PDA

View Full Version : Pulled Camp Yesterday..

hunter1947
11-24-2010, 03:56 AM
I had enough of this crap weather in my hunting area ,I pulled camp yesterday it took me most of the day had big problems :icon_frow.

It all started off with the tie downs the inserts that go into the other 4 on the truck where filled with mud the frozen mud was like rock when I was chipping away at it ..

It took me two hours to get the frozen mud out of the square tubbing in order to get the others to go inside them http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon8.gif.

I am not used to this weather or the mud as for days on freezing temperatures day and night.

I learned from this year what to expect for next years outing in the bush.
The next thing that happened was when I started to try jacking up the camper the hydraulic jacks they would not work the oil was to cold http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon9.gif.

I had to take them all off and put them in my truck for 2 hours to warm up truck heater was going full blast at this time.

I got freezer burnt toes as for the end of my fingers my fingers and toes are still hurting a little today :icon_frow.

I had gloves on but I guess they where not good enough for this temperature ,I also had two pair of socks on as well but thought it was just my feet and fingers getting cold I new something was wrong when I rubbed my finger ends they had no feeling in them and felt like they where rock.

I took my boots off in the warm truck as for my gloves and holy crap when the warm hit my hands and feet I could not stand the pain so I jumped out side and rubbed snow on the feet and hand felt better I did this for about 20 min ,in and out of the truck.

After about 30 min the tingling in my toes and fingers hurt ,there are 80% better this morning.

Next year if it is as cold I will know what to expects and will catch this before it happens ,better boots as for gloves.

Living on the island all my life I was not used to the weather up here ,I have experienced weather like this before when hunting but never had to work out in it for long period of time .

When I was working outside on the problem things it was -18c I did not want to stay another night in this camper in these conditions it was -14 in the camper at 2am I had to get up and turn the heater that I turned on attached to a propane bottle to warm it up with the shit furnace I had going as for the propane heater after 30 min it only got up to +6c.

After I turned off the heaters it got back down cold really fast ,it was a good thing I had a good sleeping bag as for another one to put over me ,I had a good tuque on my head as well I was warm in my sleeping bag.

One other problem I had was on the morning of the 23 I went to start my truck up and it turned over very slowly until it would not turn no more.

Just one more thing to add to my problems I slipped in the back of my truck fell and hurt my left shoulder..

I had a booster battery pack behind the seat I used it to put on my battery and this started the truck with a few unexpected noises in the motor as for it was so cold.

I will be putting in a litter grade oil it has 10-30 in it right now I will be putting in 5-30 soon.

I have a block heater that was on the truck when I got it I will plug the block heater in today and see if it works.

I have a very nice WT buck rubbing a tree out at 360 yards that I filmed on my last days outing first thing in the morning before going back to camp ,I will post this up latter today.

I have provin to myself that If I did not shoot the WT doe earlier on this year I could have gotten a decent WT deer ,next year can't wait I won't make the same mistake as I did this year when it comes to filling my deer tags ,it will be one WT buck as for a mule deer buck in region 4.

I guess I have did enough blabbing about my adventure what I went trough ,o ya it is -25 at my home this morning 3am http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif.

At my hunting camp this was the temperature for the hi..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8R76XeRSfI

BCBRAD
11-24-2010, 06:46 AM
A good canvas tent ( wall or specialty) with a wood stove in there would change your whole out look on the weather.

jonz
11-24-2010, 07:06 AM
That sounds brutal. I would be doing day trip hunts in those conditions, too cold (and dangerous) staying out there alone.

hunter1947
11-24-2010, 07:19 AM
A good canvas tent ( wall or specialty) with a wood stove in there would change your whole out look on the weather.

Very true you are I might get a 14x14 wall tent next year ,I know how comfortable it is to stay in one done it many times ,love the wall tents.

Camper is ok for early fall next year I won't be caught staying in a camper after the end of Oct..

Fisher-Dude
11-24-2010, 07:27 AM
Wayne, you can still shoot a WT buck after you shot your WT doe.

CanuckShooter
11-24-2010, 07:28 AM
Having a small generator is a good idea in the colder temps also...you can use it to recharge batteries...or warm up your block heater before starting your cold truck [saving engine damage].

http://www.boatownersworld.ca/dickinsonmarine/cozy_cabin_heater.htm

One of these [check link] in your camper could be left on 24/7 and keep your nest nice and warm....

sawmill
11-24-2010, 07:41 AM
He already tagged a mulie buck as well,2 deer limit here.

Good thing you got out when you did buddy,- 28 right now.Ain`t winter grand!

Vader
11-24-2010, 07:47 AM
Only requirement is a vent through the roof..
I would stick with the wall tent.. Keep buying mugs and maybe you'll be this years tent winner..
Was over last weekend.. wicked cold.. snow up to the jewels. Loved it! Welcome to Kootenay weather '47.

