PDA

View Full Version : Questions on Euro Mount

7mmWSM
11-24-2010, 02:18 PM
I have a beauty 5x5 elk that I am euro mounting. Skull is very clean, but with a little yellow discoloration.

I tried my peroxide bath with the 3% stuff from the pharmacy store, left it to soak for 3 hours and had NO whitening whatsoever.

I have read all of the posts about degreasing and bleach vs. peroxide....

Do I need to degrease the skull? Is this why the peroxide is not working? If so can I do it in a cold soap bath?

Anyone else done a 3% peroxide bath with better results? Or know of where to get the more powerful stuff in the Lower Mainland. How bad is the bleach?

Gotta get this thing up on the wall in time for Christmas stockings!

Thanks for the feedback.

tristanmac
11-24-2010, 02:21 PM
I've tried using bleach and it turned the skull more of a yellow then white. Im also having the same problem with the peroxide.

bighornbob
11-24-2010, 02:28 PM
The 3% stuff you buy at drug stores will take forever to whiten. Go to a beauty supply shop and see whjat they have they should have some way stronger stuff. I also read here that a pool supply store should also have some stronger stuff.

If you can find 20% peroxide, mix that with stuff called basic white (its a powder found at beauty supply shops). Mix to a consistency of tooth paste and brush on your skull. Then wrap the skull in syran wrap and place under a lamp. The syran keeps it from drying out too fast.

In a few day, unwrap your skull and rinse off. You will have avery white skull.

BHB

KB90
11-24-2010, 02:29 PM
The only way you will get professional bright white, is with strong peroxide. I don't think 3% will ever work. With that being said I have no idea where you can get it.

Perhaps ask a taxidermist. There are a couple on this forum.

partner
11-24-2010, 02:35 PM
Any hydroponics or grow store carry the good stuff!

fester
11-24-2010, 03:11 PM
I used boraxo and scrubbing and got a skull quite white

4ptbuck
11-24-2010, 03:40 PM
yeah, need to use the stonger peroxide.
The first aid stuff won't cut it.
Try in the beauty section of the drug store. It's what they use to bleach hair with.

Mr. Dean
11-24-2010, 05:58 PM
It sounds to me that this is grease/fat. Give 'er a bath in a strong mix of dish soap for several days.

mud-dog27
11-24-2010, 06:03 PM
the mixture bighornbob (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/member.php?u=1285) mentioned sounds like what you get when you order the professional kits off like cabelas which i have heard work really good

Buckmeister
11-24-2010, 11:33 PM
My wife bought a big bottle of food grade (or is it kitchen grade?) peroxide 35% a number of years ago. I think she got it from a drug store. I hear that you can't get it that strong anymore. When I use it, I place the rack in the sink and cover the skull with a layer or two of paper towel. Then I carefully (so as to only soak the paper) pour the peroxide over the paper towel and let it sit over night. In the morning I give it a rinse and the skull is nice and white. If you find the strong stuff, be really carefull with it and don't get any on your skin or clothing, it will instantly turn your skin white for several hours and will tingle like stinging nettle. Wear some gloves instead.

sherpa-Al
11-24-2010, 11:38 PM
Degreasing the skull is a must if you want your mount to look good and stay white for a very long time. Degreasing is usually done in a warm water/soap bath and can take quite a while. The quick way would be to SIMMER not boil the skull with a cup of Arm and Hammer laundry booster in the water. This will release a lot of the oils in the bone. When you are satisfied with the degreasing, whiten as previously mentioned and you should have a nice looking mount.