PDA

View Full Version : buck on the hood

buckwild76
11-25-2010, 04:58 PM
Anybody hunt in the chilliwack river valley this morning that drives a blue tracker/sidekick with a beauty buck strapped to the hood, if so congrats!

Jordo
11-25-2010, 06:16 PM
Hahahaha, that would have been awesome to see!

buckwild76
11-25-2010, 06:17 PM
it was one of those rub your eyes, did i really see that deals.

Everett
11-25-2010, 06:34 PM
I remember my little brother bringing his first buck home strapped to the hood of Dads K-car. You used to see this back in NS all the time.

Mr. Dean
11-26-2010, 01:24 AM
Awesome!!!

hunter1947
11-26-2010, 04:01 AM
Now a days you don't do that kind of thing showing off the deer or other dead animals in the open lots of people don't like this.

Back in the old days every hunter did this and people would give you thumbs up ,now a days lots of people will give you the thumbs down.

I was taking my Roosevelt up to my place in Black Creek BC from Victoria it was in the back of my pick up in the open I had 4 people give me the finger the down side..

3kills
11-26-2010, 08:58 AM
i always prop my animal up so everyone can see it when i drive through town. i dont care what people think!

leadpillproductions
11-26-2010, 09:00 AM
If you dont like it dont look

bushpig slayer
11-26-2010, 09:09 AM
i love getting into pg cause you know your in moose land every hunter has a rack tied to there grill gets me pumped before i hit the bush.

Chuck
11-26-2010, 09:26 AM
Now a days you don't do that kind of thing showing off the deer or other dead animals in the open lots of people don't like this.

Back in the old days every hunter did this and people would give you thumbs up ,now a days lots of people will give you the thumbs down.

I was taking my Roosevelt up to my place in Black Creek BC from Victoria it was in the back of my pick up in the open I had 4 people give me the finger the down side..

So what's changed or happened to make people see hunting that way?
I'll be damd if I can figure it out, but sure would like to know.

Old Crow
11-26-2010, 09:34 AM
Strapped to the hood? I stopped doing that when I was 18.

gitnadoix
11-26-2010, 09:57 AM
Hmmm all that engine heat and road grime in the cavity.....makes good eats...:confused:...thats exactly why the daily possesion on the QCI went down to 3 deer for so many years. Dead deer on display in the Ferry line ups caused enough letters to arrive in Victoria, and they cut the possession down to three. Its is now back up to 5.

If you rub peoples faces in it long enough they will eventualy throw a hissy fit, and there are more people that dont hunt than those that do....(read voting public)

If all you have to hunt in is a little vehicle bring a tarp and throw it in the back.....

urbanhermit
11-26-2010, 10:05 AM
Hmmm all that engine heat and road grime in the cavity.....makes good eats...:confused:...thats exactly why the daily possesion on the QCI went down to 3 deer for so many years. Dead deer on display in the Ferry line ups caused enough letters to arrive in Victoria, and they cut the possession down to three. Its is now back up to 5.

If you rub peoples faces in it long enough they will eventualy throw a hissy fit, and there are more people that dont hunt than those that do....(read voting public)

If all you have to hunt in is a little vehicle bring a tarp and throw it in the back.....
so true, i have a small car and they fin in the back. On the up side, on a really hot day if i leave the windows up, the next time i get in it i can relive that hunt!

hunter1947
11-26-2010, 10:19 AM

Its the new generation of people they where not brought up like the old times when lots of parents went out in the bush to get there meat.

Now a days people are in the fast lane and work ,work is on there mind in order to make there payments ,never have much time to get there son or daughter into hunting.

Its a lot to do with changes in what we do these days as well ,back years ago never had computers ,skate boards ,X box games to play with lots of kids are glued to these things ,this is my thoughts on why...

Gateholio
11-26-2010, 10:36 AM

Hunters and gun owners decided they needed to be more "discreet" and started hiding their activities. Which meant that less people were exposed to it, so instead of learning about hunitng by seeing their neighbors with dead deer and guns, they learned about guns and hunting from Hollywood.

In Hollywood, guns are mostly used to kill people, and hunters are often portrayed as blood thirsty rednecks who sometimes hunt humans for "sport"

This is the price hunters paid for hiding away their dirty little secret..

knockturnal
11-26-2010, 11:23 AM
Amen to that Gatehouse. I can't drive around with guns in my gunrack anymore because everyone stopped doing so and now everyone thinks I'm up to bad things when I have a gun in the rack. I'm a proud gun owner and if I feel like displaying my trap gun in my window, I will. And when I get pulled over, I'll hand the cop my registration and a copy if the police firearms regs.

spock
11-26-2010, 11:28 AM
When we came back from out mule deer hunt with two frozen four points wrapped in tarps on the top of the utility trailer we got no less than five thumbs up from cars passing us in the fast lane between Hope and No.3 road. Pretty cool.

xtremearchery
11-26-2010, 11:43 AM
I remember my little brother bringing his first buck home strapped to the hood of Dads K-car. You used to see this back in NS all the time.

