PDA

View Full Version : 8-Foot Skeena Grizz

40incher
06-01-2006, 02:45 PM
First of all thanks to Clarke for posting the picture of my bear in the Gallery. We were having trouble figuring out how to do that.

My name is Terri and I'm posting from my husband's site as I have not used this forum previously. I became interested in harvesting a grizzly after being on a hunt two years ago when my 18 year-old son took a large male grizzly cleanly with one shot. Since then it has been a passion, and can't honestly believe how keen I have been to get a bear.

We saw what we think was the same bear on the first day of the hunt on a green slide area. After a long stalk through deep snow in the timber we were able to reach the area. We saw the bear feeding but could not get a good enough look to ensure it was a boar, so we did not take a shot. It was also late in the day and we wanted to find a better route out.

The second day was uneventful. No grizzly seen; just blacks, goats and lots of moose on the slides. Saw some very large grizzly tracks in the mud though, which encouraged us that a large bear was near.

On the third day we spotted what we think is the same bear from the first day. Same colouration and long snout. As we were closer this time it was instantly obvious this was a good boar. He was wandering away from us in the open at about 500 yards. The wind was in our face and things were perfect. We closed the distance to about 70 yards and I got set up in a sitting postion using my knees as a rest. My husband gave a low calf moose call and the huge bear stopped, turned his head slowly towards us with a real menacing glare. He then turned his body fully broadside without taking his eyes off of us. At that second Mike said "take him" and I squeezed off holding just behind the shoulder.

The bear reared up on its hinds biting and swatting at the spot I hit him, right through both lungs. He began running and when I took my second shot he went into a roll, ass over tea kettle as is said. It was all over very quickly and it was then that I realized how my heart was pounding.

He is a beautiful bear, 8 1/2 feet across the fronts and almost 8 feet nose to tail. His ears are fully 9 inches apart and it looks like the skull will make the BC book according to the compulsory inspection measurements. The hide is a light colour on the head and shoulders with dark legs and huge claws. It is quite old with broken fangs and worn molars.

We brought out the meat and it looks very good. Not sure if we'll go with a life-size mount or not, although everyone who sees it says "ya gotta".

So I feel very satisfied, and at this point have no urge to kill another one. But my hubby says "just give it time and you may be surprised".

talver
06-01-2006, 02:52 PM
seen the pics and all i have to say is wow what a bear and im jealous

mark
06-01-2006, 02:56 PM
congrads on a very nice bear, my girlfriend is gonna be sooooo jealous as she has a bella coola grizz draw, but we could only go there for 4 days and did not even see a grizz or any sign. work situation wont let us try again this year. :frown:

Elkhound
06-01-2006, 03:06 PM
Nice bear Terri. Showing us guys how it's done eh? Saw the pic Clarke put up. Love the diiference in color from the main body and the arms. Is there really that much of a difference or is it the lighting? I know the left arm is bloody but the right looks very dark as well.

Here is the link to the pic for others

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=2730&limit=recent

MB_Boy
06-01-2006, 03:14 PM
Awesome work Terri!! Congrats on a great looking bear.......thanks for sharing the story.

Gateholio
06-01-2006, 03:17 PM
Here is Terri and her beautiful grizzly!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/CAE74TUF.jpg

I just need to inform you of forum rules- We need to know your rifle, cartridge, bullet ype, grain of projectile, and velocity. :-P :-P :-P

Elkhound
06-01-2006, 03:20 PM
And for the record, I sure am glad thats in a different class in the bear contest than my bear:shock: Is Terri a member? I am bettin that a few here are hoping she is not:wink:

youngfellla
06-01-2006, 03:22 PM
I just need to inform you of forum rules- We need to know your rifle, cartridge, bullet ype, grain of projectile, and velocity. :-P :-P

Yes, and also the EXACT location of where the bear was killed :wink:

Seriously though, that is an awesome bear! Well done!:-D

Maxx
06-01-2006, 04:24 PM
WOW, WOW, WOW - That is an amazing bear, WELL done!

CanAm500
06-01-2006, 04:53 PM
Wow, that is a huge griz!!!

goathead
06-01-2006, 04:57 PM
Man if that dosent get everybody excited I dont know what will.Great story and another awesome region 6 grizz. I have got to get A tag for sure. congrats again Terri.

BlacktailStalker
06-01-2006, 05:04 PM
THAT is a hog. Congrats.
Hey goathead, nice mount in your pic.

bsa30-06
06-01-2006, 05:25 PM
Thats a monster bear, congrats.

timber
06-01-2006, 05:34 PM
way to go thats a nice bear,

mainland hunter
06-01-2006, 05:56 PM
beauty bear, congratulations.(id say you gotta do a lifesize on that but im probably a bit biased towards that)

BCLongshot
06-01-2006, 07:19 PM
AMAZING !!!

WE are so damn blessed to live in this province.

That pic is awseome.

