PDA

View Full Version : Hunting in Caulk boots??

115 or bust
11-24-2010, 07:23 PM
Do any of you hunt wearing caulk boots, I see the odd pic of guy's wearing them for timber hunting usually the orange rubbers and I was thinking of picking up a pair to try out. I'm mostly thinking for when the bush gets slippery and murderous (short subalpine cedars come to mind) and obviously they wouldn't be much good around the bluffs or anything crunchy lol. Just wondered if there was some experience out there in this department and if any brands or styles could be reccomended.

BlacktailStalker
11-24-2010, 07:26 PM
One of my old timer buddys wears them religiously. Wont leave the truck without them and he hunts the bluffs a lot.
Says they make a bit more noise but really, no matter how little noise we make we are already too loud as far as the deer are concerned so w/e.
I'm going to cork a worn pair of meindls for cat hunting.

cavebear
11-24-2010, 07:32 PM
pm sent :-D:-D:-D

115 or bust
11-24-2010, 07:35 PM
[quote=BlacktailStalker;795710]One of my old timer buddys wears them religiously. Wont leave the truck without them and he hunts the bluffs a lot.

My concern for that was when my wife was in school for forestry caulks around bluffs was a huge safety concern as apparently there have been fatalities in the past since the small points are slippery on rock.

BChunter
11-24-2010, 07:46 PM
These boots are awsome for wet forrested hunting where you can avoid walking on rocks. Thats when they will be noisy. Ask anyone who has logged. Like any rubber boots they can get damp inside but provide good support and awsome traction on slopes, logs and roots! One point, new caulks pick up chunks of bark when you least expect it. Walk-em down on a gravel road for a while or asphalt to dull em a little.

kyleklassen
11-24-2010, 07:51 PM
gotta be rubbers in the snow. been logging rock bluffs for 15 years now and i'm not dead. probably some "city folk" would slip and fall. most rock bluffs on west coast have moss so nice and quiet. caulks are noisiest when walking up a road. or on a frozen cedar buckskin.

115 or bust
11-24-2010, 07:56 PM
I hear bama socks inside helps keep the feet dry.

BlacktailStalker
11-24-2010, 08:00 PM
[quote=BlacktailStalker;795710]One of my old timer buddys wears them religiously. Wont leave the truck without them and he hunts the bluffs a lot.

My concern for that was when my wife was in school for forestry caulks around bluffs was a huge safety concern as apparently there have been fatalities in the past since the small points are slippery on rock.

Ever seen a smooth rock on the Island (aside from in a river) ?
Me neither.
This guy has shot more deer than you and I put together over our lifetimes and packed them out all whole as a 'backpack" and he's still here!
The one thing he did say is never wear rubber rain gear in the snow because IF you do take a spill, there is NO slowing down. Watched his buddy launch off a bluff on the lone, fortunately grabbed a root 20' down while his rifle went the extra 80'.

kyleklassen
11-24-2010, 08:00 PM
just keep movin' and have a change of sox waitin' at the truck.

weathermag
11-24-2010, 09:09 PM
I've used my viberg corks for hunting in the slash and timber for years. They really stick, the only problem is sometimes a whole piece of bark skins off a log and you go with it.

JCVD
11-24-2010, 09:11 PM
Plain rubber boots get me the most out of still hunting action.

dmace
11-24-2010, 09:21 PM
Get a boot shop to make you a set of "sneaks" I have seen a few different types but they are basically a set of oversized flip flops with straps over the toe area and a strap up over the ankle area.Bottoms can be rubber or leather. They allow you to walk quietly over the gravel road and you can keep your boots on in the truck with out chewing up the floor.

Pete
11-24-2010, 09:45 PM
Have a friend who had the just 4 add to the in step of each his boots. Swears by them.

J_T
11-24-2010, 09:51 PM
I did it for a few years. It was totally the way to go. Only reason I don't know is I don't have a pair of corks. Really great when you're packing a heavy load.

Big7
11-24-2010, 10:16 PM
Are you road hunting? No? Then wear whatever feels right. "Black Tusk" which is a Viking product makes a good caulk boot...rubber bottom, leather upper.....good in the bush but stay off any gravel road or trail cuz the noise won't help. Watch your footing on slippery rock...you will end up at the bottom with caulk boots! My suggestion for "hunting" is a pair of "muck boots"....keeps you dry while providing a stable platorm for hiking!!!

3kills
11-24-2010, 11:33 PM
i was lookin at pictures on a guys facebook today and he was sheep hunting and wearin rubber boots. some one made a comment about the boots and he said its all he will wear hunting bama socks in rubber boots.

JCVD
11-24-2010, 11:35 PM
i was lookin at pictures on a guys facebook today and he was sheep hunting and wearin rubber boots. some one made a comment about the boots and he said its all he will wear hunting bama socks in rubber boots.

Hmm I usually wear wool inside, I wonder if there are bama socks(which do look comfy) with a wool and not a cotton exterior?

ufishifish2
11-25-2010, 12:19 AM
I wear caulk boots with bama's every day for work until I have to start wearing snowshoes. I also wear them hunting, except when I am hunting rocky areas in situations like goat or sheep hunting.
I don't find them dangerous on the rocks, and in creeks they are actually safer on those slippery rocks. Just don't step on the smooth ones......
Champ Logger Caulks are crap and all wear out quite quickly as well as start out too sharp. Champ makes a different type of caulks you can put into your boots called "Cermak" or something like that. They start out a bit duller, but remain fairly sharp for much longer due to the hardened point on the end. One note is that rocky ground will ruin them quickly!!!
The main problem hunting with caulks IMO is that Caulks are noisy on rocks and roads!!!!

nitro hunter
11-25-2010, 12:48 AM
Go to www.hoffmanboots.com I got a pair of their merrell cool mid hiker caulks,I like em cause they have no heel like loggers do.

Schutzen
11-25-2010, 01:23 PM
I used them for years here on the Island. I quickly found out about the Bama sockettes and stuck with that combo.
Our local shoemaker used to convert leather hunting type boots into semi corks. Not sure if he still does that tho.