BiG Boar
11-24-2010, 07:50 AM
I pulled camp the other day also. -15 for too long makes for a lot of propane used. What kind of heater have you got in your camper? Sounds cold. You know its bad when you cant even sit and glass for 20 minutes because its so damn cold. Need to get some electric socks and some really warm mitts.

Fisher-Dude
11-24-2010, 07:53 AM
He already tagged a mulie buck as well,2 deer limit here.

Good thing you got out when you did buddy,- 28 right now.Ain`t winter grand!

Ah, never heard about the muley! Belated congrats Wayne!

BiG Boar
11-24-2010, 08:01 AM
BTW what were you hunting for in that frozen barren wasteland?

Sundance1972
11-24-2010, 08:03 AM
Kinda feel silly bitching about -8 and snow in Duncan after reading that!!

hunter1947
11-24-2010, 08:19 AM
BTW what were you hunting for in that frozen barren wasteland?

Proving to my self that I can call in WT deer as for filming them ,just got to cold out there for me or I wouls still be out there where I love to be :wink:..

hunter1947
11-24-2010, 08:21 AM

No I can't Pat reson being is I shot a mule deer in the same region it being region 4..

hunter1947
11-24-2010, 08:23 AM
Having a small generator is a good idea in the colder temps also...you can use it to recharge batteries...or warm up your block heater before starting your cold truck [saving engine damage].

http://www.boatownersworld.ca/dickinsonmarine/cozy_cabin_heater.htm

One of these [check link] in your camper could be left on 24/7 and keep your nest nice and warm....

Yes you are correct I will be getting a generator 3500 watt fore next year ,I have a new 55 hundred watt generator but is to big to take into the bush..

ratherbefishin
11-24-2010, 08:23 AM
if a man was smart[and had the money] he would spend the summer and fall HERE , then head on down to New Zealand just in time to catch the summer and fall THERE.....and the bonus-NO LEH, sell your excess game in the market[legally]and hunt until you drop....pigs, red deer, fallow deer,even white tail in some places and NO GRIZZLIES to scare the cr*p out of you

hunter1947
11-24-2010, 08:27 AM
if a man was smart[and had the money] he would spend the summer and fall HERE , then head on down to New Zealand just in time to catch the summer and fall THERE.....and the bonus-NO LEH, sell your excess game in the market[legally]and hunt until you drop....pigs, red deer, fallow deer,even white tail in some places and NO GRIZZLIES to scare the cr*p out of you

Correct I have a good friend that has been coming into my hunting camp for two years now ,he is on the HBC site ,I might be able to go stay down there for 4 months ,LOL..

BiG Boar
11-24-2010, 08:32 AM
get one of these things wayne, they are reliable and only sip gas and do most things around camp. Best of all they are dirt cheap. 950W will run all kinds of things. Not too loud either with an extension cord.
http://coldwatertractors.com/images/950w_generator003.jpg

hunter1947
11-24-2010, 08:38 AM
get one of these things wayne, they are reliable and only sip gas and do most things around camp. Best of all they are dirt cheap. 950W will run all kinds of things. Not too loud either with an extension cord.
http://coldwatertractors.com/images/950w_generator003.jpg
Sounds good where did you buy it ???.

hunter1947
11-24-2010, 08:42 AM
-25 here right now glad I pulled my camp yesterday ,I just found out something else about this cold ,I went out to my truck to plug in the cord to the block heater ,in the mean time I opened up my door to get my reading glasses I put them in my mouth and the froze to my tong now I got a burnt tong http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon8.gif..

Everett
11-24-2010, 08:52 AM
It always amuses me when people from the coast/city come to the mountains in winter. It always amazes me that more don't die. Wife and I were camping on the weekend and are headed out again this weekend. This is the first year we have even had a heater. I got friends that will be tenting in weather like this. You should try -40 thats a real treat.
You need to rethink your gear and realize you are probably in over your head with you present set up. If you want to learn to survive the cold pay attention to what the ski tourers are using most hunting inspired gear is crap.
Glad to hear you survived those camper tie downs can be a bitch. Boiling water helps a lot so does winshield washer antifreeze and the big secret propane torch. Been there done that.

11-24-2010, 09:00 AM
Wayne, when your feet get that cold. and you are heating them back up, keep your boots on. that will allow them to heat up slow enough that you won't get all of that pain. you can loosen the laces a bit as well but keep your boots on.

J_T
11-24-2010, 09:06 AM
I'll be heading out next week to set camp up. Will leave it up until about the 20th. Last 2 years was minus 30. Deer have to move and eat in that temp. Best time to find them.

hunter1947
11-24-2010, 09:36 AM
It always amuses me when people from the coast/city come to the mountains in winter. It always amazes me that more don't die. Wife and I were camping on the weekend and are headed out again this weekend. This is the first year we have even had a heater. I got friends that will be tenting in weather like this. You should try -40 thats a real treat.
You need to rethink your gear and realize you are probably in over your head with you present set up. If you want to learn to survive the cold pay attention to what the ski tourers are using most hunting inspired gear is crap.
Glad to hear you survived those camper tie downs can be a bitch. Boiling water helps a lot so does winshield washer antifreeze and the big secret propane torch. Been there done that.