Remember that oh so true. Dad and I would drive down the main drag in Lr. Sackville and people would react as if it was a parade.

700bdl
11-26-2010, 11:45 AM
Hunters and gun owners decided they needed to be more "discreet" and started hiding their activities. Which meant that less people were exposed to it, so instead of learning about hunitng by seeing their neighbors with dead deer and guns, they learned about guns and hunting from Hollywood.

In Hollywood, guns are mostly used to kill people, and hunters are often portrayed as blood thirsty rednecks who sometimes hunt humans for "sport"

This is the price hunters paid for hiding away their dirty little secret..

Ditto

Hunters now feel they have to hide this natural, and normal, activity from others who may be offended by it.

I live in a townhouse complex. My girlfriends brother and I unloaded a spike buck we got and hung him in my garage. I left the garage door open while we started skinning it and the girlfriend comes home with her sister, niece, and nephew. Her sister quickly informs us that she doesn't want her kids to see this. "I don't want them traumatized for life", are her exact words. She says this all the while holding a bag of McDonalds Happy Meals.

Ignorance is becoming a little to commonplace in todays society.

Glenny
11-26-2010, 11:52 AM

political correctness!:mad:

len173
11-26-2010, 11:53 AM
We were actually told to avoid this specifically, when I did my CORE.

It's a matter of opinion I guess. I personally wouldn't do it, but I have a tough time understanding somebody who is 'traumatized' by a dead animal, while they pound back their big mac.:-?

wildprotien
11-26-2010, 01:25 PM
I would rather see an animal fully exposed to the public eye any day then having to see two adults driving with kids in the car and smoking.
I have never seen anyone throw a fit and smash the windows out of a car to save a child from second hand smoke...... Just shows us humans might have the bulb screwed in but there isn't always power running to the socket !!!!
Congrats to the guy and his buck.

Van-Isle
11-26-2010, 01:43 PM
When we came back from out mule deer hunt with two frozen four points wrapped in tarps on the top of the utility trailer we got no less than five thumbs up from cars passing us in the fast lane between Hope and No.3 road. Pretty cool.

Im always on the look out on the coquihalla or in the canyon for racks and i bet so are the other hunters that are all over those roads in hunting season. But the reception one gets in victoria is a lot different.

Shooter
11-26-2010, 01:54 PM
A couple weeks ago I heard of a truck coming through CR with 5 bucks strapped to the top of the canopy:-D

Farmer John
11-26-2010, 02:15 PM
Bringing them home in style.

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo352/Husbandjc/GangRanch003.jpg

skeld11
11-26-2010, 03:56 PM
Its the new generation of people they where not brought up like the old times when lots of parents went out in the bush to get there meat.

Now a days people are in the fast lane and work ,work is on there mind in order to make there payments ,never have much time to get there son or daughter into hunting.

Its a lot to do with changes in what we do these days as well ,back years ago never had computers ,skate boards ,X box games to play with lots of kids are glued to these things ,this is my thoughts on why...
i completely agree with this i am 17 and me and 3 buddies hunt out of a big group and their is maybe a few other kids in my high school that hunt out of around 1500 kids. most them live off their parents money and play games all day. half them probably have never been in the bush or gone for hikes. from all the stories i have heard from my parents and others it sure is a different time now days:( sounds alot more fun back in the day :)

Caveman
11-26-2010, 04:01 PM
I remember years ago, coming across a couple bikers coming out of the Jamieson Cr area with a moose strapped over the roof of a VW Beetle. Quite a picture!!

I'd rather not advertise what I was packing in from the bush.

troutseeker
11-27-2010, 12:54 AM
When I lived in Metchosin outside Victoria (patchouli/birkenstock central you know.) I only had a Jetta and would stuff my deer in the trunk. Sometimes it was a tight fit nad I'd have the legs sticking out of both sides, made for some interesting looks, lol.

Last year I was in Quebec city in the fall and a couple of guys paraded their HUGE moose thru town, driving real slow. Everyone there cheered and applauded them. That's why I still like going to Quebec sometimes, they still like the wild meat there...

hunter1947
11-27-2010, 03:12 AM
One thing we HBC members can do to help out with this issue is to try getting young recruitment into the hunting.

I offer my talent to any of the young hunters that would like to try hunting thats all you can do to help young people get into hunting :wink:..

seanps
11-27-2010, 11:16 AM
Ignorance is becoming a little to commonplace in todays society.

Agreed, and your mention of McDonald's really drives home the point.

People nowadays don't see the connection between animals and the food they eat. It's been a slow shift and I hope it's one that changes course soon.

