PDA

View Full Version : Please Release Me

The Hermit
11-24-2010, 06:35 PM
Okay, so I picked up a Limbsaver Dealership and received the first of the two demo bows I've ordered. Unfortunately the goodies haven't arrived yet but it dawned on me that I haven't got a clue about releases! Limbsaver doesn't make one, which I think a little odd, but whatever... what do you guys recommend.

I have previously owned, used, and loved the Caliber 44... it has two claws to hold the loop, was SUPER smooth and never failed or had a premature release (most of you guys have experienced that before I'm sure). ;-)

Is there anything better out there? What do you think about the single hook jobs like the Fletcher "Fletchook". I'd be afraid of loosing the arrow while trying to draw...

Thanks

Bill

Ambush
11-24-2010, 07:29 PM
Single open hook for me. Loads fast and easier to get on the loop with out looking.
Currently using a Tru-Ball, Short'n Sweet and a Scott Silverhorn. Both are trigger forward designs. After a number of releases, I only use buckles straps now. I find the velrco straps take a "set" and it's hard to move them just a little.

I also much prefer the nylon connector straps [NCS] to attach the head to the wrist strap.

saddlemaker
11-24-2010, 07:32 PM
carter releases ... the best , I use the Quickie 2 and also a " just b cuz"
http://www.carterenterprises.com/products/likemike.htm

Deer Sausage
11-24-2010, 08:26 PM
carter releases ... the best , I use the Quickie 2 and also a " just b cuz"
http://www.carterenterprises.com/products/likemike.htm

im definately not an expert im brand new! but i can take directions from experts and i did that... getting a carter "backstrap" backtension release. its a nice release! i had a bit of trouble getting used to that style of release but it helped my shooting in the end. it has very fine and reliable tension setting for the release part..... i guess this is an X2.

Vader
11-24-2010, 08:54 PM
Short n sweet.. buckle and a velcro.. awsome releases.. quick to grab the loop and easy to set trigger weight.

Bowzone_Mikey
11-24-2010, 09:34 PM
Depends on what you want .... a Carter "Like Mike" is probally the best release for hunting and target duty ever made.... Co designed with Micheal Braden ... argueably the best 3d Archer walking the planet right now, the Just b-cuz is a great lil handheld designed by Dave Cousins ....one of the best paper punchers ever .... That said I shoot with a Target 3 and a "hunter" Both hand helds .... the T-3 was the predecesor to the Just b-cuz and was designed by Dave Cousins as well ... the Hunter is Carters first go at an open jaw handheld ... and its awesome .... in fact I own 2 of them,
I also like Tru-fire Judge, Scotts Short n sweet and Mongoose, Cobras Green Mamba (designed by Carter) .... Go to a shoot ... and talk to people as to what they use .... most every person will shoot something differant so its a great place to try stuff out .... as most in my expiriance will let you at least hold their releases

The Hermit
11-24-2010, 10:01 PM
Buckle or Velcro?

The Hermit
11-24-2010, 10:14 PM
WOW BowZoner... The cheapest I could find the LikeMike was on bay at $148 US!! Eyes Pop! Is it really that much better than the 44 Caliper? Wow

Bow Walker
11-25-2010, 10:39 AM
I'm a big fan of the Jim Fletcher releases. I've owned and used five different ones throughout the years. My go-to release is the Fletchook. I agree 95% with Ambush...I just happen to prefer the velcro-style wrist straps over the buckle ones.

The single hook design is very easy to attach to the d-loop (not recommended for off the string) even at those times when you don't want to take your eyes off the prize for a second. You can do it blindfolded.

The trigger forward designs of today's releases is a great feature for getting back some of that "lost" draw length due to the d-loop. Makes everything nice and tight.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Fletcher_Fletch_Hook_1.jpg

There are many different manufacturers out there who now produce a single hook release specifically designed for d-loops. I prefer shooting with a d-loop as it saves a whole bunch of wear and tear on the string serving.

I'm not a fan of the caliper releases, though. Too much chance for an unintended self face-punch IMO. Yes, it has happened to me and is probably the basis for my dislike.

The Hermit
11-25-2010, 02:39 PM
I'm a big fan of the Jim Fletcher releases. I've owned and used five different ones throughout the years. My go-to release is the Fletchook. I agree 95% with Ambush...I just happen to prefer the velcro-style wrist straps over the buckle ones.

