PDA

View Full Version : Deer Moving in the Cold and High Winds

TheProvider
11-22-2010, 05:35 PM
Been super windy and chillier than normal here in Squamish. -4 but with the wind -16, forecast same for tomorrow. Lots of deer movement, bumped into the phantom deer tracks today, i'd say there pushing 4 inchs long and pretty wide. Been finding his tracks since august, haven't seen him yet though. His track is the only track I've seen lately that isn't paired up. Maybe he's too old an not worried about the does? Past his breeding prime? However the last two mornings I've also came across 3-4 sets of coyote tracks right where I park my truck to hike into my spot. Hopefully I see him before the coyotes do.

MichaelB
11-22-2010, 06:05 PM
Good luck! Been the same for me tracking a "print" since summer and haven't gotten a look at him yet. Spooked him once and just saw "meat" run through the timber. Hopefully we both are lucky......and hopefully it's not the same buck!:shock:

elkdom
11-22-2010, 06:08 PM
Been super windy and chillier than normal here in Squamish. -4 but with the wind -16, forecast same for tomorrow. Lots of deer movement, bumped into the phantom deer tracks today, i'd say there pushing 4 inchs long and pretty wide. Been finding his tracks since august, haven't seen him yet though. His track is the only track I've seen lately that isn't paired up. Maybe he's too old an not worried about the does? Past his breeding prime? However the last two mornings I've also came across 3-4 sets of coyote tracks right where I park my truck to hike into my spot. Hopefully I see him before the coyotes do.

unless this particular buck has had a "vasectomy":shock: ,,,
he is still lookin for love,

if he is travelling?, then he has a "plan", and that will include some feisty does,,,large bucks will travel and continue to rut as long as there is a doe left in the country that is still in estrus!

TheProvider
11-22-2010, 06:25 PM
MB leave my deer alone ;) haha I'm sure its not the same one but you never know

MichaelB
11-22-2010, 06:30 PM
Probably not, a lot of country out there! But just in case.....stay away from MY deer!:mrgreen:

TheProvider
11-22-2010, 06:35 PM
Well if you get him and it's the same buck then I expect pics. An shoot a few of those yotes while your at it

MichaelB
11-22-2010, 10:13 PM
An shoot a few of those yotes while your at it

Dec 16th.......the yotes in these parts don`t stand a chance! Actually region 8 archery has been extended to the 20th, and I imagine that a couple of coyote days are necessary out there.........and then it`s Christmas.......so, Dec 27th, the yotes in these parts don`t stand a chance!

cloverphil
11-22-2010, 10:15 PM
we saw 3 moose out there in the spring, are you sure those are deer tracks you're following ?

seanps
11-23-2010, 08:41 AM
Me three.

Cold day out on Sunday. Hope we're not all chasing the same one. :)

TheProvider
11-23-2010, 08:45 AM
we saw 3 moose out there in the spring, are you sure those are deer tracks you're following ?

No its definately not moose, I know that forsure. Had lots of elk tracks at my one spot in the late summer.

TheProvider
11-23-2010, 08:46 AM
High winds still going strong, went to go out this morning and it wasn't long and I came across a massive blown down tree. Had to lock up the breaks pretty fast. Didn't have the saw with me. Guess I'll try to get out in an hr or two... -21 with the wind