I'm in Vancouver, hardly a hotbed for hunters' pride, but I've seen more friends taking an interest in buying, for example, locally and sustainably raised chicken, beef, etc. The idea of having a 'connection' with the animal -- arguably what we do when we're hunting -- is becoming more and more important.

When you have that connection -- whether it's through hunting or taking pride in buying eggs from chickens that are raised humanely, rather than in cages -- you can look at a deer strapped to a hood and give a thumbs-up, rather than the finger.

I think marketers are to blame, in large part.

I see commercials for chicken/poultry on TV all the time. At no point is there ever an indication that it comes from an actual bird: the emphasis is on having less water in the meat, or lasting longer in the fridge, or something like that. The only graphic is of a chicken breast wrapped in saran, in a Styrofoam container. *That*, for most people, is meat.

I'd rather see a bunch of healthy chickens running around a barnyard. I'd think: Those chickens look great! They would be good eating. (or something like that).

Likewise, nutritionists focus on protein consumption, rather than "meat," when the complex nutritional interplay of whole foods like meat, vegetables, fruit and grains isn't fully understood. Iron tablets are no substitute for a quality steak, nor is a tin of "protein powder."

bsa30-06
11-27-2010, 11:30 AM
I have several pics from some of my dad and grandpa's hunts with animals tied to the hood and roof of the old car.Thats the way it was done back then.

Manglinmike
11-28-2010, 10:13 AM
\\\\\\i remember as a kid my dad and his partners comming home from moose hunting with moose in and on top of his 47 cj2a it allways got us kids reved up. Not something I would do these days thow.

vortex
11-28-2010, 10:37 AM
So after driving with something on the hood for a while, is the side of the animal resting against the hood cooked to medium rare or just rare???

moosinaround
11-28-2010, 11:49 AM
Brett, myself and our third buddy made sure folks could just see the racks of our deer when we came home from the Peace. Wack em and stack em, it was a beautiful site!! Never had a pile of deer in my truck before! Moosin

Benelli FanBoy
11-28-2010, 12:12 PM

Disney

...Last year I was in Quebec city in the fall and a couple of guys paraded their HUGE moose thru town, driving real slow. Everyone there cheered and applauded them. That's why I still like going to Quebec sometimes, they still like the wild meat there...

That makes me want to go and hunt in Quebec

358win
11-28-2010, 06:26 PM
How about displaying the animal and a sign Macdonalds butcher shop delivery?

DGuest
11-28-2010, 06:32 PM
It's funny, in New Brunswick they require you to keep your animals outside of your vehicle, so roof rack or hood for guys not driving a truck. Poaching is a big problem in areas, so concealing your deer is a big no no. Seems to be the opposite here. But then again, there are far fewer hippies and tree huggers on the other coast.

Gateholio
11-28-2010, 06:35 PM
So after driving with something on the hood for a while, is the side of the animal resting against the hood cooked to medium rare or just rare???

That's why I wouldn't recommend it as a good method of transport. Not because it makes ignorant people cringe, but because engine heat and road grime is probably not good meat care.

Phil A. Bowl
11-28-2010, 07:51 PM
SO what has changed......Its the pussifacation of north america .. plane and simple, sucks but i am doing my part to keep it real

ruger#1
11-28-2010, 08:00 PM
I tried to put a deer in the passenger seat. But the seat belt wouldn't fit. And it stunk so bad. It also ripped the upholstery. So for now on they go in the box of the truck.

dudly
12-01-2010, 10:47 AM
Hi
That was my buck. On my friends tracker. We even went through Timmy's like that. 99% of the people gave us a thumbs up and were excited. People in the drive through were getting out and taking pic's. Even the girl in the window at Timmy's took a pic.

laredo318
12-01-2010, 11:09 AM
Hi
That was my buck. On my friends tracker. We even went through Timmy's like that. 99% of the people gave us a thumbs up and were excited. People in the drive through were getting out and taking pic's. Even the girl in the window at Timmy's took a pic.
Congrats...but there HAS TO BE pics!!!!http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

dudly
12-01-2010, 11:40 AM
No. The deer didn't roast on the way home. It was only about 5 miles home and the cavity was clean as well, because we didn't do 100k on the way home. Besides how much heat do some of you think a tracker puts off at minus five? Isn't it always the people sitting at home who criticize? :-D

laredo318
12-01-2010, 11:57 AM
Hey Dudly, you PM'd me, but your settings are such, that I can't respond via PM.
I am not sure how to post pics, but am sure someone that reads this will be able to help. Looking forward to the pics, and hearing the story!!!
Congrats again..not a lot of big critters, that I know of coming out of there.

bigwhiteys
12-01-2010, 12:00 PM
Hi That was my buck. On my friends tracker. We even went through Timmy's like that. 99% of the people gave us a thumbs up and were excited. People in the drive through were getting out and taking pic's. Even the girl in the window at Timmy's took a pic.
Hahahaha.... There you have it! It only took 40 or so posts about this guys buck and he's come out of the woodwork...