Ya Everett its called a learning experience I am used the the hi seas off the west coast of Vancouver Island when I troll fished for 14 years ,you learn things about what to do and not to do and I learned lots of things when the weather turned on me ,won't catch me with my pants down next year and I will make sure my camper is out after the elk season is over then wall tent will be put up Nov 7th for the WT season with a stack of wood beside the tent...

Next year I will tape the ends cloused so mud won't get in the hold downs before I head out in the bush for the fall after I take the camper off :wink:.

rocksteady
11-24-2010, 09:37 AM
-in the mean time I opened up my door to get my reading glasses I put them in my mouth and the froze to my tong now I got a burnt tong http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon8.gif..

Sorry to laugh here Wayne, but that's hilarious !!!!!

Being as experienced and wise as you are, then you learn something new like that... I learned it when I was about 5 or 6...NEVER stick your tongue to the monkey bars when its -20 at the playground !!!!!

Gateholio
11-24-2010, 09:51 AM
Rubbing snow on frost bite is a bad idea...

Gun Dog
11-24-2010, 09:58 AM
A few years ago -- when it was -20C -- my dog stood IN the fire warm up. Not much hair on her stomach anyway.

My ski clothing does a good job keeping me warm and like others said, you really need a generator to keep batteries charged and to power a hair dryer to thaw stuff.

11-24-2010, 10:00 AM
Sounds like a steep learning curve you're experiencing there Wayne. You need to get a set of skiing gloves/mitts, a good set of felt lined Sorrels or high-tech thinsulate lined boots, and remember to take the liners out every night to dry them out. Don't take chances like that with frostbite, you can lose finger tips and toes if you let it go too far, dangerous stuff my friend.

You should whip out next week and visit J_T in his camp and observe his cold weather gear, I'll guarantee it's much different than Sept or Oct camping gear. Always put blocks of 2x10s or 2x8s down on the ground to set your camper jacks on and stop using your grey and fresh water camper tanks as soon as it gets cold.

Check the antifreeze strength in your truck, check the block heater with an ohmmeter every fall, normal winter prep in the EK. I never switch oil grades, just keep vehicles plugged in all the time, sub-zero start-ups without being plugged in causes severe wear on engine components.

And don't worry, by spring you will be acclimatized to all the cold weather do's and don'ts and you'll be well prepared for next year.

PS: Check the heat tapes on the water lines under your mobile home and make sure the skirting is sealed up.

One of my best ever investments was a set of insulated coveralls for working outside during these Kootenay winters - Work Warehouse...

And don't feel bad, most of us drylanders would be totally unprepared if we found ourselves on the high seas of the west coast.

Jelvis
11-24-2010, 10:10 AM
Wayne's World .. with hunter1947 ... what an experience eh.
Those animals stay out there all year and sleep in the snow bro. lol ..
Jel ( Animal House ) Next season brah .. Big Bull Elk Monster ..
Merry Christmas Wiener .. Jelly

308Lover
11-24-2010, 10:32 AM
Welcome to a normal day in P.G. Wayne. Yep, the generator is the way to go. Plugged my truck into a generator and it fired up,easily at minus 35 after only 45 minutes on the plug.
Although you lose some mobility, a tent camp (even a tent inside a tent as they do in the Yukon sometimes) with a dynamite wood stove can be comfortable. From what I've read of your daily life, adding wood in the night would be easy for a man who'se up half the time anyway.LOL
PIM our New Zealand friend and we'll check out his hunting trailer--summer coming on down there too. Have a good Christmas there in the frozen, white mainland.

hunter1947
11-24-2010, 10:37 AM
Sounds like a steep learning curve you're experiencing there Wayne. You need to get a set of skiing gloves/mitts, a good set of felt lined Sorrels or high-tech thinsulate lined boots, and remember to take the liners out every night to dry them out. Don't take chances like that with frostbite, you can lose finger tips and toes if you let it go too far, dangerous stuff my friend.

You should whip out next week and visit J_T in his camp and observe his cold weather gear, I'll guarantee it's much different than Sept or Oct camping gear. Always put blocks of 2x10s or 2x8s down on the ground to set your camper jacks on and stop using your grey and fresh water camper tanks as soon as it gets cold.

Check the antifreeze strength in your truck, check the block heater with an ohmmeter every fall, normal winter prep in the EK. I never switch oil grades, just keep vehicles plugged in all the time, sub-zero start-ups without being plugged in causes severe wear on engine components.

And don't worry, by spring you will be acclimatized to all the cold weather do's and don'ts and you'll be well prepared for next year.

PS: Check the heat tapes on the water lines under your mobile home and make sure the skirting is sealed up.

One of my best ever investments was a set of insulated coveralls for working outside during these Kootenay winters - Work Warehouse...

