PDA

View Full Version : blacktail rut

buckwild76
11-24-2010, 10:35 PM
Was up in a favourite spot today and saw tons of tracks, a couple fresh rubs and did a buch of can calling and some rattling, but to no avail. I am assuming that the rut is still going strong, but i have been wrong before. Anybody got any opinions on the state of the mythical blacktail rut? One more thing, are they generally more active nocturnally during clear weather opposed to cloudy/foggy type weather? Reason i ask is i have been out 5 days straight and only saw one very dopy acting doe.

chinook
11-24-2010, 11:49 PM
Since its been unusually F'n cold I think they have been deeper in the timber taking advantage of thermal cover as they have depleted a lot of fat resources. Were you in the woods a ways or just on the edge? Here in CR the outflows and NW winds have been brutally cold, my bet is they tried to get relief deeper in the timber on the lee side of the slope.

As for the rut, we're definitely on the waning end of it but there will still be some action to be had. Its like going to the bar and everyone gets a piece of bum but you so you end up at an afterparty and take whats around in the wee hours. There aint much action but atleast there is some. The ones that got some strokin earlier may not want to bother burning up precious energy on whats left so rattling and all that jazz might not work as well as earlier.

Dont give up though, the sun has'nt come up yet!!

hunter1947
11-25-2010, 05:57 AM
Weather does have a big effect on the movement of deer deer tend to move around in the timber then in the open slashes when it is stormy thats what I have found out in the years hunting them.

As for the rut it is at its peak right now and should be lots moving around when weather permits.

buckwild76
11-25-2010, 07:36 AM
thanks fellas, i'm certainly not giving up yet.

Sitkaspruce
11-25-2010, 09:17 AM
Last weeks cold clear full moon nights had an impact on deer sightings and deer movement. They would bed down in the thick stuff and party at night.

Hunting the deep timber will find them bedded and waiting for the evening.

Now witht he storm we now have (-2, blowing snow and 50-70 k winds) will have them hunkered down again in the thick stuff, but now you walk right up on them, as long as you do not get hit by falling trees and debris.......

Good to see are keeping at it, as they will still be hanging around the does and sniffing, trying to find that lone lady who has not got lucky yet.

Cheers

SS