You're a famous intraweb buck transporting celebrity!

Carl

Kayte
12-01-2010, 12:23 PM

very true.
my parents don't hunt and never have. no other members of my family hunt, nor do my friends.
I've decided that hunting is something I would like to try, and although my parents have absolutely no interest in it, I'm sure they would be proud if I was successful. Who knows, maybe I'll start a new family tradition :)

12-01-2010, 01:41 PM
very true.
my parents don't hunt and never have. no other members of my family hunt, nor do my friends.
I've decided that hunting is something I would like to try, and although my parents have absolutely no interest in it, I'm sure they would be proud if I was successful. Who knows, maybe I'll start a new family tradition :)

It is rewarding in more ways than you can ever imagine. To start it creates a family bond doing something natural, not plugged in. And outside.

Benelli FanBoy
12-01-2010, 02:24 PM
Hi

Man you got some guts!

Get some pics up please!!!!!!!

dudly
12-02-2010, 10:06 PM
http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n545/1dudly/buck/photo15.jpghttp://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n545/1dudly/buck/4BUCK001.jpgHope this is what you were looking for.

Sauer Hunter
12-02-2010, 10:26 PM
Classic !

landphil
12-02-2010, 10:45 PM
Hope this is what you were looking for.

I'd say so, very nice. No hassles about seatbelts for all the passengers?:mrgreen:

Rusty Shackles
12-02-2010, 10:52 PM
Early in the season when I have the insurance off my truck I take my saturn comuter hunting. only place for the deer in my mind is the hood or roof.

sjo
12-02-2010, 11:05 PM

unfortunately there are far more non hunters in the voting majority than hunters, so when gun laws are made whoever crys the loudest will be heard. so pissing off those who don't aprove albeit rewarding in itself is only negative publicity for pro hunters. skin it and wrap it in a game bag.

sjo
12-02-2010, 11:07 PM
the top statement was suposed to be a quote from a fellow in the same thread early on, not sure why it did'nt appear that way

chinook
12-03-2010, 12:35 AM
very true.

Good for you, welcome to the club. Keep at it and you'll get something that will keep you coming back. If your hard up for someone to get you out there Im sure there a pile of people on here that would gladly get you out and on to your first deer / bear / moose / wolf / goat.....or whatever else you think you might have an interest in. Hell, I will if your in CR.

gutpile
12-03-2010, 01:47 AM
If you rub peoples faces in it long enough they will eventually throw a hissy fit, and there are more people that don't hunt than those that do....(read voting public)

unfortunately there are far more non hunters in the voting majority than hunters, so when gun laws are made whoever cares the loudest will be heard. so pissing off those who don't approve albeit rewarding in itself is only negative publicity for pro hunters. skin it and wrap it in a game bag.
Not true at all, look at the gay issue the gays were in the media all the time and got lots of exposure. what happened, over time people became more accepting of it's called brain washing and that also works with any issue like hunting.
Years ago people consider hunting as a normal activity and now not, so what happen ?

hunter1947
12-03-2010, 04:40 AM
Not true at all, look at the gay issue the gays were in the media all the time and got lots of exposure. what happened, over time people became more accepting of it's called brain washing and that also works with any issue like hunting.
Years ago people consider hunting as a normal activity and now not, so what happen ?

Like I said before the reason for the change is the newer generation they where brought up not to hunt and to do other things..

5 spike
12-03-2010, 05:39 AM
i use to love seeing a big buck strapped to the hood or the roof of a car as a kid.

dudly
12-03-2010, 06:33 AM
Things change. Chilliwack school trustees are calling winter holiday in dec CHRISTMAS this year. Doesn't that just traumatize the hell out of people as well?:confused:

sillybear
12-03-2010, 06:59 AM
Nice Blacktail!!
I remember in the late sixties driving through Penticton with my parents,and seeing a fellow driving with a buck strapped on the back of a honda 90 trail. His rifle was slung over his shoulder. I thought it was pretty neat at the time.

laredo318
12-03-2010, 07:21 AM
AWESOME!!
Nice buck. Thanks for posting!!

mijinkal
12-03-2010, 09:22 AM
haha, those pics put a smile on my face!!
congrats on a beauty!!

12-03-2010, 09:32 AM
Got my vote for pic of the week!!

Kody94
12-03-2010, 09:35 AM
http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n545/1dudly/buck/photo15.jpg
Hope this is what you were looking for.