My wife says it's girl power. uurrgg

lip_ripper00
06-01-2006, 07:23 PM
whoo boy!!! great looking bear.! a big thumbs up. makes me want to take one more trip north before the 15th. Congrats! Steve:grin:

slyfox
06-01-2006, 08:01 PM
Awesome bear congrats.

gary mok
06-01-2006, 08:17 PM
WOW.....that's cool man I am so jealous of you!!!:-P

3kills
06-01-2006, 08:22 PM
nice bear and i think u should get a full mount done for sure....

FlyingHigh
06-01-2006, 09:47 PM
sweeeeeeet. that's a freaking nice bear. RESPECT!!!!

todbartell
06-01-2006, 09:51 PM
super job :-D

bcsteve
06-01-2006, 10:03 PM
Not bad.....for a girl!:roll: :wink: :-D

partsman
06-01-2006, 10:10 PM
Not bad.....for a girl!:roll: :wink: :-D

Oh boy!

I can just imagine the part of your anatomy she will have hanging on her wall if she catches you!:shock:

PGKris
06-02-2006, 12:50 AM
Wowza thats a friggin monster!

Steeleco
06-02-2006, 01:27 AM
Nice job guys, that beast is the reason I sleep with one eye open in camp!!!

Thunderstix
06-02-2006, 06:19 AM
I have a new hero!

CHilko21
06-02-2006, 08:21 PM
Wow, what a gorgeous bear. Congradulations Terri, he's a monster.

elkster
06-03-2006, 03:37 PM
That is one big big bear. Well done.

TherealSLYFOX
06-04-2006, 07:44 PM
Thats an absolutely gorgeous bear makes Sly's look like a cub.:grin:

40incher
06-07-2006, 02:09 PM
This is Terri reporting back.

So you want to know what I used, do ya?! Its a girl's gun, an M77 Ruger in .257 Roberts, with a 117 grain Federal Premium High Energy Nosler Partition bullet. As far as velocity you'll have to go look at a box, I don't have one here with me. I've used it on all the animals I've taken. I've had guys say its too small for a grizzly but its the only gun I shoot. I wasn't going to go hunting grizz with something I was afraid was going to knock me off my feet (even though I was sitting) or cause me to flinch. I waited for the perfect shot to be presented to me, and then there was no looking back. I would recommend it to any juniors/ladies that are looking for an effective gun. Just because you shoot a "big" gun doesn't make you bigger:eek:, or so I've been told....

I won't take long shots, but thats just me. I want to be no farther than 250 yds. that's it. I took a 300 lb. 9-year old Mt. Goat billy at 175yds, put the bullet right through the left shouldler into the lungs and out the other shoulder. He only took 2 steps and was done. I've also taken moose, deer and stone sheep with it. Now I'm looking for an elk, but my hubby gets first shot (If he's quick!).

Oh right, YoungFella wanted to know exactly where I shot my grizzly. :confused: Right behind the right shoulder :wink: , through the lungs and into the left shoulder. Second shot was through the heart.

As for his colouring, really dark legs and really golden across the shoulders and head. Had him green-scored yesterday by a local BC Records Book scorer and he went 23 5/16. This is my first bear ever, and it'll probably be my last. :wink:

I don't know how to post more pictures but Mike sent another one to Gatehouse last week. Perhaps that could be pasted on by Clarke?

For those concerned about the contest? Relax..... I'm not a member of the site, although I may join for next year. Just to keep you boys honest.

Can't wait 'til August and looking for rams.

Elkhound
06-07-2006, 02:23 PM
Nice shootin Terri. Again, very nice bear. Congrats

mainland hunter
06-07-2006, 02:31 PM
i got a buddy who uses the 257 roberts for everything, but on i grizz you get extra credit, shot placement is key but im thinking you had someone with a bigger gun for back-up, i woulda. again, beauty bear

Maxx
06-07-2006, 03:13 PM
I too have a 257 Roberts, Lots of credit to you for using this on a great bear, it sure did the trick!

are you going to life size mount it?

youngfellla
06-07-2006, 03:15 PM
Oh right, YoungFella wanted to know exactly where I shot my grizzly. :confused: Right behind the right shoulder :wink: , through the lungs and into the left shoulder. Second shot was through the heart.

Ha! Smarty-pants!:grin:

Congrats again on the grizzly, sounds like you did some fine shooting with that .257!:-D

Gateholio
06-07-2006, 03:47 PM
Good Placement + Good Projectile = Dead animal...:-D

Rob
06-07-2006, 05:00 PM
Awesome job!:-D

abbyfireguy
06-15-2006, 11:47 AM
That is one fine speciman of a Grizzly Terri!!!
Nice shooting, I hope the taxidermist does a great job for you,whatever style mount you choose ....
Now my son understands why I have the gun hanging by my bed in the wall tent with 3 in the mag ...
I really hate those snuffling noises outside the tent at night..:eek:

death-junky
06-15-2006, 01:50 PM
I always new there were some huge bears in the skeena area. That is were I use to do alot of hunting. I have seen bears that look the size of trucks.
ttyal
Riley

bckev
06-15-2006, 02:17 PM
Very nice bear.

Will
06-15-2006, 02:50 PM
Awesome Bear ! Well done and Congrats :cool: