PDA

View Full Version : Goat Rut?

Twig-Chaser
11-26-2010, 01:14 PM
I am new to Goat hunting but trying to learn and take advantage of my LEH on Revelstoke Lake. I have gone out several times and only been able to spot Nanny's or Nannys with Kids. (I have spotted a couple Billys way up and were out of reach in a days hike with the little day light we have)

I have been told that Goats Rut in Late Fall.

My question is does a single Billy move down with the rest of the group or do several Billys move in?

Second question: How low will they come down? Will they come into the cut blocks or still stick with the drainage and rock bluffs.

Thanks in advance!

birch
11-26-2010, 03:08 PM
No one correct answer to this, but the wisdom that has been passed to me says that:

several billies will likely come down. goats do fight for tail, too.

they will come down into slides, lower cliffs, and yes even cuts. wherever they need to be to get at nannies.

hope that helps.

when you planning on heading out? only open for a few more days?

GoatGuy
11-26-2010, 03:29 PM
where is your draw?

the billies will be moving and with the nannies and kids right now.

Twig-Chaser
11-26-2010, 06:20 PM
Thanks guys! I am heading up on Monday as it is forcasting sun or at minimum no snow!

My draw is from Mica Dam to French Creek area

porcupine
11-26-2010, 08:35 PM
Good luck!

GoatGuy
11-26-2010, 11:42 PM
Thanks guys! I am heading up on Monday as it is forcasting sun or at minimum no snow!

My draw is from Mica Dam to French Creek area

Thought the goldstream was the boundary?

11-27-2010, 12:17 AM
My question is does a single Billy move down with the rest of the group or do several Billys move in?

Second question: How low will they come down? Will they come into the cut blocks or still stick with the drainage and rock bluffs.

Thanks in advance!

Simple answers, goat rut is in late November.

Billy's will move into areas where the nannies are, that may be up, down or sideways, nannies are not always lower than billies, they're usually near or on winter ranges by this time of year. Winter ranges are not always lower than summer ranges. Winter ranges are usually steep terrain where there is poor snow retention, that is sometimes up, sometimes down, sometimes in dire winter weather condition it can even be in high elevation mature fir stands.

The billies will go into whatever terrain they have to in order to join the nanniy groups, nannies and billies will be all together in mixed bands during the rut.