LOL. Love it!!!!

weatherby_man
12-03-2010, 09:37 AM
Truly classic! Great buck!

skeld11
12-03-2010, 05:56 PM
very true.
Same thing happened with me no one in my family at all hunts but i got two buddies who got me into it and i now go out with them and their dads, this is my second year of hunting and iv shot 3 deer and iv already had some best times n memories hunting. you should for sure get into it, if you like bein out in the bush and gettin your hands dirty then you will love it

bsa30-06
12-03-2010, 05:58 PM
Holy crap that is a nice deer,congrats

nwalter
12-03-2010, 06:17 PM
There is an earthquest program in Vernon. I think they need to change this to more of an outdoor survival program that is just as mandatory as English Math and all that. Use some of the money the school makes off those damn vending machines even if it is only a week long stint make it during spring break or something like that I am sure there are parents that would volunteer to help out with something like that.
This I think will also help people understand that hunting and fishing are critical parts of life and bring them back to their roots, which too many people have forgotten

Rainsford
12-03-2010, 06:26 PM
"Originally Posted by gitnadoix
Hmmm all that engine heat and road grime in the cavity.....makes good eats......thats exactly why the daily possesion on the QCI went down to 3 deer for so many years. Dead deer on display in the Ferry line ups caused enough letters to arrive in Victoria, and they cut the possession down to three. Its is now back up to 5.

If all you have to hunt in is a little vehicle bring a tarp and throw it in the back....."

I also have to agree with this comment. We are definitely out numbered and if we go about rubbing it in people’s faces in a non diplomatic way then people are going to cry about it, and when enough people cry something will be done about it.
If you want people to get into hunting or just not be against it there are much better options than rubbing it in their faces. I for one don’t take it well when someone’s trying to piss me off or rub something in my face, as I am sure most of you feel the same way. I am fairly new to the sport and live in Victoria where you don’t meet a lot of hunters in day to day life. Whenever I mention that I hunt most people give me a dirty look or make some remark. Instead of getting pissed off about it I try and educated them about it saying things like, "Do you have any idea how conventional farms treat there animals? You know how the animals are being treated that you buy from your superstores?." Or get into how there’s no growth hormone crap in there. I don’t think I have ever had one person turn around and complain after that, some even start asking questing and have signed up for hunting courses after.
Bottom line is if you try and rub it in peoples faces there not going to take it well (and I don’t blame them) and we may loss some kind of a privilege in the future because people will b**ch about it. If you want people to change there views on it or at least respect or accept yours try and respect theirs.

Gateholio
12-03-2010, 06:33 PM
Transporting a deer isn't "rubbing someone's nose in it"

Where else are they going to put the deer on the tracker?:confused:

Ferenc
12-03-2010, 06:47 PM
Good job Dudly!!!!!!!! that is one very nice Blacktail!!!!! good for you and your buddy!!!

Rainsford
12-03-2010, 11:34 PM

I never said it had to go in the tracker, as others have mentioned putting a tarp over it would be fine. Obviously it has to be transported but just flat out tying it to the front of the tracker is very blatant. If you at least cover it, it shows you are making an effort not to offend anyone.

Gateholio
12-03-2010, 11:39 PM
I never said it had to go in the tracker, as others have mentioned putting a tarp over it would be fine. Obviously it has to be transported but just flat out tying it to the front of the tracker is very blatant. If you at least cover it, it shows you are making an effort not to offend anyone.

If they are offended by a dead deer, they are offended by hunting, so I don't see any reason to accommodate that type of persons irrational thinking.:wink:

When grocery stores start wrapping their steaks and roasts in tarps, then I might think that hunters need to do similar...:)

wildprotien
12-04-2010, 12:02 AM
Nice Buck !!!! I would have bought you a coffee at Tims if I seen you going through the drive through like that.
You're aware of the motor heat as mentioned and it was a short drive in cold temps so nothing wrong there.
I love Chilliwack, there are still alot of people here that would smile from ear to ear seeing that Tracker "roll'en on down the highway" haha sounded like Jelvis there .... Congrats again .......

Ambush
12-04-2010, 12:06 AM
Great way to bring hunting back out of the closet!!

Keep it public; keep it mainstream.

I'll bet some non-hunters will say "...hey, I remember my Grampa [Dad] doing that when I was a kid. Cool!"