And don't feel bad, most of us drylanders would be totally unprepared if we found ourselves on the high seas of the west coast.

Andy a few things I did right as you know I am an ex race car mechanic and I did check my antifreeze it is good for -40 as for the camper jacks where sitting on 4x8 blocks and I did drain all the lines before the cold set in.

I was a plumber for 22 years and I did check my water lines under my modular home this summer ,the main service coming had heat tape wrapped around with an outer lare of insulation all was good.

Someone did a shitty job on DWV and I ripped it all out and did it right then covered with lots of insulation.

I am no dummy and I learned this year after elk season is over to be prepare for the cold ,this is my first year in a place that will get cold and I learn fast believe you me..

Being an island boy all my life and never spending any amount of time in the cold county wakes a persons mind up real fast ,LOL http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif.

BlacktailStalker
11-24-2010, 10:37 AM
[quote=CanuckShooter;795250]Having a small generator is a good idea in the colder temps also...you can use it to recharge batteries...or warm up your block heater before starting your cold truck [saving engine damage].
quote]

Yup Wayner you need a generator for your block heater, just fire it up when you get up in the a.m and your truck will fire right up when you're ready to head out.
I plug my truck in year round at home.

hunter1947
11-24-2010, 10:39 AM

Being as experienced and wise as you are, then you learn something new like that... I learned it when I was about 5 or 6...NEVER stick your tongue to the monkey bars when its -20 at the playground !!!!!

Mike I know that you are not to do this I guess my mind was somewhere else its called a Seniors moment ,LOL :mrgreen:..

11-24-2010, 10:47 AM
Andy a few things I did right as you know I am an ex race car mechanic and I did check my antifreeze it is good for -40 as for the camper jacks where sitting on 4x8 blocks and I did drain all the lines before the cold set in.

I was a plumber for 22 years and I did check my water lines under my modular home this summer ,the main service coming had heat tape wrapped around with an outer lare of insulation all was good.

Someone did a shitty job on DWV and I ripped it all out and did it right then covered with lots of insulation.

I am no dummy and I learned this year after elk season is over to be prepare for the cold ,this is my first year in a place that will get cold and I learn fast believe you me..

Being an island boy all my life and never spending any amount of time in the cold county wakes a persons mind up real fast ,LOL http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif.

Sorry Wayne, should have known you would be ontop of things. Just thought I'd provide a reminder of some things I've noted westcoasters moving to the interior often overlook.

weatherby_man
11-24-2010, 10:51 AM
Good to hear you got 'er all out Wayne. Its always kind of sad to pack up camp even when its freezing out eh?? Good luck tweaking those things that need it for next year, I am sure next year will be even better for you out there!

hunter1947
11-24-2010, 11:00 AM
Sorry Wayne, should have known you would be ontop of things. Just thought I'd provide a reminder of some things I've noted westcoasters moving to the interior often overlook.

Yes Andy there are a few good pointers that you said ,one of them being the insulated coverals and the boots.

I have a set of $300.00+ dollare boots but there made for summer ,maybe you can segest to me what kind to pick up for next year.

I have a pair of snowmobile gloves that are good for -40 temp but when you got to work with nuts and bolts wrenches it hard to keep them on as you know.

Thats what did a number on my fingers not keeping the gloves on http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon11.gif..

pete_k
11-24-2010, 11:04 AM
You're hard core Wayne.
Like you say. Next year should be easier.

rocksteady
11-24-2010, 11:13 AM
I have a set of $300.00+ dollare boots but there made for summer ,maybe you can segest to me what kind to pick up for next year...

The key for warm feet is sweat management...

It does not matter how good your boots are, if you walk for 20 minutes and then sit, your feet sweat and then will get cold....I always wear 2 pairs of socks...Thin cotton ones with a pair of polarpaws. The cotton ones wick the sweat away from my feet into the polarpaws (fleece) ....Worst thing to do is put your boots on and drive in a heated truck for an hour, then get out and hunt...Wear runners or something else, tehn put your boots on when you get out....

Anotehr thing that I have tried, with some success, during ice fishing season is I put antipersperant on my feet after a shower, then some foot powder...Keeps the feet from sweating too much....

Good boots with good liners that are DRY, are the key to warm toes...And don't tie them up too tight either, need circulation to stay warm....

Everett
11-24-2010, 11:18 AM
Tried the tape thing a couple years ago pulled the tape off and it was pack solid with brown ice not sure how it managed that. Now I grease them up good seems to keep the ice away. That and everytime I wash the truck I blow them out than throw more grease in if I think I will be putting the camper on anytime soon.
Put some lock de-icer in your locks now saves them freezing up later. I usualy throw some gas line antifreeze in this time of year as well. Putt a down coat or a -20 sleeping bag behind your seat in the truck if you are playing away from the main roads. I go with the 5/30 weight as well seems fords don't like the heavy oil when it gets cold.

