PDA

View Full Version : Drop camp hunt advice.

bearheart
06-03-2006, 09:28 AM
Due to unusual turn of events I will be doing a solo sheep hunt via drop camp this fall. I would love to speak to someone who has done similar to get tips and advice. I did similar hunt a few years back via jet boat with a buddy, he swore he'd think twice before going anywhere with me again ( it was a tough trip, grizzly bears as thick as fleas on a dog's back and very few sheep), hence the solo trip. I have older Dana Designs frame pack, Kifaru day pack, Integral Designs 2 man tent (4lbs) and all the usual small gear (stove water treatment etc.) Looking for advice on what to bring to stash at drop off point for emergency and back up, satellite phone recommendations. In the past I seem to have always taken too much stuff, I'll be alone this time so I sure as heck don't want to not take something critical. All tips will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.(To clarify, tips on all issues appreciated ,eg. cold camp -no cooking to reduce bear issues, take my big spotter or my light 30x leuopold,,etc,etc).:? :? :-)

mark
06-03-2006, 10:24 AM
update your will, and have a good trip! pack lots of bullets!

06-03-2006, 10:25 AM
Try typing "backpack hunts" into the advanced search on this site and over on the Huntshoot.com site..........lots of info with some extensive lists hunters have compiled about what to pack, as well as good advice.

bearheart
06-03-2006, 11:31 AM
update your will, and have a good trip! pack lots of bullets!Thanks, but I think driving through the Lowre Mainland on any weekend night going up country is pretty dangerous also.:lol:

harbinger
06-03-2006, 10:04 PM
Heard about a solo sheep LEH hunter in the spatsizi park that went missing last September. Kinda sad when I read the notice from his wife in Outdoor edge magazine pleading for anyone that may have run into him last season. I think a solo trip in that country (North BC) is unwise, you should be able to get someone from this site to go w/ you.
Anyway, lots of info out there on solo hunting and what to bring, good luck!

Kirby
06-03-2006, 10:32 PM
How much back country experience do you have? Not a flame, just curious as I wouldn't recomend this for anyone, especially an in-experienced back country hunter.

Kirby

bearheart
06-04-2006, 06:37 AM
I've been backpacking and hunting for over 20 years now. I have hunted sheep 8 times now , always with company before though. If someone is interested in joining me I wouldn't mind speaking with them:however, I have found most guys into this are much younger than me and I would slow them down and guys my age aren't interested.

kutenay
06-04-2006, 07:02 AM
I received your PM on 24Hr. asking my advice on this trip; I agree with the previous poster, based on quite a lot of solo, backcountry experience. This is a risky venture, something that even the most experienced and fittest hunter can suddenly come to grief doing. I have had friends of mine die while backpacking solo in the mountains and these were native-born B.C. boys with decades of experience.

With this said, solo backpack hunting is extremely rewarding, even if you do not shoot an animal and I do it frequently. I have no children, an understanding wife and I am prepared, emotionally, to take the risks involved and have done for many years. You need, IMHO, to think about the impact of potential "problems" on your family.

I honestly do not know if I can help you as you seem to have the gear I would recommend, that older DD packframe is a GEM, NEVER part with it! However, if you want to call me during weeknights, before 21:00, I am willing to get together and help you, assuming I can as you seem pretty knowledgable as it is. BTW, I am an "old phart" too and go slowly in the bush....see more game that way.

Give me a shout and perhaps I can help out, or, at least offer moral support as one "geezer" to another!

bearheart
06-04-2006, 11:54 AM
Thanks alot, I'll take you up on the offer.:grin:

boxhitch
06-06-2006, 12:53 PM
I've been backpacking and hunting for over 20 years now. I have hunted sheep 8 times now ,
I have found most guys into this are much younger than me and I would slow them down and guys my age aren't interested.
Heck, it looks like you rank in the more-knowledgable end of the scale, should be giving advise here.
Don't discount the efforts of us 'wheezers'. I like to think of my movement as being more efficient, not slower. We get there, too. Good luck in your search.