PDA

View Full Version : Elk in Kamloops

orly
11-24-2010, 10:00 PM
I admit I work too much and its been awhile since I've had an oppurtunity to enjoy all the great hunting oppurtunities Kamloops has to offer, but I was very surprised to see elk in this part of the region. I was out looking for a muley buck this morning in 3-27 and seen a heard of 6 or 7 cow elk crossing the road in front of me. Did I miss something in the last year or two that I've been away? Anyone else seen this herd? An elk season in our backyard in the future would be awesome, lets hope they stick around.

dana
11-24-2010, 10:12 PM
Elk have been speading in several areas around Kamloops the last few years. Unless they become a problem, I doubt we'll see any hunting of them anytime in the near future.

M.Dean
11-24-2010, 10:24 PM
You must have been hunting around the old school house? Hopefully every one will leave the herd alone. It would be nice to see them make a come back around here. There should be a real nice bull in there also, I heard a 6x6 and a four point. I've yet to see them my self but talked to lots that have. I remember seeing about 40 or 50 Elk around Scotch Creek years ago.

SR80
11-24-2010, 10:25 PM
Where abouts in 3-27 was this? Ive heard of them being seen around barrier too

Laurence_Erickson
11-24-2010, 10:28 PM
last yr I saw a real nice bull between the school house and your place M.dean .Kinda nice to see forsure .A buddy saw two cows not too far too the east just a couple days ago.

MerrittBow
11-24-2010, 10:35 PM
There is a herd of elk around Douglas lake area to....ive only seen a 5 point and 2 cows, but there is suppose to be up to 30 around there

balian
11-24-2010, 11:11 PM
I know of one herd of about 15, have been here for a few years now. Run into them every time while we were hunting deer this season, and managed to snap some pics at about 50 yards. About 10 cows and calves and 2 bulls one of them 5X5. It was amazing. Too bad I've heard that natives have taken 2 this years. I really hope everyone leaves them alone. I meant to put some pics in my last post so there you go.

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/4052/dsc03572t.jpg

3kills
11-24-2010, 11:23 PM
years ago before they logged it out helmer area had some elk in it. i have only talked to a few people that have seen them or heard them but they were there. i know a few other spots in around merritt that has them too.

swampdonkey
11-25-2010, 09:03 AM
the ones up in the helmer area are still there i know of guys that have seen some this year in 3-19

MuleyMadness
11-25-2010, 04:12 PM
There have been Elk up in 3-27 and in Red Lake areas for nearly 15 years now. While not plentiful, they are definitely there. One of the ranchers, Mr. Puhallo actually shot a big bull about 15 years ago on his ranch on Dairy Road just North of Westsyde too...that you can read about in the court report, but apparently it came down with his herd from the range land to the West of his property...so they are in there too.

4 point
11-25-2010, 05:27 PM
A friend of mine ran into a bunch of cow elk up the Tum Tum this fall north of Adams Lake.

Cyrus
11-25-2010, 05:44 PM
Elk have been seen around the 100 Mile area this year as well...had a friend who had a cow on his property most of the summer.

orly
11-25-2010, 09:33 PM
I was lucky enough to see them at the juction where the Pritchard road meets the East Shuswap road right above Pritchard. They hung around long enough for me to grab a couple pictures. They were heading across the road and up the burn area. I sure hope everyone leaves them alone to make a comeback.

yzchamp
11-25-2010, 09:40 PM
seen em in pritchard just above the store.. that was couple of years a go

Jagermeister
11-25-2010, 09:43 PM
I often wondered what happened to the elk that were transplanted to the Lytton area years ago. I think there was an opening for them for a few years and then there was nothing. There were some reports that they migrated to the Carpenter range area.
This thread drove me to open a book I have, entitled "The Elk of North America" by Olaus J. Murie. Just inside I found a newpaper clipping from the Vancouver Sun dated Dec.31, 1983. The article was written by Moira Farrow and is titled "MINISTER OVERRULES STAFF Elk repopulation rejected".
Basically, it was about an attempt to re-introduce elk into the Chilcotin/Cariboo area, primarily the Gaspard./Churn Creek area. The idea was to trap some EK elk, which numbered at about 20,000 at the time and transport them the the release area. The total cost of this endeavour was to be born by the BCWF. Tony Brummet, Environment Minister rejected the plan because the ranchers in the area brought pressure to bear on Alex Fraser, MLA for the area, to quash the plan.
Funny thing, a few years later, elk started showing up there and in other areas of the Cariboo as well, both sides of the Fraser.
I guess they are slowly making their way back to their traditional areas. Now if we can only keep the aboriginals and the poachers from knocking them off prematurely, we all may enjoy a bountiful elk harvest just out in the back 40.

250 sav
11-25-2010, 10:58 PM
I've seen elk in 3-18,3-19,3-27,3-29 and 3-37 over the last 10 years. I hope they get left alone and continue to populate the area. Saying exactly where you see them gives the a**holes who don't want them around and poachers way to much info. If you want elk around use your head and be carefull of details.

3kills
11-26-2010, 12:08 AM
last year hunting up in quesnal i seen a small heard of elk i knew they were there so it didnt impress me that much but it was pretty cool to see. what impressed me was the big bull in the heard. he was massive i couldnt get a good pic though as i had my crappy camera with me

gutpile
11-26-2010, 01:34 AM
We use to have a small elk heard in the chilliwack lake area i think back in the late 80s. I just about hit a 6 point as i was coming around the corner before the bridge. But i heard the Indians took care of them plus there was also a cold winter.have't seen them since.

Ferenc
11-26-2010, 01:52 AM
I can remember rancher Welland telling me that up in 3-29 in the Stoddart meadows by Gisborne lake of picking up sheds from elk before he would cut his hay in the meadow....they were there long ago already!!

Ferenc
11-26-2010, 01:57 AM
We use to have a small elk heard in the chilliwack lake area i think back in the late 80s. I just about hit a 6 point as i was coming around the corner before the bridge. But i heard the Indians took care of them plus there was also a cold winter.have't seen them since. Your right about that One Horn they shot 4 cow elk....there defence....thought they were deer!!!!

beni
11-26-2010, 08:38 AM
A friend of mine ran into a bunch of cow elk up the Tum Tum this fall north of Adams Lake.

Elk have been in the far side of Tum Tum for years and years. In fact there was a family of draft dodgers (I think DD's), anyways years ago they were poaching the hell out of all of the elk there.

Yes they did get caught, and I believe they are all still in Jail =)

The Elk in Lytton were almost wiped out by the natives there as far as I know. They were being poached left right and center. My friend has been slash burning and working in the bush and has been seeing lots of elk. I doubt it will ever open again, though it would be incredible to get a chance to hunt Elk in my hometown :shock:

curt
11-26-2010, 11:34 AM
3 seasons ago we were driving throught Lytton at about 530-600am there was a beauty heavy beamed 6x6 standing on the side of the hwy with 3 cows i just about crashed looking at them 25+ yrs driving through there never before have i seen them!!!! But its official i have now so there is/was at least 4 elk in Lytton!!:)

BigfishCanada
11-26-2010, 11:57 AM
Last year leaving red lake we came around the corner to a wolf kill, the head looked like a cow elk. My bro and I said couldnt be, must be a cow moose (wolfs picked it clean and crushed to skull) we had assumed it must of been a badly damaged moose but always questioned it. I had a pic on my phone and one of the locals had confirmed he was seeing some elk in the area, I had no idea elk lived there. This was north of Savona, near the huge ranch.

stever
11-27-2010, 11:02 AM
I have seen a couple of big bulls in 3-30 while deer hunting in the last couple of years.

cariboobill
11-27-2010, 02:02 PM
Great post. I have seen them along Meadow Lake road (3-31), the past couple years now. Only a few here and there and during the early summer when all is green and good eating.

cb