We have nothing to be ashamed of, so why act like it?

gameslayer
12-04-2010, 12:20 AM

I have a buddy who dumped a bull moose on a LEH off the Coq. and used a chain saw winch to host it up in a tree lowered it down through the roof into the Suzuki samurai into the front passenger seat, and had the front legs and head sticking out the roof (rack still attached) they drove through down town Kamloops on the way to the butcher :mrgreen:.

gutpile
12-04-2010, 01:04 AM
I have a buddy who dumped a bull moose on a LEH off the Coq. and used a chain saw winch to host it up in a tree lowered it down through the roof into the Suzuki samurai into the from passenger seat, and had the front legs and head sticking out the roof (rack still attached) they drove through down town Kamloops on the way to the butcher :mrgreen:.
I love it :-D

dudly
12-08-2010, 10:00 AM
The buck dressed at 130 lbs.:-D

Prowler
12-08-2010, 10:32 AM
Wow.. Awesome Blacktail!! Congratulations...
I have a question. were you a member on here allready, or did someone tell you about all the talk of your deer, before you joined?

dudly
12-08-2010, 10:35 AM
Was already a member. Friend at work told me about buck on hood thread when I showed a pic to him with the buck on the hood of the tracker.

dutchie
12-08-2010, 10:58 AM

Hey Dudly!

Congrats on a nice buck!!! And the transport king of the year!

As for what chuck asked, I personally think that it has has a lot to do with the influx of money since 2000. and How the kids of today are being raised becasue of that money that use to be available and the mentality they are stuck in. Why do I say that?

Think about the number of hunters there were 11 years ago... and look at the numbers post recession... the recession hit and people thought more about putting food on the table, figured out that it was a good way to get a vacation, and it was better then going to Mexico and it was alot cheaper too. Numbers of new hunters are up significantly year over year and it keeps growing.

I started hunting at the end of the big real estate boom because work got so busy, i got so stressed and in the bush were there was no cell reception... so on a Vacation that was the only place that I wanted to be, were people could not bug me.

I think that there are too many people that care about what other people think about them, and what they do so they try to fit into the status quo... I know Lawyers, Doctors, lobbyists that will not let anyone know that they hunt becasue of the negative image... instead, I tell everyone I hunt and I educate them about why hunting positive rather then negative.

Mr. Dean and myself were at a pub a little while ago, it was after a evening duck hunt, and we wanted to go and grab some food... Went in in our camo, and this girl comes up and asked us if we were hunters... we both replied yes... and she was shocked.

A few mins later she walked by and she decided that she wanted to know more about it and started to ask questions, so we were talking to her and then said "Hunters are cruel, that is why I do not like them". I asked her what she had for dinner and she told me a Ham and pineapple pizza, so I asked her what the difference between the Pig on her pizza and the duck in my pasta sauce...

She walked away after the conversation seeing that the ham use to be a pig... and the pasta sauce use to be a duck. She came back about 10 mins before we left. She apologized for not seeing the big picture, and calling us cruel.

When someone has a abundance of money, they have the ability to pay someone else to do the dirty work (cooking, cleaning, yard work, putting up Christmas lights etc) they will look down, or judge someone that dosn't do what they do... I am not saying that is everyone, but where I live it is defiantly a LARGE majority.

Dutchie

Ferenc
12-08-2010, 11:51 AM
Dudly,any more pics and what did you you use to get him......how far was the shot.....still hunting for him or was he in the cut looking for some does....just like stories about Blacktails and pics!!!!!!!

Fisher-Dude
12-08-2010, 05:47 PM
I always knew that big winch bumper was on our Cornbinder for a good reason...

Too bad we've been conditioned to hide what we do now. :-|

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e70/Fisher-Dude/0032_.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e70/Fisher-Dude/0057_.jpg

kennyj
12-08-2010, 06:20 PM
Great photos guys, and awesome buck on the tracker.
kenny

killer
12-08-2010, 08:08 PM
That is awsome ,one big set on you.

TIKA 300
12-08-2010, 09:12 PM
1st year of hunting ,seen a jeep thru Mission with a buck skinned on top of said vehicle,driving downtown.

leftfield
12-08-2010, 09:31 PM
FD, those pictures are awesome!

dudly
12-08-2010, 09:40 PM
Dudly,any more pics and what did you you use to get him......how far was the shot.....still hunting for him or was he in the cut looking for some does....just like stories about Blacktails and pics!!!!!!!
http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n545/1dudly/buck/4BUCK0041.jpg

~T-BONE~
12-08-2010, 09:47 PM
Nice! Beauty heavy rack there!! Who's doin the taxi work? Didn't see the tracker parked in its usual location this fall...?!

LYKTOHUNT
12-08-2010, 09:55 PM
When I lived in Metchosin outside Victoria (patchouli/birkenstock central you know.) I only had a Jetta and would stuff my deer in the trunk. Sometimes it was a tight fit nad I'd have the legs sticking out of both sides, made for some interesting looks, lol.

