one for $10 once off castanet.

huntcoop
11-29-2010, 11:11 PM
try and find a stihl 015 AV, smallest chainsaw you would ever see. Got one for $10 once off castanet.

x2, the little 015 one hand arbor saw, awesome.

Squamch
11-30-2010, 09:00 PM
I keep an 041 farmboss with a 36" bar in my truck out in the bush. Haven't come across anything I couldn't cut, that needed cutting.
But a 015 in a Dakine builders pack is what my buddy brings dirtbiking/trail building. Sweet little saw and honestly, we haven't found anyhing we had to cut that we couldn't with it.

M.Dean
11-30-2010, 10:13 PM
I carry a saw with me every trip I go on. During hunting season,thats just about every day. I bought a little Husky 136, it's small, has lots of power and starts! If your limited for space on the Quad, see if you can hang a small chain saw off the front or rear rack. I take 2 old plastic cooler bottles, one with gas and one with chain oil. On my other Quad I have a hand saw, it's a Coghlan's, it comes in a solid hard plastic. The blades 12 inches long, over all length is 18 inches. And boy will it cut wood! I've cut lots of dead tree's off the trails with it. For what you need this one may be worth looking at. Punch in the name and maybe they'll have a photo of one. I bought it from Canadian Tire quite a while back, I think I paid about 25 bucks for it. Good Luck.

gmcgilli66
12-02-2010, 02:56 PM
Some of the Japanese "pullsaw" style pruning saws will go through stuff up to about 3" real quick!
Check out forestry supply places and arborist supply stores and go with what the pros are using if you want it for long term use

Elkaddict
12-02-2010, 03:05 PM
Consider a Sandvik brush axe if you are trail clearing. Excellent tool for the job.

.300WSMImpact!
12-07-2010, 05:03 PM
my swede saw is my favorite tool it goes everywhere, no specific brand I have three or four of them, I dont need a chain saw, just a bit of work, I cut new game trails, lines of site, or clean up fallen trees,