PDA

View Full Version : Help me with Christmas shopping please!!!

lpac_hunter
11-23-2010, 01:14 PM
So my father and I have just got our firearms license and we are working on getting our hunting license now. As we are just getting into the sport we literally have no hunting gear what so ever.

So I would like to get a hunting related gift for him this year. I was wondering if you guys could help me find a sweet gift that every hunter needs, other than a firearm. Be it little gadgets, knives, gps, cleaning kits. Any ideas just post them I need all the help I can get.

Thanks in advance!!!

tristanmac
11-23-2010, 01:19 PM
cant go wrong with a good knife or a gps.

pnbrock
11-23-2010, 01:22 PM
Gift certificate outdoor store

Ruger4
11-23-2010, 01:28 PM
a good backpak to put all his goodies in !! :mrgreen:

3kills
11-23-2010, 01:29 PM
gc is the way to go he can get what he wants then. but if u are against gf like some people then i would say a day pack with a few other odds and ends like a knife maybe a compass stuff like that

lpac_hunter
11-23-2010, 01:32 PM
Thanks guys, gift card is a good idea, didn't think about it. I might get him a gift card and something else little.

CanuckShooter
11-23-2010, 03:12 PM
Gift cards suck imho shows lack of thought into a gift....

Some ideas:

bone saw
lanzky diamond sharpening kit
good compass
camo anything ~ shirts/pants/balaclava/toque/hats/underwear/socks/facemask
flagging ribbon
gambrel
camp chair
suspenders
belts / shell holders
head lamp
emergency first aid kit

brian
11-23-2010, 03:29 PM
Nothing says I love you dad better than a great hunting knife, the tool every hunter needs.

boxhitch
11-23-2010, 03:34 PM
Show him you care about his safety
Compass and handbook
good topo map of favourite area
survival gear (fire starter, thermal blanket, )
Gun club membership
BCWF membership and BCWF lottery tickets

DGuest
11-23-2010, 03:39 PM
I would say good knife or compass, your knife is easily your most important piece of gear besides your rifle for hunting and it's just good to have on you when ever your in woods regardless of what your doing.

DGuest
11-23-2010, 03:41 PM
I take back what I just said, most important piece of gear is on your shoulders... get a good survival book or hunting book, maybe a hunting magazine subscription!

Gear like knifes can be really personal, even just how it feels in your hand, I always appreciate what people get me but I tend to stick with the stuff I bought my self cause I spend a ton of time thinking and researching about what I will get, why, pros cons etc.

NIHunter
11-23-2010, 03:47 PM
Waterproof matches....

ibehuntin
11-23-2010, 03:53 PM
I think a custom knife (like the ones that a few members build and sell on this sight) with the sheath personalized for him could be a really special gift. Every hunter needs one.

lpac_hunter
11-23-2010, 04:10 PM
Does anybody have a preferred knife for skinning and gutting???

CanuckShooter
11-23-2010, 04:17 PM
Gerber....mighty fine steel.

mxracer328
11-23-2010, 04:20 PM
Gift cards suck imho shows lack of thought into a gift....

Some ideas:

bone saw
lanzky diamond sharpening kit
good compass
camo anything ~ shirts/pants/balaclava/toque/hats/underwear/socks/facemask
flagging ribbon
gambrel
camp chair
suspenders
belts / shell holders
head lamp
emergency first aid kit

canuck shooter pretty much got it there, to add to it like many others said,

a day pack

sparkes3
11-23-2010, 04:24 PM
good boots

warnniklz
11-23-2010, 04:55 PM
BOOTS, BOOTS, BOOTS... nothing like hunting with cold, wet feet that are full of blisters... good pair of boots all the way.

knighthunter
11-23-2010, 05:00 PM
cant go wrong with a good knife or a gps.

This sounds like a great idea.

todbartell
11-23-2010, 05:05 PM
good head lamp

Dukeofearle2000
11-23-2010, 06:06 PM
Is no one going to say binoculars. Won,t be much to skin or gut if you can't see.

lpac_hunter
11-23-2010, 07:41 PM
Thanks for all the input, on the right track now. thanks.

JAFA
11-24-2010, 09:08 AM
compass and entry level orienteering course.

J_T
11-24-2010, 09:11 AM
Gotta have a good pack first. Decide what/how you're going to hunt and get an appropriate pack. Binos and headlamp are close seconds. Boots and clothing.

dougal
11-24-2010, 08:25 PM
I have found that hunting gear is the most personal stuff I own the style of camo the type of pack the shape of a knife how it fits into your hands the way a tool feels when used by one person as opposed to your experience with the same tool.
look at a 300 win mag rifle some swear by them and love the 3km shot area it provides while others like an old 30-30 or ex military handmedown thats good to 100
I would say a box with the whole backwoods map on disc so you and dad can look for new hunting areas and a shop with pop at the local hunting supply place would be awesome.
and if you have to by anything for him it would have to be a butout tool as the look on peoples faces when you tell them what its for is priceless

Slime green cat
11-24-2010, 08:33 PM
Another vote for a knife :wink: but a really nice one ... maybe a custom handmade, or just a really high end production knife .. then make it personal with some engraving .

MuleyMadness
11-24-2010, 08:34 PM
The best pair of boots you can find...or a gift certificate for a pair. Everything else is just icing on the cake.

kodimack
11-24-2010, 08:36 PM
A good knife is a must ,will be with you for life and don't forget some thing to keep it sharp. a LED head lamp a pack for all the survival gear and other goodies one will collect over the years.
My 2 cents

cavebear
11-24-2010, 08:46 PM
the one thing all of us hunters buy ourselves is great guns, great gear, etc.
The one thing we usually put off is safety, buy him a spot then he always has access to help.
A spot with some safety and emergency gear would be a great gift that also shows you want to be able to hunt with him for years to come.

Happy hunting :-D

Gilmore
11-24-2010, 08:53 PM
My favorite peice of hunting gear is my pack. I personally have the Badlands 2800. I had a mediocre pack for years and now that I have a good one I couldn't imagine life without it. A good pack would be an awesome gift.

Martin_Hunter
11-25-2010, 12:18 AM
So my father and I have just got our firearms license and we are working on getting our hunting license now. As we are just getting into the sport we literally have no hunting gear what so ever.

So I would like to get a hunting related gift for him this year. I was wondering if you guys could help me find a sweet gift that every hunter needs, other than a firearm. Be it little gadgets, knives, gps, cleaning kits. Any ideas just post them I need all the help I can get.

Thanks in advance!!!

I'd buy a Marttiini skinner or hunting knife from ebay.They are made in Finland and they're so sharp that you can shave with them.They're between $23-27.Here's one of them:

http://cgi.ebay.com/MARTTIINI-Condor-Utility-Hunter-Skinning-Knife-Martini-/200416777181?pt=Collectible_Knives&hash=item2ea9c553dd

Good luck

dutchie
11-25-2010, 12:40 AM
Does anybody have a preferred knife for skinning and gutting???

I find that the Spyderco are some of the sharpest knifes in the bush.

Some say they are too sharp because they are tough to sharpen.

The one that me and my dad use has gone through about2 deer and 3 bear this year without a single sharpen... just do not cut the hair with it and it should last alot longer!

I am not a huge fan of gift certificates becasue I find it to be a "well i didn't want to think too hard about what you might really want so you do it yourself."kind of gift.

Dutchie