Last year I was in Quebec city in the fall and a couple of guys paraded their HUGE moose thru town, driving real slow. Everyone there cheered and applauded them. That's why I still like going to Quebec sometimes, they still like the wild meat there...
I lived at the corner of Kangaroo Rd and Sooke Rd and had shot a bear up the mountain at the end of Kangaroo Rd and the only vehicle I had at that time that would make it up the old road was a 59 Volkswagen, it sure looked funny driving that old beetle down the road with that bear hanging out both sides of the trunk which of course was at the front of the beetle.

dudly
12-08-2010, 09:55 PM
Nice! Beauty heavy rack there!! Who's doin the taxi work? Didn't see the tracker parked in its usual location this fall...?!
It's my buddies tracker. It was his turn to drive.

sjo
12-09-2010, 10:25 PM

I think the point is in the lower mainland the majority of people do not hunt and are more sympathic to the poor deers life than to the trophy of a proud hunter. Those of us who choose to live amongst the city folk have to remember that the majority get all their meat from a grocer, don't care about the way it got there and probably cant handle the site of blood let alone a dead animal. these people will vote against hunting just because they don't like the idea. Besides hunting is about the meat so best care should be taken. Myself, I skin and quarter the game then wrap it in game bags so it'll cool quickly. So, as taught to me and others in the core, cover your game, show the antlers out of the bag if you need to be noticed, and hell if you really want to piss someone off, cut the head off and tie it to the front grill.

Gateholio
12-09-2010, 11:41 PM
I think the point is in the lower mainland the majority of people do not hunt and are more sympathic to the poor deers life than to the trophy of a proud hunter. Those of us who choose to live amongst the city folk have to remember that the majority get all their meat from a grocer, don't care about the way it got there and probably cant handle the site of blood let alone a dead animal. these people will vote against hunting just because they don't like the idea. Besides hunting is about the meat so best care should be taken. Myself, I skin and quarter the game then wrap it in game bags so it'll cool quickly. So, as taught to me and others in the core, cover your game, show the antlers out of the bag if you need to be noticed, and hell if you really want to piss someone off, cut the head off and tie it to the front grill.

If I lived in the city I'd just transport it whatever way was more convenient for me. I think people should see what meat looks like before it hits the Styrofoam...

Old Crow
12-10-2010, 01:08 AM
I saw a guy in the Yukon last year with a whole moose in his Hyundai, so the idea that a deer won't fit in a Tracker is ridiculous. Like others have said, once you pass Hope heading West you're in NeverneverLand. Never hunted, never killed. Look at population shifts from rural life to city life in the 20th Century, and that explains it all. We're not making any friends giving the Antis fuel, but more importantly, we must be careful not to pi$$ off all the majority of folks in the middle. Just like buying eggs, they don't wanna know. A dead Bambi with its tongue out and blood dripping off the hood is the sort of thing that sways people to the Dark Side.
Let's not help the Antis anymore than we absolutely have to.

Gateholio
12-10-2010, 01:17 AM
Might also inspire some city bound wannabe hunter to take the plunge get involved in hunting. I know that is the effect it had on me when I was a kid growing up in the city and I saw deer on roof racks- Just made me want to hunt more.:-D

sjo
12-10-2010, 07:00 AM
Here you go, gun racks in the back window, guns on antler racks in the house, guns leaning against the wall by the front door, owning any gun that is legally manufactured. All these have changed due to the vote of the bleedin hearts.

sjo
12-10-2010, 07:03 AM
I think most people can see that it's meat once the hide and face are gone.

bowhunterbruce
12-10-2010, 07:33 AM
a few years ago my better half and i took 2 black bears,we had 1 on the front and 1 on the back of the quad, which was then loaded into the back of the truck,for the 2 hr drive home we tied a tarp over it to keep the road dirt and bugs away during the trip.we pull into town and decied to get some fish and chips for dinner and as we pulled into a parking stall rght behind me pulls a work buddy with his 2 boys.well after some idall chit chat i pulled off the tarp to show him and the boys the 2 yogis,after all he was a hunter as well.not 1 minute later a mother and daughter walk by and give us the "thats discusting" as they contiued walking away.2 days later up pulls a c.o.
needless to say after he see's everything is in order with tags etc.and hears our side then goes and talks to both buddy and his boys.his call back was more of a congrats and next time try not to pull the tarp so far back in public.
my how the times have changed huh
bhb

dudly
12-10-2010, 08:30 AM
Holy crap! Nobody even paid attention to my post. Everyone was positive, thumbs up waving coming three cars back at Timmys to say "right on and take a pic. Maybe it wasn't the best way to bring it home but my buddy didn't have a tarp with him. What was I to do leave him there until another hunter came along and watched it for me? Too many of you have been brainwashed into thinking that what you do is bad. "hide what you do and it will be ok". Some of you need to grow some balls. The perception of the public will only get worse by not keeping what we do public. It's become a case of hide your guns, hide you game you legally harvest, hide your pride of legally hunting in case some city sissy see's you and doesn't like it.

Most of these complainers will never change their mind. Tarp or no tarp, "what you do is bad and you should be ashamed of it." Maybe if it wasn't so rare to see a harvested animal in public, like in the states, it would be more accepted. We are working in reverse not forward but some of you don't realize it. The more you cower and hide the more they take away.