The single hook design is very easy to attach to the d-loop (not recommended for off the string) even at those times when you don't want to take your eyes off the prize for a second. You can do it blindfolded.

The trigger forward designs of today's releases is a great feature for getting back some of that "lost" draw length due to the d-loop. Makes everything nice and tight.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Fletcher_Fletch_Hook_1.jpg

There are many different manufacturers out there who now produce a single hook release specifically designed for d-loops. I prefer shooting with a d-loop as it saves a whole bunch of wear and tear on the string serving.

I'm not a fan of the caliper releases, though. Too much chance for an unintended self face-punch IMO. Yes, it has happened to me and is probably the basis for my dislike.

Okay I don't get it, must be missing something... it seems to me that the single hook would slip off way easier than a caliper style that enclosed the d-loop entirely. What stops the single hook from slipping off? The one I tried at IOF yesterday twisted and slipped off twice just trying to see how it worked... didn't even try drawing it.

Kody94
11-25-2010, 02:46 PM
I currently use a Fletcher Flathead and really like it.

I have used a TruBall caliper style release in the past and like it too.

I think what Bow Walker is referring to is the potential for a loop to slip through the "crack" on a caliper if it gets weaker or wears excessively from use??

Onesock
11-25-2010, 02:52 PM
I can envision you have a problem with any type of release Hermit! I don't think they suit you.

Eagle1
11-25-2010, 09:46 PM
I use a Tru Ball "copperhead" buckle works great
What happened to the stick an twine, finally come over to the "DARK SIDE" { right side}
If you twisted the "hook" style release an it came off, you were proably hanging on to the release head an twisting it for it to come off. I use a Carter "oneshot" hook style for 3-D and it has never come off. If you use it right, at full draw let your release hand relaxe off the head an just let the strap take the weight, you can twist you wrist an the release will not come off, I've done it cause I was unsure about the hook when it first came out {Carter Rhino} the release never came off the loop. Hook style release's are not made to be used directly on the string, they must have a loop.

Bow Walker
11-26-2010, 11:35 AM
I currently use a Fletcher Flathead and really like it.

I have used a TruBall caliper style release in the past and like it too.

I think what Bow Walker is referring to is the potential for a loop to slip through the "crack" on a caliper if it gets weaker or wears excessively from use??
Yup. That's what I was meaning. Looks like a weak spot in the design (to me), but thousands of other people can't be all wrong can they?

Okay I don't get it, must be missing something... it seems to me that the single hook would slip off way easier than a caliper style that enclosed the d-loop entirely. What stops the single hook from slipping off? The one I tried at IOF yesterday twisted and slipped off twice just trying to see how it worked... didn't even try drawing it.
Like Sampson says, let the wrist strap take the load, just keep your trigger finger behind the trigger as you come to full draw. No accidental releases that way.

Bowzone_Mikey
11-27-2010, 10:46 AM
First off .... Yes they are that much better than a .44 ... think of the 44 as an old school milsurplus rifle factory trigger .... think of the Carter as a custom Timney

Seconly ... with the open jaw design the way you draw the bow will not allow it to slip off ... (think drawing with your index finger) its hard to describe .... A thumb release isnt actually released properly by moving your thumb ...its actually released by relaxing the rest of your hand once again .. its tough to tell you through type ... a live demo will make you see the light

danfloris
12-01-2010, 11:17 PM
i would check out scott archery little goose. i really like mine havent changed in years just bought a new one keepen my old one for a backup

wolverine
12-02-2010, 08:39 AM
I shoot a Tru-Ball as well and love it.

The Hermit
12-03-2010, 05:19 PM
Well I needed something immediately so I bought a 44 Caliper again. I will look to try a hook release in time and might make the switch later.

OneSock - since I'm a dealer for Limbsaver wheeliecamcomplex bows I figured I better have one to work with and demo... really I'm being a sneaky covert operative... get people into archery with crossbows and they will eventually get a compound and ultimately they will see the light and evolve to a stick and string and shoot fingers! ;-) Got all the bases covered now...

Maximus Crossbows (shich btw are improved AGAIN in 2011 with many parts now manufactured and assembled in Canada).

Limbsaver Bows and the entire line of SIM products for rifles, paintball, and archery.

Empress Mountain Longbows - custom works of functional art!