PDA

View Full Version : lost hound skagit

Barracuda
11-24-2010, 12:24 AM
one of our hounds (the wifes hound Lucy)didnt make it back in after catting today in the skagit ( the spur road
first left after the 27 km mark).

very strange as she is normally easy to get in in the cold.

She has a tracking collar and a tritronics on with our numbers on her (as well as chipped and tatooed).
Her signal is pretty bouncy and her tree switch is going on occassionally and she appears to be moveing which we consider a good thing but she wont come out of the woods. We had several hours in the thick bush in the dark with the receiver trying to get a line on her but she is moveing but staying in the same general area..

I will be heading back out in a few hours .
I should be set up there in the am and will be looking for her.

if anyone comes across her let us know or put a note on my (truck tan ford flat deck)

Thanks
Kyle & Leah

vortex hunter
11-24-2010, 12:35 AM
sry to hear that Kyle are you out looking around on your dirtbike ?

Barracuda
11-24-2010, 12:51 AM
we were in the tracker and on foot .
im heading back in my truck . Its way to cold

Mr. Dean
11-24-2010, 01:46 AM
sonofa...
Hope you get her.

digger dogger
11-24-2010, 07:19 AM
Hey Kyle, if she hasn't come to your truck by this morn try too see if you are around cliffs. A friend of mines dog got trapped on a sheer wall and would not come down.
I had to climb up and throw the dog off(into the snow)
She may be hung up in a spot, she can't exit!!
Good luck. Dave

blackwater moose
11-24-2010, 08:25 AM
good luck on finding your hound

Spokerider
11-24-2010, 02:24 PM
Signal bounce SUCKS. Are you certain that you are looking in the correct spot? I`ve had signal bounce that was a stronger signal than the correct locating signal, and about 180 deg off too!

As you already know.......get up high and triangulate that signal.

Failing that, she is hung-up, trapped, still treed, or injured.

BlacktailStalker
11-24-2010, 03:20 PM
Best of luck Kyle.
This is where the Astro pays for itself in one situation.

maouser
11-24-2010, 03:23 PM
Good luck hope u get her

Kudu
11-24-2010, 04:10 PM
Hope you find her Kyle, I can help just give me a shout.

lorneparker1
11-24-2010, 04:41 PM
Good luck! Hope everything turns out.

huntinnewbie
11-24-2010, 07:09 PM
Any luck finding this hound yet. it's awful cold outside right now. Hope she is OK. Can't stop thinking about her, especially at night. Hope she is found soon and that someone is actively searching for her.

Barracuda
11-24-2010, 10:17 PM
no luck yet .
the signal bounce is terrible in there but i have always maneged to work through it . I got in before daybreak and stayed till dark. I set up a camp for her and some food ,shelter ,bedding , and i urinated all around the camp . .

there a number of old growth nooks and crannies that she could curl up in in logs and such in there if she had to.

my yagi got destroyed halfway through the day so i had to switch to signal strength and shielding the signal with an omni and trying to do every trick in the book plus a ton of leg work . .

i have it down to where i can manually offset the frequency and have the attenuater on also and i am getting a good signal . (normally withing a 150 foot radius) but i couldnt find her and she didnt respond to any of the usual things.

tommorrow i have sort out a new antenna and friday i will be back at it.

she has food shelter and bedding if she does come out and i put up a few lost adds on the BB around in hope.

vortex hunter
11-24-2010, 11:10 PM
Hope you find her Kyle thats crazy that she is not even lookin for you or the wife ....Nick still have your jacked up ford 4x4 that we pulled the rock with....

BimmerBob
11-25-2010, 04:42 PM
Damn! I hope you find her Kyle, will be thinking of little else until I hear. I would offer to help but with my bum knee it would not make for much help, if you need company let me know...

Good luck, Bob

Spy
11-25-2010, 06:53 PM
Any luck today?I hope you found her! Let us know we are all wishing for the best.

bsa30-06
11-25-2010, 06:54 PM
good luck kyle, hope she turns up soon for you.

Barracuda
11-26-2010, 08:10 PM
GOOD NEWS!!

All the encouragement and well wishes worked their magic:-D

We went up with the new antenna today and after much searching and working out the signal we found our tired ,cold and hungry hound today :-D:-D.

The signal bounce is nasty in that valley and the valleys have valleys and the frozen stream doesnt help it seems. Its a perfect place to screw signals.

She was stuck up the side of the mountain a long ways up right above where i left off to the section of frozen stream that was giving the stongest signal.

At one point it didnt make much sense as it seemed that she might have been been up a tree cause it came from so high up but it was the mountain behind the trees. (nasty climb)

As we got closer Lucy encouraged us with her howls and we were shouting back the whole way to her.

we just got in so all of us are exhausted and a little punchy but happy.

There are cats in there but I think i will stick to calling for them in there from now on.

Sleep Robber
11-26-2010, 08:13 PM
Excellent news, can't imagine losing my dog, I'm very happy for you:-D:-D:-D

Farmer
11-26-2010, 08:14 PM
That is great news. You can all sleep easier tonight.

huntinnewbie
11-26-2010, 08:18 PM
That's wonderful news!! Tonight when I snuggle in my bed nice and warm I can rest assured that Lucy is doing the same.
You just made my day:-D
Thank you for having the where with all to find your girl. Give Lucy a hug from me.
Ya, I've had a few glasses of wine tonight and I am sitting here with my lab at my feet, but dang, they are such a part of our family and our lives that I couldn't imagine having one lost in the woods for so long.
I'm so happy:mrgreen:

375 ultramag
11-26-2010, 08:51 PM
Glad to hear the GREAT news.......

lip_ripper00
11-26-2010, 08:57 PM
Good to hear Kyle, I was getting a little worried:cool:

BlacktailStalker
11-26-2010, 08:58 PM
Good to hear.

BimmerBob
11-26-2010, 09:57 PM
Excellent news Kyle, sure am relieved to hear that! Super sleuths you both are!

bsa30-06
11-26-2010, 10:17 PM
Glad she's home Kyle.

BCLongshot
11-26-2010, 10:26 PM
if I can ??????????? No snow I mean. I'll boot up as far as possible on my new KLR 650 Sunday morning.

lorneparker1
11-26-2010, 10:27 PM
Thats awesome Kyle. very happy for you and your fam!

maouser
11-26-2010, 10:40 PM
Good to hear

Spokerider
11-26-2010, 10:53 PM
Good on you for sticking with the search!

Blktail
11-26-2010, 10:58 PM
Glad you found your pup! Sleep well.

Spy
11-26-2010, 10:59 PM
Good news !:-D:-D:-D
I am glad to hear she is safe!:-D

Rub
11-26-2010, 11:17 PM
glad to hear she is safe

digger dogger
11-27-2010, 07:50 AM
Hey Kyle I was up there yesterday, i didnt see any fresh dog tracks.
i was wondering if she was still there. When i got home i read that you and ur woman found her, COOL.
Dave.

sparkes3
11-27-2010, 10:59 AM
glad she is home

Mr. Dean
11-27-2010, 12:50 PM
UberKewl. :smile:

Kudu
11-27-2010, 01:22 PM
great news, good on you for finding her.

longrifle
11-27-2010, 01:56 PM
Good to hear!

Anyone know how far you can drive up that valley still with a 4wd truck? Thanks

rifle

Barracuda
11-27-2010, 02:08 PM
it really warmed up yesterday so the roads were clearing and melting really well so you should have no problems with a 4x4 today.

ruger#1
11-27-2010, 02:19 PM
Glad you got her Cuda. Yes the roads are sure clearing up here. Yesterday we had to walk up the mountain, Today we drove.

digger dogger
11-27-2010, 02:26 PM
Good to hear!

Anyone know how far you can drive up that valley still with a 4wd truck? Thanks

rifle

To the border, no chains needed!

IronNoggin
11-27-2010, 03:53 PM
GOOD NEWS!!

DAMN Happy to hear that!
Lost one of mine up the hill here for 10 bloody days. Was right Freaked, but never gave up on him. When I did eventually find him, he was so weak I had to carry him out. A full unit of plasma brought him back from the edge. And although I might try to pass myself off as one Tough Hombre, I will manly admit I shed more than a few tears of sheer joy when I did recover him.

Been watching this thread, and pulling for you...
Best Ending possible! The eye-sting was close reading this. :wink:

Cheers,
Matt

Barracuda
02-19-2011, 10:42 PM
well just thought i would add to this .

She has healed her bits up (her raisen has grown back bigger LOL)
Physically she is fine in fact she gained a bit to much weight back from to many treats and sofa time. (to much time doing nothing)

Took her with us up country last weekend for the first time out since we got her back.

Mentally it is a different story, she is pretty skittish warning barks at noises or things a distance away, unsure of people and backs away from them.
protective of her personal space in the cab of the truck and she really HATES the Cold and Wind.

She is fine if people ignore her as she just hangs about and watches you but people try to interact or invade her space which she wants nothing to do with? (She is perfectly fine with us and acts normal with us)

I figure keep bringing her out even if i dont run her with the others and she will come back around and dont let people rattle her .

We hunt with a few folks in the spring and winter, take her to the local fair every year, go fishing in the boat docks etc etc so she is normally pretty good with people and getting out in general so it was a bit of a suprise to see her so skittish last week.

Hopefully she is back up to snuff come bear season it will be warmer and she has always done well on bears ..

BCHunterTV
02-20-2011, 06:14 PM
i think she'll be fine come winter Kyle, I'd be a tad nervous to venture out that far myself after being out for that period of time in the cold.

defiantly need to run some bears together this spring!

BlacktailStalker
02-20-2011, 06:45 PM
I've seen things traumatize dogs before.
Like people, they lose trust and takes a while to get it back (if they do)
I would think spending time with her where she experienced her ordeal (the bush) just one on one, might help.
A couple confidence boosters (like making a tree) will probably help too... yup bears aren't far off but enough of that talk, I'm enjoying the late snow :)

BCHunterTV
02-20-2011, 06:57 PM
i agree Andy, a couple trees with baying hounds should get her blood pumping again

RayHill
02-20-2011, 08:07 PM
Cut her a big fat steak for a good treat!!! Welcoming her home!