11-24-2010, 11:32 AM
,maybe you can segest to me what kind to pick up for next year..

You'll need them this year Wayne, winter is just getting started, lots of snowplowing etc ahead of us. Any decent quality felt pac boot with leather uppers (I hate nylon uppers) and grip soles is what you need, I've always preferred Sorel's but I don't know how good the new ones are now that they're not made in Canada any longer. Get an extra pair of liners because one pair will be on the register drying out pretty much all winter. Need to change the liners every day if you use the boots daily, when the liners get wet they're useless. For me, Sorels are my standard every day winter boot. Also I often used a set of fleece gaters over the boots when hunting, keeps any snow infiltation out and they're nice and quiet in the brush. Nylon or canvas gaters are too noisy for hunting, even if you're not in the brush they rub together when walking and make a heck of a noise.

Onesock
11-24-2010, 11:33 AM
Actually cotton socks will freeze your feet.Go to a light pair of wool socks for the first layer. Get yourself a pair of Sorrel Glacier boots for the minus 20/30 crap. We sit tree stands in the late whitetail season at minus 20 for 3-4 hours at a time. No cold feet.

hunter1947
11-24-2010, 12:10 PM
Actually cotton socks will freeze your feet.Go to a light pair of wool socks for the first layer. Get yourself a pair of Sorrel Glacier boots for the minus 20/30 crap. We sit tree stands in the late whitetail season at minus 20 for 3-4 hours at a time. No cold feet.

sounds good will look for the boots..

hunter1947
11-24-2010, 12:14 PM
You'll need them this year Wayne, winter is just getting started, lots of snowplowing etc ahead of us. Any decent quality felt pac boot with leather uppers (I hate nylon uppers) and grip soles is what you need, I've always preferred Sorel's but I don't know how good the new ones are now that they're not made in Canada any longer. Get an extra pair of liners because one pair will be on the register drying out pretty much all winter. Need to change the liners every day if you use the boots daily, when the liners get wet they're useless. For me, Sorels are my standard every day winter boot. Also I often used a set of fleece gaters over the boots when hunting, keeps any snow infiltation out and they're nice and quiet in the brush. Nylon or canvas gaters are too noisy for hunting, even if you're not in the brush they rub together when walking and make a heck of a noise.

Sounds good Andy wll look into these liners and boots..

J_T
11-24-2010, 12:36 PM
sounds good will look for the boots..Marks Workwear $100

rocksteady
11-24-2010, 05:20 PM
They are also trying to sell socks at Workwearworld that are impreganted with copper, aledgedly helps to keep your feet warm...$10 a pair, I tried them and did not see a big difference...

noahs ark
11-24-2010, 05:34 PM
You should try putting diesel or form release on your tiedowns the ice doesnt stand a chance.

LYKTOHUNT
11-24-2010, 05:40 PM
Ya Everett its called a learning experience I am used the the hi seas off the west coast of Vancouver Island when I troll fished for 14 years ,you learn things about what to do and not to do and I learned lots of things when the weather turned on me ,won't catch me with my pants down next year and I will make sure my camper is out after the elk season is over then wall tent will be put up Nov 7th for the WT season with a stack of wood beside the tent...

Next year I will tape the ends cloused so mud won't get in the hold downs before I head out in the bush for the fall after I take the camper off :wink:.
I see part of the problem , I dont recommend having your pants down in -25

Everett
11-24-2010, 06:03 PM

Oh crap I near spilled my beer:-D

A comment on cotton. Never wear cotton next to your skin this is survival 101 cotton does not wick it soaks out and has no insulation value when wet. Cotton does not belong in the bush period.

horshur
11-24-2010, 06:08 PM
Wayne a tiger torch and a length of chimney pipe with an elbow is real slick for warming the oil pan.....a pan and briquettes will work in a pinch....even a small propane BBQ or a Coleman stove set underneath on low but keep a watch on it. They used to drain the oil and heat it in the morning on the stove .lots of ways to skin a cat.

Jagermeister
11-24-2010, 06:24 PM
Speaking of boots. I have an older pair of these. I have used them ice-fishing in the Cariboo and never had a problem with cold feet. I also always used merlin wool socks like the ones that Head used to make, but the Kirkland brand are good too.
Anyhow, the boots; http://www.danner.com/boots/elk-ridgetm-gtxr-9-600g-hunting-boots.html
The 400g would probably be good too.

BCrams
11-24-2010, 06:49 PM
Wayne,

These boots are pretty darned good! Good earlier on too for warm feet and I would personally get a set like this and the arctic ones!

http://www.schnees.com/product/2100/schnees-insulated-pac-boots

BimmerBob
11-24-2010, 07:13 PM
Wow Wayne, sounds like a lot of things could have gone better but at least you made it out with everything nearly intact. I sure like your candor to share what you discovered and am sure there are a lot of others on this site that will learn from your experience.

