PDA

View Full Version : shed hunters?

birch
11-24-2010, 07:33 PM
when does shedding season start? I know they drop at different times, but generally speaking when do you like to get a start to find the whopper sheds?

Rubicon500
11-24-2010, 07:40 PM
July/August is generally the best time. That way every creature in the forest has dropped and its way easier to pick them up

Mark_S
11-24-2010, 07:49 PM
I start in March and April before the rodents chew them up too badly.

bc kid
11-24-2010, 07:53 PM
April May Also Before The Rats Get Them,and I Find It A Bit Easyer When Theres A Little Snow Still Left

GoatGuy
11-24-2010, 07:55 PM
July/August is generally the best time. That way every creature in the forest has dropped and its way easier to pick them up

Hahaha, if there's any left by that point. Some of the hot spots will be well picked over by then by both hunters and rodents.

SHEDHEAD
11-24-2010, 07:59 PM
The earliest I have picked up Sheds was January 1. Depending on the winters, I don't like to enter the wintering zones often. The animals have enough stress at the early part of winter and don't need to be pushed around anymore. But for the best success if its a spot that doesn't get hit early would be the end of March or when the snow starts to patch out. Hope this helps. It's also nice being able to find some old bone when the snow is gone, makes the day a whole lot of fun with a pack full of sheds. If you like, I made a video a bunch of years ago on finding sheds. I'll send you a copy if you PM me your address. Cheers Dude!

Brian011
11-24-2010, 08:05 PM
March, April, may, is my favorite, once the snow is melting and then none of the grass or plants have grown yet so you can spot them easier

Jelvis
11-24-2010, 08:06 PM
End of December is when the biggest bucks start dropping the gear, they started first and drop first, but the snow covers these and then some in January, February and in March the spikes and two points.
End of March is when they start showing above the hair on the pedestal.
The new antler coming in breaks the old antler connection and they drop off like the leafs on trees do in the fall to return again in the Spring a ling.
The connection is broken by the new life behind it, it goes by photo periodism ( use Dictionary of Biology ) some will argue this is all wrong and say no way ho zay. You decide with a search on antler growth in deer.
The biggest bucks have a slower system that's why they drop and grow longer over a period of mystical months dazzling our brains with biological events that boggle and dazzle to a frazzle.
Jel ( Armchair Biologist ) Expert on Antler Growth from start to finish ..
P.S. So much information on this subject very intricate and complex ....
I will leave it alone, you can study on your own ... shalome

dana
11-24-2010, 08:20 PM
I've picked up sheds in pretty much every month of the year. That's the nice thing about sheds. They don't migrate. They don't only come out at first light and last light. And they pretty much stay put all year long and sometimes can stay there for 10 years or more. :)

hunter1947
11-25-2010, 06:24 AM
I like going out as soon as the snow leaves depending what area you live at.
I do head out when there is snow still on the ground in the hi elevations in the month of April..

moose2
11-25-2010, 07:12 AM
I don't think this guy wants you to find any.These months would be the toughest to find them in . Grass is 3 feet high and all the leaves are on. I like to hit areas as soon as the snow starts melting and there are still patches left. This will let you know if anyone has walked or drove the area yet.
MIKE

averagejoe
11-25-2010, 07:43 AM
an old freind of mine used to set up his shed snares in the begining of january on migritary routes he did very well and made alot of money selling shed antlers

MattB
11-25-2010, 08:03 AM
an old freind of mine used to set up his shed snares in the begining of january on migritary routes he did very well and made alot of money selling shed antlers
That shouldn't be legal and could likely harm animals. What if they get tangled in whatever it is he's trying to knock the antlers off with?

huntinnut
11-25-2010, 08:18 AM
The areas I shed hunt have both elk and muleys, so I usually wait until the elk are pretty much done dropping. I like to be there while there's just a bit of snow left in the shade, and before the grass has started comming up. Always watch out for ticks this time of year. I usually find at least a couple on me and my dog.

Mikey Rafiki
11-25-2010, 09:35 AM
There can be a lot of competition. I usually start spotting and scouting a few weeks before they usually drop just to get an idea of where they are hanging out, and sometimes you can get the "drop" on the other pickers out there if they start dropping early.