I think HBC should get decals made that say. "Hunter and proud of it." I wonder how many of you that are on this thread would put it on your vehicle. I guess some of you could get on that states "ashamed to be a hunter." In case someone doesn't like it that you hunt. There will always be someone that doesn't like what you do no matter how hard you try to convince them that it's ok. Have any of you ever read the act below?

http://www.bclaws.ca/EPLibraries/bclaws_new/document/ID/freeside/00_02079_01#section1

wolverine
12-10-2010, 08:40 AM
It's a hold over from the old days when most families only had one vehicle and it was a car not a truck, especially those that lived in the city. So if the guy was a hunter he didn't have much choice other than putting it in the trunk and that probably isn't the easiest place to load a dead deer especially if you are by yourself. I don't know why anyone that had a choice to load it in the vehicle would not do so. Why screw up a nice piece of meat like that? Personally, I don't care for the "display" of the dead animal on the hood. I have never tried to hide the fact that I am a hunter. It's not about that. It's about respect for the animal and respect for the meat for me. Besides that... I don't necessarily want to advertise where I just took my deer. (guaranteed lot's of guys headed to the Chwk. Valley after reading this thread) About riding around with your guns displayed in the window... I remember when we all used to do it and not think a second thought about it. But the world changed. Shit rats will take out your window now for the change on the consol. If you want to target yourself for having your vehilce either broken into or vandalized there is no better way to accomplish that.

dudly
12-10-2010, 03:53 PM
As far as everyone heading up Chilliwack lake road. Big deal do you honestly think another buck that size will be standing waiting for you if you go there. Hunting is like buying a 6/49 ticket. Sometimes you win most of the time you don't. I don't usually hunt the valley. So it's not even an issue.

.330 Dakota
12-10-2010, 03:55 PM

Geeez Wayne, you must have met some dummies. Who in their right mind would give the finger to a guy that they know has a gun

Gateholio
12-10-2010, 04:16 PM
. The more you cower and hide the more they take away.

]

That sums it up right there.

Not that long ago, homosexuality was illegal in many places.

Now gays are getting married in many places, LEGALLY.

They didn't accomplish this by HIDING.

shallowH2O
12-10-2010, 04:23 PM
Good on you Dudley! I find the complete ecosystem destruction of paved roads and farmland applalling( not grassland, but valley bottoms specifically cleared for farming), no one covers them up. If the eco's want something to bitch about maybe they should take alook at what harm soya bean farms have caused the world

rageous
12-10-2010, 08:23 PM
Chilliwack lake has produced some real nice bucks over the years.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd214/rageous_01/ford004.jpg

hunter1947
12-11-2010, 12:37 AM
That sums it up right there.

Not that long ago, homosexuality was illegal in many places.

Now gays are getting married in many places, LEGALLY.

They didn't accomplish this by HIDING.

This is true when I get my next elk I will put it on top of my roof of the truck put a paper bag over my head when I get out to the hiway :mrgreen:..

buckwild76
12-13-2010, 11:26 PM
Good God Almighty! What a monster this post has become I think I may just sign off for good after reading the nonsense that has risen from a simple question. I used to like this forum because people seemed to be on each others sides and share stories about the one thing we are all so passionate about.HUNTING

Danimal
12-14-2010, 11:24 AM
I would be a first to vote for this to be part of BC law, that would be awesome to see everyone hunting taking pride in their animal by showing it off on top of their vehicle! I don't see it ever happening, but being from Abbotsford I'd drive down south fraser way with my prize on the top for everyone to see while I grin from ear to ear!

It's funny, in New Brunswick they require you to keep your animals outside of your vehicle, so roof rack or hood for guys not driving a truck. Poaching is a big problem in areas, so concealing your deer is a big no no. Seems to be the opposite here. But then again, there are far fewer hippies and tree huggers on the other coast.

knighthunter
12-14-2010, 11:36 AM
This fall I saw a truck pulling a trailor with a quad in it and on the quad were 2 bull moose heads. 1 on the front rack and 1 on the rear. This was westbound on 104th in Surrey. Big bulls too. Looked great. Too bad I was going the opposite way or I woulda took a pic or two.

lineofsight
12-19-2010, 11:08 PM
This is true when I get my next elk I will put it on top of my roof of the truck put a paper bag over my head when I get out to the hiway :mrgreen:..

Put a sign in the rack - "now accepting preorders for leather iPhone cases"

Dudly, beauty of a buck, well done.

dudly
10-13-2011, 09:29 PM
Update on the buck on the hood. My daughter took the horns in to the Boone and Crockett guy at the tradex last spring at the sportsmans show. The buck measured 126 7/8. I got the certificate in the mail last week.