BTW, the best shoes I have ever used in extreme cold weather are Indian Moccasins that I got from a lady in Iskut. I used them for ice fishing in and around Dease Lake when it was -40 out and my feet stayed toasty warm all day.

They make them with Moose hide around the foot and canvas uppers with a long moose hide thong to tie them closed and they are made to take a nice wool boot liner. It is like you are walking around in your slippers, they are IMHO the best boots for cold and snow. I will take a picture of a pair and put it up later.

http://d3ywpg.bay.livefilestore.com/y1phTEJ-87mJhjl9vEUP2Xy5cEd419zQOX8-KTIXK_opVTyRzgin2eBh44JrxxRkRJSgo4-aXWEA2-Nzk0YFNHsgRx2Rpq6I6Xx/Winter%20Mocassins%20R.jpg

Thanks again for sharing your hunting and camp experience!

Salty
11-24-2010, 07:57 PM

Oh man. LOL That reminds me of little Dougy whatsizname back in grade 2 that was showing off and climbing a frame over a gate in the chain link fence at our school's soccer field during a cold snap in Prince George. He did a couple chin ups and then stuck his tounge out and touched the bar! Poor little bugger finally dropped, crying real bad but he was OK after several days. There was a little pink bit of skin stuck up there till break up :mrgreen:

hunter1947
11-25-2010, 05:36 AM
Wayne,

These boots are pretty darned good! Good earlier on too for warm feet and I would personally get a set like this and the arctic ones!

http://www.schnees.com/product/2100/schnees-insulated-pac-boots

Thanks BCrams I am taking all input into my old mind logging it up and copying all links and will decide what would be the cheapest as for the best ,thanks for your advice and the link http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif..

hunter1947
11-25-2010, 05:46 AM
Wayne a tiger torch and a length of chimney pipe with an elbow is real slick for warming the oil pan.....a pan and briquettes will work in a pinch....even a small propane BBQ or a Coleman stove set underneath on low but keep a watch on it. They used to drain the oil and heat it in the morning on the stove .lots of ways to skin a cat.

I have block heater in my 351 small block engine it works great what I will have for next year is a small 3500 what generator I will keep with me then I can plug in the block heater..

I never been up here in Cranbrook for a late WT hunt always headed back to the coast after the 10th of Oct.

Like I said I learned a lot this Nov and one thing I learned is to make sure I take the camper out after elk season is over ,then come back in around the 7th of Nov and set up with a wall tent and wood stove generator etc...

hunter1947
11-25-2010, 05:49 AM

LOL http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif,then tell me how you do it when it is -25c or lower LOL ,do you drop your pants and do it in the tent ,LOL :lol:..

horshur
11-25-2010, 09:23 AM
I have block heater in my 351 small block engine it works great what I will have for next year is a small 3500 what generator I will keep with me then I can plug in the block heater..

I never been up here in Cranbrook for a late WT hunt always headed back to the coast after the 10th of Oct.

Like I said I learned a lot this Nov and one thing I learned is to make sure I take the camper out after elk season is over ,then come back in around the 7th of Nov and set up with a wall tent and wood stove generator etc...

wayne...if the generator quits or won't start??? It is good to know more info than needed than less...murphy is nothing but predictable.

pearljam
11-25-2010, 09:34 AM
Thanks for sharing, You should put together a season end picture slide show!

pearljam
11-25-2010, 09:38 AM
Wow Wayne, sounds like a lot of things could have gone better but at least you made it out with everything nearly intact. I sure like your candor to share what you discovered and am sure there are a lot of others on this site that will learn from your experience.

BTW, the best shoes I have ever used in extreme cold weather are Indian Moccasins that I got from a lady in Iskut. I used them for ice fishing in and around Dease Lake when it was -40 out and my feet stayed toasty warm all day.

They make them with Moose hide around the foot and canvas uppers with a long moose hide thong to tie them closed and they are made to take a nice wool boot liner. It is like you are walking around in your slippers, they are IMHO the best boots for cold and snow. I will take a picture of a pair and put it up later.

http://d3ywpg.bay.livefilestore.com/y1phTEJ-87mJhjl9vEUP2Xy5cEd419zQOX8-KTIXK_opVTyRzgin2eBh44JrxxRkRJSgo4-aXWEA2-Nzk0YFNHsgRx2Rpq6I6Xx/Winter%20Mocassins%20R.jpg

Thanks again for sharing your hunting and camp experience!

The reason these things work so well is because they allow your feet to breath. All this rubber and waterproof cloth we use dont allow the moisture to excape causing our feet to get moist and cold.....

LYKTOHUNT
11-25-2010, 07:57 PM
LOL http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif,then tell me how you do it when it is -25c or lower LOL ,do you drop your pants and do it in the tent ,LOL :lol:..
Just funnin ya, I enjoyed the saga it is not everyone who would post some of there adventures or misadventures I am sure we can all learn from it.
I would suggest as others have said to forgo the camper or trailer in the cold stuff and go with a wall tent and a big old barrel heater, its warm and cosey and you can actually get stuff dry

Glassman
11-25-2010, 11:07 PM
Get boots that have at least 1200 grams of thinsulate. Goretex in the boots also make them breathe. Prepare to spend around $200.
If it says that the boots are rated for -40, that really means -20.
Get "expedition" grade underwear, not those thin little cotton stanleys. Same goes for an undershirt.
Goretex outer layer to make sure no wind gets thru and have fleece under that.
Obvious is also a toque.

hunter1947
11-26-2010, 04:27 AM
Just funnin ya, I enjoyed the saga it is not everyone who would post some of there adventures or misadventures I am sure we can all learn from it.
I would suggest as others have said to forgo the camper or trailer in the cold stuff and go with a wall tent and a big old barrel heater, its warm and cosey and you can actually get stuff dry

I have stayed in a wall tent many of years I know they are the best thing to stay in problem is that I never had one myself always stayed in my hunting partners wall tent ,I have got a hold of the Hermit and he is going to help me out on a wall tent for next year.

Man was I a little mad http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon8.gif yesterday I tried taking the camper off and the same thing happened the darn jacks would not work had to stand there with my heater on a 20 pound bottle till I got some warmth into the oil good thing the bottle was almost empty.

I learned a lessen not to have the camper on the truck after the end of elk season when you live in a place that gets cold like Cranbrook.

This is the heater I have had for 6 years now I had this inside the camper when I was in there with the cold snap turned it on for short periods of time in order to get the chill out of the camper ,had an extra one filled out side as well..

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/PB260019.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=21335&size=big&cat=500)

hunter1947
11-26-2010, 04:47 AM
You should try putting diesel or form release on your tiedowns the ice doesnt stand a chance.

Like I said in an earlier post on this thread I won't have the camper in the bush ever again after elk season has finished ,thanks for you thoughts http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif..

CanuckShooter
11-26-2010, 06:57 AM
I used the camper in November for years, never had a problem with the hydraulic jacks not working when unloading after being out in -25c.....I would guess your oil is too thick....drain it out and re-fill with ATF.

CanuckShooter
11-26-2010, 07:09 AM
More cold weather tips...buy a balaclava it can save you when your out and those cold winds start blowing.....and pack some cheap shades for when the sun is shining on the snow...a couple of hand warmers, the type you can buy at homehardware that burn charcoal sticks inside a little felt covered burner are pretty handy for warming up hands and feet...:-D

hunter1947
11-26-2010, 08:32 AM
I used the camper in November for years, never had a problem with the hydraulic jacks not working when unloading after being out in -25c.....I would guess your oil is too thick....drain it out and re-fill with ATF.

Good point you have there..

hunter1947
11-26-2010, 08:34 AM
Is it normal to have blisters on your fingers after you have been bitten from frost bit ???.

Reeves
11-26-2010, 09:08 AM
Is it normal to have blisters on your fingers after you have been bitten from frost bit ???.

Yes.
Read earlier that you rubbed your hands in snow. Not good.
When you rub your hands it causes the frozen cells to burst & cause more problems. (been a while since I took my WMT course, so I'll re-read it and get back to you)

sawmill
11-26-2010, 09:30 AM
Man you must have got them good.I know all about that,spent 2 months in Burnaby Gen when I froze mine.I came within an eye lash of losing 8 fingers.The blisters ran from my fingernails(which I lost,along with all the skin)to hand,pretty gross.

NEVER rub any body part in snow.

Tanya
11-26-2010, 09:34 AM

Youch!!! Maybe you should consider getting those checked out.

Kody94
11-26-2010, 09:48 AM

Yep. You should go see your doctor if they are of any size. They may want to give you an anti-biotic to make sure they don't get infected. I've frozen the tips of most of my fingers in the past...not fun!

Fisher-Dude
11-26-2010, 09:49 AM

Wayne you should go down to the clinic and have that looked at. Be really careful of infection too.

ETA - Esther, get outta my head!

hunter1947
11-26-2010, 10:25 AM
There not that bad just a few fingers that have small blisters on them will keep an eye on them..

hunter1947
11-26-2010, 10:30 AM
Regarding oil in hi-Jacker camper jacks I just came from the RV place on the main strip I told him about the problem I had with the camper jacks ..

He said they won't work when it is very cold outside I said would a lighter different oil help he said hi-jacker recommends to use the proper oil for there jacks no others ???.

Salty
11-26-2010, 10:38 AM
Wayne get some polysporin - or however the hell you spell it, lol from the pharmacy. Keep your pinkys clean and apply this goop several times a day. It will keep infection at bay and help heal quicker. If anything changes go to the doc.

The other bad news, speaking from experience here is your fingers will probably be more sensitive to cold now. I froze my toes pretty bad when I was a kid and they complain to this day if I don't have my feet toasty.

I know the frustration of trying to do something with gloves on in the cold. Sucks. When its real cold think layers even for your paws. Thin high tech thin gloves, or silk. Then wool gloves. Then leather mits. If you have to get some bolts started you can do it with the thin gloves and quickly get the rest back on. Good luck with it. ..

hunter1947
11-26-2010, 11:30 AM
Thanks very much to all the members advise on things I have to do when its real cold outside :-D..

sparkymacker
11-26-2010, 12:31 PM
Thanks very much to all the members advise on things I have to do when its real cold outside :-D..

I think the best advice is to stay inside with a bottle of Rye Wayne.:mrgreen:

hunter1947
11-26-2010, 12:39 PM
I think the best advice is to stay inside with a bottle of Rye Wayne.:mrgreen:

Thats my favorite drink and you know I think your right :mrgreen:..

Jelvis
12-24-2010, 06:30 PM
Man o man too cold for a jelly do nut would freeze, lol I just think your going into the whole deason, I ment season lol, not just the beginning when it's fair weather?
Jelly Bean .. Hunter your more of a man then most any and put these wannabe weekend warriors to shame.

Bear Chaser
12-24-2010, 10:51 PM
This thread should be required reading for all hunters south of PG looking to put in for LEH Bison & Elk draws in the Peace region. Lots of lessons can be learned even by an experienced outdoorsman.
Everything takes longer and is much harder when the temp dips to -20 C. At -30 C you can count on double the problems of -20. At -40 well even the locals who've lived here their entire lives hate working outside in that.

hunter1947
12-25-2010, 04:13 AM
I am a fast learner I won't let the cold hurt me again lesson learned this late fall when the temperature plumed to -22.. everything will be in place for next falls late hunting.
Wall tent ,lots of wood cut and stacked ,generator ,cords for my block heater and oil pan heater ,4 chains for all around the tires.

I have the radio phone in my truck from this year as for a spot tracking locater ,I need lots of good winter gear boots ,gloves ,hat etc I will be prepared believe you me ,things like this don't get me two times in a row I learned a lessen 6 months in the bush next year I will be ready http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon6.gif..

My skin on all my fingers have finally fell off from the blisters 4 days ago and a few of my toes are still black and blue and the black on my toes are getting less every week..
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/PC250031.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=21911)

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/PC2500361.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=21913)

blackbart
12-25-2010, 11:42 PM
Wayne, buy some light weight wool gloves and keep them on when working with steel. Your mobility will still be good and I won't have to look at pictures of blisterd fingers in the future. Steel on flesh in sub -20C is not a good idea.

Some other tips for you, in no particular order:
- Don't wear cotton
- Keep the beer off the ground, but close to the wood stove
- Skin your game as soon as it is dead, Do not let it freeze prior to skinning.
- Get yourself a piss jug so as to avoid leaving the wall tent in the middle of the night - at least 1.5 litre capacity is recommended. An empty peanut jar works well (large opening helps when it is dark, cold and drunk out)
- Even at minus thirty the interior is likely warmer than your ex-wives house's!!

hunter1947
12-26-2010, 03:53 AM
Wayne, buy some light weight wool gloves and keep them on when working with steel. Your mobility will still be good and I won't have to look at pictures of blisterd fingers in the future. Steel on flesh in sub -20C is not a good idea.

Some other tips for you, in no particular order:
- Don't wear cotton
- Keep the beer off the ground, but close to the wood stove
- Skin your game as soon as it is dead, Do not let it freeze prior to skinning.
- Get yourself a piss jug so as to avoid leaving the wall tent in the middle of the night - at least 1.5 litre capacity is recommended. An empty peanut jar works well (large opening helps when it is dark, cold and drunk out)
- Even at minus thirty the interior is likely warmer than your ex-wives house's!!

Some good advice about the wool gloves will take your advice on this ..

I always have taken a pee jug into my camper or tent to use during the nights.
LOL I don't drink beer so I don't have to worry about that I am a whisky drinker so no probes on the hard stuff freezing.

When getting socks do I get 100% wool or can they be 80% wool 20% cotton.???.

About the ex-wives you nailed the nail dead center on this ,LOL.

Gateholio
12-26-2010, 03:56 AM
You should go see a Doctor regardless. You are covered by MSP. Just go.

hunter1947
12-26-2010, 04:01 AM
You should go see a Doctor regardless. You are covered by MSP. Just go.

Thanks for your avice Clark I think I will do just what you said I am covered ,I have BCM and Manulife coverage..

Gateholio
12-26-2010, 04:20 AM
Good, don't be scared to use your tax dollars!:-D

steve62
12-26-2010, 12:30 PM
Two pairs of socks I wear Alpaca socks next to my skin then a pair of polar paw they are some kind of fleece. Alpaca socks are way warmer then wool and they also wick the water away from you feet. I have my Alpaca socks made for me, use 60% Alpaca 20% wool 20% nylon pure Alpaca does not wear well.

elkdom
12-26-2010, 12:41 PM
looks like you have removed all your "Finger Prints",,,:?

you should be able to get away with anything,,,:wink: